• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Launches Early 2018 (PS4)

Since the camera is free now, I asked Cory to add first person view for the game (not FP play) just static view to scrutinize the environments and admire the details and to look for secrets. This would be perfect for taking pictures. A photomode as advanced as Horizon would be welcome too.

If this game doesn't pack a fully featured photomode at launch, SSM has fucked up majorly.

For those still wondering about this frozen giant in the background:
image_god_of_war-35800-3634_0009.jpg

According to the site, he is just a STONE MASON. The huge hammer is his working tool and for further proof, he has a burin implanted on his head by someone else we don't know who he is.

B.O.O.M

According to the site, he is just a STONE MASON. The huge hammer is is his working tool and for further proof, he has a burin implanted on his head by someone else we don't know who he is.

Just a stone mason? the fk kind of masons did Norse mythology have 0_o

According to the site, he is just a STONE MASON. The huge hammer is his working tool and for further proof, he has a burin implanted on his head by someone else we don't know who he is.
I wonder if this is related to a God of War take on this Norse myth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleipnir
A stonemason/builder struck a deal with the gods about building a fort/wall/etc for them; as it seems he is going to win the bargain, Loki is threatened with death if he can't out-scheme the builder. Loki is successful and in the end, the mason is revealed to be a Jotunn in disguise and Thor kills him with a Mjolnir to the skull

But after further thinking, the scenery would be very redundant and not as diverse and lush as Greek and Norse. Almost everyhting is desert.
Look for example Assassin's Creed: Orgins.
Comments like this is why Origins doing Egypt is a good thing. Egypt is far from just desert; it's way more environmentally diverse than how it is often portrayed in fiction

Comments like this is why Origins is going to so good. Egypt is far from just desert; it's way more environmentally diverse than how it is often portrayed in fiction

I know. But I meant the parts around the pyramids and some key monuments may look desertic at most. I know that Egypt has many other great sceneries, but I didn't expect Assassin's Creed: Origins to go visit other diverse parts in just one game.
Tbh, I expected GOW to be set only in snowy places :p, but from what we saw in the last trailer, and the leaked artworks we will visit breathtaking places.
Adding such variety would take so much time. I always welcome that if done well.

So given the new approach to QTEs
It’s just that from now on, they’ll be under the player’s control, triggered by the same actions and agency as everything else in the game. There’s a grab button. There’s a ‘hit with axe’ button. Players know how to use such things, so Barlog is going to trust them to know how to combine them at the right time for the right, destructive purpose
Can we assume what's happening here isn't a cutscene but a traditional moment like in past games, but instead of prompts, the pauses are where you press the obvious button? Punch, punch, axe, etc.?

Loudninja

A variation of the quick time event will still appear in the game. For big, elaborate boss battles, Barlog said, players can expect the “Track and Field” design, referring to the classic NES game in which players quickly spammed buttons to create a feeling of physical exertion. In dramatic sequences, God of War might ask the player to spam “X” or twirl the control sticks to mimic the action happening on screen. But at no point will the game require the player to tap a button at a precise moment.

“[QTE’s] are cool,” said Barlog, “but we’re finding a better way.”
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/15/15811678/god-of-war-ps4-director-no-qtes-quick-time-events

Can we assume what's happening here isn't a cutscene but a traditional moment like in past games, but instead of prompts, the pauses are where you press the obvious button? Punch, punch, axe, etc.?

I imagine something similar to climbing and hitting the Colossi at will in Shadow Of The Colossus.

jayu26

I still need a proper demonstration with button press overlay to understand what he is actually saying.

Da-Kid

Idk if Kratos can handle the Egyptian Gods... they're pretty fucked up as is. I think he would leave their crazy asses alone.

I can't understand how the gameplay of this new GOW can't please the fans and the newcomers. Please be a jump button (don't kill the hope for us).

Yea but besides the pause at the top of the head, everything looks too fast.

Like last year. I get you new exclusive interesting infos from this French gaming site interview:
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/videos/rep...ealisateur-repond-a-nos-questions-e3-2017.htm

- This GOW has been in development for at least 5 years (just after the release of GOW: Ascension, I presume)
- Cory Barlog considers that all past 7 GOW games only constitute one big chapter of Kratos' life, and this is his chapter 2 (this means maybe more sequels will come to expand this chapter 2).
- Cory isn't implicit about this and cries it loud, but I will still put in spoiler tag:
Kratos didn't die at the end of GOW3, and in this interview he said: "Kratos realized that he is cursed and can't even die, and he is condemned to wander for the eternity, and if he doesn't want to get insane, he needs to change". In some of last year's interviews, he said that no one would die in this game, neither Kratos nor his son and a sequel is still planned with him. So quit the idea of him (at least) dying.
This doesn't surprise me at all tbh.
- The journalist asked him, that in previous episodes, you recuperate weapons directly from bosses and if this is the case here in this GOW. Cory replied that getting items,weapons and progressing in this game is unique, but there are some cool elements from the past games they kept and that they will be used in an adequate way. He also insinuated that getting weapons from bosses is kept too.
- This GOW will keep the trend of the epic bombastic intros of he previous games. In fact for such epic intros, they got inspirations from Indiana Jones and James Bond

Even Le Monde journal talked about this game: http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/articl...soin-d-un-nouveau-depart_5145440_4408996.html

and asked Cory about the games they inspired him for this game and the list was: Assassin's Creed, les Batman [Arkham], Tomb Raider, The Last of Us... but the game will have its own identity since the first GOW started and wasn't similar to any other game at that time.

They did name-drop Zelda as a big influence in the other interviews, so I imagine weapons and items will be found and discovered in a similar manner

They did name-drop Zelda as a big influence in the other interviews, so I imagine weapons and items will be found and discovered in a similar manner

David Jaffe always intended GOW to be a Zelda like GOW, with open settings and big focus on exploration, but it wasn't feasible at that time. In this GOW, you roam alot and search for many hidden items, idols, relics, etc. I bet you can find some secret weapons too. I mentioned last year, that a French journalist (from the same French site) who attended the behind closed door demo, saw how Kratos couldn't reach a hidden object in a high level. He threw his axe on it and the axe brought it back to him.

I like how this game is no longer just a wave killing game to get to next level, but instead an adventure hack'n slash with RPG gameplay.
Only a sequel in a form of a reboot could do all of this, but changing all the blueprints of the "first chapter".

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hope we see valkyries and Freyja here

damn valkyrie profile

I'd love the design of this game to harken back to Pandoras Temple. Maybe with more openness. Some people don't like backtracking but I love an intricately designed location where you revisit areas with new abilities and discover new things.

Like last year. I get you new exclusive interesting infos from this French gaming site interview:
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/videos/rep...ealisateur-repond-a-nos-questions-e3-2017.htm

- This GOW has been in development for at least 5 years (just after the release of GOW: Ascension, I presume)
- Cory Barlog considers that all past 7 GOW games only constitute one big chapter of Kratos' life, and this is his chapter 2 (this means maybe more sequels will come to expand this chapter 2).
- Cory isn't implicit about this and cries it loud, but I will still put in spoiler tag:
Kratos didn't die at the end of GOW3, and in this interview he said: "Kratos realized that he is cursed and can't even die, and he is condemned to wander for the eternity, and if he doesn't want to get insane, he needs to change". In some of last year's interviews, he said that no one would die in this game, neither Kratos nor his son and a sequel is still planned with him. So quit the idea of him (at least) dying.
This doesn't surprise me at all tbh.
- The journalist asked him, that in previous episodes, you recuperate weapons directly from bosses and if this is the case here in this GOW. Cory replied that getting items,weapons and progressing in this game is unique, but there are some cool elements from the past games they kept and that they will be used in an adequate way. He also insinuated that getting weapons from bosses is kept too.
- This GOW will keep the trend of the epic bombastic intros of he previous games. In fact for such epic intros, they got inspirations from Indiana Jones and James Bond

Eeven Le Monde journal talked about this game: http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/articl...soin-d-un-nouveau-depart_5145440_4408996.html

Fantastic, thank you for sharing! re: the spoiler block, it's a bit absurd, but
I was rewatching the E3 trailer the other night and couldn't get over how disappointed I would be if Kratos died at the end of 2018 game and was replaced by his son for the franchise's future. I feel like there's a lot of interesting places to take Kratos, alongside the dynamic with his son. Kratos being condemned to wander for eternity is horrifying, but could lead to some fascinating character and storytelling opportunities.

It's hard to think of losing that amazing iconic character design, too, it's damn hard to follow up to that. I think they've done a great job of taking Kratos' design from Greek mythology to Norse mythology, without losing too many of the iconic details of the character.

I'd love the design of this game to harken back to Pandoras Temple. Maybe with more openness. Some people don't like backtracking but I love an intricately designed location where you revisit areas with new abilities and discover new things.

Pandora's Temple was amazing, it's the reason I can't comfortably put GoWII above GoWI (have to leave it as a tie!), as moving through the temple was such a memorable experience.

Fantastic, thank you for sharing! re: the spoiler block, it's a bit absurd, but
I was rewatching the E3 trailer the other night and couldn't get over how disappointed I would be if Kratos died at the end of 2018 game and was replaced by his son for the franchise's future. I feel like there's a lot of interesting places to take Kratos, alongside the dynamic with his son. Kratos being condemned to wander for eternity is horrifying, but could lead to some fascinating character and storytelling opportunities.

It's hard to think of losing that amazing iconic character design, too, it's damn hard to follow up to that. I think they've done a great job of taking Kratos' design from Greek mythology to Norse mythology, without losing too many of the iconic details of the character.

You are welcome.

I agree with what you said. I can't imagine the series going anywhere
without Kratos

Kratos surely has PTSD from after GoW III from all his epic journeys and constant killing.
The stuff he has left behind him is horrific.

He's actually a fascinating character to explore in this game if Cory explores that aspect well.

Kratos is one of, if not my favourite PS character, but the extra depth layered on for "Chapter 2" of his life story could be incredible narratively speaking.

Never thought i would be this hype for GOW but they saying all the right things .
I did not like or hated Kratos so once they make him interesting that is a big plus for me .

FelipeMGM

We are getting sequels to some of my favorite games and franchises next year with RDR2, Shenmue III, Far Cry 5, Psychonauts 2, remakes to all time classics with Shadow Of The Colossus and System Shock and a freakin Spider-Man game made by one of the best developers in the world, and YET

This right here is my most anticipated game for 2018. And despite enjoying the PS2 GoW's back in the day, I never holded this franchise too dearly. Everything about this game is hitting the right boxes with me, and before last year's reveal I would never guess I would feel this way. I cant wait to play it

I hope that's the case. I'm curious if you HAVE to hit a certain button or if you have options. It'd be probably the greatest technical feat if so.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd actually like to see Kratos take on some lesser seen Gods in gaming like taking on the Hindu Gods though that might be a bit too offensive considering they're still worshiped.

I'd actually like to see Kratos take on some lesser seen Gods in gaming

Slavic mythology is almost never explored, and they got some cool stuff, like the duality between Perun and Veles, Chernobog, Mokosh, Svarog etc. That said, it follows some of the same archetypes most Western myths do, so it isn't exactly super distinct.

klier

I have a bad feeling about this game.
I absolutely dislike the kid with a passion, and overall think the game is becoming another generic Sony production like Uncharted 4.

A shame, because GOW3 is one of the greatest games of all time.

Top Bottom