• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Master Post

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
TXYHRcS.jpg

A compelling story within a beautifully realised world, filled with likeable characters brought to life with sincere writing.
Aside from those enormous pluses, it's simply a joy to run around in the world, fighting machines and taking photos.
It's rare that I start an open world game and don't get distracted. Thoroughly enjoyed this, and looking forward to seeing how Guerrilla Games takes things forward.

Aiming to finish by July:
Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City (PS4)

Notes:
Been seriously slacking lately, but at least I can focus on other open world titles now that Horizon is done.
The Ringed City is taking so long because I want to record commentary with my playthrough, and I don't get to do so very often.

Azriell

Shovel Knight - Specter of Torment
Platform: Switch
Time: 05:56
Date: 06.19
Score: (5/5)

Specter of Torment is easily my favorite of the piece of Shovel Knight thus far. The controls are the best they've ever been in the series, and Specter Knight is a pleasure to play as. Once again, Yacht Club Games does a great job of presenting a minimal but effective story. The art is just as beautiful as ever. Everything just comes together to create something truly spectactular.

Original Post

30. Limbo
3 hours
Rating 8/10

header.jpg

This game was really great, but coming off of Inside, it's definitely showing its age. Still, it was wonderfully unsettling and the puzzles were very well designed.

31-32. Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches
4 hours + 3 hours
Rating: 9/10

header.jpg
header.jpg

I love Dishonored. I probably should have finished these before finishing 2, but the DLC announcement poked me to go back and finish these to learn more about Daud/Billie. Needless to say, these DLC campaigns were both fantastic. I could always do with more Dishonored.

33. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (Main Scenario Quest)
Unknown (100+) hours
Rating 9/10

header.jpg

Finally finished the MSQ through 3.5 in preparation for Stormblood. Only took me 2 years! It was great, but I wasn't always full paying attention to the story. Still, the game itself is one of my favorite things ever.

Skikkiks

Master Post

Game 9: Yooka Laylee (PS4) | 21 Hours | 04/16/2017 | 4/5

I backed this game and honestly I liked it a lot, enough to 100%. I understand the problems people have with the game, and I don't necessarily disagree. That being said, I thought the foundation they set with this game was good and I look forward to more improved outings from Playtonic.

Game 10: Little Nightmares (PS4) | ~3 Hours | 04/29/2017 | 4.5/5

Little Nightmares was a game I was looking forward to since I saw the teaser for this when it was tentatively named Hunger and having played it I am thoroughly happy with it. The game is in the same vein as last year's INSIDE but I enjoyed this more due to it's creepier setting and enemies which made for a truly haunting atmosphere and experience.

voodoovinceremastered-1280-1492466165310_400w.jpg

Game 11: Voodoo Vince Remastered (PC) | 10 Hours | 05/13/2017 | 3.5/5

Voodoo Vince was something I thought looked cool as a kid but never had an Xbox to play it, so I bought the remaster as soon as it was available and I liked it. It's clearly a product of its time as a early gen 6 platformer with its rather stiff controls and questionable design choices for some levels and bosses but the game did have a certain charm to it. The remastered visuals are good, the supporting characters are generally varied and the music is aces. The different voodoo super animations and how the enemies respond to them are pretty good too.

Game 12: RIME (PS4) | ~4 Hours | 05/31/2017 | 4/5

RIME's a really nice game in the vein of an ICO or Last Guardian. The game has beautiful art direction and each area looks more varied and beautiful then the last. The gameplay is what you would expect, more focus is put on exploring every inch of the areas rather than the puzzles, which while serviceable are fairly unimpressive. It's a fun ride but a 4 hour game at the price point they're selling it at might be a turn off to some. For me, it was a good game.

Game 13: Typoman (PC) | 3 Hours | 06/05/2017 | 3/5

Typical 2D puzzle platformer affair. The only real thing the game has going for it above other is its titular spelling gimmick which I think it did well. Stuff like placing a P next to poisonous GAS to get a GASP of fresh air is a fun puzzle. Beyond that, I can't say it was anything special.

Game 14: Flow Free Hexes [DLC] (Android) | 10+ Hours | 06/17/2017 | 3.5/5

This fucking game shit out another 700 levels or something preposterous like that for 3 dollars so I've been plugging away at it for the last couple of months. I've gotten good at it to the point where I don't have much trouble completing even the largest of the levels the game has to offer. At this point I only have one thing left to do in the game, and it's time consuming enough that it's gonna get its own specific game insert lol.

Tizoc

LJ0fULT.png

Sonic & Tails 2, aka Sonic Triple Trouble is a 2D platformer released on the Game Gear. While it visually looks nice, with the whole game being bigger than its predecessors, I found it to be pretty bland and the OST was a major letdown compared to the first 8-bit Sonic game.
While playing as Tails in this is kinda neat, the overall game just did nothing for me.

theBmZ

Original Post

9. Mass Effect: Andromeda - 5.5/10. 75 hours
Wow. What is there to say that hasn't been said already. This game is a chore. The story isn't particularly compelling. There are many loose ends that will probably never be resolved. The writing isn't great. The facial animation isn't great, but it's the least of this games' problems. The open worlds are terrible, empty, mountainous wastelands with slightly different coats of paint. There is no real sense of discovery, because there is nothing to find. Just boring, tedious, repetitive fetch quests. I enjoyed most of the companions. The combat is good? I'm not sure. Mechanically it's pretty sound. I just found combat to be repetitive and boring. The game is riddled with bugs. Be it animation, environment, texture loading, AI, you name it. There are glitches galore in just about every part of this game. I'm so glad to be done with it. I don't even really feel like properly organizing my thoughts about it. I'm just glad it's over.

Next Game - ReCore

Hustler

Original Post

Game #19: Owlboy - 10 Hours, Completed on June 3, 2017
Platform: Steam
Love the aesthetic, music, atmosphere of the game. Reminds me of the great 2d games back in the day. I do wish there was a tad more variety and better use of the store rather than mostly health upgrades/minor power increases. But that is just a minor gripe. I enjoyed the game 9/10

hqdefault.jpg

Game #20: Abzu - 3-4 Hours, Completed on May 20, 2017
Platform: PS4
Journey was much better, more inspiring. I still enjoyed my time with ABZU, however the game became very repetitive even in the short time spent with it. 7/10

abzu-pubblicato-nuovo-trailer-con-riconoscimenti-della-stampa-v3-279663-350x16.jpg

Game #21: Overwatch - 30 Hours, Ongoing
Platform: PC
I was very hesitant to play Overwatch, I was not a big fan of TF2. However this one really clicked with me. I love the diversity of characters and skill sets. Each character has a very unique style and look, not to mention all of the alternate skins. I recently reached level 35 and started some competitive play. I wish I had started this game Day 1 since I feel I am at such a disadvantage vs other players. Even playing Quick Play games, you can tell the skill difference between people at my level and players with 2+ bronze stars by their name.

If anyone is on the fence with Overwatch, I definitely recommend getting it. I feel there is a play style for almost any type of gamer. Blizzard's art style in the game is top notch, love the quality of their games! 10/10

overwatch-heroes-background-blizzard-1080x623-700x404.png

Krooner

Got through:

Assassins Creed Chronicles: China - Sloppy controls which led to some frustration, but I made it through. Got the trilogy collection for cheap on eBay so will play through the other two in the series.

The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - Not sure how to feel about it. Usual TT stuff gameplay-wise, but the story on the whole felt a bit confused. I like Javi and the new characters, but the moral choices they presented me with felt a little trite. I'm still a fan, but it's definitely the weakest of the three so far.

Azriell

Solitairica
Platform: Android
Time: 05:00
Date: 06.21
Score: (5/5)

Solitairica does for Solitaire what Puzzle Quest did for Bejeweled, and the system works surprisingly well. Initially I thought each encounter would play out more like a puzzle, where you have to find the correct path through the cards, but the cards are truly random, and once you unlock a few spells there is a surprising amount of depth to the game. Different monsters have different attacks and are easier or harder to defeat depending upon the spells and items you choose to take before entering combat. Even the randomness of Solitaire (such as whether to choose card A or card B when both are viable) are solved by various spells.

Solitairica was a great surprise. I'm sure this will stay on my phone for quite some time.

Dyna

My main post.

X2URKF5.png

18 | Panzer Dragoon Orta | Xbox
7 hours | Completed June 19th

This was my first time playing a Panzer Dragoon game and I liked it a whole lot, such a great rail shooter! The graphics were sublime for an original Xbox title, the game ran flawlessly, the soundtrack was great and the story, while quite arcane, was very interesting. Having played Rez earlier this year, I figured out the gameplay mechanics fairly quickly but the game still provided a real challenge even on the normal difficulty - especially the last boss fight! I liked the world of Panzer Dragoon Orta a whole lot, the boss designs and the scenery were really cool and unique. A good ass video game no doubt. I also did most of the sub scenarios and finished the Iva side missions but those were quite mediocre to be honest. I would have enjoyed the Iva subplot way more if the actual missions hadn't been so horrendously bad, some of the worst controls I have ever experienced were in those levels and I'm not even kidding. Despite that the main game is excellent and I would definitely recommend it!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
250px-Shining_Soul_II_boxart.jpg

Finally break the 100 hour mark this year by beating Shining Soul II! I already enjoyed the original Soul but its shocking how much of an improvement the sequel was!

Games Beaten: 07 / 52
Total Playtime: 109:39:56
01 - ??

dxhc99

Original Post

Game #7: Persona 5 - ★★★★★
RwEBVyn.jpg

While by no means a perfect game, Persona 5 has left its memory on me in a big way. I didn't realize how much I liked these characters until I was done with them. The story gpes in some crazy places by the end and I couldn't put it down until it was over. 150 hours for a first playthrough and I can't wait to go back.

So, uh, this update took longer than expected, and for some reason I don't think I'm going to quite hit 52 :p

Main Post

8. Pokemon Go Generation 2 - ??? hours - 7/10
waE42WM.png

More of the same, they're working on big changes though which is good.
This Pokedex was completed much quicker than the first gen. There aren't really many ultra rare Pokemon like Snorlax and Lapras were, just Unown, which unsurprisingly was the last one I needed. A friend messaged me that one had spawned while I was at home cooking dinner.

9. Persona 5 - 200 hours - 10/10
Kkf6UYV.png

So uh, I got halfway through this game when the HDD on my PS4 died and I didn't have a backup. So I restarted, and then when I finished I did another playthrough for the platinum trophy.
So this game ate an entire 2 months of my gaming life.
It was worth it though, P5 takes the previous foundation and polishes it to the max. The gameplay is fast and fluid, the interface is sleek and stylish, all the systems are refined to perfection and play off each other perfectly, the music is ace, and the story and characters were charming.
Worth the wait.

Stoze

I keep dragging my feet when it comes to posting impressions in here because I fell so far behind, so I'm just gonna blast through up to where I am and forget about my previous formatting. Limiting myself to 2 sentences for each, so expect some hot, blunt takes:

25: Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (PC) / 4.11.17 / 6 hours / 100%, all challenges
It's the third time I've played it and it's still great, but having just played the other two campaigns to compare it to, I think it's my final time. The charm is there in spades, but Shovel Knight is almost painfully slow and simple compared to Plague and Specter, and has lesser level design than the latter.

26: Sonic the Hedgehog (PC) / 4.12.17 / 3 hours / All chaos emeralds
Green Hill Zone was fairly neat and refreshing, but almost every level after that felt like poor executions on different types of 2D platformer level and boss design. The game just wasn't very satisfying or fun whether I tried to go fast, go slower and explore the level, or a more natural combination of both, and ultimately the stop and go pacing got tiring.

27: Rayman 2: The Great Escape (PC) / 4.18.17 / 10.5 hours / 100%
Visually this game has aged exceptionally well, but Rayman's movement and some of the design hasn't, especially in comparison to other 3D platformers of the late 90s. Levels can be a bit too restrictive and linear for my tastes at times, but overall it's alright.

28: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (PC) / 4.18.17 / 3 hours
Had stronger levels than the first and the spin-dash really helps with the stop and go pace, but I still disliked the moment-to-moment gameplay, the way Sonic controls, and the awful bosses. I'm glad I finally played these for a historical perspective, but I think I can officially confirm to myself that Sonic is just not for me, 3D or 2D.

29: Yooka-Laylee (PC) / 4.21.17 / 20 hours / All collectibles and achievements
It's been so long since I could just jump into a world and have fun running and jumping, and I think the devs did a great job with the core movement set. Unfortunately, Yooka-Laylee has a lot of downright amateurish design that is all too easy to pick apart, along with a general sense of a lack of polish.

30: Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den Remastered (PC) / 4.23.17 / 6 hours / Hard, all achievements
Maybe it's because stories centered around AI have been tackled in games almost a dozen times since its release, but I found Minerva's Den to be fairly unremarkable to my surprise. Combat is just as dynamic as it was in Bio 2, but cramming what felt like a full game's worth of powers and weapons into a 5-6 hour campaign felt awkward, and made level design and encounters more predictable and repetitive.

31: GRID (PC) / 4.27.17 / 22 hours / 1st place in all events, Serious/Savage
I really like GRID because it gets straight to the point; no spending time with story bullshit or customizing and picking cars, just in and out of races with satisfying physics and handling that leans a tad more towards arcade than simulation. Some of the events run on too long though, and the content feels spread a little too thin for how long the game is.

32: Prey (PC) / 5.11.17 / 35 hours / All NPCs found, all sidequests, Hard/Nightmare
Perhaps the best modern immersive sim I've played and an easy GoTY contender, Prey has one of the most compelling and intricately conceived 3D game worlds I've ever been sucked into thanks to the ridiculous detail and continuity woven throughout NPCs, main story and exposition, and environmental and level design. Prey's only major weaknesses are all too common with the sub-genre; if you're playing smart you get stocked up on items way too quickly and comfortably, and it doesn't quite stick the landing with the last few hours.

33: Half-Life (PC) / 5.18.17 / 9 hours / Hard
It certainly feels dated in a lot of ways, but with near perfect pacing and supreme variety in level design, it's easy to see why it's a classic. I even played a bit of multiplayer which was still pretty fun, and Xen wasn't as bad as I was led to believe.

34: Bioshock Infinite (PC) / 5.21.17 / 13 hours / Hard
It's probably because I'm playing on PC now, but both the gameplay and visuals are way better than I remember having played it on 360 years ago, as the game looks gorgeous most of the time and combat arenas were mostly fun to blast through thanks to solid gunplay. Infinite still feels like kind of a mess with a lot of its core design decisions and writing though.

35: Darksiders Warmastered Edition (PC) / 5.31.17 / 17 hours / Apocalyptic
Combat and movement are its best traits along with a few moments of good dungeon design, but everything else is exceedingly mediocre in almost every aspect. Darksiders felt like a third-rate Zelda/God of War hybrid with writing and characters aimed at middle school kids.

36: Journey (PS4) / 6.4.17 / 2.5 hours
A relaxing and gorgeous short trek, but nothing that really blew me away or invigorated me outside of the seamless coop. I might be one of those weirdos who likes ABZU better on account of I played that first.

37: Resident Evil 5 (PS4) / 6.5.17 / 11 hours / Co-op
A complete blast in co-op, RE5 is a fun romp with exceptional pacing, varied level design, and satisfying resource management. It has entered my short list of must play two player co-op games.

Main Post

chrismohan

Neo Member
11. Never Alone
A light adventure game with some simple puzzles. It's a simple game and I think in the end that hampered some of my engagement with the characters, which was obviously the intent of the game in general. I loved (LOVED) the interspersing of history and education of the indigenous people and story telling. It gave the story much more impact.

12. Virginia
It's not often I can say, comment or even notice the editing in video games but it is noticeable how the game flows from one situation to the next easily and without much jarring to the flow of the narrative experience. I'm not sure if i really understood the resolution of the game, its a game that leaves you wondering if you're actually stupid :) but in general I could definitely play more games of this style although voice acting would have definitely improved some of the interpersonal relations.

13. Shantae and the Half Genie Hero
What's not to like about the Shantae games? They are fum, humourous, well designed and the perfect length and challenge. I'd definitely find the time to play another one

Tizoc

header.jpg

This was a lovely little puzzle game.
There are 50 stages and you must guide a cube-like little fellow over blue tiles to turn them red. You must turn all blue tiles into red in order to complete the stage. Later stages introduce more challenges and tiles that you need to get through in order to beat the stage. For around $1 it was a fun romp and I recommend it to puzzle fans.

Haven't strayed from my master post up till now, but fans of well-executed narrative in games really really need to check out Utawarerumono - best game I've played this year so far.

Spyware

Haven't strayed from my master post up till now, but fans of well-executed narrative in games really really need to check out Utawarerumono - best game I've played this year so far.
Are you saying you only update your master post and never make any new posts? If you do that, most people won't see your progress. The idea is to use the master post as the list of all finished games but also update with new posts, to keep the thread going and to show off your progress. :)

Edit: It's no rule tho! You are free to just update the MP if that is what you wish to do, but I want to be clear that I think your updates will go unnoticed by most of us. If that is fine, then just carry on :)

Tizoc

So this game is part of the Disney Afternoon Collection on consoles and PC.
It's a 2D shoot'em-up.
Pressing B fires the weapon, whereas pressing A will have Baloo face behind him.

The game actually has a good concept it just isn't that good a game IMO. If it had a rapid fire option it would at least have been more bearable.
As is it's an underwhelming shmup that could've been stellar if it weren't so frustrating and had some stupid difficult sections.

Big update because the SH games are fast runs and I binge played them over the week/I have no self control.

---

OP.

---

ta4L3hD.png

Game 11 - Dead Rising 3 (PC) - 3/5 - 16 hours, 54 minutes

Finally finished this one after starting it last month. I've been waiting to play this one for ages since I don't own a XB1 or usable gaming PC so thankfully it was somewhat worth the wait. The original Dead Rising is one of my favorite games of all time so I had misgivings but short of a few elements this wasn't the trainwreck I expected it to be.

My biggest concern was the move to a more open world. I'm not one for open worlds and the design that usually comes with it so moving from tightly designed and smaller maps (Willamette Mall in DR1 and to a lesser extent, Fortune City in DR2/OTR) was really concerning. While I still would've preferred a more tightly designed small map, it wasn't too bad after I spent some more time with the game. Navigating was a pain with vehicles at times with the constant roadblocks (which again makes sense with the context/setting) but it just became a nuisance with how big the map is at times.

The aesthetic (another big concern originally) is still really weird/out of place in terms of how dark everything looks but I was relieved to see that outside of this, it still very much felt like a Dead Rising game. Nick is a great protagonist and might be my favorite in the series, if not a tie with Frank from the original. I was really getting a kick out of the way he would appear frightened in cutscenes or even talk during gameplay as if he wasn't a walking death machine from pretty much the start.

I can see why people made such a fuss about the timer (it might as well have been nonexistent since you could do literally everything that pops up mission wise with no issue) but I enjoyed the rest enough to where I wasn't overly bothered. Not sure if Dead Rising 4 will fare as well in this regard.

I do want to complain about the overtime mode for a second though. It was absolute trash. Not so much like any of the plot or character stuff, but the gameplay itself. The encounter with the drones that pop up all throughout the map is an absolute pain, especially when you factor in the navigation complications I mentioned above. It goes on way too long and felt like an attempt at padding out the length of the game further. I had a similar issue with the end game stuff in Off the Record and it makes me not want to return to either of them.

In the end though I was still somewhat pleased with this and would probably give it a 6. It's always nice to be pleasantly surprised with a game that you didn't have high hopes for and I hope DR4 finds a way to result in a similar result somehow.

KQabJyN.png

Game 12 - Silent Hill (PS1) - 4.5/5 - 2 hours, 36 minutes *

Starting up my yearly/bi-yearly Silent Hill series replay. Really rough playtime but it's been awhile since I've done a run through 1. Got the Good+ ending.

Still a great game, one of the best in the genre. Upon this replay, I realized that the soundtrack is a lot better than I had thought in the past. Playing with headphones might have made a big difference but so many tracks stood out.

The sewers and enemies found in them are probably my least favorite location and enemy in SH1-4 but in the grand scheme of things they end up as a minor annoyance more than anything.

Not a lot to say about this one, sorry. It's just great. Play it if you haven't, please.

TtMfNZg.png

Game 13 - Silent Hill 2 (PS2) - 5/5 - 1 hour, 56 minutes *

Another mildly rusty time. As these are all first time playthroughs (emulating on PC) with no unlocks or bullet adjust, I feel like my times will improve in the future. Got the Leave ending.

God, I just love this game so much. It's probably a joint favorite for favorite of all time with Hotel Dusk: Room 215. Everything about it is so special. The soundtrack, the art direction, the creature designs, the environments, the characters, just everything.

I was really feeling it this time and the game packed a severe punch. Not to say that the game has a pleasant subject matter but I definitely didn't anticipate being a bit of a mess through the latter half of the game.

I think 2 is the most consistent game in the series in terms of locations. I absolutely love the apartments, prison, and hotel. All of these being the among the best in the series. The hospital sometimes drags a bit for me but not to the extent of the sewer in 1, the underpass in 3, or most of the second trips in 4.

Again, not a lot to say about this one. Just know that I love it endlessly. Please, play this if you haven't already. :)

PCpo2yv.png

Game 14 - Silent Hill 3 (PS2) - 4/5 - 1 hour, 21 minutes *

Actually pretty okay with this play time for a first go on PC. Got the regular ending since the other main one is much suited to a second playthrough.

I've always thought of 3 as my least favorite of 1-3 but I'm really reconsidering right now. 3 is such a powerhouse aesthetically/graphically. I've seen it mentioned a lot on GAF but the cutscenes/characters really give even some modern games a run for their money in terms of animation and such. The otherworld sections are also at the most interesting looking in the series here.

It might sound like I dislike a big chunk of the game saying this but even though the subway and to a further extent the underpass drag badly I really enjoy the other locations. Particularly the amusement park and church. I think it helps a lot that both of these are shorter than most of the other bits by a fair margin.

Heather is such a great lead and I love her interactions with everyone in addition to her comments when examining various things. There's just a lot of personality to be found.

Short comments again because I've played these games to death and don't have much else to say. Please play the SH series.

cmbmE4N.png

Game 15 - Silent Hill 4: The Room (PS2) - 3.5/5 - 5 hours, 10 minutes *

This is only my second playthrough of this game believe it or not so I might have a tiny bit more to ramble about. It's also the only game in the series so far that I haven't played in a single sitting. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do it with 4 to be honest. Got the Escape ending.

A lot of what is coming next will read like I dislike the game but please keep in mind I love it nearly as much as 1-3 and just have some strong annoyances with the game that pop up each time but never ruin the game. I also really love to complain so that might also be why a lot of my thoughts read more negative than they actually are, sorry.

I've always had a weird relationship with this game. I've always liked it but different elements of it have kept me from finishing it for the first time (which finally happened like 2 or 3 years back after owning since launch) for ages. These things being stuff like the limited inventory coming from unlimited in 1-3, the returning to most of the worlds a second time, and just the general increase of difficulty/focus on melee combat coming from 1-3. All of these things are still here but to varying degrees.

To start with, the limited inventory is not as bad as I had remembered. If you're looking to hoard supplies or grab everything I can see things getting incredibly annoying as you would need to find a hole to return to your apartment/storage and they aren't always located nearby but that wasn't a huge issue for me this go. Thankfully I stopped even picking up any ammo once I realized that the rusty axe could carry me through the whole game with just a few issues (more on this later). I feel like this can only become less of an issue upon further replays especially with an idea of what items are necessary and how much healing you might need or whatever.

Moving onto the returning to various worlds. This again isn't as bad as I recalled but it's very much hinges on your enjoyment on particular sections. I was a fan of the forest and building, okay with the subway, but disliked the water tower short of aesthetics so that carried over a second time. If you really know what you're doing I can imagine these second trips would go a lot faster short of maybe the water tower and building which have a bit more of a complicated solution to them. In a perfect world we would've had maybe 1 or 2 completely new worlds in place of these but it wasn't meant to be and the end result isn't completely horrible.

Lastly there's the combat. I'm gonna be honest and say that most of my issues here stem to having Eileen following me. The first (of only 2) boss fights is an absolute pain as you try to figure out the right thing to attack as Eileen follows along getting whacked constantly. It's not a huge deal as she doesn't have a health bar or anything but with the effects on the ending result you get I can imagine it can be a bigger annoyance on hard difficulties. I'm also not a fan of the one ghost who you have to down to get an item from, these ghosts don't stay down very long and when they do it's pretty hard to get into position to pin them down. This was thankfully only one encounter but it was a noticeable blemish on this playthrough. I also wanted to moan about the enemies you first encounter in the hospital, not only are the sound effects annoying/laughable, but also the bit where you encounter them on stairs is absolutely ridiculous and a complete pain. Good luck trying to stomp them to prevent them from getting up when they fall down the steps then get up almost instantaneously when they stop.

I know the above sounds like a lot and it kinda is but I love everything else about this game a lot. I feel like if this game didn't have the annoyances above it would be on par with 2 for me, that's how sold I am about some of the other things. The apartment interactions and general concept is amazing and I would've loved to have seen similar stuff fleshed out a bit in another title as far as the hauntings go. I'm also a huge fan of the general mood/atmosphere of this one. There's a lot going on aesthetically in the various areas and it's a treat overall. The OST is also second only to 2's in the series.

For the last time, please play the SH series (1-4, maybe Shattered Memories and Downpour also).

Theswweet

Here's a quick update for me...

# 19 Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki - Completed 6/4/17
# 20 ARMS - Completed 6/18/17

It took me quite a while to get through Zero no Kiseki, and besides that I haven't really beaten anything since then besides ARMS. I probably won't have time to really dive into any other games until after Anime Expo, either... unless I want to knock out a few shorter games quickly in the next week.

Zero no Kiseki - I'm really glad I played this, and I can't wait to get to Ao no Kiseki. I loved this game quite a bit, and it really is a crime this hasn't been officially translated yet. It, and I assume Ao no Kiseki, really deserve to be enjoyed by more people.

ARMS - It took me a while to warm up to it, but I think I might be addicted to this game now. It's simple enough to pick up and play, but also has enough depth that I feel like no two matches are truly the same. Really happy I picked it up!

Tizoc

So these are 2 Beat'em-ups Capcom made based on the DnD franchise.

The first game, Tower of Doom has great visuals, but I found the gameplay pretty lacking and stiff. You get to choose from 4 characters: a dwarf, an elf, a human warrior and a human cleric.

The 2nd game, Mystara, re-uses assets from the first game but is overall much better. Characters can do a few extra special moves and the overall combat is better, for one thing you can now attack downed opponents. The game adds 2 new classes: A rogue (Moriah) and Magic User/Mage, both have their own skills such as the Magic User being able to cast magical spells instead of using attack items for example.

I had played these games alone but they are much better played co-op with extra players.

Overall they are visually great showing off Capcom's wonderful 2D artstyle and animation, the gameplay didn't catch me like their other beat'em-ups but I would still recommend playing it, but as I said, pref. multiplayer.

Arthea

43th game:

header.jpg

sweet and short RPG, no filler, fair share of secrets, wide choice of characters, interesting combat system with a lot of depth and customizable for any playstyle.

main post

Original post

0f6w9T8l.png

19. Wipeout Omega Collection (PS4, 2017) - 26:03
All campaigns completed.Rank 28 in 2048, all golds at skilled or higher (minus three events) in HD, all golds at skilled or higher in Fury.

Wipeout has felt like a series on the brink for a long time. The lone original PS2 entry in the franchise, Wipeout Fusion, was apparently so toxic that Sony didn't even bother to publish it themselves in North America, instead leaving that to a third-party publisher. (FWIW, it's clearly the worst Wipeout but I didn't think it was that bad.) Wipeout's revival on PSP was glorious, but then the PSP's fortunes tanked. Wipeout HD was plagued with delays--I should know, I bought a PS3 for the game--but when it finally did come out it was spectacular. But it was a digital-only budget release made up of remade Pure and Pulse tracks, and while the HD versions are monumental multi-generational upgrades, there was always a small whisper of doubt wondering why the marquee franchise's debut on the PS3 didn't come with original tracks. Finally, there was Wipeout 2048 for Vita, again a great game chained to a moribund platform. That game probably didn't sink Studio Liverpool, but the franchise's niche status combined with Sony's cup overflowing with British racing studios might have.

Wipeout Omega Collection arrives, then, with a cloud over its head. The developer that birthed the series is long dead, and Omega is just a remastered port of HD, Fury and 2048. The Vita tracks get the most love here, with 4K and 60fps doing that game's content a world of good. But the HD and Fury tracks, as good as they look on the PS4, have now been released in three separate variants. It's hard to shake the notion that once the Omega Collection passes out of view, that could very well be it for the venerable franchise, with no one left to build a new Wipeout and not enough demand to find someone willing to do the job for Sony.

But all is not lost. For one, it turns out Wipeout is still pretty damned good. Omega Collection hasn't lost a step in its transition to the PS4; indeed, there was very little doubt, given the original HD/Fury's rock solid performance on PS3. Old tracks don't take away from their quality, and just because we've played these Wipeout games before doesn't mean they aren't welcome for a second go-around. This time, I managed to actually complete the HD and Fury campaigns, something I never spent enough time trying to do on the PS3. Having everything in a single package is convenient, too; there's a lot of value to be had here if you missed the previous games in the series, and many reasons to become a new fan of Wipeout on display.

If this is how Wipeout dies, then at least the old girl got one last turn on the dancefloor, and it's a hell of a turn. But, for two, if the rumours are true and Sony's actually using Omega Collection as a trial balloon for reviving the series proper--something that makes more and more sense with every new spiritual cousin like Formula Fusion, Fast RMX or Redout--then we might have something else to be thankful for. My fingers are crossed.

Original post

ctN4Iaql.png

20. Hexcells (PC, 2014) - 1:51
100% completion.

A permanent fixture in GAF Steam hidden gem threads for years, I've somehow never managed to buy Hexcells until this year's summer sale, despite its low, low regular price and regular discounts. Perhaps someone should have recited to me the magic words, "it's kind of like Minesweeper." Because if there's one timewaster I can get behind, it's Minesweeper.

What I got was a game that plays like a cross between Minesweeper and Picross, especially when some of the later mechanics come into play. The basic concept is the same as Minesweeper--clicking on an empty cell shows you how many "mines" are adjacent, and it's your job to mark all the mines--but it throws in more elaborate elements like sometimes telling you when marked cells should be adjacent (or alternatively, split up), or requiring a certain number of marked cells per column (hello Picross). The flipside is that Hexcells is more lenient as well; it's not an immediate game over if you make a mistake.

Special mention should go to the game's soundtrack, a soothing collection of warm ambient synths punctuated by accompanying tones when you click on the board. Hexcells isn't a rhythm game by any stretch of the imagination, but the soundtrack you create simply by playing is a nice little touch.

Hexcells is short; I played through the whole thing in one sitting, though I had to go back to perfect the last level I made some mistakes on earlier. But given its obscenely low price, I absolutely feel like I got my money's worth and then some. There's an iOS version if mobile's more your bag (though no Android version; someone made an unofficial version called Sixcells with the developer's apparent blessing), and it seems like it would work well as a game on the go, assuming you had enough screen real estate for the harder puzzles.

Tizoc

Wih only 5 days to go i dont think i can reach 150 completed games by end of june, even tho thete are a dozen or so classic games i own that i could complete
We'll see tho....

septicore

OP

It has been a while since my last completed game but I'm still slowly playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and a game on my phone. Not sure, if I can tackle 52 games this year but I'll see.

Game 16: Hidden Folks (PC) 24/06/17 - 25/06/17 3.8 Hours
I'd describe this game as Where's Wally/Waldo on steroids. Pretty relaxing until my eyes start hurting from straining it so much to find the objects or people I need to complete a level. Really enjoyed the game and I loved the Sound FX's that was presented in the game, they were funny.

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
OP

ojmvWc8.png

Super Nintendo

Having played this in the arcades as a kid, I never had the opportunity to play it on how consoles. Call me daft, but I'm certain the arcade version was harder? Anyway, a great b'mup that was definitely a challenge in places. How did I get through this? Mike f-inf Haggar with a bloody great sword!
6/10

Tizoc

Original Post

chipndale.jpg

This was a short and decent platformer. It had some BS sections but were it have some refinement here and there it'd be a lot better, but the game overall was good.
I quite enjoyed it but felt ht soundtrack left much to be desired.
Strongly recommend this game to anyone looking for some easy platformers to play through co-op.

header.jpg

This is the 2nd game in the Samorost series. Our little hero's pet dog is abducted by aliens and he sets out to save him and get back home.
The gameplay is simple and the overall game continues its predecessor's bizarre setting and characters.

236904-disney-s-darkwing-duck-nes-front-cover.jpg

This one has some pretty tough stages but bosses are mostly easy aside from one or two bosses. I overall enjoyed it a lot and am rather surprised that Capcom never considered implementing some of this game's concepts into Megaman (such as crouching).

Bastion

Game 1-Criminal Girls 2 Party Favors-Vita-Beaten on January 2nd
-I really enjoyed the grind in this game. I usually hate grinding but this game makes it very easy to do so. Fun little game that took about 25 hours. 8/10

Game 2-Shantae Half Genie Hero-Vita-Beaten on January 6th
-This was the perfect game after the long grind of my previous game. Very light-hearted and fun! Perfect on the Vita! 8/10

Game 3-Alone With You-Vita-Beaten on January 14th
-While this adventure game wasn't great, it was very relaxing to play which is what made me enjoy it overall. 7/10

Game 4-Call of Duty Infinite Warfare-PS4-Beaten on January 15th
-I might be in the minority that only play the story mode in Call of Duty games and have to say that I never tire of them. They are like a summer blockbuster. I really liked the on ground parts of his game but didn't really like the flying portions. Still waiting for a return to WWII. 8/10

Game 5-Severed- Vita-Beaten on January 17th
-I really enjoyed this game outside of a few difficulty spikes here or there. Great atmosphere and great touch controls which I usually hate. 9/10

Game 6-Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7-Vita-Beaten on January 19th
-This was the weakest game I have played in a long time. This game was before Lego characters talked so all it is is a disjointed story with very weird grunts/sounds from the characters. I really like the Harry Potter universe but this game is just bad. At least I got it super cheap from a PSN sale. 4/10

Game 7-Neverending Nightmares-Vita-Beaten on January 21
-I really enjoyed this little (2 hours long)horror game. It had great atmosphere and sound especially with headphones on. The title explains the game perfectly as you keep repeating the same nightmare over and over again with slight differences everytime you die. The story is slight but interesting as well. 7/10

Game 8-Trails of Cold Steel 2-Vita-Beaten on February 17
-Over the last 13 months, I have beaten all four of the recent Trails games and have loved every single one of them. This one took me 50 hours which is why this is he first game I have beaten in almost a month. If you like RPG's this is one of the best. 10/10

Game 9-World of Final Fantasy-Vita-Beaten on February 25
-Where January was meant for shorter games for myself, February has been dedicated to longer RPG's. I really enjoyed this game for the most part. It was great to see all the supporting stars from previous Final Fantasy games. The story was not great but kept me interested for the most part. I finished the game with the original bad ending and then saw all that I had to do to get the good ending and just decided to call it. I watched the good ending on YouTube. I had just had enough of all the random battles at that point. 8/10

Game 10-Odin Sphere Leiftrauser-Vita-Beaten on April 1
-Wow. Where did March go? I played a lot of games in March just didn't finish any. I finally beat this game on April Fools Day and as a game, it is no joke. What a great game! I really enjoyed the gameplay and while the environments repeated themselves over and over, the gameplay made up for it. 9/10

Game 11-The Walking Dead Episode 3 Above the Law-PS4-Beaten on April 2
-I am a sucker for all these Telltale games. Can't get enough of them. If you liked the previous games, you will like this. I like how Clem is really developing as a character as she is gets older. 9/10

Game 12-Mr. Shifty-Nintends Switch-Beaten on April 22
-I really liked this game as it's like the Hotline Miami series, which I love. If it hadn't been for the slowdown in the Switch version, I think I would have liked it better than the Hotline Miami games. 8/10

Game 13-Guardians of the Galaxy The Telltale Series Episode 1-PS4-Beaten on April 29
-I feel like this was the weakest of any Telltale series game. It was boring as I had to start the game over three different times because I fell asleep. I do really like the opening song "Why Can't I Touch It" by the Buzzcocks. Hopefully the series will pick up with future episodes. 6/10

Game 14-What Remains of Edith Finch-PS4-Beaten on April 29
-Favorite game of the year so far. Great atmosphere and strange(in a good way) story. Loved the Holloween music in one of the stories! 10/10

Game 15-Full Throttle Remastered-Vita-Beaten on May 1
-I have to admit that I didn't really like this game. If it wasn't for an online guide, I would have never beaten the game. It also was very choppy(not the frame rate but the game)which I'm not sure if that was in the original game or not. 5/10
Last edited by Bastion; 05-01-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Game 16-Gal Gun Double Peace-Vita-Beaten on May 22
-Inreally don't have much of an opinion on this game. It is a on rails shooter where you shoot girls. Without a gun peripheral it just isn't much fun in my opinion. 5/10

Game 17-The Walking Dead: A New Frontier-Episode 4 Thicker than Water-PS4-Beaten on May 25
-Again, good episode. 9/10

Game 18-The Walking Dead: A New Frontier-Episode 5 From the Gallows-PS4-Beaten on May 31
-I really liked the entire series and thought this was a good concluding episode. Not as good as the first two but still good. I am looking forward to what happens next as the ending sets it up pretty well. 8/10

Game 19-Assassin's Creed Unity-PS4-Beaten on June 4
-I really enjoy the Assasin Creed games. I haven't played all of them so I haven't got burned out on them yet. I only play the story missions so it keeps me focused because the map is just filled with tons of things to do so it can be overwhelming. I didn't try the co-op missions in this game so I can't speak to those at all. 7/10

Game 20-The Little Acre-PS4-Beaten on June 5
-This is a very brief(about two hours) point and click adventure game. I had an average time with this average game. I got this for a couple of $$ on a PSN sale and played it as I knew it was really short. 6/10

Game 21-Quantum Break-Xbox One-Beaten on June 15
-I absolutely loved this game. Had I finished this game last year, it would have been one of my favorite games of 2016. I love the time powers and I really like the mixture of game and tv show. This game had great production value and is something you just don't see much. I think Defiance is the only other game that had a show go along with it. 10/10

Game 22-Destiny-PS4-Beaten on June 18
-I bought Destiny the day it came out back in 2014 and played it for awhile but then quit. Now with Destiny 2 right around the corner, I decided it was time to finish the game and all of the expansions. I have to say that I really enjoyed the gameplay. The story wasn't great but I was never bored. This summary is for the original Destiny only and will be adding the dlc add-ons as I play through them. 8/10

Game 23-Destiny The Dark Below DLC-PS4-Beaten on June 18
-This was the first expansion to Destin and added three story missions to Destiny. It took me about an hour to get through all three story missions. It was more of the same but still good. 8/10

Game 24-Destiny The House of Wolves DLC-PS4-Beaten on June 19
-This was the second expansion for Destiny and I liked this much more than The Dark Below as it had better atmosphere in my opinion. 9/10

Game 25-Destiny The Taken King DLC-PS4-Beaten on June 21
-This was a great addition to Destiny. Really enjoyed the story missions. Now for the Rise of Iron. 9/10

Game 26-Ghostbusters VR Now Hiring Episode 1-PSVR -Beaten on June 23
-This was a fun little experience for $4 from the recent PSN sale. It was only about 15 minutes but it was fun and very cool to be in the Ghostbusters universe. Recommended if you get it for $5 or under. 7/10

Game 27-Rogue One: X-wing VR Mission-PSVR-Beaten on June 23
-This was a great VR experience and if you love Star Wars, it will be a highlight of your gaming life. This was awesome! It makes you feel like you are there shooting down the tie-fighters. It did only take me only 16 minutes to beat it but it was a free download since I own Star Wars Battlefront. I also came away a little dizzy but not bad. 10/10
Last edited by Bastion; 06-23-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Game 28-Destiny Rise of Iron DLC-PS4-Beaten on June 25
-I am now ready for Destiny 2. Really enjoyed this expansion. More Destiny. 9/10

G ame 29-Guardians of the Galaxy The Telltale Series Eposode 2-PS4-Beaten on June 26
-Hmm..... I love what Telltale has done with the Walking Dead and Batman and pretty much everything else but I am not feeling this series. Maybe it's because I feel the franchise is just plain weird. I don't know. 5/10

Game 30-Fate: The Silent Oath-PSVR-Beaten on June 30
-I really enjoyed this adventure even though it did make me a bit dizzy. The game was short and rough around the edges but still a great experience. I hope to see a AAA game do this type of game! 7/10

Game 31-Spider Man Homecoming VR-PSVR-Beaten on June 30
-I really wasn't very impressed by this experience. It was ok but the graphics were really rough. It was cool shooting from my webslinger(via two PS moves). It only lasted maybe 15 minutes but it was free!

Game 32-Outlast Whistleblower DLC-PS4-Beaten on July 8
-I love survival horror games so game is right up my alley. I really liked the main game and this dlc was just as good if not better. Very atmospheric and dark. Looking forward to playing Outlast 2 soon. 10/10

Game 33-Titanfall 2-Xbox One-Beaten on July 10
-I loved this game. The mixture of shooting and platform was perfect. The only thing that I didn't like was the assembly line level as I just didn't know where to go. 9/10

28. Disney Infinity - Pirates of the Caribbean Playset (5 hours)
Including the Disney Infinity games on this list is tricky, because each game consists of several campaigns set in their own distinct worlds, with distinct approaches to the basic Disney Infinity gameplay. I'm gonna count each playset as a game seeing as though someone did so in a previous thread, and I've started with the Pirates playset from the first game. The gameplay and controls are passable, and it's quite buggy, but exploring the sea and the various locales make for an engaging experience.

Full list to date.

Falchion

Original Post

25) Overwatch - 75 hours - 6/25
The reason my progress in other games has slowed to a crawl is pretty much due to Overwatch. I bought it during the anniversary event and I've been completely hooked on it. I'm almost level 60 and have a good deal of experience across quickplay, competitive, and arcade. I love how it's a completely different game based on which hero you pick and my favorites are Tracer, Sombra, Mercy, D.va, and Ana. I'll continue to play this for quite a while but I figured I'd go ahead and mark it as complete since I've done so much in it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Master Post

Mad Max (PS4)
NGBP5lc.jpg

The tone and setting of the subject matter are captured perfectly, while combat both in vehicles and on foot is meaty and satisfying.
The wasteland has a lot of variety and character despite being one massive desert, and toxic storms are some of the most exciting and well-realised random weather I've ever seen in a video game.
Shortcomings include a lackluster story and a poorly paced second half, but these are forgivable for what is simply one of the best "film to game" adaptations out there.

Shadax84

Neo Member
26. Hexcells plus - 13 Hours

header.jpg

Platform: PC (Steam)
Completition Date: 25.6.2017
Rating: 7 / 10

Although not as good as the original Hexcells i find this quite good and entertaining.
This game is very relaxing, but quite challenging in the later levels. Sometimes they feel too hard and you have to try. The ambient soundtrack is very nice.
100% Completition Rate.

Blindy

d9af01b5847433062ed2ff28bd5b22e2.gif

30) InFamous: First Light(PS4, 6/10-6/11, 6/13)

I first played InFamous: Second Son right around June 2016 so a year removed from the main frontline game, I dipped into it's following DLC which stars one of the side characters from the main game, Abigail Fetch Walker and I happen to find her even going back to Second Son as the better character of the two "protagonists". Just a better backstory altogether and while she is stuck with one power, her power was always the best of the 4 major powers you acquire through the game(The neon ability).

I think what was well done by this game is it is much more condensed and it doesn't feel like you are truly going out of your way for side things in this game. I didn't finish up the arena battles nor saving hostages granted but I did everything else from graffiti to collecting these neon bugs in these very fun races or these glowing powerups in high elevations. The side content I felt was simply better as opposed to Second Son, I felt like it really stressed the use of your powers whether it be in speed or jumping to acquire powerups. The main story is rather short so you would do yourself well to divulge into the side content because if I recall, there were maybe 10 or so main mission quests throughout the game.

However, less is more is not necessarily a bad thing per say because I think had this game gone any longer, it would have easily have dragged it's feet and honestly....wore out it's welcome. You don't really get to pick a side as you are simply forced into one main arc of Fetch, which can be good or bad given this series is about either being good....or bad. There is no final boss battle in this game at the end which is a shame so you don't really feel satisfied in giving the major antagonist of the game what was coming but outside of that, I think this game does well as a standalone DLC.

Recommended: Yay or Nay?

I actually liked InFamous Second Son when I first sunk my teeth into the game last year so you are now given a game with far less content but doesn't necessarily drag itself and are given a cool protagonist with the best skillset in the original game and are given fun side missions too? Count me in. If you liked at all Second Son, this is a no brainer. Even if you didn't, if you can get it on the cheap, still would say go for it.

tumblr_mqpvnj4X1Q1qe2wlto4_250.gif

31) Shadows of the Damned(XB1 6/14-6/21)

Going to be upfront about this, I expected a bit more out of this game with Shinji Mikami and Suda 51 together in this game and with GAF's high praise of this game, I felt a little underwhelmed when it was all said and done. That's not to say this is a bad game per say but more so that when the game was finished, I thought there were simply too many frustrating moments and so many correctable mistakes that were placed on this game that ruined this from being a great experience.

What the game does good is the different amount of variety of gameplay it gives you. It gives you the standard third person RE4 experience even though it does feel tankish and sluggish when in combat against numerous enemies in a room where you're literately rolling blindly around to avoid getting hit. There are 3 weapons you get in your arsenal to use, a pistol, shotgun and semi machine gun and you will be using all 3 because ammo(At least at the Legion Hunter/Hard mode I played on) is SCARCE which is a problem I will get to later on which allows for different variety of ways to go about killing off a hoard of demons. There are numerous puzzles this game throws at you, usually it pertains to needing to shine the light in the darkness, as darkness=bad in this game. Darkness will eat at your life and you really have to go out of your way to find the light because after an initial bar that doesn't eat away at your HP, your HP will dwindle and dwindle fast if you aren't drinking any alcohol/liquor(Yes that's how you get HP in this game) so there's a certain thrill that this gives you that you have to survive and solve the rather easy puzzles.

But this third person experience isn't all this game offers.....this game has you do side scrolling in a Gradius style of gameplay for a few segments which I thought was rather fun though easy to die in due to getting caught in a bad predicament that will essentially one shot you. This game has you protect the fort essentially in a fight against giant titan like demons that can one shot you if they get close enough and grab you. This game has an (Albeit annoying, IMO) chase scenes from someone who can one shot you if they touch you as you're running around senselessly trying to kill enemies or escape harm's way to progress. In essence there's tons to enjoy with this game and the best choice that could have been done is to not be one dimensional and stick too much with the third person perspective for all of the game.

The story in typical SUDA 51 fashion is balls off the wall crazy though there's something inside of the story though I wish the ending would have been better as I thought more so this game was a psychological action game and the ending without getting too much into spoilers was a letdown after hours upon hours of the game really diving into the temptation of your lover only to see it not essentially matter in the grand scheme of things. I'll be frank, there is humor and scenes in this game that not everyone will like. A lot of potty humor, a lot of sexual innuendos, that type of spill.....what you expect out of Suda 51 so if you don't like that, this may be a tough sell to spend 10+ hours playing this when it's chock full of this.

Three negatives about this game that I would like to discuss are the cameras at times can get frustrating especially in fights with enemies where I am again blind rolling to avoid harm's way regardless of what I am rolling myself into. The game offers up a very stiff turnaround mechanic to allow you to catch people in your 180 degree line of sight but it doesn't feel right per say and I find myself turning my character after countless rolling attempts to get the right vision. Another is the ammo or lack there of. There were 1-2 situations that I had to restart AN ENTIRE CHAPTER OVER(The checkpoints are great but you either have to restart from a saved checkpoint AKA right before this scene or restart the entire act again....) because I was not only out of ammo but for some in explicit reason, there was no ammo refills when the game was usually decent enough on that(There are usually a box refill that respawns every 10 seconds). You are able to buy ammo from a merchant but the merchant appears per say maybe 5 or 6 times throughout the game and for me at least, it's never when I want/need him the most. You have to solely rely on either lucky drops from enemies or picking up spare ammo lying on the ground and I found myself being always low on ammo, especially on bullet sponge bosses which will be discussed momentarily and having to waste 2-3 minutes alone restocking my ammo by essentially running around the arena without fighting the boss and dodging it's attacks.

But by far the biggest negative and drawback I can say are that the boss fights were a massive letdown and part of the reason is the lack of health bar which is something a future SUDA 51 game did in Lollipop Chainsaw that I played last month. You honestly have not a clue when a boss is going to die or when to hit it and this was especially the case for the second to last boss of the game which is easily the worst boss that I played in any game for 2017 due to the amount of damage it takes. The boss is repetitious, it does crazy damage on hard mode and I died one time because it unsuspectingly despite the boss dying had body parts flying around that killed me because I put the controller down after literately 15-20 minutes of a boss fight that the gimmick is you need to have light up after enough damage to put a explosive round(Which is very inconsistent of when it pops up on an enemy) only to die from flying body parts and needing to start all over. Unnecessary in the game and that's the real memo with the boss fights, just unnecessary portions of these boss fights that drag on and on and on. When it was all said and done, the boss nearly took an hour and that's because it used patterns that dragged the fight on in all honesty. You know the game has glitches here and there, like firing a gun when I simply take it out and have it ready to fire despite me not touching the right bumper to initiate fire but I can look past it but boring, repetitive boss fights that drag on far longer than they should are a true nuisance that hurt my enjoyment of the game.

Recommended: Yay or Nay

Despite all of it's shortcomings, I put yay but a slight yay as the negatives did bring down my enjoyment of the game. At the end of the day, you have a pretty cool protagonist voiced by Stephen Blum who does a pretty good job pulling off a convincing Spanish accent and a Mexican protagonist without falling TOO much into stereotypes, a neat set of side characters and some interesting gameplay and I see why this game is talked rather well about via word of mouth but the drawn out boss battles, some of the tankish controls really working against you at times and ammo resources can really spoil the fun. There's replay-ability in getting the hidden red gems that power your character up so there's that too.

It's an alright game, nothing to go out of your way for......

7989612D8762F2813446CBD9CE0470D5F67B9C25

32) Sonic Adventure(PS3 6/24-6/25)

Wow, what to say about this game......I think had I come into this game expecting something more serious, I would have been left with sheer dissapointment because this game has massive shortcomings such as glitches that has led to instant fall deaths, an awful Big the Cat segment that I got the trick to doing(It's a fishing minigame) that was still relatively boring, easy bosses that can be topped in seconds, no exaggeration, a nonsensical story and some of the most lousy facial animations ever, even if the game is nearly 2 decades old.

But I didn't come into such expectations at all..........and thus, I found each and everything to be downright hilarious and it led to me just laughing my ass off throughout this entire game. There are some good with this game, and I will discuss each of the 6 character arcs and essentially rank them.

From good to bad:

E-102 Gamma(I actually found the whole "Man made machine to destroy grow compassion after seeing it's family get used and abused as toys when they lose their importance" actually.....well done which is amazing as far as Sonic storytelling goes. And the twist in this story was cool. Its mode was the best too, it was like a run and gun system that was rather easy as I beat bosses in literately 5 or so seconds outside of the final boss who took about 2 minutes. I had heard it had the best mode in the game and best story and that was certainly the case.)

Tails(The whole racing against Sonic didn't make much sense in the grand scheme of the story because what is the problem with losing to Sonic in a race?!?! You guys are together and are best friends! But heck if those races weren't fun, the ability to fly and soar past areas that Sonic had to be precise with the platforming on were great and it led to be running through this in seconds. Wish the airplane minigame was completely different as while fun, it stunk going through the exact level twice.)

Amy(She's been kinda labeled the kind stalker of Sonic's for some time and it was kind of ironic to have a robot stalker her throughout the arc. That Zero robot was almost Nemesis esque with it's obsession, even when she didn't have a emerald anymore! I wish her hammer was a bit better as it was a neat move to be able to hammer down and vault herself to farther distances, just sucked you needed to build up speed to do it.)

Sonic(The bread and butter of the series, his was hit or miss with the levels. He had the most content naturally as Sonic experienced almost all of the levels that the others end up doing. Sonic's speed led to tons of fun and tons of cheap deaths too. He too had super easy bosses........except for Egg Viper. That boss was mucho garbage....compounded with glitches. You hit Eggman in an opening, game will choose when or if you bounce back on the platform to resume or to not and fall to your death. That boss took longer than Gamma's whole story for me! Wow. Sonic's facial animations throughout the game were a-ma-zing. His eyebrows would obnoxiously extend like rubber while he's speaking, it reminded me of Super Mario 64 when you can stretch out Mario's face.)

Knuckles(Playing SA2, his and Rogue's find the crystal scavenger hunts were never favorites of mine. Now you add gimmicks as to when/how to move an object in order to get the crystal? Nah. Stinks Knuckles gets resorted to this because he was always a favorite of mine dating back to his debut in Sonic & Knuckles. So much more could have been done with him in these two games IMO.)

Big the Cat(Wow. I had heard how bad this was, but I didn't think it would be too bad. The problem with the fishing game is it takes a while to really get a hang of it and to get a feel as to how to navigate the bait to the right spot and it also relies on the fish/frog to nib on the bait too. You'd think his boss battle would include throwing boulders or what not but nope, just have to get lucky with the reel and if you get the frog correct, you win in seconds. Add how silly this thing sounds and you have hilarity casting over some rather poorest game design choices)

Recommended: Yay or Nay

Honestly comes down to the mode/vision you enter to this game. If you are expecting a serious game and a really good game(And I get why you enter that when you are paying for a game), I don't think you will have a good time with the problems this game has. However, if you expect a silly, nonsensical mess of a game that is unintentionally hilarious, than this might be for you.

Me? I am in the latter so it's a yay for me.

Tizoc

262214-disney-s-chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers-2-nes-front-cover.jpg

I did not enjoy this game as much as the first one I'm sad to say. Visually it's fine but the overall gameplay was pretty easy, even the bosses. It's a competent game but doesn't live up to its predecessor. The game's weakest point, IMO, is that its music was pretty bland and uninteresting.

I think I'm catching up my game updates slower than I'm catching up my backlog.

Main Post

header.jpg

Star Wars: Republic Commando - (PC) - Single-Player Campaign Completion ★★☆☆☆

I've seen a lot of people express love for this game online, but I found it pretty disappointing. I was re-watching the Clone Wars in February before it supposedly left Netflix, so I decided this game would be a good companion title. Pros: it has some cool music. Cons: pretty much everything else.

I felt like maybe I was feeling too harshly about this game so I checked the release date and it's contemporaneous with and released slightly after Half-Life 2. However, it doesn't seem to have nearly the level of production craftsmanship. Though the game itself was not too long, the level design was pretty unremarkable and bland and the levels felt like they dragged on far too long. Enemy variety was also extremely limited as well as weapon variety. There were some annoying enemy balance issues with Super Battle Droids being obnoxious bullet sponges and these flying drones midway through the game that can almost kill you instantly. Also, not really much in the way of interesting scripted events. The design felt extremely dated. I just found it sort of a boring slog.

AI companions would occasionally get hung up or stuck in the environment. It also suffered from one of my design pet peeves which is a countdown in the second part of the campaign where you're escaping a self-destructing ship. Instant death on failure. However, there's no on-screen display showing you how much time is left. So you better remember to keep a save from before it starts. You can accidentally make a save with not enough time and trap yourself and make it impossible to complete.

On a purely superficial level, it felt weird that all the clones had completely different voices. They're literally the same person. Dee Bradley Baker makes it work in the Clone Wars cartoon with slightly different inflections and vocal patterns. I'm not sure why they didn't go with him? I still got the other two clones mixed-up who weren't the gruff sniper guy. All in all I was just glad when it was over. (Sorry to people who love this game -- I'm not sure what you guys see in this...)

Sadly, the first two games of the year were a disappointment.

Stoze

38: Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC) / 6.20.17 / 18 hours / 2 playthroughs, all collectibles & achievements
You know you like a game when you play through it twice back to back, collect and everything, and wish you had bought the extra standalone on sale to play immediately afterward. Having not played it since its release year, Wolfenstein TNO is actually way better than I remember to the point where I dropped prior misconceptions and criticisms I had with it. Outside of a few instances, I didn't feel the need to hang too far back or resort to cover, even on the highest difficulty, and I rarely touched ADS. That's because Wolfenstein TNO's guns are strong and accurate, and they actually kind of nailed the "play how you want" aspect they were going for with the level design and skill tree, which isn't easy to pull off for a story driven FPS. Then again, neither is balancing tongue-and-cheek characters and absurd story events with serious subject matter and solid writing, and TNO somehow manages to pull that off as well. Maybe it's because I'm playing on M&KB instead of controller this time around, but also my god does the gunplay feel good. As noticeably bad as the sound mixing is it doesn't put a dent in the satisfaction of sniping Nazis in the head with a pistol, dual wielding machine guns, or going to town with a detached turret.

I'm genuinely struggling to think of major knocks against it, just a handful of minor stuff: I think the first 15-20 minutes were a bad place to start from, the screen shake when merely moving around is overdone, the base mobility and weapon switching feels a bit too sluggish, the aforementioned sound mixing, and they go overboard on the DoF effects. Oh, and I think they repeat the "starting the heist" trope too much; Mick's bass line kicks in, everyone huddles around and forms a plan, B.J. gets the dirty work, etc.". Felt a bit repetitive, like the writer/director was using them as a crutch. Overall though I kind of loved it, and I'm glad I played it again to both significantly bolster my opinion of it and to ready myself for the upcoming sequel.

39: Hidden Folks (PC) / 6.22.17 / 4 hours / Found all the folks
Essentially an interactive "Where's Waldo/Wally?" book at its core, with good quality of life stuff added and smart "level" design. You get clever hints for each target you have to find, all of which are just enough tease for you to get it without needing to comb over every pixel on the screen. It also does a lot with the simple format, as some levels might be tiny with just a few things to introduce you to the area theme and objects, some might be big and dense, and some might be massive but sparse like the really cool desert level. The newly added Factory levels have some extra interactivity and genuine light puzzle solving which is a neat touch as well. A very charming and enjoyable little game with a lot of love clearly put into it, it's easy to see why this is so highly rated on Steam.

40: Snake Pass (PC) / 6.25.17 / 9.5 hours / 100%, beat all time trials
To put it in a mouthful, Snake Pass is a 3D physics-based collectathon platformer where you play as a Snake, and it's rad. I'm just gonna quote myself from a post I made in the OT yesterday:
This game clicked with me so hard. I spent most of yesterday playing it and managed to 100% the game in about 8 hours. Controlling Noodle is immensely satisfying to master, and I really liked the playground feel every level has. I went back to get the coins I missed in the first world which felt impossible to get at the time but was a complete breeze after beating it.

The main criticism is the camera. If you're going to have a game that's as complex as this to control, and your inputs/direction are relative to the camera, then the camera needs to be in tip-top shape. No fighting fixed zoom levels or angles every time Noodle comes near a smaller, more enclosed space. I also think the checkpoint system is a poor decision. Ultimately it's an imbalance: the couple times in the beginning where I got the appropriate "oh shit if I fall here I'm going to lose a lot of progress" reaction didn't make up for the dozens of "welp I grabbed a couple wisps and see a tougher part coming up, better go back and hit the checkpoint". It's too much tedium, and in a slower game like this, it doesn't work well. Lastly, it would've been nice to see different aesthetic themes and more variety there. What if there was an industrial world where bamboo is replaced with pipes, the wind currents are relegated to steam vents, boiling concoctions replace fiery coals, etc..

That said, those criticisms didn't put a dent in me really enjoying the game overall because the level design and playing as Noodle is just too good. I also don't think they could've done much more here considering the game was only developed in a year. Which is why I hope this acts as a proof of concept and these guys want to do a big sequel because there's so much potential here. I just want more.

41: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PC) / 6.26.17 / 8.5 hours / I Am Death Incarnate, gold medal in all challenges
And now I realized why TNO was better than I remembered, it was because I was actually thinking of this. I found Old Blood significantly worse than TNO in every respect, but even giving it the grace of being an offshoot standalone DLC, I still don't think it's great. There's the pacing; the game makes the baffling decision to start with a slow, repetitive, stealth section. Then a mostly mediocre section chapter, a solid few middle chapters, and then a brisk rush to the finish in the last short couple chapters with lots of Nazi zombie enemies which are mundane to fight. Top off that with a terrible boss that lends itself better to being in a character action title than an FPS. The story isn't nearly as entertaining or fun to follow, and once you've read one note about Helga, King Otto, or Wulfburg, you've essentially read them all. The level design feels less organic and open; more linear hallways leading to extremely symmetrical combat arenas that feel tailored to the challenge mode, and a good chunk of those areas don't give you as much room to breathe for strafing and improvisation. So yeah, not impressed but it wasn't bad. The saving grace is the gunplay which is still great, and luckily that's why I played it.

42: Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (PC) / 6.26.17 / 7.5 hours / Normal, 100%
Last time I played this was at the book end of 2015, where the game narrowly missed landing on my GotY list thanks to the many points of no return and permanently missable collectibles, which as you can imagine was a bit tough to swallow for me when it comes to Metroidvanias. It also started running like dog shit on my laptop during the final quarter of the game which wasn't fun. I still thought it was great though. So with me having finally purchased a gaming PC and those issues being fixed within the Definitive Edition, as you can imagine my opinion of Ori went from "great" to "excellent". Ori may be a Metroidvania, Abilikey, Action Adventure, whatever silly thing you want to call it, but it's a platformer first and foremost. It's a damn good one too, which is why I don't mind that Ori pulls its focus away from providing what I consider true exploration, discovery, and non-linearity to excel at satisfying platforming and streamlining everything for a blazingly fast-paced experience.

Getting the obvious praise out of the way, Ori is gorgeous, it controls well, the soundtrack is fantastic, and the level design is great. What pushes Ori above and beyond is some of the abilities, like the downright genius bash ability, and the variety of platforming level mechanics introduced in conjunction with pacing. You have things like gravity-shifting, portals, platforms that appear based on whether you have an item near them, etc., and all of this is introduced and snatched away before you could even consider getting tired of them. Speaking of the pacing, despite the Def edition adding 2 new areas, I think the new abilities in combination with being able to now warp between light wells actually made this game shorter than when I initially played it.

While I think the additions and fixes in the Def Edition vastly improve the experience, I'm not sure how I feel about the new areas. You can access these fairly early on, maybe a third of the way through the game, but they feel significantly harder than most of the rest of the game and also give you abilities that jump the game into warp drive in terms of traversal thanks to dash and light burst. I like the abilities, but I kind of felt like I had reached the end-game and became a god earlier than I should have, and things were a bit more mindless because of it (was still fun though). I also took issues with the map this time around: it's hard to tell where one area ends and one begins making it confusing which collectibles belong to where, it's tough to see areas you haven't explored both before getting the map fragment and after, and you can't zoom out far enough without triggering the overworld map. Lastly, I don't know if I'm keen on how powerful the map marker abilities are. I think they should just mark it on the map once you've seen it rather than just everywhere, as this inadvertently led to me checking the map more than I would've liked.

Some other minor criticisms; a couple screens required an unfair leap of fate as things weren't properly off-screen, the game can be a bit too visually cluttered with lots of things happening and Ori not standing out enough from the background, and a quick return to the previous checkpoint in the pause menu is an odd omission. Overall though these were a drop in the bucket compared to my overall enjoyment, I had a blast with Ori and I'm very glad I finally revisited this truly improved version of it. Can't wait to see what they do with the sequel.

Main Post

Main post

-------

23. Ankh 2: Heart of Osiris - 5 hours
It's more technically broken game than Ankh 1, and some puzzles and pixel hunting are one of the worst i've ever seen in adventure games, but it's also more funny than original. Some scenes in this game are really comedy gold, "Pharaoh and Talking bush" is one of them. I recommend to play this game with walkthrough and just enjoy story.

Tizoc

latest

This game is so bad
why is it so bad? Whya re the visuals uninspired? Why are there so many bottomless death pits from World 2 onwards? Why are there timed torch lighting puzzles? WHy is this game so hard?
if they made it easy peasy it would've AT LEAST been tolerable, but this game just left a bad taste.
What's even worst is that Sonic's movement is slugish.
How the fuck do you mess that up? Why is it when I just TAP left or right, sonic barely moves, and when I start a run, he starts moving slowly then speeding up? Have the team working on this never played the original games?

Main post

-------

24. Fallout Shelter - 61 hours
Completed all quests, constructed all rooms, got 95% achievements, 30 dwellers reached level 50 and have all stats maxed. I think it can be count as completed because all available content is done.

Tizoc

Sonic the Hedgehog '4' Ep. 2
latest

A slight improvement but not by much, still has frustratingly irritating platforming challenges for no reason whatsoever.

DuckTales 2
Now this was a really good adventure platformer.
I sadly only got the BAD ending, but will replay it to get the real ending. Controls are tight and the music is good and the overall gameplay's well done.

Killer is Dead NE
header.jpg

This is a replay I've been wanting to do of the game. It's a Suda51 game, meaning it features crazy absurd themes. The gameplay is pretty simple and straight forward, although I found the level esign required some more refinement.
Overall I enjoyed it but it does have its flaws. It running at 60 FPS on PC made the experience better.

Shadowgate 2014
header.jpg

Beat the game on Normal (Easy) difficulty. The original game was infamous for having lots of ways to die in, which I didn't get to experience in this game. I don't know if the classic difficulty had more NPCs or characters in it because this game only had less than half a dozen living NPCs to interact with, plus the puzzles weren't all that difficult.

Eblo

Master post

June is over with. I may hit 52 next month.

DarksidersII.jpg

Darksiders II: May 25-June 1
Better combat than the previous game but with weaker dungeons and frequent load screens. Setting is a more typical fantasy. I much preferred the first game's mix of grimdark fantasy with a modern apocalypse. Gave it a more uniquely textured identity. Death is a funny protagonist. The Earth section was horrible and made me want the game to be over. The following sections were better but well past the point of the game overstaying its welcome. There isn't a real challenge to the game after a certain point; even the final boss is a pushover. The ending sort of just happens and essentially does nothing to move the plot forward. I hope Darksiders III is better.

250px-Super_mario_sunshine.jpg

Super Mario Sunshine: June 1-3
I disliked the game since it came out, but I thought perhaps I was being too harsh. I wasn't. The gameplay is frustrating. It's extremely hard to judge your distance when pulling off maneuvers. FLUDD just weighs the experience down. Long jump and backflip should not have been replaced by some gimmicky water jetpack thing. There's a weird emphasis on the story. The voice acting is lol, especially Bowser. I'm glad they got the right balance with the Galaxy games, although SM64 is still king. I look forward to Odyssey.

Sonic_unleashed_boxart.jpg

Sonic Unleashed: June 4-6
It's impressive how Sega managed to get gameplay that works for Sonic, only to bury it under an unnecessary beat-em-up. The werehog gameplay is somewhat decent at first, but it has no place in a Sonic game. Then it tires itself out. Eggmanland ensures that you hate your time spent playing the game. So long and so much repeat.

obpU1DZ.jpg

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (PS2/GameCube): June 6-8
Much, much better than the PSOne version. This game is an enjoyable and serviceable Zelda clone. It still retains funny rushed licensed tendencies, like Snape shitting all over the Gryffindor students for no reason. It's impressive how large and seemingly open the world managed to be for its time.

250px-SuperMarioGalaxy.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy: June 9-10
Playing this re-assured me that Sunshine is the inferior 3D Mario. The only thing it did better than the Galaxy games was retain 64's exploration and nonlinearity.

rHMOMF3.jpg

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (PS2/GameCube): June 11-13
What could have been a shamelessly rushed licensed sequel turned out to be a general improvement over the previous game. It's still mostly the same. The pacing is all over the place. The climax comes out of nowhere with no rising action.

AwTzYKh.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona: June 13-19
The first Persona is a really rough game. It has all the hallmarks of old RPGs. Encounters out the ass, steep difficulty curves, a distinct lack of QoL features, etc. The story gets decent at about 60% of the way through the game, but it just isn't worth the suffering. My recommendation is to just YouTube it.

250px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg

Metroid Prime: June 20-25
It's like they took one element of Zelda—return to previous areas with new toys to see how far you get—and made that the focus of the game. It works out so naturally. Retro managed to completely nail the scifi experience in my opinion. Scanning manages to deliver a unobtrusive isolationist storytelling experience. One thing I disliked was late-game backtracking. It was fine for most of the game, but it gets to be a bit of a pain when it involves taking long routes just to get somewhere.

cfM5JuV.jpg

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (PS2/GameCube): June 25-27
This game showcases an adept grasp at what the previous two games did well. There's a new teamwork dynamic for puzzles, and each of the different playable characters has access to unique spells and items. Everything in general is better: presentation, puzzles and dungeons, combat, stealth, and the world. Sadly the game still falls victim to a lack of QA testing with certain sections like the previous games. Despite that, it's the best of the trilogy of games before they started changing up the genre. It has a certain charm and imagination that the later games don't really touch.

OP.

6. Wonderboy and the Dragon's Trap (Switch) - 6 Hours - 5/16/2017 ★★★★☆ I really enjoyed Wonderboy. The game is apparently a remake, but I have never played the original so it was all new to me. The updated style and music was all very slick... I'm glad I didn't have to play through with the original style. The different monster forms allow for a nice variety in play style and switch up fast enough that none of them get old. There was a bit of exploration involved, which kept me guessing on where I was supposed to go next, but I only really got stuck in one or two of the more obtuse designs. My only other complaint would be that it didn't have a very satisfying end sequence. Definitely worth the $20!

7. Kamiko (Switch) - 1.1 Hours - ★★☆☆☆ 5/18/2017
So this was a quick $5 game for Switch, so I decided to check it out. I honestly couldn't recommend it to people based off my experience. The game is pretty simple in design and is clearly meant for speedrunning, but I had problems with the enemy respawn pop-ins that would show up basically on top of you and prevented you from actually running around too fast. It was frustrating and really the only reason I beat it was because it was so short. Others may enjoy more than I did.

8. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC) - 12 Hours - ★★★★☆ 6/11/2017
What a great singleplayer shooter! Killing Nazi's is always fun and this game is no exception. The best part is the suprising depth of story and well written characters that supplement the Nazi killing.

9. Bit. Trip. Runner. (PC) - 4.9 Hours - ★★★☆☆ 6/16/2017
Equal bits frustrating and mesmerizing.

10. The Banner Saga (PC) - 9.1 Hours - ★★★★☆ 6/26/2017
Alphabetically this was on top of my Steam backlog category so I chose to dive into it and really enjoyed the music and artstyle of the game. The gameplay loop was great, just enough strategy and difficulty to keep you on your feet. It may be one of the few games where it really feels like your decision and leadership make serious changes in how you reach the ending. I have a feeling that if I played again I would end up on a completely different route with potentially different characters. I'm not entirely compelled to play the sequel right away, but I do recommend giving this a try.

Also almost through Shovel Knight on Switch and INSIDE on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom