• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I do not understand the technical reason for voice chat needing an app

MUnited83

For you.
There is no technical reason.
I could see them trying to save as much battery power as possible. So for Nintendo chatting is just secondary to batter life and maybe performance.

And you know that why?
He knows because he has common senses no, voice chat is not some kind of big hit on battery or performance. That's literally not how it works. Shit just look at literally every gaming device that has ever supported it. Are you saying that the Switch is so mindblowingly shitty that voice fucking chat impacts it in any noticeable way whatsoever?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
the vita had this feature in 2011 and the last time i checked the switch is significantly more powerful than a vita.

So the Nintendo DS and PSP are more powerful than the Switch.

I guess so...

First page basically called it: no good reason.

It's true that mobile devices are incapable of supporting voice communication.

...wait, then how are we able to chat through a fucking PHONE?

Secret sauce.

AFAIK it can be done while in handheld mode, correct?

they moved communications features to the device most people own explicitly designed to handle communications.

Except not everyone has a phone capable of using this app, as opposed to everyone having the console. So why not use the console so no one with the console gets left out because their phone cant use the app?

the vita had this feature in 2011 and the last time i checked the switch is significantly more powerful than a vita.
Yes but Sony didn't have to worry about their games looking good on a big screen with the Vita in 2011. I don't know if that's the reason Nintendo decided to use an App for voice chat. Pure speculation in my part but it could be a technical reason for the decision.

Because Nintendo. You'll send yourself mad trying to actually work out the reason, it will make some sort of weird sense to them and them alone.

deoee

Beacuse it's elegant:

The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-app-matchmaking/

LAA

Yeah there is no technical reason... definitely capable of it.

Only possible thing is needing to run a voice chat app in the background as well as a game, would take up resources? But have no idea if that would take up a significant amount of resources or not.

Just seems bizarre they would...rather develop an app and accessories instead of just pushing the functionality to the console itself.

All I know is it'll go down as one of the most stupid console accessories.

Woo-Fu

Banned
And you know that why?

If you can transmit other multiplayer data for a game you can transmit voice data too. There aren't any insurmountable hurdles there, just some quality/rate stuff that needs to be juggled.

Other platforms have/do do this, even other Nintendo platforms.

That said, I don't think the reason needs to be technical and if a Nintendo mouthpiece said it was they're just spinning what might be an unpopular policy decision/compromise to some.

Nheco

The reason is the same as before: why would a company stop selling something that everyone wants at a good margin (NES Mini)?

There aren't a good reason, it's Nintendo, and half of their decisions are simple nuts.

Baleoce

Putting a microphone on the Switch itself would be cool, but then you can't use it when it's docked.

Putting a microphone (and jack) on the Joy-Cons would also be cool, but those things are tiny with tiny batteries. You don't want to compromise on controller battery life.

Also, the Switch OS barely functions for anything other than games. They get to skip out on all the overhead of running multiple processes this way.

Also everyone has a smartphone and most of them come with earbuds.

I assume the only real answer is because it brings down the manufacturing cost per unit, and the more things they can achieve through the app the better to achieve that goal. I don't agree with that decision though. My vita can use a Bluetooth headset and I can party chat.

The one innovation I will say the phone app does that's really cool, is parental controls.

autoduelist

It doesn't seem like a tech issue. The lean design of the Switch caused a few expected Nintendo features (like cameras and a mic) to get the axe.

But that is a tech issue. So if they decided upon a lean design, they're limited by the size and cost of components - both of those are tech issues.

[not defending this, by the way, I find it a bizarre choice].

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The reason is the same as before: why would a company stop selling something that everyone wants at a good margin (NES Mini)?

There aren't a good reason, it's Nintendo, and half of their decisions are simple nuts.

Yeah ? Guess how many people now want nes games on their switch instead of paying 250 to a reseller on ebay

It's most likely a cost issue. I doubt it's space limitation because the Switch is already at a size where it won't fit in your pocket. Having it millimeters thicker or wider to incorporate what's necessary when it's in your bag won't make a difference. I doubt it's parental control related if 3ds has it. Like another gaffer said, having a cable from the 3.5mm jack across the room when it's docked can have liability issues (but it might not be the case since consoles had wired controllers across the room for decades). Incorporating what's necessary to make both bluetooth joycon and headset work most likely pushed the Switch above a certain cost threshold they were shooting for so they made a design consideration.

Gestault

Because it was a compromise Nintendo made when designing the Switch for portability and with its detachable controllers. Could they have made it work? Probably, but they didn't.

"Probably" is being cheritable. There's no technological or practical consideration that made the current "solution" necessarily, so "compromise" is also a pointless word to use. Aside from not taking the time and effort to create gaming hardware/software that delivers one their own needs (let alone those for other publishers), which is their one and only business, I haven't encountered an acceptable explanation.

Regarding parental controls, there's nothing stopping Nintendo from restricting more functionality at the console level with the Parental Control app.

The problem is that too many parents simply ignore the controls—or don't seem them because the child was the one who set up the console—and Nintendo still gets blamed for it. Nintendo consoles are still largely viewed as toys, and not given the same care as something like a computer or cell phone.

Again, look at what happened with Swapnote. It only takes one story about a child having sex because of a Nintendo product...

I think Nintendo is trying to protect themselves from stories about underage children using their consoles to connect with random strangers, a la what happened with Swapnote a couple years back.

This way, in order to communicate you need to already have a device with a plethora of open communication channels.

This. They clearly went this way due to Swapnotegate. This whole conundrum prevents parents from claiming a Nintendo device opened a venue for their kids to talk with unwanted individuals, because now to chat you need a phone, continuously (as opposed to borrowing parents' one for a minute). Note that we don't know who's buying Switches for whom, but 3DSes were somewhat popular with parents who did not want their kid to have a phone.

An additional element is Nintendo going full appliance on Switch, no music player, no (user-accessible without shenanigans) Web browser, and also no communication services either.

It doesn't help that with everyone's focus on party chat as opposed to server chat nothing really should stop you from using regular communication services instead.

But the real reason is clearly Swapnote affair. They just nuked the thing overnight.

Gator86

The grand unifying theory of Nintendo - they are very conservative, but also incompetent. All of their choices are explained by this.

I own a Switch and not once have I thought about "HD rumble". Feels like plain old (even rather weak) rumble to me.
Such a worthless bulletpoint feature.

Not trying to defend the voice chat BS, but this is pretty disingenuous (or you had unrealistic expectations). Pick up ARMS or MK8D if you want to see how the HD rumble works.

MUnited83

For you.
Putting a microphone on the Switch itself would be cool, but then you can't use it when it's docked.

Putting a microphone (and jack) on the Joy-Cons would also be cool, but those things are tiny with tiny batteries. You don't want to compromise on controller battery life.

Also, the Switch OS barely functions for anything other than games. They get to skip out on all the overhead of running multiple processes this way.

Why the fuck would I use my smartphone when I'm using my console? It makes no fucking sense at all. You can't even have the fucking game audio coming through the app. So the only way you are going to be able to both voice chat and use headphones is by buying a dumb bulky ass adapter that doesn't need to exist. And you'll still be using a extra device where there is no actual good reason to use it.

Another possible reason is free advertising. If the online system is run through the console, then only Switch owners can see it. Now I don't know if the Switch online app actually does this, but in theory, because it's an app on devices that everyone owns, then Nintendo could let non-Switch owners download the app and get a taste of the Nintendo ecosystem/user experience. Maybe let those people watch some matchesin real time so that they can see what they're missing. It would be like going around Twitch, if you will.

nampad

I am with you OP but do you know what 7 can even understand less?
That there are people trying to defend Nintendo with obscure arguments.

Ludist210

From a design standpoint, it just got the axe probably to cut costs and keep the design as slim/small as possible. In theory, you could use a Bluetooth headset with the Switch without a cumbersome workaround (the Switch supports Bluetooth 4.1), but the functionality hasn't been implemented from the software side.

Maybe this changes in the future. I dunno. We can only hope.

I'll try the app with Splatoon 2 and see how I like it. I'm currently not a fan, but who knows...I've played plenty of console games using Skype and Discord, so this is basically the same thing I guess.

Seik

Banned
I don't think there's a need to understand here, at all.

Just be confused as to why this is so complicated to implant such a basic feature in the console's UI.

That's about it.

Bionic

Another possible reason is free advertising. If the online system is run through the console, then only Switch owners can see it. Now I don't know if the Switch online app actually does this, but in theory, because it's an app on devices that everyone owns, then Nintendo could let non-Switch owners download the app and get a taste of the Nintendo ecosystem/user experience. Maybe let those people watch some matchesin real time so that they can see what they're missing. It would be like going around Twitch, if you will.
They're not streaming from the Switch or to the app. Also, every other system lets you stream to people who don't own the system.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
As someone who doesn't work at Nintendo, here's some insider info made up by an outsider.

It's the result of a bet gone wrong.

But when someone says they bet you £5 you can't annoy the entire fanbase with one decision, sometimes you're wanting of that £5 and winning the bet comes before any logical business sense.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Signs have always pointed to Nintendo not liking how the internet and online messaging is beyond their total control for content and appearance. Shoving all that off onto a smartphone app developed by a partner seems perfect for them, if not the end user.

They can say they have competitive online features but their actual first-party devices are free of services they don't want to deal with.

jroc74

Except not everyone has a phone capable of using this app, as opposed to everyone having the console. So why not use the console so no one with the console gets left out because their phone cant use the app?

I hope that post you replied to was sarcasm...

Reading thru the Switch Online app thread its a mess even as an app....for phones that explicitly handle communication.

Even as a launch app, some things should have been done before any updates, fixes.

ecosse_011172

According to NeoGAF's most technology-versed users, Switch games use the system's hardware to the last bit. While voice chat on Nintendo DS was very well possible, Switch games are optimised to push the limits, and thus voice chat needs to be offloaded to mobile phones.

I really don't think that is the reason.

My assumption is that the RAM use at an OS level is very small and Nintendo delegated almost all the RAM available to games especially if its true that Capcom and others requested more RAM to be available for games.

If that's true then the options for voice chat would be to either build it per game (and not at an OS level) like Wii U did, at an OS level (which might not be possible on Switch if the OS has very low RAM delegated to it), or offload it to a smartphone app.

The switch is too versatile for there to be a good solution to this outside of the app.

Wii-U had voice chat without an app, but then you didn't dock the screen-controller, that jack will always be right next to your head(phones).

Switch has too many configurations -
*both joycons attached in hand
*both joycons, separated and switch propped up
*both joycons, docked
*single joycon, docked
*signle joycon, separated and switch proped
*pro controller docked
*pro controller, propped

So although there is a jack 3.5mm jack on the switch, it's often going to be either slightly or completely out of reach.

Common forum solution - "3.5mm jack all the things!" (both joycons, pro-controller, switch), A bit silly, that would mean a switch by default (with two joyons attached) would have 3 x 3.5mm jacks on it. Completely crap solution fundamentally. Never mind fitting them on joycons, engineering and usability for which jack to use by default, increased battery use for sending audio as data and fitting that (and battery) on a little tiny joycon.

Another common forum solution - "just use BT audio" - even though in 2017 BT audio still stinks. One directional stereo is 'acceptable', but 2-way with mic it horrible quality mono sound, completely unsuitable for games, especially if your game sound is coming over that too. No PS4 or Xbox wireless headset is BT audio for this exact reason, propriety shit with dongles. Likewise PS4/Xbox controllers don't fuck with BT audio when sending your 3.5mm port data over the controller wireless.

So yeah, you get an app, I guess that works OK in certain switch configurations, and if you aren't using TV speaker or switch speaker for game sounds, you can get a little adapter for your headphones to get switch/phone sounds at once. It is what it is. It's fine to be honest. Phone/discord/headset is already thing anyway.

NimbusD

You know what else switch owners always have with them? A switch. Lol.

Still haven't heard a single convincing argument for why locking chat to a phone app is good.

yyr

There isn't a technical reason.

This.

This was a business decision, not a technical limitation. That much is certain. As everyone already knows, lots of gaming platforms (including all other consoles) provide integrated voice chat, implemented well.

The reasoning behind the decision is unknown and will probably remain so.

LordRaptor

I hope that post you replied to was sarcasm...

No. There are plenty of reasons why moving communications to the device explicitly designed for that purpose makes a lot of sense.

Its moot though, because how Nintendo executes it is the single most important thing, not the potential that may or may not be met and GAF are inherently reluctant to want anything more than faster horses in the first place.

Synth

*sigh*

There is just one piece of hardware, which does something similar like the Switch and this is the Nividia Shield. Those handheld need to display games over a long time and never miss a frame to be playable. And if you want to run games like Zelda for at least two hours, there have sacrifices to be made. The Switch isn't a commination device, it's a gaming console-handheld-hybride, so we have to take a different perspective on such a device.
The OP asks, if someone can explain those technically details, why and if Nintendo really had to make those. It's a good question and you don't really bring a good answer into this thread.

At a technical level there are tons of devices that do something similar to the switch. Most mobile devices (especially tablets) are comparable, have similar battery concerns, and don't decide to throw voice communication out for the 5 extra minutes of Zelda that you may possibly gain from it.

But there are games like ARMS, where there is complete different experience with a Pro Controller. Also people would need to buy a Pro Controller to have Voice-chat, which doesn't make anything better.

It didn't need to be restricted to the Pro controller. It could have been included in the grip controller also (along with fucking battery charging, holy shit...). Yes, you would have use cases where you wouldn't realistically have a headset connected, but that's when either a Bluetooth connection to the console, or the current mobile device makes sense. This one use-case should not have resulted in in a phone being required at all times. If I'm using PlayStation Moves, then I don't have my headset connected to them, that doesn't mean it should be removed from the DualShock also, it's a stupid argument.

I don't say, that the app is a great solution. It's just a solution. The question is, if you're given no chance to have Voice-chat on the device (not even a Bluetooth connection, which would still drown the battery), is the app a good solution, given the limitations.

It's a "solution" to a problem they've uniquely created for themselves. Sure if it was the only feasible way to have voice chat on a portable gaming device, then it would make sense... but it isn't. It should be an additional option, not the only option.

MUnited83

For you.
My assumption is that the RAM use at an OS level is very small and Nintendo delegated almost all the RAM available to games especially if its true that Capcom and others requested more RAM to be available for games.

If that's true then the options for voice chat would be to either build it per game (and not at an OS level) like Wii U did, at an OS level (which might not be possible on Switch if the OS has very low RAM delegated to it), or offload it to a smartphone app.
Man the original Xbox should have ran games at one digit framerates if so. 64mb of ram and yet handled voice chat pretty darn well.

How I imagine it went was that a few top management were grumbling about how much work/money it would be to set up their own voice chat considering they hadn't even finished their online switch infrastructure yet and hadn't make proper preparations for it when designing the hardware like they should have. With release too soon to implement in time, the tech guys were saying "please understand."
Then, as one looked with scorn at the intern in the corner playing on his phone more than working, he got a twinkle in his eye. "Let's just make an app! Kids love apps." Then everyone nervously golf clapped because it sounded like shit but they didn't have any better ideas themselves.

Reggie was not present at the meeting, but upon sensing such an asinine and frustrating decision being made within his organization, started Agent Smith laughing.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
At least they can fix the current implementation since it's an app, but yeah.

jroc74

No. There are plenty of reasons why moving communications to the device explicitly designed for that purpose makes a lot of sense.

Its moot though, because how Nintendo executes it is the single most important thing, not the potential that may or may not be met and GAF are inherently reluctant to want anything more than faster horses in the first place.

For a device thats designed around portability....it doesnt make sense.

Its why we saw, see the rise of smaller tablets, bigger tablets, phablets (phone, tablet hybrids) Bigger screen phones in general.

Each one designed to allow the person to only need one device. Whatever that choice may be.

Its why years ago before the rise of smartphones some cellphones could play .mp3's. Despite the success of iPods. Their status changed from cell phone to feature phone. At one point the line between feature phone and smartphone was blurred.

I dont even know if they make iPods anymore. Its kind of a waste IMO when you could just get some smartphone, not activate it and use that instead. iPod nano, thats different..

Its also the reason why you see Sony and MS design their consoles to be media hubs. Why have a separate dvd, blu ray player. Why use your PC for web browsing. Why use your cable, satellite, PC for content viewing.

Top Bottom