• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What makes good motion controls in games?

Jubenhimer

Gamers have always had a very complicated relationship with the concept of motion controls. While when done right, they can add a level of immersion, novelty, and even precision to games that work well with them. But, there are also a lot of games that just play best with a standard button-based control scheme and motion controls, when needlessly shoved in, just add a layer of confusion and annoyance. Nintendo first made the input big in the late 2000s with its Wii console, which used its Remote-like controller to simulate gestures and movements, best demonstrated with its pack-in title Wii Sports.

But the original implementation of Motion Controls on the console was a bit of a mixed bag. There were plenty of excellent uses of Motion controls that added to the experience such as with Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, and Red Steel 2. But for every one of those, you had a bunch of games that used convoluted or pointless motion control schemes that are more frustraiting than fun, largely as a byproduct of the Wii Remote's limited button layout. This phenomena of randomly shaking the controller to do something a button could've done just as well, if not better is dubbed 'Waggle', and was a common problem with a lot of the console's earlier titles, which turned quite a few people off from the concept of motion controls, as the original poor implimtaions of the format were perhaps one of their few, if only experiences with it. It didn't help that the Wii's Classic Controller wasn't very well supported in the console's early years, so motion was your only option for many of these games.

After the Wii, the hype for motion controls quieted down considerably, as the succeeding console generation all had a standard gamepad as the default controller. But here's the dirty secret of motion controls... They never actually died. Nintendo Switch's Joy-Con controllers are basically tiny Wii Remotes with improved motion technology that quite a few games utilize. And there's things like the PS5's DualSense having a motion sensor, along with other platforms like Steam allowing for motion input. There's also been a rise of gyro-based aiming in console shooters, where you can precisely aim at targets just by moving your wrists. And there's of course VR, which has done perhaps the most development in motion control technology in recent years

So with Motion control still alive and kicking, abiet not having that shiny new hottness factor it once possessed, that begs the question, what makes a good motion control game? IMO, Motion Controls often work best as a compliment to button based inputs, not as the sole replacement for them. The problem motion has vs. buttons is the inherent delay in them. A waggle isn't going to be as fast or instant as pressing a button, so for games that require lightning-quick precision, button inputs just work better. But for mechanics that require slower, more deliberate actions or don't need as much precision, motion can really add a layer of context and depth to the experience that can be just as entertaining as standard controls.

The No More Heroes games understand this brilliantly. Basic attacks are mapped to a button press, while more impactful moments such as finishers or the katana recharging are mapped to gestures with the controller. So you get a good mix of the prescision and speed of button inputs, as well as the satisfaction and imerssion of motion as well.

Super Mario Odyssey I think is another game that works well with Motion Controls. You can play the game normally with buttons and not miss much of anything, but the Motion Controls with detached Joy-Con allow for a greater degree of control over how you throw the hat that it can be very satisfying and fun. And even with motion controls, you still have the option of a basic throw with the Y button, so you always have a button on hand for moments that require a little more response time.

Anything aiming related of course, is always going to be enhanced with some type of gryoscope input. Being able to simply subtly snap your wrist to quickly aim at different targets is just faster and more precise than the slow, fumbling nature of an analog stick, who's actual limitations are disguised by a series of auto-aiming and magnatism mechanics. It's why you see this feature poping up in literally every console shooter these days on Switch and PlayStation.

Obviously not every game is going to work with motion, and there are still plenty of gamers who would rather sit on their couch with a standard controller mashing buttons instead of moving their arms. But for games that do work well with motion controls, it can be very enjoyable and satisfying experience. I think where motion is today, is at a perfect sweet spot, especially on Nintendo Switch, where you have a standard control layout for traditional games, but also out-of the-box motion control system for games that play well with it. And for most games, the gesture based motion controls are often optional, so gamers who prefer a button-based scheme can enjoy them as well.

Last edited:

GymWolf

In my case is when devs also include an option to switch to a normal controller.

I only accept motion control in vr where they actually make sense, for everything else i prefer normal controls.

If i want to wildly flail my arms to entartain myself i can just jerk off :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Only fast and accurate ala VR.

Anything else I'm either not using motion controls, or just not playing. The Wii is unfortunately one console I rarely go back to these days thanks to shit controls being shoe horned into nearly every game.
I think the Wii is very much the growing pains of motion controls as a format. Figuring out what worked and what didn't work with this input. So you of course get a ton of games with nonsensical waggle-based control schemes. But you also have a lot of games that utilized the control scheme in smart and impactful ways too, such as with Metroid Prime Trilogy, where its IR based aiming obliterates the clunky tank controls of the GameCube versions. Today, there's much more smart and controlled use of it. VR as you mentioned, but gyro aiming is also becoming much more common place in console shooters to the point where gamers are practically begging developers to add them.

ThaGuy

I really do hope Nintendo adds IR in its controllers again while keeping the standard form. It almost rivaled the mouse and keyboard with it's accuracy. I hate playing fps games with just regular controls. At least Sony and Nintendo has gyro in its controllers which is not the same.

And shame on you for not mentioning zak and wiki 😔.

Jubenhimer

I really do hope Nintendo adds IR in its controllers again while keeping the standard form. It almost rivaled the mouse and keyboard with it's accuracy. I hate playing fps games with just regular controls. At least Sony and Nintendo has gyro in its controllers which is not the same.
I think this might be a big feature for Switch 2's Joy-Con. Gyro-pointing works fine for slower-paced games, but having to constantly re-center the cursor when it inevitably drifts off isn't ideal for more fast paced games like rail shooters.

I am a motion control enthusiast, and I am not sure what would help further their adoption. I love Valve's approach to gyro, since they let you configure many options to get the motion sensitivity you want. However I am doubtful most gamers would bother tinker to get their preferred aprroach. Once one finds the motion control sweetspot, it is possibly the most "next gen" feature I can think of that elevates gameplay aiming accuracy

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

The only application I am ok with (outside of VR) is gyro aiming. Party games are the exception. Nothing quite like wiggling your stick around with friends.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
didnt read GIF

Fuck motion and gyro controls

SHA

I think you could get more details with steam big picture mode, when you mod your controller, there's graphs for the motion sticks, you'll get what I mean once you try it, generally speaking, dead zone, sensitivity and acceleration.

Last edited:

Crayon

Steam input lets you map and fine tune motion controls for any game. That's by far and away the best implementation of gyro in a controller. A tool that lets you implement it yourself.

Sad how day one of PS3 we had f1ce with outstanding motion controlled steering, but the internet would be in nonstop rage mode about mc for many years to come.

VR is a different ballgame. If full body tracking is 'motion controls' then we are talking about a very wide scale between that and a wiimote.

Last edited:

El Muerto

First game i played on the Wii was Madworld. The motion controls for that game was satisfying. Warioware is a ton of fun with motion controls too. Other than those i opt for gyro aiming in shooters, god bless Steam controller support.

Jubenhimer

First game i played on the Wii was Madworld. The motion controls for that game was satisfying.
This is another really good example. It's not as twitchy of an action game than something like Bayonetta, so large violent attacks that don't require as much speed made it very well suited to motion controls. (Also Madworld HD for Switch please!)

PaintTinJr

Gamers have always had a very complicated relationship with the concept of motion controls. While when done right, they can add a level of immersion, novelty, and even precision to games that work well with them. But, there are also a lot of games that just play best with a standard button-based control scheme and motion controls, when needlessly shoved in, just add a layer of confusion and annoyance. Nintendo first made the input big in the late 2000s with its Wii console, which used its Remote-like controller to simulate gestures and movements, best demonstrated with its pack-in title Wii Sports.

But the original implementation of Motion Controls on the console was a bit of a mixed bag. There were plenty of excellent uses of Motion controls that added to the experience such as with Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, and Red Steel 2. But for every one of those, you had a bunch of games that used convoluted or pointless motion control schemes that are more frustraiting than fun, largely as a byproduct of the Wii Remote's limited button layout. This phenomena of randomly shaking the controller to do something a button could've done just as well, if not better is dubbed 'Waggle', and was a common problem with a lot of the console's earlier titles, which turned quite a few people off from the concept of motion controls, as the original poor implimtaions of the format were perhaps one of their few, if only experiences with it. It didn't help that the Wii's Classic Controller wasn't very well supported in the console's early years, so motion was your only option for many of these games.

After the Wii, the hype for motion controls quieted down considerably, as the succeeding console generation all had a standard gamepad as the default controller. But here's the dirty secret of motion controls... They never actually died. Nintendo Switch's Joy-Con controllers are basically tiny Wii Remotes with improved motion technology that quite a few games utilize. And there's things like the PS5's DualSense having a motion sensor, along with other platforms like Steam allowing for motion input. There's also been a rise of gyro-based aiming in console shooters, where you can precisely aim at targets just by moving your wrists. And there's of course VR, which has done perhaps the most development in motion control technology in recent years

So with Motion control still alive and kicking, abiet not having that shiny new hottness factor it once possessed, that begs the question, what makes a good motion control game? IMO, Motion Controls often work best as a compliment to button based inputs, not as the sole replacement for them. The problem motion has vs. buttons is the inherent delay in them. A waggle isn't going to be as fast or instant as pressing a button, so for games that require lightning-quick precision, button inputs just work better. But for mechanics that require slower, more deliberate actions or don't need as much precision, motion can really add a layer of context and depth to the experience that can be just as entertaining as standard controls.

The No More Heroes games understand this brilliantly. Basic attacks are mapped to a button press, while more impactful moments such as finishers or the katana recharging are mapped to gestures with the controller. So you get a good mix of the prescision and speed of button inputs, as well as the satisfaction and imerssion of motion as well.

Super Mario Odyssey I think is another game that works well with Motion Controls. You can play the game normally with buttons and not miss much of anything, but the Motion Controls with detached Joy-Con allow for a greater degree of control over how you throw the hat that it can be very satisfying and fun. And even with motion controls, you still have the option of a basic throw with the Y button, so you always have a button on hand for moments that require a little more response time.

Anything aiming related of course, is always going to be enhanced with some type of gryoscope input. Being able to simply subtly snap your wrist to quickly aim at different targets is just faster and more precise than the slow, fumbling nature of an analog stick, who's actual limitations are disguised by a series of auto-aiming and magnatism mechanics. It's why you see this feature poping up in literally every console shooter these days on Switch and PlayStation.

Obviously not every game is going to work with motion, and there are still plenty of gamers who would rather sit on their couch with a standard controller mashing buttons instead of moving their arms. But for games that do work well with motion controls, it can be very enjoyable and satisfying experience. I think where motion is today, is at a perfect sweet spot, especially on Nintendo Switch, where you have a standard control layout for traditional games, but also out-of the-box motion control system for games that play well with it. And for most games, the gesture based motion controls are often optional, so gamers who prefer a button-based scheme can enjoy them as well.
No, IMO motion controls work best when they are intuitive meaning the initial learning curve is very brief and when you revert to conventional controls you feel like by comparison you are listening in mono,

Wii's Skyward sword versus the rubbish twilight princess is probably the best contrast of good versus bad use. When forced back to pressing an attack button in BotW it felt like such reduction in interaction, it took years to forget how much better it is with precise and intuitive blade swing controls. And I had the same experience with Killzone 3 and the sharpshooter on PS3. Games like Rage and KZ4 felt really weird without that intuitive action that carries from the physical to the digital world, afterwards IMO.

Wii sports and PS Sport Champions are both great examples of motion controls, but in regards of the motion controls in the joycons, I would argue they are a terrible substitute, being too small and flimsy. and less accurate that motionplus, because of the tiny size, which give less leverage and control than a PS move or a wii motionplus, but I do still prefer the motion aim of pro controller or housed joycons (at a push) than motionless conventional controls.

NintendoLand's games are obviously great, the ninja wiiU control one being particularly good and WiiU Warioware mini games like fronking and mario party motion games are usually really great fun and intuitive, and Monekyball banabltiz's monkey target worked great. But IMO wiiU pad, wiimotion plus or PS move were the pinacle of motion gaming and everything that's come after has felt inferior or like it is trying to remove the feature.

Last edited:

Closer

Gimme shooters with IR pointing ala Goldeneye 007 and Metroid Prime 3. Maybe some Let's tap, racers, Just dance. Everything else, please no. I love motion controls, but forced motion controls was the worst on Wii. Devs never really bothered to implement it fully and in a meaningful way.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't know that it can be deemed as motion controls, but I miss the Wii's IR pointer.

Gyro aiming is just not the same. It doesn't have the same precision.

Jubenhimer

Gimme shooters with IR pointing ala Goldeneye 007 and Metroid Prime 3. Maybe some Let's tap, racers, Just dance. Everything else, please no. I love motion controls, but forced motion controls was the worst on Wii. Devs never really bothered to implement it fully and in a meaningful way.
Agreed. Those early Wii days were rough. But I think by the end of its life, more developers knew the ins and outs of the control format. A lot of later Wii games moved beyond the "Waggle = button press" implementations and started using motion in smarter ways like MadWorld or Dead Space Extraction, and many just ignored it entirely. And on the Switch, we've seen a lot better and more controlled implementations of the input thanks to the more standardized button layout of the Joy-Con, which forces developers to only use motion control in places where it would make sense to use it.

Last edited:

nkarafo

The only good motion controls i remember were the flashlight handling in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for the Wii.

Basically, you hold a virtual flashlight in the same way you would hold a real one. It felt very natural and it didn't have to be too precise like a weapon would.

It was so good i actually miss it when playing the game with dual analog controls via emulation.

After Wii and Kinect 1 & 2 the lowest latency is vital for any sort of motion controls feeling decent. Modern game controllers with motion controls have worked bloody hard to reduce their input latency, far more than cam based motion ones.

VR is a different beast where motion has the same latency requirement for inputs but the output sync is just as vital due to nausea and meaningful or natural feedback.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The more time passes, the more I get convinced that people who hate motion controls are just still salty they couldn’t get a Wii at launch and never really played its games. Outside of games completely built around motion controls, “waggle” was very limited and integrated in a way that didn’t get in the way of precise gameplay. Examples of bad waggle implementation include QTEs in RE4 and blowing flowers in DKC Returns. Very few and far between. People acting as if motion controls completely ruined the entire Wii lineup are making a whole mountain range out of a molehill.

As stated several times, IR/gyro aiming is so infinitely superior to using a stick (especially a modern stick with its enormous deadzones) it’s simply criminal that “hardcore” gamers’ complains led to the almost complete disappearance of motion controls in gaming. Metroid Prime with motion controls is Metroid Prime as God intended.

Jubenhimer

The more time passes, the more I get convinced that people who hate motion controls are just still salty they couldn’t get a Wii at launch and never really played its games. Outside of games completely built around motion controls, “waggle” was very limited and integrated in a way that didn’t get in the way of precise gameplay. Examples of bad waggle implementation include QTEs in RE4 and blowing flowers in DKC Returns. Very few and far between. People acting as if motion controls completely ruined the entire Wii lineup are making a whole mountain range out of a molehill.
Well, to be fair, a lot of early Wii games suffered from excessive use of waggle to replace actions that could be done with a button press on other consoles. Waggle isn't bad on its own when used sparingly and in places that feel natural (Ground Pounding in DKC TF on Switch, Spin in Mario Galaxy, or Charging the Beam Katana in No More Heroes) but when it's being used for actions that require too much precision and reliablility (Rolling in DKC Returns) that's when people get annoyed. I agree that the hate for motion among the "Hardcore" is overblown, but I don't think it was entirely unfounded. Motion controls were a hot new concept at the time, so a lot of developers wanted to cash in on this exciting new input without actually analyzing its strengths and weaknesses first. Those flawed early uses soured motion controls for quite a few people.

As stated several times, IR/gyro aiming is so infinitely superior to using a stick (especially a modern stick with its enormous deadzones) it’s simply criminal that “hardcore” gamers’ complains led to the almost complete disappearance of motion controls in gaming. Metroid Prime with motion controls is Metroid Prime as God intended.
I don't think it really disappeared. A lot of Switch games offer fun Motion/gryo options (It's the best way to play shooters), and you also have VR, a format where 1:1 motion controls make perhaps the most sense. Motion aiming is even becoming standard in PlayStation shooters now.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I loved playing the Metroid Prime games with Wiimote and Nunchuk. The immersion was amazing as you really felt in control of the arm. While being somewhat redundant it was quite charming to collect and shoot stars in Super Mario Galaxy. I think part of why it worked so well was because of the size and design of the Wii controllers. I had no desire to play with motion control in Super Mario Odyssey as the joy-cons are way too small and uncomfortable for me to be holding them in each hand like that. But I like that they have the capability and Mario Party Switch was a blast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom