• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is playing Pikmin 4 without motion controls?

I played Pikmin 1-3 on Wii/Wii U with motion controls and loved the experience and feel those games were truly built for motion controls. It's a real shame that the Switch doesn't support the Wiimote, and thusly Pikmin 4. Does anyone have experience with Pikmin 1-3 with motion controls and play Pikmin 4?

How is it?

I really don't like the idea of playing Pikmin 4 with a stick. I'm thinking of buying the game and just emulating it on my PC and using a mouse + keyboard to play it.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

It's perfectly usable, especially since there is an auto lock-on(can be frustrating sometimes, can't turn it off).
Also, hitting bulborbs in the eyes isn't a thing anymore so you don't need precision.

Robb

Gold Member
I haven’t played it, but doesn’t Pikmin 4 have motion controls? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that.

Bridges

I played Pikmin 3 with Wiimote+Nunchuck & The Gamepad for management (best way to play it) and the transition to 4 with its lock-on controls was weird, but not bad.

Weirdly, the game does selectively use pointer controls with the joy cons. If you hold down the throw or the whistle buttons, you can aim the remote to move the cursor, and it feels great. It is puzzling that there is not a way to always use the pointer, but it works well when they let you.

Poplin

pikmin 4 supports motion controls, but i actually enjoyed it just fine with the pad. possibly even more so (but i really dont like motion controls)

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Pikmin 4 is good but by Christ is Nintendo still stuck in the dark ages. No story co-op and no online multiplayer (battle mode).
Shambles really and a huge step back from 3.

Edit: Pikmin 3 deluxe btw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom