• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

magawolaz

But I want the nitty-gritty details and swap the specific parts, this isn't NFS, I mean this almost seems like an even worse change than leaving out the SP career, I honestly don't get what they're doing with this title. I haven't once seen or heard someone complain that there is too much tuning in GT, so why are they removing this?
It doesn't make sense to have that kind of tuning with this new approach. It's kind of an evolution of GT6's Quick Races, where you pick up a given car (with PD giving it BoP) and race against others in the same category/conditions.

EDIT: what sems4arsenal said.

bombshell

It doesn't make sense to have that kind of tuning with this new approach. It's kind of an evolution of GT6's Quick Races, where you picked up a given car (with PD giving it BoP) and race against others in the same category/conditions.

That is partly true, but it is possible to quite drastically alter the BoP of the car in the image I posted.

I mean in power level 2 you can give it BHP within a range of 444-640 BHP and there's a third power level upgrade with an even higher range.

Similar with weight reduction, but that is not highlighted in the image for us to see possible weight range.

That is partly true, but it is possible to quite drastically alter the BoP of the car in the image I posted.

I mean in power level 2 you can give it BHP within a range of 444-640 BHP and there's a third power level upgrade with an even higher range.

Similar with weight reduction, but that is not highlighted in the image for us to see possible weight range.

That part needs to be clarified. From what I understood you unlock the car's full potential after a few laps of driving it?

magawolaz

Yeah, most likely for Arcade mode and/or classic online lobbies. I meant to say that Sport mode is an evolution of GT6's matchmaking

bombshell

That part needs to be clarified. From what I understood you unlock the car's full potential after a few laps of driving it?

It looks like the car in the image needs to be driven for 380 more miles to get access to its level 2 power range.

Yeah, most likely for Arcade mode and/or classic online lobbies. I meant to say that Sport mode is an evolution of GT6's matchmaking

Is BoP not a part of Sport races?

Welp. Couldn't be more disappointed with how this game is shaping up. Online focused, tutorials instead of a career (even after the extra time afforded it), and a small selection of tracks and cars relative to the competition.

I'm sure the online competitive crowd will dig this, but this series just isn't for me any more.

magawolaz

It looks like the car in the image needs to be driven for 380 more miles to get access to its level 2 power range.

Is BoP not a part of Sport races?
It is (actually I think it's exclusive to Sport mode), I'm just saying that even if you unlock the full potential of the car, PD's Balance of Performance in Sport mode will limit the car power/weight to whatever they chose to keep it competitive.
So you'll probably get to use the extra juice in other modes (Arcade, lobbies, etc.)

bombshell

It is (actually I think it's exclusive to Sport mode), I'm just saying that even if you unlock the full potential of the car, PD's Balance of Performance in Sport mode will limit the car power/weight to whatever they chose to keep it competitive.
So you'll probably get to use the extra juice in other modes (Arcade, lobbies, etc.)

Hmm, let's see. If BoP works as intended, a 600 BoP car's performance should be perfectly balanced no matter which car you have tuned to 600 BoP to enter the event with.

magawolaz

Hmm, let's see. If BoP works as intended, a 600 BoP car's performance should be perfectly balanced no matter which car you have tuned to 600 BoP to enter the event with.
Ah I see what you mean now. No, there shouldn't be a BoP "number", like the old PP system... Power and weight (and tyres, apparently) will simply be adjusted by PD.
nzdkFpL.png

bombshell

Ah I see what you mean now. No, there shouldn't be a BoP "number", like the old PP system... Power and weight (and tyres, apparently) will simply be adjusted by PD.

Thanks for the image, but now I'm confused lol

Do you have a link at hand to that video?

Furyous

After gaining 33 levels in a week playing this new game called Driveclub, to me it's new. PD needs to step up their shit if they're going to dethrone the best racing game on PS4.

All of these are previews and the final game has yet to change but I need more than what I've seen. As a single player gamer I hope this isn't online only or a connected world. It's okay if the game has clubs that can earn points by contributing offline to races. I want PD to take the Driveclub approach but with more customization. If they have to go the DLC path then exploit all the way but wait for eight months so day one owners don't feel ripped off.

BibiMaghoo

GTS is not only about high level competition. The game is supposed to match players by their level. You should still have fun racing people your level, no?

I hope so, but I'm in regardless. I just think that maybe someone who is objectively good at the competitive aspect of the GT games may well undervalue the AI aspects compared to someone that is not so skilled.

Fredrik

It doesn't make sense to have that kind of tuning with this new approach. It's kind of an evolution of GT6's Quick Races, where you pick up a given car (with PD giving it BoP) and race against others in the same category/conditions.

Yeah but you have offline modes too. Why can't you have the usual stuff there just like in other racing games? Why change the IP at it's core just because you're giving the online modes an update?

KdotIX

Is the track list complete l thought this has a FIA license?

Seemingly all the tracks are known at this point. They have a partnership with the FIA - meaning at some point you can race for a digital FIA racing license (which apparently is the same as a real world FIA race license).

magawolaz

Yeah but you have offline modes too. Why can't you have the usual stuff there just like in other racing games? Why change the IP at it's core just because you're giving the online modes an update?
Because it doesn't make sense to split tuning in two different methods for offline and online, and because it's better this way now that there's no career.
It's the same approach Assetto Corsa has - maybe even Project Cars..? It's been a while since I played it, and I've never been a fan of tuning anyway.

Kunos' boss explained it perfectly on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-11-its-a-very-difficult-community
"It is complicated. If you look at other games that are successful, they have the concept of car upgrades. It's a fantastic concept from a game design point of view - you go to a race you can't win, you get some money out of it, then you can buy upgrades and make your car faster."

So you end up winning because your car is faster instead of you being a better driver. You feel a sense of achievement, but the game is just hiding the fact that you cannot drive. In Assetto Corsa, though, we give you this very hard reality. Get better or get out!" Never change, Kunos. Never change.

GT fan since the very first one, played every iteration, incl. Prologues and the mobile one.

I totally understand that GT has to take a new direction, and if they manage to develop a system which makes sure that crash kiddies have no chance to enter a gentlemen drivers race, that would we awesome indeed.

That said, I'm no online player, I prefer single player games, so a proper campaign is still vital for me. This is why I'll probably skip Sports and go with PCars 2 for now.

Maybe I'll join later on when they introduce a "Definitive edition" with all DLCs...

Fredrik

Because it doesn't make sense to split tuning in two different methods for offline and online, and because it's better this way now that there's no career.
It's the same approach Assetto Corsa has - maybe even Project Cars..? It's been a while since I played it, and I've never been a fan of tuning anyway.

Kunos' boss explained it perfectly on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-11-its-a-very-difficult-community

"It is complicated. If you look at other games that are successful, they have the concept of car upgrades. It's a fantastic concept from a game design point of view - you go to a race you can't win, you get some money out of it, then you can buy upgrades and make your car faster."

So you end up winning because your car is faster instead of you being a better driver.
You feel a sense of achievement, but the game is just hiding the fact that you cannot drive. In Assetto Corsa, though, we give you this very hard reality. Get better or get out!" Never change, Kunos. Never change.
Well I love tuning even if that makes me a crappy driver. But they've already pushed me out since I don't have PS+, I understand the thought for online to make competition more fair, but to me it absolutely makes sense to have a beefy single player mode too with all the nitty-gritty details we're used to in GT even if that means splitting the tuning mechanic. Online plays differently as it is anyway so it shouldn't be a problem to balance SP in it's own way.

Both offline and online need to compliment each other. You can't have one feature for just the offline aspect.

Thinking about it, PD kinda do the tuning for you. For example there is a Mercedes SLS road car in the N class, a Mercedes SLS cup car for the Group 4 car, and a SLS Group 3 monster for the GR.3 class.

Rodelero

Well I love tuning even if that makes me a crappy driver. But they've already pushed me out since I don't have PS+, I understand the thought for online to make competition more fair, but to me it absolutely makes sense to have a beefy single player mode too with all the nitty-gritty details we're used to in GT even if that means splitting the tuning mechanic. Online plays differently as it is anyway so it shouldn't be a problem to balance SP in it's own way.

Gran Turismo Sport features car tuning. Tuning is an authentic and important part of motorsport. What Gran Turismo Sport doesn't feature is parts upgrading, which is a very gamey and largely fantasy element of the older Gran Turismo games, the Forza games, Need for Speed games, and so on. It is also a major factor that ensures that multiplayer racing is completely imbalanced in those games.

magawolaz

That's fair but no, it doesn't make sense to have two different tuning mechanics in the same game. Even by PD's standards.

Hope you can find your classic GT fix. If you like bikes, absolutely check out Ride 2. It's got upgrades, offline championships, etc.

farisr

That's fair but no, it doesn't make sense to have two different tuning mechanics in the same game. Even by PD's standards.
it absolutely does make sense if PD actually cared about their existing fanbase to provide a complete GT experience. Games like destiny do stuff like this all the time time. Competitive weapons/leveling systems are different than pve systems.

IISANDERII

I appreciate your perspective, the only thing I would say is that most don't have the skills to compete at a high level in an online racing space, and so having cups and events against AI making a core of the game was essential for those people, of which I am among them. Smashing some AI events made the game fulfilling, and often it was hard fought to get those first places. I will be unable to achieve that against other players almost all the time.
The SR system should group together players of similar skill. The beta had low numbers so the experience wasn't what it could be.

Man i can't wait.

These last few pages of dinosaurs wishing for the GT of old are really making me look forward to the new game.

Racing first without pointless boat.

So good.

offshore

These last few pages of dinosaurs wishing for the GT of old are really making me look forward to the new game.
Erm... I don't think anyone wanted GT of old; certainly not of the PS3 era. What people did want was a new direction for GT... and GTS doesn't look like the right direction. Why couldn't we have a refreshed, in-depth offline career mode? Why is the track list so bad? Why are there so few cars, and why is the car list so bad? Why is the sound still bad - and yes, it's bad. So you can take amazing photos... that's great. But I can't race photos...

It's great some people are looking forward to GTS. I just don't believe it's going to do very well and I don't believe it's what many people wanted or expected from what is de facto a mainline GT game.

Fredrik

So you never really liked previous GT games?
I think that's a valid question.

This is my way of thinking at GTS right now:

Question "- What do you think about Gran Turismo?"

Answer 1 "- It's awesome! Love it! Can't wait to get to play the next game!"

Conclusion 1"- Okay play something else this time, GTS probably isn't for you."

Answer 2 "- It used to be great but, nah, I honestly don't like it anymore."

Conclusion 2 "- Great! Check out GTS, you might like that! They've changed everything!"

Am I unfair here? I just think that those who don't understand the complaints here were quite tired of the previous GT, I don't think they were looking forward to a new GT really but rather just a new racing game with Polyphony Digital visual quality.

DavidDesu

For those who race other games online, what sort of experience will a ping of just under 70ms get me? Seems to work ok with Rocket League (not as good as my old connection where I had about 30ms but playable).

As for GT, the games shaping up alright. From some replays I've seen the sound can be incredibly good, from others pretty bad. Visuals can look like a spruced up GT6, other times often looks photo real. I'm on the fence but I honestly prefer the switch to proper online racing as the core. If they pull it off with the ratings system then it should lead to far more enjoyable, meaningful racing. The career in the old games was just shit, indeed I've not played a racing game that's had a career any better than just "here's some events... go and do them...". It's never very engrossing and computer AI is usually a large part of the problem.

I'll buy this, I need my Nordschleife fix, and I just hope they don't meander too long making changes the community wants to make this the best GT ever.

For those who race other games online, what sort of experience will a ping of just under 70ms get me? Seems to work ok with Rocket League (not as good as my old connection where I had about 30ms but playable).

As for GT, the games shaping up alright. From some replays I've seen the sound can be incredibly good, from others pretty bad. Visuals can look like a spruced up GT6, other times often looks photo real. I'm on the fence but I honestly prefer the switch to proper online racing as the core. If they pull it off with the ratings system then it should lead to far more enjoyable, meaningful racing. The career in the old games was just shit, indeed I've not played a racing game that's had a career any better than just "here's some events... go and do them...". It's never very engrossing and computer AI is usually a large part of the problem.

I'll buy this, I need my Nordschleife fix, and I just hope they don't meander too long making changes the community wants to make this the best GT ever.

I've been racing with a 150 ping and it was fine.

Gestault

This idea of peeling away the ability to iterate and improve on a car through upgrades is weird, because taking a "worse" car and proving it can be more is so intrinsically tied to car culture and competition in general.

I get wanting a level playing field for some settings, but overall, it's a shame having a game built around the phlosophy that a car can only be as good as it is driving out of the factory. I get that they're working toward the idea that it's about the driver, but from a game design perspective, having official fixed-spec events is such a simple solution to allow both scenarios (assuming you put the thought/effort into balancing the performance metric for "open" events). It would really open up the variety in the game.

bombshell

This idea of peeling away the ability to iterate and improve on a car through upgrades is weird, because taking a "worse" car and proving it can be more is so intrinsically tied to car culture and competition in general.

I get wanting a level playing field for some settings, but overall, it's a shame having a game built around the phlosophy that a car can only be as good as it is driving out of the factory. I get that they're working toward the idea that it's about the driver, but from a game design perspective, having official fixed-spec events is such a simple solution to allow both scenarios (assuming you put the thought/effort into balancing the performance metric for "open" events). It would really open up the variety in the game.

Has it been peeled away? Sure, for Sport mode races it has, but that's the entire point of that mode. For custom offline races and for regular online public/private lobbies, I'm fairly sure is where the BHP and weight reduction tuning showed in image form earlier in the thread is for.

Who came up with a BOP system based in leveling up? Gran Turismo has never been this detached from reality, and it´s weird if we´re talking about FIA homologated cars in a FIA licensed game.

There shouldn´t be any fantasy HP increase or decrease, just the restrictions that FIA imposes to balance the cars.

I had no idea they were doing this until seeing in some videos.

Niks

Who came up with a BOP system based in leveling up? Gran Turismo has never been this detached from reality, and it´s weird if we´re talking about FIA homologated cars in a FIA licensed game.

There shouldn´t be any fantasy HP increase or decrease, just the restrictions that FIA imposes to balance the cars.

I had no idea they were doing this until seeing in some videos.

The theory is you should be able to pick any car in the category and be able to win?
In the beta top laptimes are still dominated by only one type of car.

Also, there are plenty of "fantasy" cars in the categories.

AFAIK, this car doesnt race in real life?

gt-sport-subaru-gt-jpg.135959

What are restrictor plates?

This is game is the closest theyve come to real racing yet folks. We should be excited.

It´s because you don´t get a level up in real life gaining 50HP after running a few miles so that you have to use restrictor plates.

I was commenting on the magical increase and decrease of HP, not the use of restrictor plates, which is a common thing.

The theory is you should be able to pick any car in the category and be able to win?
In the beta top laptimes are still dominated by only one type of car.

Also, there are plenty of "fantasy" cars in the categories.

AFAIK, this car doesnt race in real life?

gt-sport-subaru-gt-jpg.135959

Not a surprise that one car still dominates.

As far as fantasy cars and duplicates, that´s horrible this time. I did a quick count, and out of the 135 cars already known, there are 74 unique models, and 20 of those are fantasy GT Vision models. I still have to count how many of the 54 remaining are just fantasy created duplicates, like the NSX, which has normal, Gr3, Gr4 and a rally version if i´m not mistaken.

Despite GT1 and GT3, this is the first time they are releasing having way less content than it´s competitors, in tracks, cars and variety. I don´t know what they did with the 400+ premium and future proof models they created during the PS3 era.

Apex

Despite GT1 and GT3, this is the first time they are releasing having way less content than it´s competitors, in tracks, cars and variety. I don´t know what they did with the 400+ premium and future proof models they created during the PS3 era.
Not the first time, remember GT5 Prologue wich ended with 76 cars and 6 tracks after all the updates, less in its launch date.

After all the criticisms and complaints with the standard cars in the last gen I'm not surprised that they discarded the idea of using recycled material from the last gen in this one. However they did not lie, their future proof models in the last gen are of the same quality or better than those that use most new games today. Being PD makes sense that they want to make a difference and raise the quality of the genre again with the new models.

Not the first time, remember GT5 Prologue wich ended with 76 cars and 6 tracks after all the updates, less in its launch date.

After all the criticisms and complaints with the standard cars in the last gen I'm not surprised that they discarded the idea of using recycled material from the last gen in this one. However they did not lie, their future proof models in the last gen are of the same quality or better than those that use most new games today. Being PD makes sense that they want to make a difference and raise the quality of the genre again with the new models.

Yeah, but that was a prologue, coming out just one year after the PS3 was out. It was a good way for us to get a taste of GT5 without having to wait so much. It was understandable. It only became sparse in content because prologue had to last for three full years.

This is different, this is a full game coming out four years after the PS4. If this content was out in 2014 it wouldn´t be this bad.

I have no idea why they ditched PS3 premiums for a 5-10% increase in quality, specially when the whole point of those premium models was to be future proof.

I´m probably being an ass about this game for some, but i genuinely don´t understand most of what´s happening. It´s almost as if they want this to be a complete fail, which in GT numbers would be 2.5-3 million in sales with few DLC traction.

Niks

I don´t know what they did with the 400+ premium and future proof models they created during the PS3 era.

I have no idea why they ditched PS3 premiums for a 5-10% increase in quality, specially when the whole point of those premium models was to be future proof.

Im with Seattle on this one. GT5/6 car models were more than fine.
I agree that materials, textures and shaders would have to be updated, but not the wireframe models? Am I wrong? Even then one would think Polyphony asset libraries would have to be 4k in res?

I´m probably being an ass about this game for some, but i genuinely don´t understand most of what´s happening. It´s almost as if they want this to be a complete fail, which in GT numbers would be 2.5-3 million in sales with few DLC traction.

The sheer number of PS4 sold almost guarantees that GT sport will sell well regardless.

Top Bottom