• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

JoeNut

GT-Sport-AstonMartin_one-77_2011_02.jpg

New wallpaper confirmed

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gran Turismo Sport - North America - All Cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcDL2pKXfSQ

yikes
Gran Turismo Sport - Europe cars so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBmlVXreiyo

Gran Turismo Sport - Asia cars so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qjszLeTBGk
Ve9Y3.gif

I know this is incomplete, but good god they're missing so many staples, and not really compensating them with nice quirky choices. It's like they looked at people making fun of there being 520534 skylines in early GTs and said "hey, how about we include 3 versions of every car to save time and resources?" Aside from the VGT stuff there are some fairly uninspired choices here, most of that being the motorsport focus, but even then there are glaring omissions or their choice of disciplines to focus on creates glaring omissions. Also heavy focus on new with few classics. This is looking really bad unless all the cars they have left to to announce are made before this millenium, that'd take it to mediocre. How could any fan of cars OR racing be satisfied with this? Thanks, FIA.

That Pikes Peak Quattro model tho hnnnghghhhhhh

Ve9Y3.gif

I know this is incomplete, but good god they're missing so many staples, and not really compensating them with nice quirky choices. It's like they looked at people making fun of there being 520534 skylines in early GTs and said "hey, how about we include 3 versions of every car to save time and resources?" Aside from the VGT stuff there are some fairly uninspired choices here, most of that being the motorsport focus, but even then there are glaring omissions or their choice of disciplines to focus on creates glaring omissions. Also heavy focus on new with few classics. This is looking really bad unless all the cars they have left to to announce are made before this millenium, that'd take it to mediocre. How could any fan of cars OR racing be satisfied with this? Thanks, FIA.

That Pikes Peak Quattro model tho hnnnghghhhhhh

I think their focus is on racing leagues/classes and cars specific to those needs first. We are likely to receive more cars as DLC.

Putty

Where's the custom race mode info? It's the only hope of saving this cutdown rejigged GT6 PS4 shitfest for me. It better have a shit load of options from the bog standard stuff to tweaking individual AI, it also needs save/shareable single races and championships free from PSplus.

Its so wierd. Ive been searching for GT6 on .PS4 but nothing comes up. Do you know something everyone else on the planet does not?

farisr

What's funny is, if they're doing this for PR sake, and do have a GT7 in the works, and want people to buy GT Sport instead of waiting for that GT7 title, this may not accomplish what they hope to accomplish. It may actually have a negative effect.

Like me, for instance, if they confirmed that a GT7 with a full campaign would be on the way later with enhanced features and what not, and this is a GT5 Prologue to GT5 situation in regards to release timeframe, I'd buy this game day 1. Just to show support because I think the experience a proper GT game provides is unmatched.

With the stance they've been taking since this E3 marketing went into place, I'm legitimately looking into Forza 7 right now and keeping an eye how that's turning out, despite not liking the way the cars handle and the presentation nearly as much as I do with GT.

Mobius 1

Let me see if I get this correctly?

GT6 was released in 2013, and the complaints where "why doesn't it do anything different? Its the same old GT", "why does it have antiquated car models?", "why is the multiplayer a little rubbish?".

Polyphony decides to scrap everything and build a new platform for the future of the franchise, a new rendering and physics engine, new and absurdly detailed car models, new tracks. A brand new and solid multiplayer structure - beta tested for months, no less - blessed by the FIA of all organizations. All in just over 3 years, for a relatively small studio.

If you like this series you should be ecstatic about the direction. It's running on a x86 platform - a much simpler platform to iterate for. Polyphony has an outstanding track record for DLC releases, it will come without a doubt. It looks spectacular. Drives just as well.

It may not be what you wanted, it certainly isn't traditional GT7 ( I like collecting my rally cars and Subarus just as the next person), but I believe Polyphony made the best possible choice to modernize and setup for the future.

Or maybe I'm too pragmatic eh?

GT6 was released in 2013, and the complaints where "why doesn't it do anything different? Its the same old GT", "why does it have antiquated car models?", "why is the multiplayer a little rubbish?".

Polyphony decides to scrap everything and build a new platform for the future of the franchise, a new rendering and physics engine, new and absurdly detailed car models, new tracks. A brand new and solid multiplayer structure - beta tested for months, no less - blessed by the FIA of all organizations. All in just over 3 years, for a relatively small studio.

If you like this series you should be ecstatic about the direction. It's running on a x86 platform - a much simpler platform to iterate for. Polyphony has an outstanding track record for DLC releases, it will come without a doubt. It looks spectacular. Drives just as well.

It may not be what you wanted, it certainly isn't traditional GT7 ( I like collecting my rally cars and Subarus just as the next person), but I believe Polyphony made the best possible choice to modernize and setup for the future.

People can't see all the good stuff because PD took away their precious Sunday Cup, pretty sad that people are like that and so against change, even though they complain about things when they don't change too. People will find a way to complain about anything these days.

Personally I can't wait to play GT Sport and I'm sure there will be plenty of people playing when it launches.

Loris146

You are just on gaf. I don't like the new direction? The game is trash then.

Makki

I truly welcome the new direction and really enjoyed earning cars randomly by racing in the beta, but the car list shown in the previews is a really odd and disappointing piece of news. I truly hope more cars make it for release.

Calabi

If the game is less than what they've been selling before then people are bound to be disappointed. Its not just whats missing though it will be interesting to see if they modernised the game, and realise it does have competitors.

Loris146

I truly welcome the new direction and really enjoyed earning cars randomly by racing in the beta, but the car list shown in the previews is a really odd and disappointing piece of news. I truly hope more cars make it for release.

I think there will be like 180 cars.

The bulk of the complaints I remember were that is was on PS3 and not on PS4.

IISANDERII

What's the source of your quotes?

farisr

Unless you can find actual examples of the same people calling the formula stale when gt6 came out and those same people now being all up in arms about this new direction gt sport is taking, stop with this stupid "but you wanted change and now that they're giving it to you you have a problem" crap.

It's okay if you like the new direction, but stop making up shit to somehow try to prove that anyone who doesn't like it is in the wrong.

onanie

Unless you can find actual examples of the same people calling the formula stale when gt6 came out and those same people now being all up in arms about this new direction gt sport is taking, stop with this stupid "but you wanted change and now that they're giving it to you you have a problem" crap.

It's okay if you like the new direction, but stop making up shit to somehow try to prove that anyone who doesn't like it is in the wrong.

It doesn't have to be the same people if his sentiment is that you can't please everybody. Whatever new direction, there is always going to be someone who is upset. Like yourself.

Why should I be ecstatic if it's not what I wanted? I didn't complain about GT6 being the same old thing, I complained about it having a shitty framerate and being on the PS3 instead of the PS4. I thought GT6 was a great game outside of those things.

GT Sport couldn't be further from what I like in a racing game. A heavy emphasis on online, drastically pared back car and track counts, and the singleplayer campaign replaced with Licence Tests and challenges. I don't like to play multiplayer games. I've bought every mainline GT until now and never played one online; it's just not what I'm into. And telling me I might have the opportunity to bring Sport's content up to par with the rest of the series buy buying DLC on top of the $60 price tag in the future? Not especially comforting.

benzy

Where's the custom race mode info? It's the only hope of saving this cutdown rejigged GT6 PS4 shitfest for me. It better have a shit load of options from the bog standard stuff to tweaking individual AI, it also needs save/shareable single races and championships free from PSplus.

The custom race and timing for dlc cars and tracks is what I'm holding on too. Might as well bother Kaz on twitter about needing more road cars and less Gr3/4 variants for dlc. I didn't even ever play the online races in the beta. Kaz made a forum post saying he was surprised everyone flocked to arcade mode and they didn't have enough people to properly test the servers. Lmao

IKizzLE

My complaints were:

1. Consistency in the presentation/graphics/framerate.
2. Car selection not covering modern staples or classics and too many duplicates
3. Lack of accurate sounds
4. Lack of any good collision tech or damage
5. Lack of in depth race disciplines such as Drag, Drift, Touge, Rally, etc
6. Lack of robust online features, ranking systems and penalty
7. Lack of dynamic weather conditions

Now, less than half of my complaints are even being addressed, 4 years later, when most of these should of been addressed a decade ago. People have LEGIT gripes with the series, especially when it takes so long for these games to come out and the competition innovating at a quicker pace.

I knew there would be less road cars because from the very beginning when this game was announced all they kept showing were the race cars. I can't believe Cars like the P1, Aventador, Huayra etc.. are missing in GTS. Anyways, I'm also waiting to see what they do with the dlc. If they add more race cars and less road cars, I don't think I'll play this game for that long.

If you like this series you should be ecstatic about the direction.
I LOVE GT series and if I want to make a list of my favorite game series, GT will be in top 3. But career mode was one of the reasons that made me a GT fan. (alongside great collection of old and new cars, nice tracks, amazing gamplay and graphics)
From GT3 to GT6, didn't play multiplayer (online or offline) more than 3,4 hours! Why should I be happy with this new direction?

Is this classified as full-priced game? If it doesn't have the content we expect, why should we pay full price, and has anyone thought about how the game will review?

onanie

Is this classified as full-priced game? If it doesn't have the content we expect, why should we pay full price, and has anyone thought about how the game will review?

Indeed, this game should only appeal to those who value its obvious multiplayer focus, and will be misinterpreted by anyone else.

GenericUser

Nobody knows how much content the game will have at launch and how it's going to be supported by PD.

I probably will be there on day one, never been a huge fan of the gt campaigns. Most of the time you did that one event/race that gave you a shitton of money and just upgraded your car and bought new cars only for shits and giggles. Also most races where over after 200m as your totally overpowered car left your rivals in the dust. It's cool, but in long run, boring.

If they nail the online component and really bring a good racing experience to all levels of skill, that would be huge for me.

They aren't a small studio though. They're 200 strong and that's the core staff.

It has only been that way for the last few years and if they don't outsources much that is small for something like GT .
Them being so small is most likely the reason why the game so low on content.

inner-G

Banned
What's funny is, if they're doing this for PR sake, and do have a GT7 in the works, and want people to buy GT Sport instead of waiting for that GT7 title, this may not accomplish what they hope to accomplish. It may actually have a negative effect.

Like me, for instance, if they confirmed that a GT7 with a full campaign would be on the way later with enhanced features and what not, and this is a GT5 Prologue to GT5 situation in regards to release timeframe, I'd buy this game day 1. Just to show support because I think the experience a proper GT game provides is unmatched.

With the stance they've been taking since this E3 marketing went into place, I'm legitimately looking into Forza 7 right now and keeping an eye how that's turning out, despite not liking the way the cars handle and the presentation nearly as much as I do with GT.
Agreed.

I'd have no problem buying a spin-off GT to put my Pro through its paces, but I don't really want to support them if it's the direction the series is going and this essentially is GT7.

Putty

Google Translate -

Tokyo, July 25, Polyphony Digital invites us to a tour of their offices where we can see how they work, how they enjoy their free time, and try out the final version of the game. But one of the most interesting parts was interviewing the teacher, Kazunori Yamauchi, creator of the best-selling and award-winning driving saga in history, Gran Turismo.

Among several questions aimed at the way you work and watch video games, and your professional life as a pilot, we take the opportunity to ask you something that users have asked a lot about the game: has the sound of wheels and motors changed at last?

The answer is a resounding yes, it has improved in a way that is hard to believe. Yamauchi was very excited about the new audio processing system. According to his words, in the previous installments, the audio of the real models in studio was recorded, and they were taken to the game, with more or less fidelity, but that has historically supposed a ballast because in the sound that we perceive in a car there is a Physical sensation that you can not put into a recording.

That's why the new audio system goes through three parts:

In the first part, they record the audios of the cars in the best possible conditions, with several microphones, which is basically the same as has been done so far. Phases two and three are involved here.

In the second phase, we wonder why the audio we recorded sounds so different from the one we heard with our ears in a real car. The answer is because our brain only listens to what it wants to hear, eliminating automatically different frequencies and sounds. To achieve this effect in the game, this audio is captured, filtered with a special Sony equipment that recognizes what is undesirable noise and the sound itself, the tones are better marked and modulated to make it look as good as possible To the real. But there is still no such physical sensation of sound.

That's why in stage three the rest of the sound is recorded while the car is running while driving, eliminating engine noise and adding the resulting sounds to the phase two motor. Then another program developed by Polyphony is used to simulate the moments in which those sounds should be heard.

Thus we have the sound with the crunching of the gearshift, the explosions of the exhaust, the vibration of the tires on the asphalt or the chassis, the noise of the air hitting against our car, etc ... leaving a spectacular result in which everything Sounds real. The tires when they lose grip now also sound much more real and not with that chirp so characteristic and hated of the saga until now.

This delivery includes a new track on the Tokyo Honda Highway never seen before which we had occasion to travel in real life, in bus that yes, but it is incredible the fidelity achieved even in the sound, since in some sections it has some sound tracks Very characteristics that are shaped in the game to perfection, with a deaf and deep blow when we pass over them.

n the blows against other cars has also improved a lot compared to the beta we could test a couple of months ago, now the body crunches, the metallic sound is more pronounced and real. Those who have tested the closed beta, you know that the sound has improved a lot to the previous releases, but what you will find in the final game goes a step further.

We can not assure right now that it is the game with the most spectacular sound, because games like Forza or Project Cars have set the bar very high, but of course it is the most faithful with the reality within the saga and will satisfy all those Who criticized this aspect of the game.

Fredrik

People can't see all the good stuff because PD took away their precious Sunday Cup, pretty sad that people are like that and so against change, even though they complain about things when they don't change too.
So you think it's the same people who complained about the previous GT's career mode that are now complaining that there is no career mode?

That's obviously not the case. Those who loved GT are likely those who complains now, because they're the ones getting screwed here, if I can word it that way.

Personally I'm just surprised about the whole thing. Millions of people love GT, it has sold better than most other racers since the very start, the driving has always been great but for many it's the upgrading, career mode and car collecting that has defined GT. And I just feel like PD has changed the wrong things here, which the reactions clearly shows. So if they don't know why people has loved the serie for 20 year then maybe next time they could try to add new things and improve things already there instead of removing things.

And just take a few seconds and think about what we're debating here. I for one honestly don't understand the defense force here. I would NEVER defend the removal of online just because I don't play online. That would be dumb and just plain mean. So why are those who love online gaming defending the removal of the single player career mode? Don't we want more people to play and enjoy the game?

So you think it's the same people who complained about the previous GT's career mode that are now complaining that there is no career mode?

That's obviously not the case. Those who loved GT are likely those who complains now, because they're the ones getting screwed here, if I can word it that way.

Personally I'm just surprised about the whole thing. Millions of people love GT, it has sold better than most other racers since the very start, the driving has always been great but for many it's the upgrading, career mode and car collecting that has defined GT. And I just feel like PD has changed the wrong things here, which the reactions clearly shows. So if they don't know why people has loved the serie for 20 year then maybe next time they could try to add new things and improve things already there instead of removing things.

And just take a few seconds and think about what we're debating here. I for one honestly don't understand the defense force here. I would NEVER defend the removal of online just because I don't play online. That would be dumb and just plain mean. So why are those who love online gaming defending the removal of the single player career mode? Don't we want more people to play and enjoy the game?

I enjoyed that stuff too in the older games but I'm also not against change. I actually like the fact they are taking a risk and trying something different. Now of course it's not guaranteed to pay off but every other aspect of the game is looking extremely polished now, so I have a feeling it will still be a great GT game, just for different reasons than the old GT games.

People should give it a try before writing it off before playing, just because it's different.

Fredrik

I enjoyed that stuff too in the older games but I'm also not against change. I actually like the fact they are taking a risk and trying something different. Now of course it's not guaranteed to pay off but every other aspect of the game is looking extremely polished now, so I have a feeling it will still be a great GT game, just for different reasons than the old GT games.

People should give it a try before writing it off before playing, just because it's different.
The fact that everything that's there is super-polished only makes it worse for me, because the potential is better than ever and I know I'll only get to taste a small fraction of what's there this time since I'm only offline.

But yeah I'll be there day 1 just like most of us here, I'm just not as hyped as I used to be. I'm sure it'll sell in millions as usual because it's GT and because there is nothing else there. I still have hope for single player career DLC though. I'm sure they're listening.

The fact that everything that's there is super-polished only makes it worse for me, because the potential is better than ever and I know I'll only get to taste a small fraction of what's there this time since I'm only offline.

But yeah I'll be there day 1 just like most of us here, I'm just not as hyped as I used to be. I'm sure it'll sell in millions as usual because it's GT and because there is nothing else there. I still have hope for single player career DLC though. I'm sure they're listening.

If it proves a success then I'm sure there will be plenty of things added with DLC, mainly cars and tracks but there's always a chance some more single player content will make it in too.

xrnzaaas

VR mode looks cool, it just sucks it's limited to 1 on 1 races and probably not on all tracks (Nordschleife 1 on 1?). PSVR2 for PS5 should be in a much more comfortable position. :)

KORNdoggy

PS Access 1 on 1 racing with PS VR (rally stage), ha, that race ending!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmfYMmt1JbI

From a very much non-VR guy, it looks impressive, wasn't aware VR was a stand alone mode though, must have missed that.

as stripped back as VR is, it's one of the primary reasons i'm buying the game. because it hasn't had as many visual cutbacks as say, driveclub, its apparently an awesome experience, even if you're only racing 1 car.

danowat

Banned
as stripped back as VR is, it's one of the primary reasons i'm buying the game. because it hasn't had as many visual cutbacks as say, driveclub, its apparently an awesome experience, even if you're only racing 1 car.

Yeah, it looks really good, and if you've already got a PSVR, it's a no brainer, not sure if it's a system seller addition though, if it was more supported in the game I'd be tempted, but I am fairly VR skeptic.

KORNdoggy

Yeah, it looks really good, and if you've already got a PSVR, it's a no brainer, not sure if it's a system seller addition though, if it was more supported in the game I'd be tempted, but I am fairly VR skeptic.

i love PSVR. it's a game changer imo. but no, GT sport isn't the game to sell it. as you say, it could have if it was fully featured. but then i think it would have had too many visual sacrifices to achieve that. i think DiRT Rally has been the best in regards to racing. increases immersion tenfold and manages to look nice due to rally being an inherently "minimal" sport. it's just your one car and the road.

So

i think some of us are just willing to give the changes a chance and tired of the constant negativity, it's the bulk of GAF threads tbh.

I'm ok with 180-200 (whatever the final count will be) and the older campaign being replaced with online races against people. It's something different. If I hate it, I'll just trade it in and be done with it. Lol

A_Dang

i think some of us are just willing to give the changes a chance and tired of the constant negativity

The issue I have is that the changes they made are removing the aspect of the game I enjoyed the most. In a previous post I mentioned that I never cared about actually getting better at racing, or racing against other real, human, opponents. All I've every really cared for in my Gran Turismo experience is grinding out races, amassing a unreasonably large collection of cars and slowly testing and upgrading cars for fun. The shift to being an on-line multiplayer racing game supplemented by player defined solo races (which may or may not generate currency, I've not seen that question asked or answered), and training events does not appeal to me. On-line racing, an arcade mode and license tests have existed in GT in the past, and did not appeal to me then, so it's really not unreasonable or surprising for me to be disappointed in an entire game being focused on those aspects.

We are not just talking about "changes" we are talking about not having a core component that has existed in every main-line GT since the beginning. While Sport may not truthfully be a "main-line" Gran Turismo the PR certainly has me fooled with all this talk about how GT7 is not on the horizon and how GTS is a like a reboot and new beginning for the franchise.

Top Bottom