• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Boat 2 [Mafia] |OT| Electric Boogalove

Ty4on

I wondered why you only answered the first half of my post which focused more or less on semantics. The second half is about being absent although your reads demanded something else, which imo is a stronger argument. You answered that in your last post. Although i still don't know why you split it up.

I was absent because we had visitors and I checked my phone for a few minutes at a time. I think those last ten minutes were split into two.

I should have pushed my own vote more, but I had already posted my case and only Crimson jumped on it. Posts like this makes it seem like people disagreed.

Ty4on

He must be worried about the minimum post requirement rule.

lol

The 60 second limit tho is sooooooooooooooooooooooo bad tho holy shit

I have PSTD from seeing a last minute tie with the limit preventing me from reacting.
It's especially bad because you get a tie and then you get a retie from people trying to fix it and now they can't fix their tie.

Sorian

Banned
Dragonz probably the most town read for me right now.

Which side of the fence are you on in terms of Verelios. He's seemed to be one where people split pretty evenly between a town read and a scum read. Also, why do I feel its like pulling teeth getting you to talk?

I mean apart from the mountains of solid, objective evidence we have, yes

I thought you said you were going to play more or be better day 2 or something like that.

Natiko

Banned
It was kinda obvious what you wanted from the question.

I kinda get it; scum likes to keep their hands clear. It just feels very shallow though. You don't seem to be trying to understand what I mean by easy and the assumption that I would distance myself from potential town lynch is just weird.

I kinda don't wanna wrote this because it feels pretentious AF, but I've seen a lot of Gafia lynches. Easy D1 lynch is something that happens a lot. A player for whatever reason stands out a lot and is lynched. It's not super AI, but scum's number one goal is to not stand out too much (especially in Gafia meta) so when we have easy scum lynches it stands out to me. Name escapes me, but Night Vale had one D3 I think (I fought this lynch, but new and not very active).

The most important thing to me tho is an easy lynch sucks balls.
"Why did you vote for easy Kark?"
"Because his list made no sense and he was anti town by staying inactive"
We learn very little from voters because they have a really cheap excuse and it's the reason a lot of townies voted too so it's not AI.

That's what I mean by easy. What I want voters of an easy lynch to do is reconsider why they're voting the way they are. I default to townreading people going against the flow, but easy lynches have been scum and I've learned to reconsider them too.

Notes:
I bolded that part to show what I was responding to.
I'm not sure why you consider it AI? By that I mean standing on the sidelines and keeping hands clean. You don't play like that as scum from what I remember. Town lynches town so there's no reason not to lynch them as scum.
I don't find the fact that you bolded it alignment indicative. Was more just pointing out that you were emphasizing that you felt the Kark lynch was easy.

As for your responses, I still don't feel like you've given a good explanation as to why you would call attention to the Kark lynch being an easy one to both justify and to create a train on as if it's a negative when you also admit it doesn't mean the person in question is or isn't scum. It feels like throwing shade on a potential lynch for the sake of it as opposed to having a valid reason which isn't something I would expect from a town player. You weren't openly putting support out for Kark either as if he was a top town read. I'm just struggling to see why town Ty makes those posts and what purpose they were meant to serve.

As for the argument that my point is shallow, I think that's entirely subjective. Sure, I didn't play that way as scum but that doesn't mean you wouldn't or even that I wouldn't in the future either. There's no one size fits all for being scum. All I know is looking at those posts it's hard for me to wrap my head around what the goal was there if you're town.

Ty4on

I don't find the fact that you bolded it alignment indicative. Was more just pointing out that you were emphasizing that you felt the Kark lynch was easy.

As for your responses, I still don't feel like you've given a good explanation as to why you would call attention to the Kark lynch being an easy one to both justify and to create a train on as if it's a negative when you also admit it doesn't mean the person in question is or isn't scum. It feels like throwing shade on a potential lynch for the sake of it as opposed to having a valid reason which isn't something I would expect from a town player. You weren't openly putting support out for Kark either as if he was a top town read. I'm just struggling to see why town Ty makes those posts and what purpose they were meant to serve.

As for the argument that my point is shallow, I think that's entirely subjective. Sure, I didn't play that way as scum but that doesn't mean you wouldn't or even that I wouldn't in the future either. There's no one size fits all for being scum. All I know is looking at those posts it's hard for me to wrap my head around what the goal was there if you're town.

Describe to me why scum Ty4on makes that post.

Natiko

Banned
Describe to me why scum Ty4on makes that post.
I believe I already have. As scum you would know more or less the alignment results of a lynch prior to it happening. Due to this you take the chance to frown upon the lynch candidates at the time all while not bothering to present any real reasoning not to lynch them and in fact going so far as to say you didn't feel sure on their alignment anyways. Scum Ty would have effectively distanced himself from the lynch while also maintaining the appearance of not knowing everyone's alignment. If your argument back is just that it's not a very strong scum play then that could be true, but it doesn't seem to be any kind of town play.

Karkador

Banned
Also more of your 'gambit'; why did you do it? what were you trying to gain from it? you haven't even discussed it yet today despite posting a couple times, why not?

Again, I just wanted to give the other people in the room their space, see what gets said, without causing a D1 fiasco. Try not to congratulate me too hard for giving patience a chance.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but it's kinda pointless to follow up with it now - mainly because if the goal of any gambit is trying to trip people and knock scum off balance, the trap is now easily visible. So, I have to move on.

As for the question, "did we gain anything from it?" - we have some kind of day end voting pattern to look at, and it's mostly as a reaction to whatever I did. What is odd is how few people voted.

If there is truth to the chat silence, it's most likely a scum or neutral power. It doesn't make much sense for town to have a "power" like that unless there's some sort of other condition attached to it. Thus the fact that they got hit by it would imply they're town or neutral. I have no interest in speculating on what Burb may or may not have included tho. For now, the power is unconfirmed.

I agree that spending too much time on this today is a waste, but just to respond to the talk about it - I think about PRs a lot in terms of negative utility and a balancing mechanism.

NeutralSilencer would be a repeat of LB1, so this seems the least likely.

ScumSilencer is a possibility, but I am considering two possibilities:
1) If we compare a mafia Silencer power to other, typical mafia powers (Strongman, Godfather, etc., ), it seems kinda weak? I know Love Boat is all about the chats for me, but apparently not everybody uses them, so it seems like a wash. I guess the likelihood would depend on how strong the Town PRs are - something we're not gonna be able to assess until the end. Pointless rabbithole.

2) The power almost seems slightly bastard in mafia's hands, because they would know who they're targeting with it, and it then becomes all about griefing the town players. This is especially harsh for Ordinary Town people.

TownSilencer is what makes more sense to me, because you still get that blind luck of the draw as you would a Vig.

A town aligned chat silencer could easily just as hit town as much as it could scum, so I don't think the power is town-aligned. Which makes this post...

.. stand out as mildly curious because it almost sounds like Kark thinks it's a town-aligned power?

I did assume that at the time, mainly out of caution for fully outing a PR. I had to make this decision in a snap, too, because I had no idea how Xbro was gonna react, or if he recognized the importance of being vague about it for now. It clearly did not work out.

Anyway, let's shelf this topic until something else comes up with it.

Xbro is making me read that boat as town btw

I don't wanna go too far, I've been fooled by newbies before, but he feels pure

I've lost interest in thinking Kark is scum and think this is just mind bending lazy town play at this point (plus Xbro seems too pure and I think scum was using him as an easy wagon before Orb got pushed yesterday) but you really have been known to take a step back for like 72 hours or a game just to watch?

That's odd

Sorian

Banned
I've been contributing, I thought. Doesn't mean I can't have a shitpost here and there though.

And I've been at work and driving today. I'll get home soon

I still think KK is carrying you.

Again, I just wanted to give the other people in the room their space, see what gets said, without causing a D1 fiasco. Try not to congratulate me too hard for giving patience a chance.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but it's kinda pointless to follow up with it now - mainly because if the goal of any gambit is trying to trip people and knock scum off balance, the trap is now easily visible. So, I have to move on.

As for the question, "did we gain anything from it?" - we have some kind of day end voting pattern to look at, and it's mostly as a reaction to whatever I did. What is odd is how few people voted.

I agree that spending too much time on this today is a waste, but just to respond to the talk about it - I think about PRs a lot in terms of negative utility and a balancing mechanism.

NeutralSilencer would be a repeat of LB1, so this seems the least likely.

ScumSilencer is a possibility, but I am considering two possibilities:
1) If we compare a mafia Silencer power to other, typical mafia powers (Strongman, Godfather, etc., ), it seems kinda weak? I know Love Boat is all about the chats for me, but apparently not everybody uses them, so it seems like a wash. I guess the likelihood would depend on how strong the Town PRs are - something we're not gonna be able to assess until the end. Pointless rabbithole.

2) The power almost seems slightly bastard in mafia's hands, because they would know who they're targeting with it, and it then becomes all about griefing the town players. This is especially harsh for Ordinary Town people.

TownSilencer is what makes more sense to me, because you still get that blind luck of the draw as you would a Vig.

I did assume that at the time, mainly out of caution for fully outing a PR. I had to make this decision in a snap, too, because I had no idea how Xbro was gonna react, or if he recognized the importance of being vague about it for now. It clearly did not work out.

Anyway, let's shelf this topic until something else comes up with it.

That's odd

I can't crop easily on mobile so I quoted all this for just the "that's odd" at the end. We already talked about this. Ty and I have also both played on the same third party site that uses that wording fairly often and I am also well aware that I was copying someone when I said that because the description was the most concise way to say my thoughts as well.

Ty4on

I believe I already have. As scum you would know more or less the alignment results of a lynch prior to it happening. Due to this you take the chance to frown upon the lynch candidates at the time all while not bothering to present any real reasoning not to lynch them and in fact going so far as to say you didn't feel sure on their alignment anyways. Scum Ty would have effectively distanced himself from the lynch while also maintaining the appearance of not knowing everyone's alignment. If your argument back is just that it's not a very strong scum play then that could be true, but it doesn't seem to be any kind of town play.
Reply received

First impressions not great, but I'll chew on it. It's a bit too clean and simple.
Strong scum play or not I made a lot of mistakes back as scum. It's just a bit pointless unless I have a big urge to distance myself from lynches or something.
That's odd

I know :p

We use it a lot in scum chatPure is a pretty common term on MU so I can see him not copying me. Xbro is a pretty good example of someone being pure.

I have now read Sorian's stuff, but I wrote that before writing it

Xbro

I didn't know if I was supposed to mention it at all, so I just kept silent about it. I figured the cat was out of the bag when you opened the day saying we were hit.

Karkador

Banned
I'm here eating a sandwich and making a post, if anyone wants to ask me a question feel about something interesting feel free.

Yesterday, you and Ouro were a major candidate for lynch. By my count, most of the people who initially voted on you, but switched, ended up switching to the Orb vote.

Thoughts?

Sophia

Yesterday, you and Ouro were a major candidate for lynch. By my count, most of the people who initially voted on you, but switched, ended up switching to the Orb vote.

Thoughts?

Only two people switched from Ouro/Kitty to Orb tho. One of whom was Dragonz who started the vote on Orb, the other was Dr. Worm. That's not really a lot of people...?

Trigger

I've been through that hole in the guise of reading nicknames, misspellings and misgendering ._.

I've been thrown in a volcano and the Nightmare Zone for less.

I'm here eating a sandwich and making a post, if anyone wants to ask me a question feel about something interesting feel free.

Maybe it'll be in the aforementioned post you're making, but is there anyone you think town should scrutinize more?

Also what kind of sandwich?

Sawneeks

Banned
Saw: post 1083

Eeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh

First question is newbie enough that it gets a pass for me but the other two don't do a whole lot. The 3rd one maybe a little more just because it's pure sheeping a veteran's opinion but that's it since it brought unneeded attention to themselves.

My return question is why do you think a Scum!Muffin/Sam would post these two posts? They're what is giving me Townie vibes on them and I just don't see a Scum Team writing off on making those posts.

Herro Herro. Checking In.

I read half of thread so far and there is some interesting stuff. I mainly found it weird that once people think of someone's behavior as a weird one, they go all defensive and use argument "in previous game i was like blah blah blah." I think i won't be caring on how you played previous games and will try to look at things from fresh perspective.

Will post more.

Thoughts on everything would be great plz

I don't get how this was supposed to do that but??

Okay, I'll humor you. You set this trap trying to trip Scum up and get them to show their hand to you, if that's the case then where do you believe the Scum Team is right now? You say that there is something to be looked at in the Day End voting pattern ( specifically those who didn't vote ) but considering none of us know your alignment, that means only you are the only one who can draw those conclusions right now since you know what the other side of the train was. Instead you have been talking about your chat being silenced and some small questions here or there, not the 'gambit payout' I would have expected from you.

Hey now, Sawneeks already putting me I shame.

ouro is just jealous 😘

Ty4on

Enough to put them as a Town Lean. I just don't see Scum ( and newbie scum at that ) drawing attention to themselves over an ignored post.

So a possibility scum could have done it either deliberately or just by not playing the way you expect them to as scum?
It doesn't sound like something that would turn a scum read around unless it was weak.

Sophia

Eeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh

First question is newbie enough that it gets a pass for me but the other two don't do a whole lot. The 3rd one maybe a little more just because it's pure sheeping a veteran's opinion but that's it since it brought unneeded attention to themselves.

My return question is why do you think a Scum!Muffin/Sam would post these two posts? They're what is giving me Townie vibes on them and I just don't see a Scum Team writing off on making those posts.

My immediate thought is that I can't see newbie scum making these posts, but I could see slightly more experienced scum making that play to appear townie. So... Hm...

Ty4on

Sophia please explain your non vote?

I kinda like that Nomadic is at the same page as Natiko. Makes it look like there had been discussions about Sophia not voting in their thread. Nomiadic could just be sheeping his teammate, but he posted that before Natiko's stuff. This issue really seems to bother Nat so it doesn't look like he's just following his teammate either.
Right now I'm thinking we shouldn't say what it is, because it's perhaps better to keep it a secret for their next target - and hope they hit scum.

So, to whoever it was, I think I get why you did it, but don't out yourself.

We got hit with a silencing shot. So we can't really communicate throughout Day 2.

I didn't really know if it was proper etiquette to bring it up out of the blue, and I couldn't really ask Kark how to broach the subject.

Case in point.

Not really a read per se as I still town read them, but the way Xbro responded in that last post makes me wary of giving him too much benefit of the doubt. He's comfortable and seems competent as scum.
Because putting down a vote prematurely when I'm not there for the day end and/or would have difficulty in moving (due to being on mobile) it could have caused a problem.

Let's say you were able to make a vote.
Where did you want to put the vote? Let's say this was some hours before the lynch where it wasn't clear who was going to be in the lead apart from maybe Kark and Ouro.
Who would you have voted for just as Worthy and Orb started gaining votes assuming you didn't have a vote on either?
I told kits already for me, but I found out I was fired last day phase and made the choice to go drinking instead of keep up with the thread. I'm over it so go ahead and throw shade this way if missing day end is nagging anyone.
Missed this the first time. I'm sorry :(
Not being there for day end is fine considering your time zone. 大丈夫

Sophia

Let's say you were able to make a vote.
Where did you want to put the vote? Let's say this was some hours before the lynch where it wasn't clear who was going to be in the lead apart from maybe Kark and Ouro.
Who would you have voted for just as Worthy and Orb started gaining votes assuming you didn't have a vote on either?

It's hard to answer this question definitely. I probably would have voted with my partner on Fat/Kitsune, which is where I was leaning at first, but I can't say that for sure. My notes in the love boat have Orb/TWE in the "scum leaning" side, partially because not a lot of strong stances + TWE's lol read of his own partner.

Ty4on

It's hard to answer this question definitely. I probably would have voted with my partner on Fat/Kitsune, which is where I was leaning at first, but I can't say that for sure. My notes in the love boat have Orb/TWE in the "scum leaning" side, partially because not a lot of strong stances + TWE's lol read of his own partner.

So I take it you could see yourself voting Worthy, especially if it meant not lynching Kark? I don't remember what your Kark read is again.

Sophia

So I take it you could see yourself voting Worthy, especially if it meant not lynching Kark? I don't remember what your Kark read is again.

Yeah, I could see it. I didn't really have much of a read on Kark at the time, although his "look" at the post count numbers was pure silly, when he didn't draw any real conclusions from it himself IIRC.

kingkitty

Thoughts?

We were for some moments of Day 1 a popular lynch target, but towards the end of the Day, it seemed like the Kark pair was gaining steam as the lynch target. But then in 20 or so mins, Orb/TWE came out to 'win' as the alternative, thrown gracefully into hot lava.

It seems like of the 5 out of 7 who voted for us but then switched later, 3 were the ones who ended up voting for Orb.

WhereAreMahDragonz voted for us early in the game, and initially seemed much so like a non-serious vote. Her very next vote (a whiles later) was being the first active vote for Orb, and seemed much more serious and substantial in nature. (Sorian was the first vote overall but switched off to go after Kark)

Sorian also voted early for us, but the vote seemed more like a minor poke. Although he would later give justification keeping onto the vote for a bit longer until he switched his vote to kitsunelaine.

Dr. Worm voted for us based on I assume the "side-eye" comment and the conversation that followed. Dr. Worm's very next vote is a vote on Orb, about 24 mins before Day 1 ended.

To look at the timeline of active votes on Orb (this only includes the three and my pair):

WhereAreMahDragonz voted 2 days before Day Phase ended.
Dr. Worm voted 24 mins before Day Phase ended.
kingkitty (me) voted 20 mins before Day Phase ended.
Sorian voted 11 mins before Day Phase ended.
Ouro (my partner) voted 3 mins before Day Phase ended because of tie concerns.

So I guess I could say:
I don't see anything eyebrow raising yet, maybe it'll become something more worthwhile in Days to come but at the moment I can't really say anything definite. If me and Ouro flip scum then I guess it's something worth looking over in mylo. I feel like the more obvious discussion would be if Kark was scum, then obviously you have a handful of people (not just including the three who initially voted for my pair, and ourselves as well) to give a stronger look at.

Looking at next question.

kingkitty

I've been thrown in a volcano and the Nightmare Zone for less.

Maybe it'll be in the aforementioned post you're making, but is there anyone you think town should scrutinize more?

Also what kind of sandwich?

I think everyone should be scrutinized in beautiful, huge read lists by every single person here before Day 2 ends. If I have to pick a person right now just to give a nudge I'd say StarSketch, unless I'm wrong here pretty sure she hasn't yet checked into Day 2.

My sandwich was tuna.

franconp

So I guess I could say:
I don't see anything eyebrow raising yet, maybe it'll become something more worthwhile in Days to come but at the moment I can't really say anything definite. If me and Ouro flip scum then I guess it's something worth looking over in mylo. I feel like the more obvious discussion would be if Kark was scum, then obviously you have a handful of people (not just including the three who initially voted for my pair, and ourselves as well) to give a stronger look at.

Looking at next question.

Why mylo?

kingkitty

Here's a few updated reads using the order of the Burb listing, done in less wall of text heavy form. I'm gonna nap forever so I'll try to have all my updated reads by tomorrow.

Earlier reads

1. [m] Muffin1611 & [f] Samuraischnecke

Old Rank: Null
New Rank: Don't Throw into Volcano to Null

I think at the moment this pair has been stepping up their game a little bit more. It makes my bellygut feel very decent. Although my feelings could change a little bit if Kark flipped scum. Muffin switching the vote momentarily off Kark to go to Darryl with 7 mins left in the day was very helpful to Kark in that short window. Although Muffin did switch back a min or two before Day's end. If Kark flipped scum. I'd probably slightly raise 2 to 3 of my eyebrows.

3. [m] Fat4all/Sawneeks & [m] Sorian

Old Rank: Null
New Rank: Null

Long live Fat4all. Sawneeks so far seems very active out of the gate. Most eye opening is size of some of the reads, which I think is accepted fact that the bigger the read, the more townie. Some top people have said this. Sorian gives me migranes but as I've said this about 20 times already, but if Darryl is scum, I'd feel a bit better of this pair.
A little discussion popped up about Ty4on and then Sorian using the same word "pure" to describe Xbro. Two scumbros who discussed in their scummy chat about the gameplan, accidentally using the same keywords to push an argument? Maybe scum Ty4on realized this and tried to save face by first pointing it out himself. The defense is this term has been used in other maf circles which and coincidentally showed up here. I dunno, doesn't feel mildly worrying unless one of those two pairs flip scum.

4. [m] CrimsonFist & [f] Sophia

Old Rank: Null to Slight Suspicious
New Rank: Null to Slight Suspicious

The thing that catches my eye while furiously skimming is the Sophia argument with Natiko during Day 2. I don't think a scumSophia would collude with a scumNatiko saying the personal things that she described. I just don't think scum would try to go there. Therefore, I don't believe CrimsonPhia pair are on the same scum team as Natiko's duo. If either flip scum, then I'd probably feel better about the other pair.

Sawneeks

Banned
So a possibility scum could have done it either deliberately or just by not playing the way you expect them to as scum?
It doesn't sound like something that would turn a scum read around unless it was weak.

I'm not saying it's impossible for them to be Scum, I'm saying that post feels genuine and I have a hard time believing a Scum player made that post. It's possible that was planned in order to gain them Townie points but I'm not seeing these 'hard scum tells' that some people have.
Also they were never a Scum Read for me, at most they were a Null until that sequence of events where it turned into a Town Lean and nothing has really made it shift dramatically since then. That's why I asked Ouro what his evidence was because they never struck me as scummy during my read of Day 1 so I was curious as to where he got that.

My immediate thought is that I can't see newbie scum making these posts, but I could see slightly more experienced scum making that play to appear townie. So... Hm...

I won't throw out the possibility that they were coached into doing that by a Scum Team but nothing they have done has set off my alarm bells yet.

Darryl

Banned
Kark, sorry if you explained this and i missed it. I'm on mobile. But... what was with your vote at end of d1? You're at the end of the night edging for number one and you throw your vote somewhere that doesn't matter at all. Why?

Darryl, similar question. I'll read through again when i have the tablet, but why put your vote on us at that time?

Especially after you spent the whole day arguing with Sorian and then post:

You know we aren't lynching Sorian so you want to put your vote somewhere useful... vote Kark... but then jump onto kits 30 minutes before day end, stick around for day end, but never change off. Seems like you just wanted to stay off kark but didn't want to be on the orb train.

Vote: Karkador

You weren't here at the end of day #1, were you? I checked and didn't see you post. It might not look like it in retrospect, but at the time I felt like we could have split the lynch into two candidates. You/kit vs. Orb. At one time, you guys had 3 votes on you until Crimson moved to hit Orb. I felt like it would have given us something to look at so I wanted a last minute thunderdome. I didn't care which team got lynched because I had a solid null on either of you. I wanted people to have to choose sides so we had it for the record. The lynch leading up to Kark felt extremely half-spirited, so I didn't really see them as a candidate for a solid end of day thunderdome.

franconp

You weren't here at the end of day #1, were you? I checked and didn't see you post. It might not look like it in retrospect, but at the time I felt like we could have split the lynch into two candidates. You/kit vs. Orb. At one time, you guys had 3 votes on you until Crimson moved to hit Orb. I felt like it would have given us something to look at so I wanted a last minute thunderdome. I didn't care which team got lynched because I had a solid null on either of you. I wanted people to have to choose sides so we had it for the record. The lynch leading up to Kark felt extremely half-spirited, so I didn't really see them as a candidate for a solid end of day thunderdome.

FEP already addressed this:

I missed day end because of real life shit as well and ended up with no vote. It happens. We're on honor system with real life excuses, so try and be cool when they come up. Nothing to do with scum or town. I see what it seems like you're trying to get at, why did she never once vote in four days, but are you arguing that it is scummy to hold a vote until the end of the phase? You can make that argument while still accepting that she meant to vote last day and couldn't.

I told kits already for me, but I found out I was fired last day phase and made the choice to go drinking instead of keep up with the thread. I'm over it so go ahead and throw shade this way if missing day end is nagging anyone.

Sorian

Banned
On their own, how certain do those posts make you feel that they are town?

One of the few things that Saw and I agreed on completely after her read since she isn't up for the easy town pass I gave Crimson and Sophia too.

Even quoting back to that, I don't see scum making those posts especially two newbies.

-----

Going to poke that use of the word "pure" again since KK is now trying to link the two of us together (I think KK, my phone didn't grab the quote) and is saying if one is scum the other probably is too. Sounds like someone who knows the answer and is trying to link a scum flip to a mislynch.

Top Bottom