• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

It's a hugely flawed metaphor for race or hatred in society. The question the game is premised on is: would the Holocaust (or any apartheid-type progrom) have been justified if Jews had actually killed millions of people and/or lead to the demise of Germany in WW1?
Why think about it as necessarily being a metaphor? Why not an exercise in social/historical speculation? The augs aren't a class thing, since you have two groups of augmented: People who were rich and wanted to get a step ahead, and on the other hand industrial workers (even sex workers, that's a plot point in HR) who were not outright forced but strongly encouraged to get them (and presumably paid by their employers, not like they could afford to do it themselves). Also not directly a race thing, most augs, seemed to me, were white Czech people.

So of course the writers use language and things out of real life, because how else can you creatively create anything? But I think you are being to sensitive about this, but of course it's a view that is perfectly understandable. But my take is this: It's about how society deals with new forms of Others, in a world where individual rights are far beneath corporate ones, and furthermore you have things like the Illuminati controlling everything and everyone. (That was the cause of the Incident, after all, the chip controlling people)

This isn't a great setting to get real life lessons from (a bit muddled by the fantastic stuff), but I would see it as an appeal that 1) individual rights should come first visa-vi corporate ones (that's kinda social democratic) and 2) ``protecting'' people by segregation, no matter the justifications, will lead to terrible human suffering. (the Holocaust is not comparable here, think about the Gaza strip)

JarrodL

huh. Really enjoyed my first hour with NMS so (got off the first planet basically), at least so far, not wasted money lol.

it pretty much nails the survival / exploration aspect that I was always curious with these types of games, at least from what I expect of them I guess. Cool stuff.

Runs like shit tho.

edit: it also has a clear sense of direction, like a single player game, im not sure if that was something added throughout the updates or what, but im following the quests and it feels like a "normal" game, which is nice.

Can you check if there's a setting for HDR in graphics options? Can't find a clear answer if it's supported on PC or only for PS4Pro.

jtb

Banned
Why think about it as necessarily being a metaphor? Why not an exercise in social/historical speculation? The augs aren't a class thing, since you have two groups of augmented: People who were rich and wanted to get a step ahead, and on the other hand industrial workers (even sex workers, that's a plot point in HR) who were not outright forced but strongly encouraged to get them (and presumably paid by their employers, not like they could afford to do it themselves). Also not directly a race thing, most augs, seemed to me, were white Czech people.

So of course the writers use language and things out of real life, because how else can you creatively create anything? But I think you are being to sensitive about this. It's about how society deals with new forms of Others, in a world where individual rights are far beneath corporate ones, and furthermore you have things like the Illuminati controlling everything and everyone. (That was the cause of the Incident, after all, the chip controlling people)

This isn't a great setting to get real life lessons from (a bit muddled by the fantastic stuff), but I would see it as an appeal that 1) individual rights should come first visa-vi corporate ones (that's kinda social democratic) and 2) protecting people by segregation, no matter the justifications, will lead to terribly human suffering.

We conduct exercises in social and historical speculation for the very reason of telling us something about how we live today. Science fiction has never been about the future, but the present.

The game uses the language of racial violence and apartheid because that's what it is about and that's what it wants to be about. Apartheid. Progroms and ghettos. Police state violence targeting minorities. I'm not really going out on a limb here with this interpretation. If you have to rewrite or ignore the game's language and storytelling to fit your interpretation of its politics and themes, I'd say you're the one probably imposing too much onto the game.

Mankind Divided either has bad, dumb ideas at its heart, or it has no ideas. Either way, it's bad science fiction and a failure.

Lain

Some more info about We Happy Few price change:
Hey all,
As you know by now, we will be releasing the Life in Technicolour update on August 16! This is really exciting because it is the last major update before the final release of the game.

Last week we posted our first message that the Early Access discount price was reaching its full price on the 16th. We saw a lot of misinformation going around, and wanted to make sure we cleared things up:

• The full game is not releasing on the 16th. We are releasing the last major update on the 16th, and then we'll be working full time on the story and the 1.0 release. It will still be some time away. As we've said before, maintaining the Early Access build and the story build as separate entities is difficult, and becoming unworkable. We can now concentrate all of our efforts on making the story the best it can be.
  • We wanted to let you know about the price in advance because it is the right thing to do. We'll explain more next week, but for now the main reason we announced the price was to make sure no one felt like they were being snuck up on.
  • The final game will contain the full story we have been working on for the past 3 years. A lot of gamers who haven't played the game think it is currently just a survival sandbox, completely unaware that it contain around 90 fully voiced over encounters or that you can remove the survival settings. The game has changed a great deal since the Early Access release, so if you see people around talking about ”just another survival game", we'd appreciate if you pointed them in the direction of recent changes :)
    The new price has ruffled some feathers. It might not have been obvious how much we have been growing as a studio and how much the scope of the game has changed. But the game has evolved in alignment with the public's expectations. We cannot always show what is going on behind closed doors studio and the game has become so much bigger since we first announced the project. We will now be able to make the best game that we can, and we're very excited about what's coming.

I like the part about being able to remove the survival settings if one so wishes (to enjoy the story mode, I guess).

abxnh9y9cnjbvtcn6gto.gif

If it weren't for my backlog I MIGHT've gotten Agents of Mayhem but as is I'm gonna have to wait I'm afraid.

If it wasn't 59,99€ I'd grab it. Sucks a bit about the preorder skins.

by the by

System Shock 2 is one of the few games on Steam where the dated polygonal graphics actually help give the game a more sinister feel

Great game but I cannot play it worth a damn

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

AUPeRsu.jpg

Mystery Gift -- MB-5AE25E3570EAB191 - Taken by CGriffiths86. 11 entrants total.

t1502455389z1.png

I won this key but its apparently DLC to something I don't own. Anyway to tell what it goes to?

Wok

Some more info about We Happy Few price change:

I like the part about being able to remove the survival settings if one so wishes (to enjoy the story mode, I guess).

If it wasn't 59,99€ I'd grab it. Sucks a bit about the preorder skins.

I would buy it if the story was a standalone: I don't care about the survival sandbox.

The story should be sold at 21 €.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Any idea on how to get the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator to work? I've had the app for over a week and I'm still getting a 14 day hold on items I place in the market.

Teggy

Ugh, I just want to beat the last boss of Dragon Quest 9 so I can put it on my 52 list. I hate when I get through a game pretty reasonably and then hit roadblock last boss.

I've been playing Cat Quest. It's...ok? Combat hasn't been super interesting so far but I know there is more to unlock. Graphics are cute, especially the little nap animation when you save. Clearly is a mobile game as they didn't bother to get rid of some UI that is clearly guiding you to touch the screen.

MissChief

Any idea on how to get the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator to work? I've had the app for over a week and I'm still getting a 14 day hold on items I place in the market.

You need to use Steam Guard Mobile for at least 10 days (or was it 2 weeks?), before the "hold timer" goes away.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
NMS is neat. That's all I kept saying to myself in my 2-3 hours I played.

"thats pretty neat"

Dunno how long "neat" will last me for, but im pretty happy for now. I'm mostly following the critical path.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is there an aim to MMS now?

Because originally I got really bored just wandering around destroying rocks for minerals

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is there an aim to MMS now?

Because originally I got really bored just wandering around destroying rocks for minerals

there is a quest yes, and various sidequests as well.

I picked up West of Loathing and it's pretty good so far.

I'm like 2 hoursish in already. Writing is great. I never played Kingdom of Loathing, but I might go back and play it now.

Extra from my Humble Monthly

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (OnionPowder, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Pillars of Eternity -- MB-0583399333D1D7FE - Taken by Orakio Rob. 19 entrants total.

t1502503817z1.png

kagamin

How does Falcom always have amazing music in their games, seriously there's been so much talent at Falcom Sound Team jdk over the years.

that NMS update actually makes me want to play the game

great job Sean Murray you stuck to your word and didn't leave your fans high and dry
but you're still a liar
😋

Mivey

Mankind Divided either has bad, dumb ideas at its heart, or it has no ideas. Either way, it's bad science fiction and a failure.
I actually agree with you on that first bit. The ideas as far as the repression on augmented people are concerned, aren't particularly interesting. Not because I find them offensive, but because it's rather too obvious. No surprises there, it get's old after five minutes and there isn't any interesting dynamic to the thing.
But I think I can understand where you are coming from. It is everywhere in the game, and if it does nag you as much as it I get from your post, then that will be quite decremental, to put it nicely. But luckily, I don't feel that way at all , and even really like cyber-Praque, so let us both appreciate, just how much I personally enjoy it and leave it at that.

r3n4ud

I'll watch this tomorrow. Wonder if the game is good but just had shit marketing?
Hoping it's good. Took a chance and preordered it at Bundlestars with their summer sale coupon.

I mean, the game has to be pretty much a steaming pile of squirrel shit for me to hate it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sega announced delay of sonic mania the same day sonic mania's lead programmer complains about DRM. doesn't take a huge thonk gif to figure out the cause of the delay.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
lame

So I need to add a few bucks to paypal just in case, so that it ALL goes back to my wallet huh?

When you split a transaction across Steam Wallet and a different payment method and request a refund, you have two options:

- Refund the transaction as it was split (e.g. $10 to your wallet and $5 to your PayPal account), provided the external payment method supports refunds, or
- Refund the entire transaction to your wallet

What you can't do is change the split (e.g. $5 to your wallet and $10 to your PayPal account) or refund the entire transaction to the external payment method (e.g. $15 to your PayPal account).

Mivey

sega announced delay of sonic mania the same day sonic mania's lead programmer complains about DRM. doesn't take a huge thonk gif to figure out the cause of the delay.
Can you blame the guy? He probably had to cancel some stuff he planned to do after the game was released, and now he can kiss his weekends goodbye to program in something that will be cracked within hours anyway. Nobody at these Japanese giants think about the small guy (or gall) having to implement their stupid demands, and then maybe even loses a job if their dumb sales expectations aren't met.

Nyoro SF

Can you blame the guy? He probably had to cancel some stuff he planned to do after the game was released, and now he can kiss his weekends goodbye to program in something that will be cracked within hours anyway. Nobody at these Japanese giants think about the small guy (or gall) having to implement their stupid demands, and then maybe even loses a job if their dumb sales expectations aren't met.

Yep. I feel for the dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom