• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POC, and anyone read up: recommend me some literature to help me get more woke.

Kreed

Periods are the white devil’s creation? What? Historical periods?

Meet The Internet’s Tiny Hotep

We’ve talked about the men of Hotep Twitter before. They may ruffle feathers but they have a passionate following. It appears, though, that the men of Hotep have found a new final boss to worship. His name appears to be “YADA” and he believes that periods come from unnatural foods and was created by the White man, grocery store vegetables don’t have enough carbon to be truly vegan. His “teachings” have taken over the Internet and taken a life of their own.

https://bossip.com/1293850/periods-...d-hotep-who-has-the-internet-losing-its-mind/

maruchan

some classics
Autobiography-Of-Malcolm-X-The.jpg

51ygFVYTVFL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

black-skin-white-masks.jpg

45882.jpg

LionPride

Banned
Don't you like it when you know you've seen something

A person asks if you have, you say yes

And they say you haven't

Anyways, OP, also read the Autobiography of Malcolm X

sphagnum

Banned
The Wretched of the Earth and Black Skin, White Masks by Frantz Fanon. They're more about colonialism but Canon's works are classics.

If you want something about modern America and easily digestible, look up talks by Tim Wise.

If you want something more out there and still debated on the left, there's Settlers by J. Sakai.

What are your thoughts on Egypt?

Some black people are from there but most black Americans are from Ghana and West Africa. Ancient Egyptian Africans were of a darker hue. That point is echoed the hieroglyphic drawings. My step dad stated as such and he is Egyptian of arab descent.

Mumei

I value women as equals as well. What does that have to do with the value of researched history with historians?

Since you mentioned reviews, I took the time to read up on the films, and the critical reviews noted a number of glaring inaccuracies:

• The documentary claims that IQ tests were developed by the Nazis. They were not.
  • The documentary claims that the women's movement aimed primarily to de-masculinize men of color. It did not.
  • The documentary claims that Scipio Africanus was given the right to name Africa after himself. This is incorrect.
  • The documentary claims that a vast conspiracy involving Egyptologists being controlled by the Vatican was formed to filter out anything that might make people of color look better than white people. This doesn't pass the sniff test.
  • The documentary claims that the Ainu people of Japan are an African tribe. There is no evidence to support this.
  • The documentary claims that Africans created Buddhism, an argument supported by the existence of a Buddha statue that apparently has African features.
  • The documentary advocates for a pseudoscientific theory called melanin theory. This theory is nonsense.

This is just a small sample. I haven't seen the documentary, but if these are the kinds of claims that he is making, I don't need to. This is not researched, and it certainly isn't the kind of work that any professional historian would be willing to put out there. And this is true even if there are other aspects that are interesting and insightful; those kinds of errors are so bad that it discredits the work as a whole. The result is closer kin to Christian revisionist takes on the American founding, or Dunning School takes on Civil War, Reconstruction, and Redemption than it is to anything resembling deeply-researched and well-supported historical inquiry.

You should read some books and stop relying on thinly researched conspiratorially-minded documentaries to inform yourself. I've suggested a few.

And perhaps this is what your valuing women has to do with your opinion of the filmmaker (again, not a historian, not doing historical research):

And I watched this documentary, even though I noticed that the film’s producer and main “historian,” was Tariq Nasheed, a well-documented misogynist who promotes sexist and homophobic ideas in the name of black history. Most of you all may be more familiar with Nasheed’s other persona, King Flex, a gator-wearing, pimp-cup cupping, self-proclaimed ladies man, who has written numerous advice books about channeling your inner womanizer and has appeared on various television programs, promoting his tomfoolery, including on The Conan O’Brien Show and Flavor of Love: Charm School. When Nasheed isn’t pontificating on the Moors’ influence in the development of Rome, King Flex can be found giving “mack lessons” via his online radio show or his YouTube channel, dropping gems like,”‘women over 40 should be glad that any man is spitting at them because rarely do they look good” and “why hoodrats need to understand that their slick mouth ways are not tolerated on the west coast (as it is apparently tolerated in the the east and in the south), therefore, don’t be surprised when one of those hoodrats get punched in the mouth.” He also operates a message board called The United Players of America, where aspiring players, macks and hustlers can gain valuable insight into the proper way of laying down a smooth pimp hand from veteran players, macks and hustlers.

I watched the documentary, even knowing that this might be giving credence to all of what I like to call, ignorant conscious folks. You know the type well: these are the men and some women, who believe that everything, including their own mistakes, helplessness, insecurities and misgivings in life, are the fault of white men and their evil and manipulative black women cohorts. These are the folks that will in one hand hold black women up as queens of the earth but are also quick to sloganeer some misogynist, and occasionally violent language and action for those who fail to live up to their expectation of what a queen is suppose to be.

Sure doesn't look like valuing women as equals to me.

Well slave labor is mostly banished in modern societies. That helped tons back then.

Even better!

The surprises were just beginning. Faunal analyst Richard Redding, of the University of Michigan Museum of Natural History, identified tremendous quantities of cattle, sheep, and goat bone, "enough to feed several thousand people, even if they ate meat every day," Lehner adds. Redding, who has worked at archaeological sites all over the Middle East, "was astounded by the amount of cattle bone he was finding," says Lehner. He could identify much of it as "young, under two years of age, and it tended to be male." Here was evidence of many people—presumably not slaves or common laborers, but skilled workers—feasting on prime beef, the best meat available.

REDDING'S faunal evidence dealt a serious blow to the Hollywood version of pyramid building, with Charlton Heston as Moses intoning, "Pharaoh, let my people go!" There were slaves in Egypt, says Lehner, but the discovery that pyramid workers were fed like royalty buttresses other evidence that they were not slaves at all, at least in the modern sense of the word. Harvard's George Reisner found workers' graffiti early in the twentieth century that revealed that the pyramid builders were organized into labor units with names like "Friends of Khufu" or "Drunkards of Menkaure." Within these units were five divisions (their roles still unknown)—the same groupings, according to papyrus scrolls of a later period, that served in the pyramid temples. We do know, Lehner says, that service in these temples was rendered by a special class of people on a rotating basis determined by those five divisions. Many Egyptologists therefore subscribe to the hypothesis that the pyramids were also built by a rotating labor force in a modular, team-based kind of organization.

If not slaves, then who were these workers? Lehner's friend Zahi Hawass, secretary general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, who has been excavating a "workers' cemetery" just above Lehner's city on the plateau, sees forensic evidence in the remains of those buried there that pyramid building was hazardous business. Why would anyone choose to perform such hard labor? The answer, says Lehner, lies in understanding obligatory labor in the premodern world. "People were not atomized, separate, individuals with the political and economic freedom that we take for granted. Obligatory labor ranges from slavery all the way to, say, the Amish, where you have elders and a strong sense of community obligations, and a barn raising is a religious event and a feasting event. If you are a young man in a traditional setting like that, you may not have a choice." Plug that into the pyramid context, says Lehner, "and you have to say, 'This is a hell of a barn!'"

Lehner currently thinks Egyptian society was organized somewhat like a feudal system, in which almost everyone owed service to a lord. The Egyptians called this "bak." Everybody owed bak of some kind to people above them in the social hierarchy. "But it doesn't really work as a word for slavery," he says. "Even the highest officials owed bak."

Kreed

I was going to quote Tariq Nasheed's tweet calling Simone Biles a "Negro Bed Wench" for having a crush on Zac Efron, but I see Mumei has everything under control.

Cocaloch

Tribalism doesn't fall because you quote books and stats at people, if anything academic minutiae helps such movements rise since its ivory tower academics that the average person cannot sympathize with or understand.

Tribalism falls apart when either you have an external threat that can rally different people, when economic conditions demand that you work with different people to achieve higher prosperity, or when you regularly socialize with people you have been taught to hate.

You will never convince a 26 year old white kid raised under white power groups that black people are just like him by reading books or quoting wikipedia stats. It doesn't mean he is a lost cause, but you being "woke" isn't going to ever do anything to change him.

Finally the most important thing is realizing that the political process is the will of the majority, but only the majority that actually vote. White power groups haven't increased by 50% in membership in the last 9 months. Its always been in the background a certain percentage of America that hates anyone non white. They have just been emboldened to not hide in the past year for obvious reasons.

If more people would actually go out and vote instead of stay home and say the system is rigged/broken/etc, they would remain in the shadows. Only 55.7% of eligible voters actually went out on Nov 8th, 2016, ranking the US as 31st out of 34 tracked countries. Pretty simple solution that doesn't require laws changed, minds changed, anyone being "woke", etc. Simply being a volunteer in the campaign process and getting 2 people who never voted to go out and vote will do far, far, far more than reading 100 books.

Classic.

Anyway, you're fundamentally misunderstanding the point of an academic approach to solving social problems. It's not about browbeating people with how extensively read you are. It's about actually understanding the problem in order to better come up with solutions that can work.

Zakalwe

Banned
When I grow up I'm going to make posts like Mumei.

I'm listing everything, going down to my library tomorrow and hoping they have something. Made a list on Amazon for when I can.

Examples to free reading is also appreciated a lot.

Jeff6851

Not a black/brown person but this list was made by a black comrade:

Seize the Time - Bobby Seale
Black Skin, White Masks - Frantz Fanon
Neo-colonialism - The Last Stage of Imperialism

The whole list is on Google Drive and I can PM it if you want

sphagnum

Banned
Yeah, ancient Egyptians didn't likely use slavery to build the pyramids. They even had organized labor to an extent. The world's first recorded strike was in ancient Egypt.

The heavy cost of these battles slowly exhausted Egypt's treasury and contributed to the gradual decline of the Egyptian Empire in Asia. The severity of these difficulties is stressed by the fact that the first known labour strike in recorded history occurred during Year 29 of Ramesses III's reign, when the food rations for the favoured and elite royal tomb-builders and artisans in the village of Set Maat her imenty Waset (now known as Deir el-Medina), could not be provisioned.[6] Something in the air (possibly the Hekla 3 eruption) prevented much sunlight from reaching the ground and also arrested global tree growth for almost two full decades until 1140 BC. The result in Egypt was a substantial increase in grain prices under the later reigns of Ramesses VI–VII, whereas the prices for fowl and slaves remained constant.[7] Thus the cooldown affected Ramesses III's final years and impaired his ability to provide a constant supply of grain rations to the workmen of the Deir el-Medina community.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramesses_III

Mumei

I'm listing everything, going down to my library tomorrow and hoping they have something. Made a list on Amazon for when I can.

There's this thing called a library that you're already paying for!

Zakalwe

Banned
This Egyption stuff is pretty fascinating. I wish I could just matrix all this stuff into my brain, I don't feel like I have anywhere near enough to time to read everything I want to.

There's this thing called a library that you're already paying for!

Heh, it's in the post you quoted silly! :p

platocplx

Dog whistle politics: how coded racial appeals reinvented racism and wrecked the middle class.

This book pretty much nailed the kind of racism that exists today and how we are where we are currently.

Yeah, ancient Egyptians didn't likely use slavery to build the pyramids. They even had organized labor to an extent. The world's first recorded strike was in ancient Egypt.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramesses_III

Yeah, Though slave labor was definitely used in Ancient Times it wasn't always done in large construction; I'm not sure if the Egyptians did this and the records will be to few to say definitely but I know a lot of large building projects by the Romans actually didn't use slaves but was a combination work of many Construction and Manufacturing companies around the empire sometimes to the scale that for example Brick building ceases around the empire in the months or years of a great work construction as all resources are siphoned into it. Many Great works actually have if you look hard enough the signatures of the workers who laid it.

Calion

Good thread, I know I have a few new books to starting reading now.

"Between the world and me" by Ta-Nehisi Coates

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0451482212/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seconding this.

This is a good book for really making you really feel that racism is an actual problem in the world today. A lot of times people talk about racism and think of it as a kind of abstract or historical problem. Or they know that racism exists today but don't really understand it. This book will make you understand.

It's a really short book, too. Absolutely worth the read.

Top Bottom