• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a new PC!" 2010 Edition

//B1G

Banned
vazel said:
The fuck?
angry.gif
you're 'the fuck?'ing because i asked for help, right?

Shambles

//B1G said:
you're 'the fuck?'ing because i asked for help, right?

Don't mistake our good nature of wanting to help people have a pleasant experience with PCs with an inner need to be liked by everyone including fraudulant douches.

Cipherr

The Big Rig said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824114004

Is this a decent cheap monitor. I don't need anything fancy, I just want something that does 1080 and will last a decent a while. The reviews seemed pretty positive. eMachines name scares me though.

This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

Is 129.99 after the current $20 coupon and the $20 rebate bringing it to just $10 more. Its has much more reviews, is the same size, but has a 2ms response time so you don't get ghosting when your gaming which is unbelievably ANNOYING. Seems if you can handle the cost before the rebate Id go with that one instead.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mairu said:
the intel x25-m 120gb vs patriot inferno 120gb (15$ less for patriot after rebate) WHICH ONE HAZARO (or anyone else)
Intel no questions.
Jin34 said:
You forgot about the new SandForce controller with its rumored insane read/write.
I had only seen the intel roadmaps, more info would be fantastic.

Jin34

Hazaro said:
Intel no questions.

I had only seen the intel roadmaps, more info would be fantastic.

Lets just say SandForce claims near 500MB/s Read/Write :D

I'll try and look it up again. Oh nm posted at the same time.

Edit: For those of you wondering, that would mean it maxes out SATA III.

//B1G

Banned
Shambles said:
Don't mistake our good nature of wanting to help people have a pleasant experience with PCs with an inner need to be liked by everyone including fraudulant douches.
a fraudulent douche? i insure and then send something, they break it, and i do what i can to get the full amount... are you trying to tell me you'd tell them 'nah, don't worry about it. just gimme like a 20 and we'll call it even.'?

//B1G said:
a fraudulent douche? i insure and then send something, they break it, and i do what i can to get the full amount... are you trying to tell me you'd tell them 'nah, don't worry about it. just gimme like a 20 and we'll call it even.'?
A fucking card reader is like $10.

joseph1594 said:
I haven't yet started purchasing, as I have only started planning very recently. I will be sure to examine those closely. So, what are good options regarding RAM, motherboards, etc? I'm new at building PCs.
Hard to say for certain. A lot depends on your usage, needs and budget. Regarding motherboards, for instance, Asus and Gigabyte are two of the (if not the) top aftermarket brands, but, like everyone else, even they aren't infallible. "Good" companies put out bad or shoddy products just like the "bad" ones do. Generally, it's just at a lower rate.

Most of the major brands have revealed most/all of their upcoming P67 motherboards. DDR3 prices are at near laughably low levels at the moment, and are projected to stay that way going into Q1 2011.

Once Intel's chips go on sale you'll start seeing members in this thread and various sites put together configurations ranging from low to higher end. Here are two current ones that should give you an idea of how to match up components. Unfortunately, some sites have relationships with certain manufacturers so you'll notice some brands being mentioned consistently, even though they may not be the best choice.

TR's Fall 2010 system guide
http://techreport.com/articles.x/19868

Holiday 2010 System Builder's Guide
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4025/holiday-2010-system-builders-guide

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
opticalmace said:
A fucking card reader is like $10.

Not to mention that if it's just a 2.5" bay mounted one, then from the described "damage," all you need to do is open up the case and give it a light push from the other side to slide it back into place.

Ashhong

//B1G said:

You said yourself, multiple times in your post, that you over-exaggerated and lied. Now you want to find a way to have a store lie for you and say the computer is unfixable. How is that not fraudulent? :lol

Cipherr

500MB read and right sequential......

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Oh god. Just.....seriously...

And I thought Sata 6 was 600MB/s? Oh well, still, that's blazing, and hopefully by late next year you'll be able to get a 512 for 600 or so. Id definitely buy one if so for my current system and keep the current one there as added space, or sell it. At this pace the next sata should just skip 9 and hit 12.

Jin34

Puncture said:
500MB read and right sequential......

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Oh god. Just.....seriously...

And I thought Sata 6 was 600MB/s? Oh well, still, that's blazing, and hopefully by late next year you'll be able to get a 512 for 600 or so. Id definitely buy one if so for my current system and keep the current one there as added space, or sell it. At this pace the next sata should just skip 9 and hit 12.

Yeah I think you're right its 600, but if they are already so close when SATA III is pretty new then they better be working on SATA IV.

anyone know some good sites with good check lists of programs to download, and optimization features to do in windows 7(disabling indexing for example) and so on?

like maybe a guide, to the latest of the best anti virus, torrent programs, email clients, hardware temp monitor to windows 7 themes and screensavers!?

Ashhong

I dont ahve a site but

Microsoft Security Essentials
uTorrent
SpeedFan

I'm looking forward to a site though so I can find out about optimizing it as well

·feist· said:
Hard to say for certain. A lot depends on your usage, needs and budget. Regarding motherboards, for instance, Asus and Gigabyte are two of the (if not the) top aftermarket brands, but, like everyone else, even they aren't infallible. "Good" companies put out bad or shoddy products just like the "bad" ones do. Generally, it's just at a lower rate.

Most of the major brands have revealed most/all of their upcoming P67 motherboards. DDR3 prices are at near laughably low levels at the moment, and are projected to stay that way going into Q1 2011.

Once Intel's chips go on sale you'll start seeing members in this thread and various sites put together configurations ranging from low to higher end. Here are two current ones that should give you an idea of how to match up components. Unfortunately, some sites have relationships with certain manufacturers so you'll notice some brands being mentioned consistently, even though they may not be the best choice.

TR's Fall 2010 system guide
http://techreport.com/articles.x/19868

Holiday 2010 System Builder's Guide
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4025/holiday-2010-system-builders-guide

Thanks, those guides look great and are just what I was looking for. I get a bit confused with all of the different parts there are on the market, this should be able to straighten things out.

Edit: I was looking at some of the Holiday System Builder's Guide, specifically at Jarred's AMD Budget Gaming System and the alternative it gives. How good is that setup and what kind of games could I play with what settings?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
//B1G said:
Having insurance coverage does not mean you're entitled to the full amount, just for any damage. It's coverage "up to" the amount insured.

And you're a fucking idiot, for calling reputable businesses, casually asking them to become complicit in an insurance fraud. I can't believe you have the balls to be that damn stupid.

You realize that it being a claim of $1k makes it a Class E felony?

I've got a question and a follow up question if somebody could help me out. I should preface this by saying it is not a "my PC is broke, please be my tech support" question.

My wife went to turn her PC on this morning and it wouldn't power on, no juice whatsoever. I did some troubleshooting and have determined the power supply went and took out her motherboard with it. My reasoning is: her power supply will not power up our 2nd PC and the 2nd PC's power supply will not power on her motherboard. I also tried circumventing her PC's power switch by touching the two power pins directly with a razor blade, nothing.

SO, my question is: Is a power supply manufacturer at all liable in any way if their faulty PS (which is still under warranty) killed the MB? Is it something that's too hard to prove therefore nothing we can do?

My follow up question is: since we are out a MB regardless and you guys seem great at recommending parts, can you recommend one for us? All we need is a LGA 775 socket, DDR2 RAM slots, and a PCI Express x16 slot. The cheapest solution is preferred since we aren't even sure if the MB is all it fried and we aren't looking to upgrade, just repair.

Thanks guys :)

joseph1594 said:
Thanks, those guides look great and are just what I was looking for. I get a bit confused with all of the different parts there are on the market, this should be able to straighten things out.

Edit: I was looking at some of the Holiday System Builder's Guide, specifically at Jarred's AMD Budget Gaming System and the alternative it gives. How good is that setup and what kind of games could I play with what settings?
It's pretty good. If you're playing on that 1600x1024 monitor you'll be able to max all new games, save for Crysis/Metro 2033. I would probably personally go Intel/Nvidia and change around a couple things, but it's a good build.
(Also you should be able to build it cheaper than what he has listed... definitely sub-700 if you shop around. But then again, Sandy Bridge is looming and the prices seem pretty good. Only unknown is the cost of a motherboard.)

Antiochus

Processor.png

Excellent. Has there been any indications as to which ones would fall under the budget (i.e.i3-530), performance>price(i.e.i5-760), high end(i.e. i7-930/950), and ultra high end (i.e. i7-970/980) categories?

Clevinger

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I've got a question and a follow up question if somebody could help me out. I should preface this by saying it is not a "my PC is broke, please be my tech support" question.

My wife went to turn her PC on this morning and it wouldn't power on, no juice whatsoever. I did some troubleshooting and have determined the power supply went and took out her motherboard with it. My reasoning is: her power supply will not power up our 2nd PC and the 2nd PC's power supply will not power on her motherboard. I also tried circumventing her PC's power switch by touching the two power pins directly with a razor blade, nothing.

SO, my question is: Is a power supply manufacturer at all liable in any way if their faulty PS (which is still under warranty) killed the MB? Is it something that's too hard to prove therefore nothing we can do?

My follow up question is: since we are out a MB regardless and you guys seem great at recommending parts, can you recommend one for us? All we need is a LGA 775 socket, DDR2 RAM slots, and a PCI Express x16 slot. The cheapest solution is preferred since we aren't even sure if the MB is all it fried and we aren't looking to upgrade, just repair.

Thanks guys :)

Isn't there a possibility it could also be the ram or processor?

This is what I hate about building/maintaining PCs; it's too hard to figure out what's wrong.

opticalmace said:
It's pretty good. If you're playing on that 1600x1024 monitor you'll be able to max all new games, save for Crysis/Metro 2033. I would probably personally go Intel/Nvidia and change around a couple things, but it's a good build.
(Also you should be able to build it cheaper than what he has listed... definitely sub-700 if you shop around. But then again, Sandy Bridge is looming and the prices seem pretty good. Only unknown is the cost of a motherboard.)

Great, thanks for your help! I think I slowly am getting it on bulding PCs.

Antiochus said:
[IM]http://www.expreview.com/img/news/2010/11/24/Processor.png[/IMG]

Excellent. Has there been any indications as to which ones would fall under the budget (i.e.i3-530), performance>price(i.e.i5-760), high end(i.e. i7-930/950), and ultra high end (i.e. i7-970/980) categories?
Yup.

roadmap_sm.jpg

And pricing:

price.png

TheFatOne

Hey GAF I'm helping my brother build a computer for Christmas. I want to buy the graphics card for him as a present. He will be gaming at 1680*1050. Can anyone recommend me a solid card my budget is about $150.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Quick Question: At 1920x1200, should I use HDMI or DVI? My Monitor has both, and most graphics cards do too, would one be better then the other?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Did pricing just leak today?

Hot damn intel I love you. At least as much as one can love a company who sets overclocking chips as a separate SKU and charges more.

opticalmace said:
Hazaro said:
Haven't read the article that that pricing list comes from, still I'm fairly certain they're basing it on the leak from that Swedish retail site that had ~8-10 CPUs listed accidentally. Assuming those were correct, you'd still have to account for VAT, exchange rates, various local taxes, etc.

I'll believe final pricing when I see it from an internal memo leak, or at CES.

Hazaro said:
Hot damn intel I love you. At least as much as one can love a company who sets overclocking chips as a separate SKU and charges more.
...and has been staunchly reluctant to speed up the adoption of USB 3 and SATA 3. The upcoming AM3+ chipsets offer up a silly amount of those ports. Gotta push that LightPeak, though...

That said, you know how the current Intel quads match and exceed the AMD X6s? Well, considering how a ~2.5GHz SB quad with turbo and hyper-threading both off, soundly trounces a ~3GHz X6 with turbo on, AMD needs to hope that those prices are false, and that the 4/6/8-core Bulldozers offer a compelling alternative beyond simply being lower in cost.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It's a shame bulldozer is so far away. I was waiting for that chip before upgrading but i might just go the sandy bridge route and OC a bit. That should last me another 2 years anyway.

I wonder how long until the enthusiast version of SB comes out without the GPU. Maybe i will wait for that one instead, chances are it will be around bulldozer time :lol

Shambles

Angelus Errare said:
Bulldozer is going to be a disappointment, quote me on it

Done :p

SB performance will be great, but it's pricing, like all of Intels products probably won't be that competative on the lower to mid range CPUs for the price points. Also with Intel fucking us over with disabling overclocking their stock parts now have to compete with the AMDs parts overclocked at the same price point. I wish I could support SB because it sounds great but disabling overclocking really gets under my skin. I don't think Bulldozer will be a dissapointment, it will just be like most of AMDs lineup where they target the price/performance on the low to mid range parts.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Shambles said:
SB performance will be great, but it's pricing, like all of Intels products probably won't be that competative on the lower to mid range CPUs for the price points. Also with Intel fucking us over with disabling overclocking their stock parts now have to compete with the AMDs parts overclocked at the same price point. I wish I could support SB because it sounds great but disabling overclocking really gets under my skin. I don't think Bulldozer will be a dissapointment, it will just be like most of AMDs lineup where they target the price/performance on the low to mid range parts.
Only $11 more for the 2500K!
I was honestly expecting $30-$50 more so that is nice. Hopefully that is what is passed on to the buyers anyway...

.nimrod

I need your opinion pcGAF, here is what i have in mind so far:

Code:
Core i7 950	                               249,43€

ASRock x58 Extreme 		               148,07€

Gigabyte SOC GTX 470 1280MB	               249,52€

3*2GB Kingston CL9 ValueRam PC3-10666 KIT 	71,26€

OCZ Vertex 2 60GB		                99,00€

Hitachi 1000GB HDS721010CLA332 7200rpm		44,60€

700W Cooler Master Silent Pro M700		89,54€
----------------------------------------------------------
                	                       951,42€
I just picked the cheapest mainboard/RAM/HDD available since i don't actually know what to look for.
Which boards are generally good and by what criteria do i choose the right RAM?

Any suggestions on what to buy instead would be very helpful.

I'm also looking for an inexpensive Mid tower and cpu cooler, but keep in mind i'm in germany, so i can't take advantage of any newegg prices/rebates.

looking like its gonna be a 2500k for me. newegg just ran out of the i5 760 combo for 250 so i guess i will wait until this stuff drops. i bought by q6600 when all the i7 stuff dropped not knowing. I think i will try to not be so behind the curve this time.

Sanjay

Hazaro said:

Are the ones with the "K" the overclockable cpu's? I only see my self moving up from the i7 @ 4.2ghz if they can reach beyond 5ghz.

ZZMitch

Hey GAF, what is the best controller to play platformers on PC?

I am asking for Christmas from family a wired xbox 360 controller for Windows for 3rd person games and the like, and I was thinking maybe a Sega Saturn USB controller for platformers?

Is that what others use?

How much do those Sandforce controllers cost or are they integrated?

I'm going to get the 2600k (though I don't overclock). Anyone know if they're also coming out with Xeon versions (or did they lead the way)?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sanjay said:
Are the ones with the "K" the overclockable cpu's? I only see my self moving up from the i7 @ 4.2ghz if they can reach beyond 5ghz.
No more FSB overclocking (It's nearly locked at 100Mhz, good luck getting 102Mhz).
Instead the K series will have unlocked multipliers and all overclocking will be done that way.
Also Intel has been demoing sample chips running at 5Ghz on Air (Albeit at ridiculous voltages). In the past retail chips are usually better than ES chips as well.
ZZMitch said:
Hey GAF, what is the best controller to play platformers on PC?

I am asking for Christmas from family a wired xbox 360 controller for Windows for 3rd person games and the like, and I was thinking maybe a Sega Saturn USB controller for platformers?

Is that what others use?
Correct!
Spiderjericho said:
How much do those Sandforce controllers cost or are they integrated?

I'm going to get the 2600k (though I don't overclock). Anyone know if they're also coming out with Xeon versions (or did they lead the way)?
People who make the SSD's use the sandforce controller to manage all the flash stuff. It's a core component.

Why get a 2600K if you aren't going to overclock? It's the same chip.

I really hope I can order tomorrow. I had to downgrade my processor from a Phenom 925 to an Athlon 640 and remove the CPU cooler to keep it under $600. Waiting sucks. How much can I expect to OC a 640 on air?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ChoklitReign said:
I really hope I can order tomorrow. I had to downgrade my processor from a Phenom 925 to an Athlon 640 and remove the CPU cooler to keep it under $600. Waiting sucks. How much can I expect to OC a 640 on air?
3.5 ish

Guys, you may want to wait on confirmed pricing in your region before making any loose plans.

Intel Sandy Bridge in the Swedish store
http://translate.google.com/transla...ridge-i-svensk-butik&sl=sv&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Sanjay said:
If you look at the links I posted a few posts above (or page 363 for 50ppp), you'll see a number of people clocking the 2600K up to 5.0-5.5GHz on air. About every company and individual leak has hit 5GHz. Just like retail, the ES chips have been all over the map voltage wise, with some CPUs not requiring much for increased speed. Depending on how things work out, I'd think 4.4-4.8GHz at ~1.32v or lower may be the ideal range for most 24/7 clocks (at least initially).

Top Bottom