• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Richard Spencer may be rallying at Univ. of Florida next...what is the way forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such insane bullshit. The left celebrating violence and death will push kids away. It will push moderates away. It will cause us to lose what we care about. Or do you care more for violence than for change?

Again if you lose the moderates that way THEY WERE NEVER ON YOUR SIDE TO BEGIN WITH

I hope the protesters make their "rally"/klan meeting go through hell. Hand out airhorns, and blow them every time they try to speak. Put a large curtain or banner at the area he'll be speaking with SNOWFLAKES written on there. Be as disruptive as possible. Maybe they'll get so frustrated and pissed that they'll walk off with their tails between their legs.

I said it in the other thread, but this discussion is too dispersed.

Nazis have been showing their true colors for months now and not once has the state or mainstream media denounced it, just listed it as another opinion. An opinion that apparently must be met with "the heart and mind" instead of the violence it deserves because these white people do not want to see you or me exist

I just don't understand that as a black man, you're complacent with seeing all this violence and thinking "nope, just got to open our hearts"

I understand the primal urge, but it doesn't work. Think about what you value, and think about how you're going to get it. Violence is not the answer. Violence pushes dumbasses who might join your cause to the other side.

How is the bolded true in the slightest?

Also, violence worked really well when we eradicated Nazism in the 40s. Really really well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is such insane bullshit. The left celebrating violence and death will push kids away. It will push moderates away. It will cause us to lose what we care about. Or do you care more for violence than for change?

No, it won't. Kids like it when the bad guys lose.

No one who dislikes violence in general would ever be pushed to join a group of gun-loving neck-bearded neo-Nazis.

border

How many of the people advocating violence are actually headed to Gainesville so you can start punching people? How many of you are willing to eat an assault & battery arrest, endure whatever may happen to you during police custody, and ultimately serve jail time over it?

It seems like total bullshit that you can accuse pacifists of being naive flowers who cower behind a keyboard, when most of you are probably just hiding behind a keyboard as well. "Oh well, I have to work that weekend and it's like a 3 hour drive.....but somebody else punch a nazi for me pretty please."

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What's insane bullshit is thinking that once we meet an imaginary quota of violent nazi actions then and only then will people think nazis are bad. Meanwhile the victims should just sit back and take it without fighting back. THAT'S insane bullshit that shows a huge lack of perspective for even a 24 hour timeline.

UberTag

Just an FYI... that whole "this is the last I'll reply in this thread" shtick doesn't hold much weight if you simply move to another similar thread to spout the same rhetoric.

How many of the people advocating violence are actually headed to Gainesville so you can start punching people? How many of you are willing to eat an assault & battery arrest, endure whatever may happen to you during police custody, and ultimately serve jail time over it?

It seems like total bullshit that you can accuse pacifists of being naive flowers who cower behind a keyboard, when most of you are probably just hiding behind a keyboard as well. "Oh well, I have to work that weekend and it's like a 3 hour drive.....but somebody else punch a nazi for me pretty please."
Now this is a perfectly valid argument.

Lowmelody

Show these fucks their own blood and make it real for them. These doughy Nazi bitches think this is a game. When Nazis target minorities with threats you punch them, when they target minorities with violence, you kill them. No exceptions.

Nepenthe

Yeah, because when ISIS fighters get killed, the moderates and children get all fucking distraught at the celebration of it all.

I mean you're on the internet with the rest of them crying about it sooooooo

Honestly, I hope no one goes to confront the bastard. Starve people like him the media attention they so relish, especially when the 'radical left' goes to yell at them.

Although, if someone wants to punch him, I say do your American duty and beat up some nazis.

bachikarn

Why would it push kids away? Do you think most teenagers are pacifists or something? If anything, painting a very easy enemy and kicking the crap out of them will probably win their minds.

These alt right kids are drawn to a message about how minorities should be exterminated. Not cause they are peaceful sunflowers.

I don't necessarily agree that violence is the only answer but we definitely should not put a lot of effort protecting their right to free speech. Fuck em

border

I mean you're on the internet with the rest of them crying about it sooooooo

I'm not advocating for other people to take seriously destructive actions that I tacitly refuse to take part in. I have no problem calling out pigeonhawks, particularly the ones that see fit to mock the doves.

Belfast

Free speech is one thing, but it shouldn't entitle people with shitty things to say to larger and larger platforms.

SoCoRoBo

It's crazy to see how easily people are willing to jump on the 'lol punch Nazis I'm the Bear Jew' and not see any problem with the idea of normalising political violence. Political non-violence is not a norm that can be selectively attacked. It can only be attacked wholesale. And when you attack that norm and decide that it's no longer expedient to believe in, bizarrely it's not the left or minorities who benefit, it's the entrenched right wing and conservative power structure.

It's similar to the ACLU thread where large amounts of people are willing to dispense with free speech protections because they don't like that white nationalists can speak freely, not understanding that literally any legislative inroad on free speech is almost certain to be used to crack down on movements like Black Lives Matter and and far-left groups far more frequently than it is going to be used against white nationalists.

There's an obvious distinction to be drawn to armed resistance against a burgeoning fascist takeover of the state and randomly decking people in the street or at rallies. Antifa are not a good or nuanced movement and their definition of Nazi is enormous. I have no trust in their ability to surgically attack only the worst Nazis and not cause anarchy. Coupled with that is that the vast majority of people who talk in puffed up terms about their willingness to take it to the Nazis are basically online LARPing and have no idea of the seriousness of what they're suggesting. It's inane, unserious, wank.

It's gonna be hard for students to figure out how they'll protest if they don't know which space he'll be in for a while. They're was a pretty large group of us when there was one of them last senester. This shit's not gonna fly, especially if they place him somewhere near central campus.

I should note I'm not a violent person, but if I see one of their guys do a Hitler salute near me, I might lose my temper. Not only are they an embarassment to an entire nation, but bringing back not even imagery, but a direct symbol of the hatred and pure evil that people in my family went through during the Holocaust is fucking disgusting. Call them klansmen or Nazis, either way they're a stain, and frankly proposing non-violent tactics seems more and more misguided, but proposing anything beyond that is franlly scary

I'm not advocating for other people to take seriously destructive actions that I tacitly refuse to take part in. I have no problem calling out pigeonhawks, particularly the ones that see fit to mock the doves.

You know saying it like this doesn't make you sound any smarter right?

It's crazy to see how easily people are willing to jump on the 'lol punch Nazis I'm the Bear Jew' and not see any problem with the idea of normalising political violence. Political non-violence is not a norm that can be selectively attacked. It can only be attacked wholesale. And when you attack that norm and decide that it's no longer expedient to believe in, bizarrely it's not the left or minorities who benefit, it's the entrenched right wing and conservative power structure.

It's similar to the ACLU thread where large amounts of people are willing to dispense with free speech protections because they don't like that white nationalists can speak freely, not understanding that literally any legislative inroad on free speech is almost certain to be used to crack down on movements like Black Lives Matter and and far-left groups far more frequently than it is going to be used against white nationalists.

There's an obvious distinction to be drawn to armed resistance against a burgeoning fascist takeover of the state and randomly decking people in the street or at rallies. Antifa are not a good or nuanced movement and their definition of Nazi is enormous. I have no trust in their ability to surgically attack only the worst Nazis and not cause anarchy. Coupled with that is that the vast majority of people who talk in puffed up terms about their willingness to take it to the Nazis are basically online LARPing and have no idea of the seriousness of what they're suggesting. It's inane, unserious, wank.
"Normalizing political violence" when nazis killed 3 people yesterday lol

Fox Mulder

Violence worked against Nazis in the 40s, it'll work now.

We fought a world war against this shit, free speech shouldn't apply to them.

We aren't supposed to be meeting Nazis half way.

The government should ban Nazism. Fines and such for the expression of support for Nazism.

Lowmelody

Moderate preaching is so fucking tone deaf when it comes to Nazis. People acknowledge the historical lesson of how to deal with Nazis and why you must do it before they cause damage and certain people see this an opportunity to show how above it all and 'adult' they are because they are pacifist. That's fine if you're not into violence but BTFO with the preaching and condescending quips to people that aren't pacifists.

Mask

Name and shame them, get them fired and ostracised from their community and don't forget to kick their teeth out while you're at it.

Again if you lose the moderates that way THEY WERE NEVER ON YOUR SIDE TO BEGIN WITH

This a thousand times.

A large portion of the "left" feel no different than neo-nazi fucks beyond faking politeness in public. They still will call you slurs behind your back and not give the slightest fuck when some pre teen black kid gets shot by a cop.

The hypocrisy is disgusting especially because these moderates are the first to jump in with the GOP when it comes time to murder civilians in other countries.

Drone striking a wedding in Yemen? Moderates love it.
Cop shooting an unarmed black child? Moderates don't care.
Punching a wannabe nazi in the face? Moderates hate it.

Ms.Galaxy

And the President didn't even acknowledge them as domestic terrorists after that, and rewards them with dog whistling and avoiding questions about it.

It's normalizing already; someone is dead, dozens are hurt, and people are shrugging off the act of terror those Nazis brought as an unfortunate series of events.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People

Which is in no way normal. Which caused outrage from all sides except the White House. The lack of outrage from the White House is also not normal, and we should rage against that. We should not normalize violence.

Ugg, I can't stop posting, I'm really trying to.

Seik

Banned
I'd like someone to punch him in the face please.

Just a punch, like the ones that would dislodge his jaw.

Oriel

EDIT: Several suggested not allowing them on campus in the first place. The problem is that his group apparently went through all of the proper channels to reserve the space, account for security costs, etc., and that under the law, the university cannot simply refuse them the space (it's all addressed in the link I provided)

Yeah, well done America. This is the reason why the world increasingly sees the US as a fucking joke and an embarrassment to the rest of humanity. Peddling hate speech is NOT a human right!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

"Normalizing political violence"

Yeah, right.

Meanwhile, here you are trying to normalize Nazism and white supremacy as simply another political stance worthy of debate and entitled to freedom of speech. There are some things that simply must be shut down and not recognized. This is one of them.

Anung

Un Rama
Nazis don't understand conversation.

Race hate isn't a rational thing. You cannot have a rational conversation with these people and make them see reason. The stance of genocide isnt reasonable and the fact both-siders think there is a middle ground that can be reached between normal person and genocidal prick makes me sick.

Obliterate his jawline with a fist.

Sianos

how many people do nazis have to kill this time to be taken as a threat against humanity

because i remember how many it was last time

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's crazy to see how easily people are willing to jump on the 'lol punch Nazis I'm the Bear Jew' and not see any problem with the idea of normalising political violence.
84WgFXm.gif

ZOONAMI

Which is in no way normal. Which caused outrage from all sides except the White House. The lack of outrage from the White House is also not normal, and we should rage against that. We should not normalize violence.

Ugg, I can't stop posting, I'm really trying to.

It actually is kind of normal for white supremacists. Mosque attacked last week in Minneapolis. Dylan Roof. White supremacists shooting at BLM protestors, beating counter protestors, stabbing counter protestors, Quebec attack, etc.

Oh here's a list of 39 ws attacks. http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat..._white_extremist_terror_here_you_go_sean.html

Violence worked against Nazis in the 40s, it'll work now.
Violence worked in the '40's because we carpet bombed their cities, killed them on the battlefield, hunted down and tried and hung them after the war, and split up their country. A few skirmishes at a rally isn't going to cut it.

Lowmelody

Violence worked in the '40's because we carpet bombed their cities, killed them on the battlefield, hunted down and tried and hung them after the war, and split up their country. A few skirmishes at a rally isn't going to cut it.

Because they were allowed to grow and fester in the first place. Which is where we find ourselves again with many preaching to make the same mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom