• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Richard Spencer may be rallying at Univ. of Florida next...what is the way forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOONAMI

The protection of the students and staff outweighs the right to what will probably be violent assembly.

This is how you win a lawsuit on not letting nazis chill at a university. Hey, honorable judge, they're fucking nazis. They aren't peaceful.

border

Why have they picked Gainesville FL? Is there are reason to choose that as a flashpoint, or do they just have really lax laws about reserving public space?

UberTag

Are colleges legally incapable of just saying "No" to these dipshits or something?
They're incapable of saying "No" to money. And until someone whose money they value more threatens to take that money away from them for laying out the red carpet for Nazis, they'll continue to find ways to welcome dipshits with wallets in hand and concerned letters to the community for everyone else.

People need to show up with video cameras. Scan the whole crowd in plain view. Maybe hold up a sign that says "Smile for your employer" or something.
Print out some "You Nazi Scum Are All Getting Fired or Your Employers Will Be Outed for Employing Nazis" signs and hold them aloft high.
And then point and laugh at the future unemployed with big, bright smiles.

Counter Protest and let Richard Spencer and his followers know that people won't take his shit. Oh and punch him in the face if you can.

People need to show up with video cameras. Scan the whole crowd in plain view. Maybe hold up a sign that says "Smile for your employer" or something.
This too.

Even though it is a public university, surely they (the Nazis) can't just rock up to any room in the campus and start lecturing/seig-heiling? The university should be within its rights to turn down any request, I would have thought or do they have to accept any request to talk from any terrorist organisation?

LiK

Even though it is a public university, surely they (the Nazis) can't just rock up to any room in the campus and start lecturing/seig-heiling? The university should be within its rights to turn down any request, I would have thought or do they have to accept any request to talk from any terrorist organisation?

Exactly, what if someone wants to do a rally supporting ISIS? Would that be allowed? No it wouldn't.

If my school has allowed gatherings of these cretins while I was enrolled I'd have been heading down to the transfer office so damn fast their heads would spin.

One idea is to have a rally on the other side of campus at the same time (or maybe the day before) that celebrates diversity. Make it 10x as big. Make that rally the story instead.

"Reserving space" at a college means that they received money. The University president is complicit to terrorists, and if/when any violence happens, it is on his head.

"Reserving space" at a college means that they received money. The University president is complicit to terrorists, and if/when any violence happens, it is on his head.

The University President doesn't seem to have a choice in the matter?

Unless I'm reading this wrong.

One idea is to have a rally on the other side of campus at the same time (or maybe the day before) that celebrates diversity. Make it 10x as big. Make that rally the story instead.

Exactly this. Get some big name music acts while you're at it. Authorities and school officials should be planning that shit.

Get Beyoncé, Springsteen, Foo Fighters, whatever. Chant No Nazis and have some positivity and love.

I get the punch a nazi sentiment, I really do. But if you study some history you will find that during the rise of the nazis the brownshirts had ready and willing dudes to brawl with in the young communists. It was a violent and polarized environment.

Try fighting hate with some love instead.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Large, peaceful counter-protests. Seriously.

giphy.gif

This is not the answer. We're in a never-ending competition for hearts and minds, particularly of the impressionable youth. Racist use events like this to argue (with the greatest hypocrisy) that the left are violently silencing free speech, and they attract young, often disillusioned, white people to their cause. Those same young dumb people don't have to go that way, and we should do everything in our power to ensure that they don't. Even though he deserves it and much worse, punching Richard Spencer (and his ilk) is not the answer.

If the right continue in their violence and the left does not engage in it, the left wins the hearts and minds game.

I know freedom of speech is sacrosanct in the USA, but does that really include hate speech as well?! These fuckers are literal Nazis and they should be disallowed any legitimate platform whatsoever. Like, imagine the shitshow is some Muslim extremists hired out a venue to parade their beliefs and call westerners infidels who deserve to be killed, and how fucking obviously differently it would be treated. These cunts are the same thing.

Karkador

Banned
They don't even show up in hoods anymore and are open about their racism on social media.

I've seen that too, but it seems to me like there is still some 'plausible deniability' in being a shithead on the internet. They could claim they were hacked, or not use their real name, delete the posts, or claim "it was at joke!"

And even though they show their faces at these rallies, they aren't being named and can assume some anonymity in a crowd. There also isn't really a record of their attendance, if they happen to evade cameras or wear a mask or helmet.

Registration at these events with a valid ID would put them at a specific time and place, no way to deny it.

Kusagari

If it wasn't impossible for me to get out of work, I'd make the six hour drive.

Hits closer than ever to see this happening at my alma mater.

Toxi

Banned

This is not the answer. We're in a never-ending competition for hearts and minds, particularly of the impressionable youth. Racist use events like this to argue (with the greatest hypocrisy) that the left are violently silencing free speech, and they attract young, often disillusioned, white people to their cause. Those same young dumb people don't have to go that way, and we should do everything in our power to ensure that they don't. Even though he deserves it and much worse, punching Richard Spencer (and his ilk) is not the answer.

If the right continue in their violence and the left does not engage in it, the left wins the hearts and minds game.
How anyone can spout this bullshit after the POTUS refused to specifically condemn the violent white supremacists at Charlottesville is mind-boggling.

Richard Spencer laid low quite some time after that punch. It did far more to dissuade him than any words.

Nepenthe

The problem with assuming that this is a hearts and minds game is assuming that everyone is playing in good faith. The right is not, and a good deal of their constituents are not. They are in this to piss off liberals and be given as much reign as possible to beat and kill minorities.

Stop taking the bait.

thefro

Peacefully counter protest and video-tape all the nazis, find out who they are and make sure their employer/future employer knows.

Nazis only understand violence. The world has been through this already. They don't care about conversation.

How did you ever pass any history class.

You are so goddamn naive, it's unbearable.

Not

Banned

Would you like to read an enormous and comprehensive counter-argument to what you're saying?

Start on this page. Scroll down. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418784&page=36

It continues for fifteen pages. At least. Settle in.

You guys realize that the university is public and people can legally protest there, right?

That being said I don't it's going to be peaceful after yesterday
Yes I also realize that Richard Spencer is a terrorist and the university shouldn't allow him there.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
How anyone can spout this bullshit after the POTUS refused to condemn the white supremacists at Charlottesville is mind-boggling.

I don't even know how to address this. POTUS is a piece of shit dumbass and their are white nationalists in the white house. The "game" is to convince people of that. That's how democracy works.

What's your point? Do you think beating white nationalist will affect change? It won't. We have real fucking problems in this country and poor black people are the victims. Do you know what the problems are? Have you thought about the solutions? The primal instinct is to hit back, I understand that, but do you seriously think that affects change? That brings funding for poverty and education to our ghettos? That ensures black people are given equal treatment in employment? People on the right don't even understand the problems, much less the solutions. Hit back if you want to cripple the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom