• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, Which Version Of Mario 64 Is Best?

The N64 version. The new version's hit or miss textures can't make up for the solid controls of the original.

But if you just want minigames, get the DS one.

spad3

DS Version. Easy.

Lets you play as 4 characters each with their own abilities, minigames, and much better visuals.

Unlocking Luigi in that game was so fucking dope.

Forget considering either version based on extra content, or controls, those are only skin-deep comparisons. It goes further than that.

The DS version messed with the level designs to accommodate the ill-suited controls (some platforms were made larger for example) but everything else added either did nothing for the game or took away from it. For example, the extra characters mess with the carefully designed level structures - one platform in Snowman's land once required Mario to bounce off an enemy and twirl gracefully towards it, now it can easily be circumvented using Luigi. Likewise a lot of the challenge was dumbed down, perhaps patronisingly so. Balloon power-ups were placed in locations where Mario once had to deftly wall jump, among other changes. Basically, the DS version asked less from its players, in a game that's totally about experimentation and mastery of the controls.

And the overall aesthetic of Mario 64 DS lacks the charm of the original. Mario 64 had textures that were designed to be blurred, and DS lacks texture filtering. The new textures change the look of the game a tad too much in some areas. Likewise its character models are a product of a time when Nintendo was finding its feet with 3D rendering and design.

Mario 64 DS is still a great game. But it's just such an awkward adaptation, back when Nintendo was probably unsure of what the DS was actually for.

tl;dr: You should play the N64 original. The DS version fundamentally waters down the level designs and expects less from you, the player.

Some of the minigames from Super Mario 64 DS ended up in New Super Mario Bros and indeed they are good. Some of the SM64 DS ones need you to actually play SM64 DS to unlock them.

For official releases from a technical perspective Wii VC (as long as you're not PAL because Wii VC was nearly all shitty 50Hz) rendered at 640x480 and instances of slowdown eliminated (but the slowdown was not anything major and despite the N64 era being sub 20 fps a lot of the time I recalled SM64 being a stable 30).

Never tried playing it with a Classic Controller but Gamecube controller works well.

I find it hard to say which is better because the DS version has so many changs it feels like a new game but using the old maps and stages.

I honestly prefer the original because it's whatI played the most.

Godcannon

So the consensus seems to be that the controls sort of make the DS version inferior, despite more content. Ok got it.

So playing with the Wii U gamepad, I'd be restricted to using the d-pad? Or the controls are just more fluid on the DS version?

Wii u 64 version is the way to go imo. You'll get a full screen, better controls, and better graphics.

I tried the DS version because my friend recommended it, but instantly got a refund and went with the 64 version instead. I couldn't stand the delayed movement and screen tearing.

I think most people that enjoyed the DS version actually played it on a DS.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I prefer the DS version on a 3DS for the slide pad.

3ds-circle-pad.jpg

So you would say the analog stick support is good in the 3DS version? Should translate well to a proper analog stick?

I played the DS version with the infamous thumb stick and I can tell you, it's not worth it. Take the N64 version instead.

vF3u0Ay.jpg

Is this what you mean by the infamous thumb stick? Or do you mean the 3DS slide pad? Bad analog support then?

For me this would be the key for this decision, and everyone mentioning DS digital controls or run buttons isn't really helping. Mario 64 DS has analog control support. The question is: how well does it translate across various sticks etc in emulation.

daTRUballin

You should play the original. That way you can experience the game the original way it was meant to be.

I've never played the DS version myself, but my friend has and he showed some of the game to me. He doesn't like the DS version as much, and from what I've seen and heard, it's not a bad remake necessarily, but the original is still probably better. Keep in mind he played it on an emulator though, so that might've hindered some of the experience for him.

C.Mongler

They're practically different games, honestly. It's been a while since I've played the DS one, but it lays out the game slightly different, there's multiple characters you can swap between, and it has some fun little minigames they added. The controls are dogshit though. You get used to them after a while on the DS (imo), but I'm not sure how well they would translate to the Wii U. Just get the OG, unadulterated N64 version honestly. While I think the DS version is a good game, it's not as good and focused as the classic. If you're feelin' up for another run once you beat it down the line, then check out the DS one too.

Zutrax

DS version played on a 3DS or Wii-U virtual console so you can use the fully directional pad or control stick instead of a D-Pad.

It still controls as if it were D-Pad controls, but it does feel a lot better than actually using the D-Pad. I just like how much more they change and add to the game in the DS version, and the mini games and multiplayer are really fun.

N64 has nostalgia and a it's better controls going for it, but I never really had as much of a problem with the controls on the DS version as others seem to.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The amazing controls and moveset are such big parts of why it's one of the best platformers ever made, so N64 version for sure. The DS version is just too inferior in that regard, the other stuff added to it can't make up for that.

I just replayed the N64 version a few months back, still amazingly fun to play.

Poppy

i dont get why people think adding needless bullshit to a game that already has a good amount of content and making the controls worse is an upgrade

like hey lets take one of the greatest games of all time and just fuck it all up, its better now right

i dont like the ds version at all but even were i to be the most charitable i could be, the best i could say about it compared to mario 64 is that it is just different

Hylian7

3ds-circle-pad.jpg

So you would say the analog stick support is good in the 3DS version? Should translate well to a proper analog stick?

The 3DS Circle Pad does not, never has, and never will give analog control in Super Mario 64 DS.

All the Circle Pad does on DS games is act exactly like the D-pad as far as what control inputs the game sees.

DJ_Lae

vF3u0Ay.jpg

Is this what you mean by the infamous thumb stick? Or do you mean the 3DS slide pad? Bad analog support then?

For me this would be the key for this decision, and everyone mentioning DS digital controls or run buttons isn't really helping. Mario 64 DS has analog control support. The question is: how well does it translate across various sticks etc in emulation.

Shit, that picture just released a ton of bad memories.

It was the only way to get some semblance of fine control out of that game but holy shit was it a horrible solution.

HotHamBoy

The DS versions is the worst version because it has digital movement in a game designed for an analog stick.

The extra characters are cute but Mario is still the best way to experience the game.

The minigames are worthless in 2017.

Feffe

If you use Drastic (DS Android emulator, which is surprisingly excellent) you have the option to map the analog touch movement to a stick.

You can also increase the resolution which is pretty good

It might've been said already, but:

Super Mario 64 was designed around the N64's Analog Stick. This allowed for fine 3D movement of Mario, and as such, the game's challenges are designed around analog movement.

Super Mario 64 DS is a butchered version of Mario 64 in the controls department. If you play it with the Wii U's analog stick, it will be emulating a Digital Pad, which does not allow for much of a range of motion. The additions to the game do not make up for the trade in controls.

Until Super Mario 64 DS gets some sort of re-release with proper analog controls, it's nothing more than wasted potential. Go for N64 every time.

HotHamBoy

DS Version. More characters, extra levels, and the minigames. The controls are inferior to the N64 version, but it is by no means unplayable.

Holy shit, people, the controls are the game. It was Mario 64 that made the analog stick.

All that other shit is meaningless if it means a worse gameplay experience.

You can't go wrong with either version, the DS version does have neutered movement, but the slight tweaks to the controls (Mario being just a bit less slippery, Sunshine/Galaxy walljumps, ability to recenter the camera behind you) and the levels inheritly being more open with less precise movements until the last set of worlds helps with getting used to the dpad

Unless someone makes a romhack of the N64 version that backports most of the DS content, then there's no definitive way of playing this game

Emulation isn't accurate enough on the Wii U version; the HUD is wrong.

The best way to play is on N64 with an UltraHDMI set to 1080p and GameShark codes to remove AA, set the output to anamorphic widescreen and undo the inverted controls.

... or emulation.

I reckon waiting until next year's N64 Mini is a good starting point for first time players.

fantastico

I'd recommend buying it on the old Wii Virtual Console, not Wii U, if it's still possible.

It's the same as the Wii U VC version (N64 @ higher resolution) but it's not darkened like the N64 VC titles on Wii U eShop.
It is indeed still possible - I did it earlier this week for the same reason you gave

I like the DS version better.

The map at the bottom helps. It's also more aesthetically pleasing to me.

When I got a Wii the three games I played other than Wii Sports were wii Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime GameCube and Mario 64 VC.

fester

Banned
Mario 64 really needed a definitive 3DS version made along the same lines of Zelda OoT and MM - would have made life easier for the OP.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The 3DS Circle Pad does not, never has, and never will give analog control in Super Mario 64 DS.

All the Circle Pad does on DS games is act exactly like the D-pad as far as what control inputs the game sees.

I'd like to thank you for finally clearing this up for me. I'm not sure who gave me the wrong impression years ago.

N64 for sure. Get the version on Wii VC.

Because when they put out the N64 Classic next year I bet they will also release n64 Classic Controllers that use that same port.

cHinzo

The DS imo. Some minigames were really addicting, playing with multiple characters is fun and there were 150 stars to collect.

Managed to 100% complete is on the old DS. didn't have much problems with the controls as long as u re-center the camera from time to time.

N64 version on an n64 on a crt. I found the DS version pales in comparison. Significantly worse graphics and terrible controls. What good does mini games and extra characters do when the core experience is so much inferior.

FSLink

Banned
The additional characters and minigames are great in the DS version. Normally I'd go with the more content but the additional stars sucking and the controls sucking (omfg stop saying the 3DS offers analog controls to the DS version you guys, it does NOT) pushes me to the N64 version everytime.

Movement is just so fun in SM64 and you lose that with the DS version where it becomes uncomfortable and/or a chore.

Yep. Though if you have the DS version it's a bit more comfortable despite the digital movement. I would use a romhack to allow running by default and Y to walk.... pretty sure that exists.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The DS version was a generation too early. Had it come out on the 3DS instead it’d have been perfect. Better visuals, proper analog support without needing a run button... I mean the original was made to show off what an analog stick could do. It made no sense to release it on something with inferior controls. If anything the DS version should have convinced Nintendo to put an analog stick on the original DS just for that reason.

goldenpp72

64 easily. The controls in the DS game are shit, the new chars make the game more of a slog to get through adding very Banjo Tooie like bullshit in the process, the new content is mostly all shit, it's a botch job all around aside the fun mini games for the touchscreen.

Top Bottom