• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Switch accessory manufacturer, Mopad, shared alleged Switch 2 info on their Bilibili page: Physical BC, 1080p screen, new buttons on JoyCons

Update: Mobapad has put an EN article directly on their website with all the Switch 2 details they've gotten their hands on - https://www.mobapad.com/blogs/the-l...witch-2/the-latest-scoop-on-nintendo-switch-2

"We, like everyone else, are eagerly anticipating accurate information about the Switch 2!

In the process of developing the next-generation console controller, Mobapad has also acquired a lot of firsthand information about the Switch 2, and now we're here to share it with everyone.
  1. The Switch 2 will continue to support existing Joy-Cons and the Pro Controller, still equipped with ALPS dual-axis linear motors for HD rumble.
  2. The cartridge slot of the Switch 2 will support backward compatibility with physical Switch game cartridges, ensuring compatibility with players' existing game libraries, including digital versions. However, the second-generation cartridges may not be compatible with the first-generation console.
  3. The new version of Joy-Con has a larger volume, and the sliding rail structure has been changed to magnetic suction. The SL and SR buttons are metal buttons. Magnetic suction is achieved through electromagnetic suction technology, controlled by electric current. It's worth noting that, in addition to the L, ZL, R, and ZR buttons on the sides of the Joy-Con controller, a third button has been added on both the left and right sides.
8Xklaoa.png

Additionally, below the HOME button on the right Joy-Con, there is an additional function button!

rsiJmcw.png

1. The bottom of the Switch 2 will still feature a USB-C port for docking, and the new generation dock will undergo minor changes in appearance while enhancing performance, supporting 4K resolution.
  2. The new dock will feature a damping bracket on the back, allowing for a greater range of adjustable angles.
  3. The screen will be upgraded to an 8-inch display, supporting 1080P resolution.
These are just some of the hardware information we've got, and not the full extent.

From a hardware perspective, the Switch 2 inherits the dual-mode feature of its predecessor, continuing Nintendo's conservative approach to hardware."

This was noticed and posted on era by --R a short while ago.

The original info was up since a couple of days ago on Mobapad's Facebook, but it looks they've reposted it on their Bilibili page today.

Here's a summary of what they posted:
  1. The Bluetooth chip of Switch 2 still supports existing Joy-Con and Pro controllers, and still features HD vibration (ALPS dual-axis linear motor).
  2. Switch 2 has backwards compatibility with Switch 1 cartridges, but Switch 2 cartridges will be different and won't fit on a Switch 1.
  3. The new joycons are larger and are magnetically attached to the console with an electromagnet. The SL and SR buttons are metallic now, and there's a new button behind each joycon (location where the button is) and a new button below the home button on the right joycon (location where the button is).
  4. The dock still has an USB-C port and will also support 4K image output.
  5. The new kickstand also has a damping bracket on the back for improved angle adjustment.
  6. The screen is bigger, up to 8 inches and the resolution is upgraded to 1080p.
Source - https://www.bilibili.com/opus/925030436838572049
Archive of the page in case it gets removed

As with all the Switch 2 rumors take it with a grain of salt.

Edit: Small typo in the title - The manufacturer is Mobapad and not Mopad. The title is too long anyways so I won't ask a mod to edit out the typo.

Last edited:
I wonder what that button on the rear of the joycon will be used for, seems too high for a back/paddle but does it need to be that large simply to detach them?

Drell

Hmm I hope the battery will be enough to offer us a decent play time with the extra power and the 1080p screen. I still think 720p is enough for a portable console but I won't complain, that's a nice update.

McRazzle

Electromagnet? So do they fall off when the console is off or is there some serious vampire power drain on the battery?

Possibly an electropermanent magnet.
Electrical charge is only used when turning the magnet "on/off".

Also, the SL and SR buttons might have magnets in them since their metallic, which could be for adaptive triggers like in the PS5 Dual Sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electropermanent_magnet#

An electropermanent magnet or EPM is a type of permanent magnet in which the external magnetic field can be switched on or off by a pulse of electric current in a wire winding around part of the magnet.

EPM_6.png

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Physical BC is great for switch games, no mention of an sd card slot isn't concerning yet.

Switch 2 games digital download only but a physical slot for Nintendo proprietary storage?

5lW7Fks.jpeg

Last edited:
Physical BC, hell yes baby. That's what I want to hear. Hardware compatibility with the old joy-cons too? Fire.

Not surprised at all that they are using a slightly different style cartridge that can't fit in the original switch, exactly what was done with DS to 3DS which is what I would have anticipated.

Day 0!

Edit: I would love to see adaptive triggers in the next Nintendo system, it's one of my favorite things about the PlayStation 5.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

I was thinking about something purely mechanic, just like the base magnets in precision instruments (half a turn to align magnets to create the field) but EPM seems plausible, similar to the portable magnetic drills. Kind of wondering if they would interfere with electronics considering it should be somewhat powerful without rails.

splattered

Wonder how they're gonna fit call of duty on this... larger internal storage? Larger storage on switch 2 cartridges?

Chukhopops

Physical BC would bring new life to a ton of Switch games with really bad performance.

I don’t know if it’s true but if it is, I’m in. I’m also in if it’s not true and there’s only license-based BC.

This was noticed and posted on era by --R a short while ago.

The original info was up since a couple of days ago on Mobapad's Facebook, but it looks they've reposted it on their Bilibili page today.

Here's a summary of what they posted:
  1. The Bluetooth chip of Switch 2 still supports existing Joy-Con and Pro controllers, and still features HD vibration (ALPS dual-axis linear motor).
  2. Switch 2 has backwards compatibility with Switch 1 cartridges, but Switch 2 cartridges will be different and won't fit on a Switch 1.
  3. The new joycons are larger and are magnetically attached to the console with an electromagnet. The SL and SR buttons are metallic now, and there's a new button behind each joycon (location where the button is) and a new button below the home button on the right joycon (location where the button is).
  4. The dock still has an USB-C port and will also support 4K image output.
  5. The new kickstand also has a damping bracket on the back for improved angle adjustment.
  6. The screen is bigger, up to 8 inches and the resolution is upgraded to 1080p.
Source - https://www.bilibili.com/opus/925030436838572049
Archive of the page in case it gets removed

As with all the Switch 2 rumors take it with a grain of salt.

Edit: Small typo in the title - The manufacturer is Mobapad and not Mopad. The title is too long anyways so I won't ask a mod to edit out the typo.
Fuck I was hoping they didn't go 1080p, unfortunate but great for indie games. Will Nintendo be the first console maker to have paddles standard on the controller (back buttons) it's only 2 paddles instead of the standard 4 but something is better than nothing.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If its only physical BC I'm gonna going to throw a fit
They've said repeatedly that the reasons for them revamping their account system when Switch came out was to offer players long term support or something within those lines, that basically confirmed Switch 2 backward compatibility before even Switch was announced, I don't get the constant "concerns" some of you show regarding it

Last edited:

flipsake

Neo Member
I know it's off topic but have Nintendo ever said anything official about the prospect of introducing system wide achievements? Have they stated they are against them or is there any possibility of having them on Switch 2?

Hmm I hope the battery will be enough to offer us a decent play time with the extra power and the 1080p screen. I still think 720p is enough for a portable console but I won't complain, that's a nice update.

1080p is important it's gonna make a big difference on a small screen...720 is "enough" but not quite enough to have excellent image quality.

flipsake

Neo Member
I think achievements would be a great way to encourage people to buy a Switch 2 is they could earn achievements by playing their older games on the new console.

Last edited:
I know it's off topic but have Nintendo ever said anything official about the prospect of introducing system wide achievements? Have they stated they are against them or is there any possibility of having them on Switch 2?
They talked about adding them on the Switch before launch. Don’t know what ever happened with it…and it’s also the reason I don’t play on the Switch. If they add on the Switch 2 I’m in, if not, I have no interest.

They've said repeatedly that the reasons for them revamping their account system when Switch came out was to offer players long term support or something within those lines, that basically confirmed Switch 2 backward compatibility before even Switch was announced, I don't get the constant "concerns" some of you show regarding it

What I'm concerned about is ...what do they mean by "Physical BC"? Does that mean ONLY physical will be BC? Or does that mean "full BC- both digital and physical"??

Because I own a massive library on digital.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What I'm concerned about is ...what do they mean by "Physical BC"? Does that mean ONLY physical will be BC? Or does that mean "full BC- both digital and physical"??

There is exactly a 0% chance that they would offer physical BC and not digital BC.

Re magnets:
Fwiw, I have a PIMAX Portal, which is the exact form factor as a Switch, but it has magnetic joy cons. They’re not electromagnet or anything, just some pretty strong magnets. It works great imo. I’ve never had them come off the console by accident, plus they magnetically connect to each other, making a small standard controller. (Sadly the device itself sucks because the buttons are hot ass.)

Kataploom

Gold Member

Obviously both, considering Nintendo's own words regarding building long term trust with customers using their account system. I don't see how one should be considered honestly.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Also, the SL and SR buttons might have magnets in them since their metallic, which could be for adaptive triggers like in the PS5 Dual Sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electropermanent_magnet#

An electropermanent magnet or EPM is a type of permanent magnet in which the external magnetic field can be switched on or off by a pulse of electric current in a wire winding around part of the magnet.

EPM_6.png
I’m too dumb to read words, but I found this 1 minute video that explains everything for any other dipshits like me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Physical BC, hell yes baby. That's what I want to hear. Hardware compatibility with the old joy-cons too? Fire.

Not surprised at all that they are using a slightly different style cartridge that can't fit in the original switch, exactly what was done with DS to 3DS which is what I would have anticipated.

Day 0!

Edit: I would love to see adaptive triggers in the next Nintendo system, it's one of my favorite things about the PlayStation 5.
Yeah let's go for 60 minutes battery life.

Top Bottom