• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

cackhyena

Like I said, it worked, and I used it in 2011.

So this is where we're at now? We openly acknowledge that these features existed on other platforms over half a fucking decade ago, just pretend it sucked until we did it!

I know! Let's get a real live "android person" to shit on the features and prove it sucked until we came along and did it? Suckers.

You seem to have your priorities straight.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Does anyone have a good video of someone using the X exclusively with one hand? I want to know how unlocking and the gestures work (aka all the uses that the home button had) when only using one hand. All the videos I see is people using two hands, which I normally never do.

kingocfs

Depends on the definition of security you are using. You can make an argument for either being less secure than the other.

If FaceID alone was enough, Apple wouldn't have been trying to make TouchID work under the screen for the last year

I think obtaining a fingerprint from a mark is easier than obtaining a 3D death mask of their face and then building a latex version that fools the sensor. This may change I expect some researcher to say in the next 12 months that from a dozen face pictures their software can 3D print a mask that will fool the sensor however as of now I think it's likely to be more secure.

All it takes is grabbing a phone and pointing it at someone's face, you don't even need to touch them. Watch some of the demo from Verge yesterday, the guy picks it up and nonchalantly points it at the employee's face and it unlocks instantly. That's just no bueno.

Didn't they jokingly say that if you had an evil twin you would need to use the passcode? The fact that they had to submit to the idea that passcodes become more important with no Touch ID by default is bad.

Future

considering the iphone 8 just has some half-useful inductive charging and a slightly faster chip, why not stick with the 7 for $150 less? Now you're $450 less than the X.

I have the 7, but also on the upgrade plan. So I could:

- keep the 7 and sell it next year. Don't know if I will be diligent enough to sell though
- trade for the 8 for no additional immediate cost, but get 1 more year of payments.
- trade for the X and increase my payment a month

I'll probably wait to see the X screen in person. Feature wise it's not really impressing though, and early impressions seem to confirm. The 8 has all the same core features beyond improved camera for face id and talking emojis which currently sounds underwhelming

So it's more a question of if dat screen is really all that.

I have the 7, but also on the upgrade plan. So I could:

- keep the 7 and sell it next year. Don't know if I will be diligent enough to sell though
- trade for the 8 for no additional immediate cost, but get 1 more year of payments.
- trade for the X and increase my payment a month

I'll probably wait to see the X screen in person. Feature wise it's not really impressing though, and early impressions seem to confirm. The 8 has all the same core features beyond improved camera for face id and talking emojis which currently sounds underwhelming

So it's more a question of if dat screen is really all that.

Isn't the only difference between 7 and 8 the faster chip?

Future

Better Camera
Better Screen
Qi Charging

Also has fast charging if you bother to get the dongles.

Yeah if I wasn't on the upgrade plan I probably wouldn't flat out purchase it, since the 7 still seems plenty fast. But since I can "trade" mine in a bit early it may be worth it for a few of these things. I just know I'm not really on point in maximizing gains by selling my old phones. I still have my old iPhone 6 in a drawer somewhere.

Everyone on the upgrade plan thinking about this right now haha.

eizarus

Banned
As stupid as the animoji thing is, I predict that's something every phone will do in 5 years, it's the obvious next step in social media to have hate speech spewing from anonymous 3d avatars.
I find it amusing how we rolled back from MSN emoticons to slowly going down (and now exceeding I guess) that path again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is having an OLED screen on a phone worth $300 more? Not to me.

it could be less analytical than that. Maybe the move to an 'all screen' has an impact on you like when they moved to laminated displays. 'just' a bit closer to the surface but it feels a lot different in use.

There is something pretty nice about using the Galaxy S8, just because of the amount of screen in front of you - makes it more about the content maybe? Difficult to elaborate.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Afaik fingerprints are unique however the resolution and accuracy of the sensor along with the number of features picked to compare introduce errors which increase the the chances of a match to a false fingerprint, especially if you want to almost never fail matching a true fingerprint.

So it's a balancing act and trades off convenience against chance to be fooled.

it's not the resolution.. however it is unique points. You can't do a 100% fingerprint comparison for security because of all of the factors.. cleanliness of the scanner, orientation and grip of the print, placement of the print, etc AND hit a sub-500ms processing time. So they use unique reference points on the print, compute them mathematically and compare that to the value stored in the secure enclave. as long as it is with an acceptable variance, it passes.

So take that same thing and apply it to a very similar print or variably a "lightning in a bottle" of conditions that creates an acceptable variance on a different print.. to which apple calculates is a 1:50,000 chance. I would definitely call 1:50,000 secure. Creating a laytex facsimile of your print is more likely than hitting someone with a mathematically compatible print/circumstance.

So presumably because of the dot/depth scanner.. iris recognition, etc.. FaceID is able to create more unique points (hence twins can't fake it out) and because of the ML logic built into the CPU core, can still calculate those greater unique points close to as fast as TouchID.

It really is amazing. I get people have a hard time with change... and previous attempts at facial recognition are ridiculously easy to fool.. But Apple's hardware here is impressive as hell.. provided accuracy and speed are on point, people are going to flip their shit. And the best part is accuracy is GUARANTEED to improve because of the ML portion. So what's now "we'll see" will likely in 6 months be "I could never see going back"

The big fail is that apple should be showcasing the convenience not the "coolness". Don't hold it up to your face 6 times to show it off.. Pay with something in apple pay and show how effortless it is (granted them having shown it for a whopping 24 hours so far... patience and all of that)

Lum1n3s

$48 bucks on the ATT next plan for 24 months(256gb,) yikes I'm afraid to see what the 16 month plan is or whatever term the lesser one is.

Ambitious

I'm fine with the notch. I'm not fine with the notch covering part of fullscreen videos in landscape mode. That's just annoying.

Not convinced by this thing. I guess I'll keep my 5s for the time being.

Two Words

You know where FaceID is gonna be really bad? When people are driving. Yes, people shouldn't be on their phones while driving, but we already know that many will do it. FaceID is going to require them to let ok at their phone to unlock it.

Bsigg12

You know where FaceID is gonna be really bad? When people are driving. Yes, people shouldn't be on their phones while driving, but we already know that many will do it. FaceID is going to require them to let ok at their phone to unlock it.

Only if they decide to use FaceID to unlock the phone.

If this works as well as is suggested and all it takes is a glance at the screen I don't see the issue.

Using your phone when driving is so fucking stupid but it is something that has to be considered. Amazing it isn't federal law that it is illegal in the US.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
But.. if they're using their phone in the car they're going to inevitably glance at it anyways, if just to guide their hand to unlock it or interact with it as they normally would?

Alebrije

The X does not offers somenting that is already on the market. It looks nice but for $1,000 U.S. and doing nothing new will keep my old 5s.

eizarus

Banned
Hopefully it deters people from using their phones while driving. I'm interested to see how it works with a phone holder though. Will it continuously unlock as you randomly glance at it while driving?

Two Words

If this works as well as is suggested and all it takes is a glance at the screen I don't see the issue.

Using your phone when driving is so fucking stupid but it is something that has to be considered. Amazing it isn't federal law that it is illegal in the US.

But.. if they're using their phone in the car they're going to inevitably glance at it anyways, if just to guide their hand to unlock it or interact with it as they normally would?
A lot of people are able to text without looking.

Dougald

All it takes is grabbing a phone and pointing it at someone's face, you don't even need to touch them. Watch some of the demo from Verge yesterday, the guy picks it up and nonchalantly points it at the employee's face and it unlocks instantly. That's just no bueno.

Didn't they jokingly say that if you had an evil twin you would need to use the passcode? The fact that they had to submit to the idea that passcodes become more important with no Touch ID by default is bad.

Yeah, this is what I was referring to by "depends what you mean about security" - same way a 30-digit random password is nominally more secure, but if that forces people to put them on post-its it's definitely not

As someone who does actually have an "evil" twin in the family that line got a sad laugh from me

Oxn

So many rich people here.

That price is very expensive especially for us Euro people

Not rich, just people with terrible priorities.

I have the money, and it really isnt a problem to spend 1k plus for me. This phone just doesn't have the value of a 1K plus phone.

Regardless of whether you use touchid or faceid you will look at your phone at some point

Two Words

Regardless of whether you use touchid or faceid you will look at your phone at some point
Well my point is that these people will now look at their phone even more. Imagine idiots on the road looking at their phones for extended periods of time when FaceID fails to unlock quickly.

Dynamic3

I'm fine with the notch. I'm not fine with the notch covering part of fullscreen videos in landscape mode. That's just annoying.

Why do people keep saying this?

I've seen numerous videos/images where two pillarboxes appear (effectively adding bezels, like every other phone). Further, even with the pillarboxes the screen size is effectively the same size as the 7/8+, yet with a higher pixel density and smaller hardware form factor.

Kyoufu

Well my point is that these people will now look at their phone even more. Imagine idiots on the road looking at their phones for extended periods of time when FaceID fails to unlock quickly.

Idiots will be idiots regardless of which phone they use and how they use it.

mackattk

I've seen numerous videos/images where two pillarboxes appear (effectively adding bezels, like every other phone). Further, even with the pillarboxes the screen size is effectively the same size as the 7/8+, yet with a higher pixel density and smaller hardware form factor.

Plus it is OLED so those parts of the screen are effectively turned off completely.

Two Words

I think it looks much better on the iPhone 6/7/8 where the video fully fills the screen. Especially so on the Plus models at 1920x1080.

Fliesen

You can always choose to not maximize the video, then it should be letterboxed.
The screen on the iPhone X is wider than a regular 16:9 screen, so full screen youtube content shouldn't be cut off, but rather be pillar boxed.

Like, right now, if you were to watch a video that is cinematic wide screen on your phone, there's letterboxed 16:9 and 'fill-screen', which already cuts off the sides of your video.
So, in 'fill-screen' mode, the iPhone still cuts off some of the image, but way less than the phones before it, while in regular viewing mode you'll have a (presumably less) letterboxed video.

I believe this to be the situation on the iPhone 6 with cinematic ratio video content:

full screen
yCBaLQ5.png

fill screen
ewk2kjG.png

and on the iPhone X it will be, i presume:
full screen (smaller black bars compared to the iPhone 6), pillar AND letterboxed (which should look fine due to OLED's deeper blacks)
RNFPeV3.png

fill screen (less of the image cut-off on the sides)
G1ERmp8.png

anything else would be rather absurd. So i'm guessing that's what we're getting. Less of a cut-off (yet with a weird, non-straight cut-off) when using fill screen. Less black bars when using full screen.

Rktk

We can only hope when they careen off that bridge they don't take anyone with them.

dc89

I'll ask here as well as the other thread;
Are UK pre-orders 8am?

Also - are we expecting the X to be very difficult to get hold of at first?

Yeah, looks like I'll be upgrading my 6s to an 8+. Hoping to enroll in that new iPhone upgrade program, but I have to do it at an Apple store.

I'm excited but nervous about the size of the 8+. Think I might need one of those screen protectors that blocks out people trying to look at your screeen.

Charcoal

Lol at people judging others for how they want to spend their money. For most people your phone is one of, if not the most important thing in your pocket.

And why are people assuming that the general population is going to be spending $1000 outright on this, when there's financing available through the carriers and through Apple?

ZOONAMI

How is the screen better? It's exactly the same sans TrueTone.

Also yeah can someone break down what the actual differences are in 7+ vs 8+ camera?

And what is true tone? Just marketing speak for calibration?

I had a 7+ and generally liked it except for running out of space with 32gb, and I may have had a faulty fp scanner. The 8+ still has a scanner right?

Ambitious

You can always choose to not maximize the video, then it should be letterboxed.
The screen on the iPhone X is wider than a regular 16:9 screen, so full screen youtube content shouldn't be cut off, but rather be pillar boxed.

Like, right now, if you were to watch a video that is cinematic wide screen on your phone, there's letterboxed 16:9 and 'fill-screen', which already cuts off the sides of your video.
So, in 'fill-screen' mode, the iPhone still cuts off some of the image, but way less than the phones before it, while in regular viewing mode you'll have a (presumably less) letterboxed video.

I believe this to be the situation on the iPhone 6 with cinematic ratio video content:

and on the iPhone X it will be, i presume:

anything else would be rather absurd. So i'm guessing that's what we're getting. Less of a cut-off (yet with a weird, non-straight cut-off) when using fill screen. Less black bars when using full screen.

I wasn't aware of that. Good to hear. Thanks.

Top Bottom