• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint: 'A Hat in Time' is the N64 Throwback 'Yooka-Laylee' Was Trying to Be

Ivan 3414

This game borrows a lot from Sunshine, and Sunshine is a much better game than Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, so this development does not surprise me.

It looks fine but unless Gears for Breakfast comes out with a statement explaining why Jon is still in the game, I'm out. Odyssey is all I need anyways.

Yooka Laylee felt like your step dad wearing your dead dads skin.

At least my step dad ain't Jontron...

Nope.

Not playing it until Jon Tron is removed.
I dont know, I was watching Vinny from Vinesauce play iy last night and it was just some random npc with like one line and that was it.
Aside from that this game wasn't on my radar, but it looked really fun.

Sou Da

I dont know, I was watching Vinny from Vinesauce play iy last night and it was just some random npc with like one line and that was it.
If they can give me a good reason why JonTron is still in the game, maybe I'll get it.

I've talked to a dev who assured me it was a bit role, I kinda doubt they can outright remove him without a massive hate campaign heading their way.

I've talked to a dev who assured me it was a bit role, I kinda doubt they can outright remove him without a massive hate campaign heading their way.
Yeah I wasnt sure which character it was when watching the stream and of course the chat was just spamming that it was every character on stream.

Aside from that this game wasn't on my radar, but it looked really fun.
Don’t care that it’s a small part. The developer not commenting on it and leaving him in sends the message he has a place in the industry. He does not.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
About to play the game, stream it, all of that. I'll post my impressions to GAF later.

I wish the OT was up as the game is now out on PC.

So much sunshine hate.

Yes sunshine is an incomplete game but it has some brilliant ideas and there's a lot that someone in the business of making a 3D platformer could take from it

As long as it's not the Yoshi levels they drew inspiration from I think this game will be just fine

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Guys I have been watching Giant Bomb East play Sunshine this year. There are cool ideas in that game but a good chunk of it seems bingo bango busted

Crayolan

Guys I have been watching Giant Bomb East play Sunshine this year. There are cool ideas in that game but a good chunk of it seems bingo bango busted

Sunshine suffers primarily from poor mission/objective design. And blue coins. And once you go outside the main worlds some of the level design sucks too.

But the sunshine comparison being used here is in reference to the game's platforming, controls, and movement, which the game absolutely nails. The only other game which can match Sunshine in this regard is Mario 64. Anyone who shits on Sunshine's platforming prowess knows nothing about platforming.

I know they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. They've spent years working on this game, their livelihoods depend on it, and this is the path that causes the least damage. But the most convenient path isn't always the one to be celebrated. They may have done the best they can, and they certainly didn't realize how awful Jontron was when they first accepted his pledge and recorded his VA. Maybe they'll do other things in the future to make up for this. It's just not something I personally want to support.

And to the rest of the people brushing it off as "just a line or two":

mYUTK6F.gif

(Made mostly in jest)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So she had to pummel Yooka to emphasize her point about this game?

Apparently the throwback platformer genre-space has gotten quite cutthroat!

So she had to pummel Yooka to emphasize her point about this game?

She does this since YL releaed on every possible occasion. She hates it and only played the first level or so. I disagree with her taste and arguments so much, it actually makes it hard for me to listen to the podcast she's in. :D

kliklik

Banned
And to the rest of the people brushing it off as "just a line or two" [...]

I don't think it's fair to characterise posts here as "brushing it off". People are merely making a distinction that is meaningful to them. I personally would find it much harder to support if it had no lines at all but one of the devs held those views.

If you don't want to support it, I understand completely. But please don't mistake the sentiments of those who do plan to buy it for not caring at all. I think it's fairly clear that everyone here would prefer if it weren't in the game to begin with, but here we are.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't think it's fair to characterise posts here as "brushing it off". People are merely making a distinction that is meaningful to them. I personally would find it much harder to support if it had no lines at all but one of the devs held those views.

If you don't want to support it, I understand completely. But please don't mistake the sentiments of those who do plan to buy it for not caring at all. I think it's fairly clear that everyone here would prefer if it weren't in the game to begin with, but here we are.

That's kind of where I'm at, but I also understand why they don't because of the super loud side and some contractual obligations. But ultimately I don't care too much as it's not like he's getting sales directly from the game one way or another. People can feel they do, but I guess I just think it's a bit overblown. It'd be one thing if he was getting paid with how this game sold, or he worked on it personally, or anything. As it is, I think it's not that big of an issue, buying the game does not support him in anyway as it were.

jholmes

If you're thinking about buying this game to support the dev because he's such a great guy who somehow got caught up in someone else's racism despite his best efforts, spend a little more time reading up on what's going on here.

Dice//

Banned
And to the rest of the people brushing it off as "just a line or two":

mYUTK6F.gif

(Made mostly in jest)

Like kliklik is saying, I really don't think it should be so black and white either. What about supporting the devs and that this game does indeed look like a lot of fun? :/

I try my best to separate the artist from the content (if I can), and I try to do so on a case by case basis. I hate the shit Jafari said (both as morally repugnant and factually incorrect), but can't hate on the developers who put good hours into this... plus we've barely heard from Jon Tron for a while... whatever he's up to right now seems pretty far off the spotlight.

I'm not gonna talk down to people who want to avoid the game for keeping him in, but I really hope people won't criticize me if I still go ahead and grab it. :X

The big thing I noticed is unlike Yooka-Laylee, every collectible has value in some way. Hourglasses progress you through the game directly, yarn allows you to create hats, you can buy upgrade badges with the normal currency, the tokens unlock music and pallet swaps. Its all useful and rewarding and not stuff you collect just for collection sake. And yeah the only real "Sunshine" thing I really see is the challenge stages that are essentially the FLUUDless platforming levels.

I can't wait to play it.

If you're thinking about buying this game to support the dev because he's such a great guy who somehow got caught up in someone else's racism despite his best efforts, spend a little more time reading up on what's going on here.

This too. the lead creator Mechaslug or whatever he's called is an asshole as well.

Lijik

While I generally agree with Danielles arguments in broad strokes (she hit upon YL not really playing with verticality that much which while i liked the game i have to agree was disappointing) her thoughts on controls between YL and HiT has left me so confused. Just dont agree with her assessments at all. YL feels tight once you get all the standard moves unlocked (its admitedly baffling to have some of the standard parts of Banjos moveset you expect from the getgo locked away for 1/4 of the game) and every version of HiT ive played from the alpha up through the recent speedrunning event has felt kinda floaty and mushy.

While I generally agree with Danielles arguments in broad strokes (she hit upon YL not really playing with verticality that much which while i liked the game i have to agree was disappointing) her thoughts on controls between YL and HiT has left me so confused. Just dont agree with her assessments at all. YL feels tight once you get all the standard moves unlocked (its admitedly baffling to have some of the standard parts of Banjos moveset you expect from the getgo locked away for 1/4 of the game) and every version of HiT ive played from the alpha up through the recent speedrunning event has felt kinda floaty and mushy.

YL controls as tight as you could ever wish for, except for some of the transformations, maybe. I don't understand that criticism at all – I think they were almost perfect. Then again, she didn't really play it so maybe there were some pre-patch glitches I wasn't aware of.

That's kind of where I'm at, but I also understand why they don't because of the super loud side and some contractual obligations. But ultimately I don't care too much as it's not like he's getting sales directly from the game one way or another. People can feel they do, but I guess I just think it's a bit overblown. It'd be one thing if he was getting paid with how this game sold, or he worked on it personally, or anything. As it is, I think it's not that big of an issue, buying the game does not support him in anyway as it were.

For the sake of things, let's just say that in fact it is true, there is a contract signed with JonTron and he got paid to do the role. Maybe there isn't a way to take him out of there. Fair enough. You can still put out a statement saying that you don't share JonTron's world views that came out recently and this deal was made a good 4 years prior of not knowing. Hell, an ex-employee of theirs who hasn't worked on the damn game for a few years now had the courage to say that, so why not the heads of Gears For Breakfast??

All this silence just states that they rather sweep it under the rug and not upset the toxic part of the gaming audience who will give them money instead of condemning JonTron and getting review bombed by them. I know why they chose this path because all they doing is trying to survive as a studio. They have their morals and I have mine. And mine do not sync up with theirs so I'm gonna decline getting their game which is a shame but hey it's my decision....just like it is theirs to stay silent.

Eusis

You shut your filthy mouth. Sunshine is a gift. It is easily in the top 10 best 3d platformers of all time!
To be fair Nintendo at their worst is often better than a lot of other developers on an average day. And with how sorely neglected 3D platformers have been that's an easy one to glide into a top place.

It'd be the lower half of that list though I'd think.

RPGam3r

They've been talking about a Switch version and I'm looking forward to see their official stance on getting the game on there.

It's like a game of telephone in here.

"It takes the good parts of Sunshine"

"Wait, it's like Sunshine? Pass!"

😬

The phenomenon of 2 pieces of media releasing close together with similar themes is fascinating.

Hats for days!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Maybe so but Yooka-Laylee at least had had the gall to remove JonTron from the game and make their stance, which is they don't stand with people who spout racist comments.

Shame JonTron is still in it or else I would have picked it up
eventually

Same.

So they're cowards then and don't care about folks like me, I just don't feel comfortable playing a game with a racist.

As it stand it's tainted

If you want to discuss the game with the devs and others (or complain about the inclusion of JonTron), they have an official Discord now :

https://twitter.com/HatInTime/status/916065599918346240

They don't even have subtitles for the hard of hearing? Okay yeah I am buying this game then.

NotLiquid

They've been talking about a Switch version and I'm looking forward to see their official stance on getting the game on there.

I think we'd have to wait a while. The game runs on UE3 which Switch doesn't officially support. They'd probably have to port it to UE4 and/or do a whole lot of tinkering to get it to work which is time/money I don't imagine they have on them - at least not pre-release. Hopefully the game does well and they'll have the resources to port it.

Objectively bad post >:[

And oh my fucking god, can we have a single thread without bringing in some political shit and talk about the game itself? Every fucking time, man

I guess in this case it may be a bit of a derail, but your response seems to suggests that games are apolitical.

Games unfortunately are not in some vacuum free from politics.

Top Bottom