• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Known Shippable said:
Finally get a day off and the servers go down.

The game is pretty good though. Feels like a cross between Crackdown and Prototype.

Now that sounds interesting to me. I really like how Crackdown plays. Anyways, I haven't been completely sold on this game, but I'm getting closer and closer to giving it a try the more I keep reading comics (I just got into it recently) and reading coverage about the game.

Maybe one of you can convince me to get it.

yencid

GAZERK said:
I keep reading comics (I just got into it recently) and reading coverage about the game.

Maybe one of you can convince me to get it.
Hah i was the other way around. This game gave me the final push to read up on the DCU...
So far i've read Identity Crisis & Infinite Crisis, Blackest Night ... reading up on batman and i cant wait for flashpoint.

Oh yeah Young justice also helped in getting into the comic side of things.

somesang

Tobor said:
I hope they fixed my pants.
patched+pants+2+box.png

I googled "Patched pants" and found that. Do not go deeper.

ferr

yencid said:
Hah i was the other way around. This game gave me the final push to read up on the DCU...
So far i've read Identity Crisis & Infinite Crisis, Blackest Night ... reading up on batman and i cant wait for flashpoint.

I'm feeling the same way. I have had Long Halloween on my shelf for a while, but now I want to check out a lot of other stuff like Green Lantern/Aquaman etc..

Afrikan

I don't know if this has been posted but for the folks who like MMOs on the PS3.

Everquest 3?
http://nexus404.com/Blog/2011/01/16...3-could-everquest-3-be-heading-there-as-well/

When asked if the game, which is currently under the working title of Everquest Next, would be coming to PS3, SOE president John Smedley said, “Can’t comment on that. All I can say is we are a Sony company, and we are very, very proud of the work we’ve done on DC Universe Online, which is multi-platform; and we are very, very proud of the work we have done on The Agency, which is multi-platform.”

Just got Cyborgs hand cannon to drop from the titans encounter, a level 24 epic hand blaster which is a 1 arm cannon. Has stats equal to a level 30 solo blue so pretty nice weapon. Main perk though -- I can now make a MegaMan costume <3

jogarrr

http://www.facebook.com/notes/dc-un...expected-downtimes-jan-16th/10150382360335717
http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuopc/posts/list.m?topic_id=8865
Attention Heroes and Villains!

We apologize for the unexpected server downtimes today. We're working on expanding the capacity right away and there may be brief interruptions because of these efforts.This is estimated to take several hours while we make configuration changes and add additional capacity. We are sorry for the growing pains, but they won't last long!

Maybe they underestimated the amount of interest in this game?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
baah. i wish there was at least an offline sandbox mode or something so i could play around with controls and stuff

yencid said:

I haven't delved into DCU yet, I've mostly been reading Marvel Digital Comics (not a bad deal btw, $9 per month and you get a ton of comics) and Atomic Robo.

With that, I want to get into DCU. Can you give me a good starting point?

calder

jogarrr said:
Maybe a bit. I bought my copy at gamestop yesterday and they only had two display copies left (except for collectors editions) so i had to take an opened copy. And then when i logged in yesterday for the first time all servers had the pop listed as high.

Also seems no matter what for new mmo games or even just heavily online games with significant server-side infrastructure the first few days all companies under estimate demand. Must be cheaper in the long run to scale up post launch if necessary rather than have unused capacity or something or youd think it wouldnt be so common.

Costume done. I am really loving how easy it is to change appearance and have them not look a total mess. The head is the Epic drop from Brother Eye I got earlier. Personally I prefer my Sentai Villain look. Now I just need to find the Insectoid style hands.

2euoh2b.jpg

yencid

GAZERK said:
I haven't delved into DCU yet, I've mostly been reading Marvel Digital Comics (not a bad deal btw, $9 per month and you get a ton of comics) and Atomic Robo.

http://zatanna.tumblr.com/post/2685664470

I asked her and that was her answer. So far i've read all but one and i feel like i know a lot more about the universe now.

@ChronicleX: That helmet is bad ass... Specially for a villain character

Kuugrr

GAZERK said:

Well, here's the stuff the DC Universe team was assigned as reference material for the game, apparently. A lot of it is really good in general, and I'm reading through some of the stuff I've never read while saving up money for the game.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/01/11/reading-list-dc-universe-online/

yencid

Kuugrr said:
Well, here's the stuff the DC Universe team was assigned as reference material for the game, apparently. A lot of it is really good in general, and I'm reading through some of the stuff I've never read while saving up money for the game.

Ok this def is a great little link right here. I think it deserves to go on the OP actually. (the link)

Its a great list.

mileS

Macattk15 said:
I regret choosing Acrobatics. Flying was so much easier to get up and around things.

did you get to level 9 yet? at that point you can pretty much fly with acrobatics anyway.

yencid said:
http://zatanna.tumblr.com/post/2685664470

I asked her and that was her answer. So far i've read all but one and i feel like i know a lot more about the universe now.

@ChronicleX: That helmet is bad ass... Specially for a villain character

Kuugrr said:

Hey thanks. I'll be sure to read as much of these as possible :)

Yeah pretty sad with the poor situation so far.

I bought it last night and was planning to play it this morning(left the download up all night).

But even before the servers were down my game crashes every single time at the character creation(right as its about to start).

Any idea how to fix this so I can actually PLAY the game I bought today? :(

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
AmericanNinja said:
I'm lvl 12, what can you do at lvl 9?
The Movement Skill tree unlocks at lv 9. The first power you can buy for an acrobat is a glider that will let you glide through the city.

So I've tried using a controller with this game and it feels very natural...aside from the atrocious lock on. With PC all I have to do is hit Tab and it locks on to an enemy no matter where I'm facing. Unless I'm mistaken in order to do that on a controller the lock on button needs to be held down? Which makes using other powers/abilities/moving around awkward while holding that button down since there's a lot of L1/L2 R1/R2 button pressing going on to be best at combat. Am I just missing something with the controller lock on system?

mileS

Killthee said:
The Movement Skill tree unlocks at lv 9. The first power you can buy for an acrobat is a glider that will let you glide through the city.

Yea theres two things you can pick from at level 9 for acrobat. Rocket Glide (you could already glide at level 1 but this makes you go faster and never have to touch the ground if you want) and the other is some sort of grapple hook that lets you climb buildings or something not sure about this one because I haven't tried it yet.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
mileS said:
Theres two things you can pick from at level 9 for acrobat. Rocket Glide (you could already glide at level 1 but this makes you go faster and never have to touch the ground if you want) and the other is some sort of grapple hook that lets you climb buildings or something not sure about this one because I haven't tried it yet.
Grapple hook is really cool too. You just have to stand next to a building and hold x for a grapple line to pop up and zip you away.

hermit7

Created a new character on Killing Joke this time a villainess who is nature healing. I am liking how the powers are so different compared to.my other character.

Top Bottom