• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin - The Fight BTS

Join us in this second chapter of our Behind the Scenes series as we delve deeper into the combat features of Rise of the Ronin.

From the veteran developers of Nioh and Ninja Gaiden – Rise of the Ronin introduces deeply engaging yet accessible combat, with layers of complexity that caters to a variety of playstyles.

Learn more about melee and ranged weaponry, commanding unique special moves to prevail in combat in the world of 19th-century “Bakumatsu” Japan.

Previous BTS episode can be viewed here.

Since the mid-90s, the developers at Team Ninja have earned consistent praise for their precise, satisfying combat. Look no further than the Dead or Alive franchise’s dynamic fighting system or Ninja Gaiden’s lightning-fast combat for prime examples. The developer aims to continue and expand that legacy of satisfying melee mechanics in Rise of the Ronin.

Rise of the Ronin allows players to battle through a storyline set in the final days of the Tokugawa Shogunate in Japan, known as Bakumatsu, where they can enjoy an accessible but deep combat system using different play styles combining melee weapons and firearms. This involves draining enemies’ Ki, mastering Martial Skills, and becoming proficient with multiple fighting styles. Mix and match to find your approach on PlayStation 5 on March 22.

To help players get ready to battle through historic Japan, Team Ninja shares a new behind-the-scenes developer diary diving into the combat of Rise of the Ronin.

Ki-depleting battle actions​

In Rise of the Ronin, Team Ninja combines its signature combat action with Katanas, spears, other melee weapons, and ranged weapons like foreign firearms. As a Ronin, you will battle foes utilizing these two types of weapons.

The basic combat strategy involves performing melee attacks with Square, defending yourself from foes’ attacks with L1 to guard and Circle to dodge. When your foe’s Ki is completely depleted, they will become vulnerable and incapacitated, making it easier to deal massive damage with critical hits.

Similarly, when your Ki is exhausted, you temporarily won’t be able to attack or run, so pay attention to your Ki as you battle.

Using Counterspark and Martial Skills to damage Ki​

When facing formidable foes, effectively parrying with the Counterspark action and utilizing Martial Skills can lower their maximum Ki, making it easier to defeat them.

Counterspark is an action that parries enemy attacks. To Counterspark, press Triangle to rotate the melee weapon in a large arc to counter the foe’s attack. When you use Counterspark to evade damage from attacks that you cannot guard yourself against, your foe’s Ki reduces, and they will be stunned briefly. This can create a window to deal even more damage to reduce their maximum Ki.

Martial skills (holding down R1 while pressing Square/Triangle) inflict more significant damage. They are also highly effective against strong foes.

giphy.gif

Know your foes, weapons, and combat styles​

Each Japanese and Western weapon—Katana, spears, dual blades, bayonets, and sabers—has its own capabilities and attack actions. As you build bonds with characters you meet, you will acquire new combat styles and further evolve their capabilities to enhance your battle experience.

As you battle your foes, knowing which one of the three combat styles, Ten (Sky), Chi (Earth), and Jin (Human), is advantageous against their weapons and can help you gain the upper hand in battle—and parrying them with the proper combat style will knock them back significantly.

Main combat styles​

Mumyo Style​

Originating in the Kurosu Clan from an unknown master, it is a versatile martial art combat style performed in pairs. Those who mastered the style were called Veiled Edge.

giphy.gif

Hokushin Itto Style​

This style of swordsmanship, founded by Shusaku Chiba in the early 19th century, is used to overwhelm foes with a series of attacks. Their teaching is rational, emphasizing the mastery of techniques through training performed by an attacker and a defender. Their dojo, established in 1822 in Edo (today’s Tokyo), remains operational today.

giphy.gif

Yagyu Shinkage Style​

The renowned military instructor of the Tokugawa clan founded this swordsmanship style. Starting with Tokugawa Ieyasu, the first shogun, generations of shoguns and the Tokugawa clan are known to have studied this swordsmanship.

Nine weapons will be available for battling enemies, including dual blades, Oxtail Swords, great swords, and Odachi.

giphy.gif

Long-ranged weapons​

Bows and firearms require careful aiming to attack from a distance. Leveraging silent weapons like bows, you can perform a stealth takedown on unaware foes. While firearms are powerful, the gunfire will give away your attack to your enemies.

The timed firing of a handgun will stun foes for a prolonged period. It can be used as an attack opportunity to reduce the foe’s Ki cap limit.

Fire Pipes blow powerful flames. You can use this long-range weapon to set a group of enemies ablaze or ignite a gunpowder barrel to explode.

Ingenious grappling rope actions​

You can throw the grappling rope at a latching point to gain leverage in a flash. You can also wield it to pull distant enemies in during combat. Keep the grappling rope in mind to take control of the battlefield from afar.

You can hold down R2 to wield a grappling rope to grab a nearby gunpowder barrel and throw it at enemies. The barrel will explode, setting the enemies on fire and inflicting epic damage.

giphy.gif

There is no right or wrong way to approach combat with the multitude of options in your arsenal. Experiment with gear and master the many styles Rise of the Ronin has to offer on March 22.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The animation on this game still bothers me. Not convinced yet on this one.

EDIT: Didn't Team Ninja make the Nioh series? If so...so far this looks like a step back in terms of graphics and animation.

The comments on the combat seem interesting but I don't think I could gather what they were talking about from what they showed in the video.

Last edited:

Aion002

The animation on this game still bothers me. Not convinced yet on this one.

EDIT: Didn't Team Ninja make the Nioh series? If so...so far this looks like a step back in terms of graphics and animation.

The comments on the combat seem interesting but I don't think I could gather what they were talking about from what they showed in the video.
They did.

The graphics they showed so far are quite better than Nioh 2 and Wo Long, the combat seems slower than both, but the animations seems better in my opinion.

Also, they showed that the companions npcs are now actually playable and we can even use combos with both characters, this opens up the combat a lot.

Talking about npcs, it seems that the depending on which side you take, your character will learn different combat styles and have different companions.

Come On Time GIF by Liverpool FC

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Combat looks great and nice to know you can swap control of characters. Counterspark sounds fun to use and happy the versatility from Nioh looks to be expanded on.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
They did.

The graphics they showed so far are quite better than Nioh 2 and Wo Long, the combat seems slower than both, but the animations seems better in my opinion.

Also, they showed that the companions npcs are now actually playable and we can even use combos with both characters, this opens up the combat a lot.

Talking about npcs, it seems that the depending on which side you take, your character will learn different combat styles and have different companions.

Come On Time GIF by Liverpool FC
Graphics are quitre better...than Nioh 2? No I don't think so.

granted I didn't play Nioh until it was on PC...and from what I understand this footage is on PS5...so maybe there's a disconnect there for me. Also youtube compression, blah blah blah...

Last edited:
graphics are ps4 level but combat looks solid to me.

Graphically this game is an abomination. In the trailers we've seen: npc's updating at quarter framerate at low resolution; visible artifacting everywhere from crappy fsr usage; npc's floating in the air, low res textures and tiles a la ps2/ps3, aliasing, the glider that you fly with moves super slow due to really poor asset streaming; terrible lod management.

I wasn't expecting this to be a graphical showcase but my god at least deliver something polished, like Nioh 2 or Wu Long Fallen Dynasty level of visuals! It's a PS5 exclusive for christ sakes! This is the worst aaa visuals I've seen all gen.

SJRB

Gold Member
I have a bad feeling about this. Team Ninja is banking hard on this but with every trailer they show the game looks worse.

Archaic visuals, animations, effects and combat. The graphic quality looks way worse than a game like Sekiro (which came out five years ago, mind you), and without the god-tier art and visual design that FROM has to save itself from harsh criticism concerning graphics.

Team Ninja needs to stop fucking around. It's 2024 and you're releasing a PS5 exclusive that looks like it's ten years old. What are you doing?

Just look at 4:45 and 4:50 in that trailer, what the fuck is this shit? Straight up PS3-era Dark Souls tier animations.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Nioh 2 was quite ok.
I have a bad feeling about this. Team Ninja is banking hard on this but with every trailer they show the game looks worse.

Archaic visuals, animations, effects and combat. The graphic quality looks way worse than a game like Sekiro (which came out five years ago, mind you), and without the god-tier art and visual design that FROM has to save itself from harsh criticism concerning graphics.

Team Ninja needs to stop fucking around. It's 2024 and you're releasing a PS5 exclusive that looks like it's ten years old. What are you doing?

Just look at 4:45 and 4:50 in that trailer, what the fuck is this shit? Straight up PS3-era Dark Souls tier animations.
We've already reached top tier graphics, but content, dialogues and storytelling lacks behind thousands of miles. Fuck your graphics and framerate obsession. Its only purpose is to propel NVDA even higher and bring AI singularity even closer, faster.

Last edited:

peish

I did not know this is by Team Ninja, thought it was some quasi spinoff of Sony ghost of tsushima

Hopeful, waiting PC demo.

This game took over 7 years to make as it is.

Koe Tecmo have some of the best margins in the industry probably because they don't chase high end graphics they will be fine.

I have very high confidence this game will BITCH SLAP Sekiro's parry gimmick one dimensional combat.

Neolombax

I feel like the graphical comparison between this and Elden Ring isn't right. This doesnt look as good as Elden Ring. It looks very bland in comparison. Even Nioh 2 looks better than this. Sure,if you say gameplay is more important than graphics, but graphics is one of the reasons why people upgraded to a PS5. Still not convinced about this game.

I'm starting to warm up to the game. It definitely looks last gen though and I have serious concerns with the director's track record.

Development of the game started in 2015 so you know it was originally built for PS4. What is surprising is that it isn't cross gen.

Last edited:
I just don't know how they're asking 70 dollars for this game.

I think the reception on it would be A LOT better ultimately if it was 30-40 dollars. Like it looks like a PS4 game and not a really good PS4 game.

I'm going to go ahead and think this game is going to review in the low 70s.

Top Bottom