• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin - Combat Vignette Releasedd

Labadal

I have a friend or two who asked if I was interested in co-op. Still not day 1, but could be an earlier purchase than I thought.

stn

There's a "Nioh" style and a "Hayabusa" style, which makes me think there are movesets designed around Nioh and Ninja Gaiden. Which is amazing. One thing I'm hoping for is some crossover gear, I'd love to have a character in Hayabusa's doppelganger outfit, for example.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
People should know by now what Team Ninja's games look like. I honestly think that once you start playing their games, you realize they work well visually.

Yes, the engine isn't the most modern, with all fancy features. But, their games are actually pretty good looking aesthetically. Particularly if you focus on the character work there's a lot of care and detail put in. Its all about the combat though, and in that respect they keep any flaws out of the way. Action is smooth and responsive, its not stodgy or floaty, and it flows well with a good sense of impact to strikes.

Yeah, I'm biased insofar as I've put hundreds of hours into their post-Nioh games, but that amount of play-time should speak for itself.

octos

Neo Member
It's all about gameplay, and so far I really like what I see, the 3 stances system from Nioh 1/2, some finishing moves like Ninja Gaiden 2. I hope this game features a small "jump" like in NG (but nothing like Wo Long please).

Spyxos

The more I see of this game, the more unsure I am about getting it. It has some interesting stuff, but somehow I've seen it better in similar games.

People should know by now what Team Ninja's games look like. I honestly think that once you start playing their games, you realize they work well visually.

Yes, the engine isn't the most modern, with all fancy features. But, their games are actually pretty good looking aesthetically. Particularly if you focus on the character work there's a lot of care and detail put in. Its all about the combat though, and in that respect they keep any flaws out of the way. Action is smooth and responsive, its not stodgy or floaty, and it flows well with a good sense of impact to strikes.

Yeah, I'm biased insofar as I've put hundreds of hours into their post-Nioh games, but that amount of play-time should speak for itself.
I just played the Nioh Games recently and both of them hold up incredibly well. I don't need graphics look much better than that personally, especially for a studio that excels with S tier combat.

Having said that, Team Ninja needs to move off the Katana engine. It is very apparent from the trailers that it deeply struggles to process an open world game like ROTR. The pop-in and texture issues are very noticeable

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Crazy they release this the day Dragon’s Dogma 2 comes out. It looks like a lot of fun. After Wo Long, it’s nice to have something a bit grounded in reality. I wonder how ammo is replenished or how that works. They haven’t gone into too much detail about the inventory or menus other than showing the combat styles. I’m eager to play this, but I’ll probably play it after DD2.

The more I see of this game, the more unsure I am about getting it. It has some interesting stuff, but somehow I've seen it better in similar games.
I feel the same way. I am also not a fan of all the straight up murdering of human enemies. Nioh was cool because you had demons and such. This is just all humans for some reason?

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
I feel like this is being overshadowed by quite a few March releases. I thought Wo Long had more buzz about it.
Definitely

I just wanna know how it compares to Ghost of Tsushima

Wish the reviews dropped a week before so I could pre-order if reception is good-
With reviews dropping 24 hours before, that could be seen as a bad sign.
We’ll see

Slimboy Fat

Open world is the way to go for soulslikes. Nioh-esque combat combined with the freedom and exploration of open design will be great. Unfortunate that this game doesn't seem to be getting the attention it deserves. One factor is surely Team Ninjas new engine which doesn't deliver very good visuals or performance.

Variahunter

Open world is the way to go for soulslikes. Nioh-esque combat combined with the freedom and exploration of open design will be great. Unfortunate that this game doesn't seem to be getting the attention it deserves. One factor is surely Team Ninjas new engine which doesn't deliver very good visuals or performance.

Yes I’m kind of disappointed too by the lack of attention on this one. It’s my most awaited game of the year with DD2 and Visions of Mana.
It’s not the most beautiful, and to be honest the downgrade from the first trailer is quite obvious, but the gameplay and the builds will be great nonetheless as it’s Team Ninja and they’re using their experience to get the best out of their previous games (NioH, Wo Long).
Considering that for the first time we have 3 of the main Japan cities explorable in this era, it’s quite an enormous task to reproduce all the assets. Going open world is no small task, and I’ve been to both Kyoto and Tokyo, and Kyoto is very recognizable with its layout and temples, it will be very enjoyable to visit in the Bakumatsu era, so kudos to TN for that.

I’d really like people to consider that Ghost didn’t feature any cities in its game, and I swear it’s because they knew it would be a hard task to recreate Kyoto or Edo with a good fidelity that they chose to set the game in Tsushima. On the other hand, I could see them trying it for the second game.

Slimboy Fat

Yes I’m kind of disappointed too by the lack of attention on this one. It’s my most awaited game of the year with DD2 and Visions of Mana.
It’s not the most beautiful, and to be honest the downgrade from the first trailer is quite obvious, but the gameplay and the builds will be great nonetheless as it’s Team Ninja and they’re using their experience to get the best out of their previous games (NioH, Wo Long).
Considering that for the first time we have 3 of the main Japan cities explorable in this era, it’s quite an enormous task to reproduce all the assets. Going open world is no small task, and I’ve been to both Kyoto and Tokyo, and Kyoto is very recognizable with its layout and temples, it will be very enjoyable to visit in the Bakumatsu era, so kudos to TN for that.

I’d really like people to consider that Ghost didn’t feature any cities in its game, and I swear it’s because they knew it would be a hard task to recreate Kyoto or Edo with a good fidelity that they chose to set the game in Tsushima. On the other hand, I could see them trying it for the second game.
At least the game seems to be running at 60fps. Hope it's coming to PC soon

Variahunter

At least the game seems to be running at 60fps. Hope it's coming to PC soon
Yes that’s also a factor here. There is a fidelity 30 fps mode though, and they haven’t shown it since the reveal I think. It made sense to show the action part in 60fps, but I don’t understand why the “World vignette” video was not shown in fidelity mode.
Really weird marketing.

Lokaum D+

FF7Re
Ronin
DD2
in less the 30 days

Episode 12 Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Top Bottom