• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise Of The Ronin Reportedly Suffers From An Unstable Frame Rate In Performance Mode

Draugoth

Gold Member
rise-of-the-ronin-3.jpg

According to YouTuber Skill Up, who has early access to the upcoming Rise of the Ronin, the game struggles to maintain its target frame rate of 60 fps in its Performance mode, dipping into the 40s. Those who will play the game on VRR displays will get a relatively smoother experience, though given the PS5’s minimum VRR threshold being at 48 Hz, dips in frame rate below this value will remain an issue. It is also mentioned that cutscenes tend to exhibit judder, likely due to frame pacing issues.

Hope is not lost, however, as Rise of the Ronin is set to receive a series of performance patches before its release on March 22, 2024, as per the embargo document. However, its hard to say what kind of an improvement can be expected, and only time will tell whether the game’s performance will see a noteworthy improvement.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Yeah you could tell from the trailers this game is an unoptimized mess.

When pop in occurs they quickly try to pan the camera, it has jitter built into it, and then made media use B roll footage.

I’ll wait for a PC version or a deep deep discount.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If you are going to publish a game you need to make sure it is up to next gen standards. Sony's stamp of quality used to mean something. hell, just last year FF7 and FF16 devs were going on and on about polishing the game because it was a single SKU release. Pushing the console's ssd tech was another positive that came from Sony's engineers helping out these third party exclusives.

And yet here we are. First FF7 and now Rise Of Ronin. Both have visuals that simply are not up to par with next gen standards set by sony studios like Bluepoint, Insomniac, and Guerrilla Games. It's sony's job to send those engineers from GG and insomniac to help out these smaller devs. If you cant get the 60 fps modes working because of CPU issues then focus on upping the graphics quality. This game looks worse than most last gen games. At least FF7 Rebirth can stand next to the best looking PS4 era games. This is simply unacceptable for a third party exclusive literally published by Sony. This was not a moneyhat. it is literally funded by sony.

Fbh

It's Team Ninja.
Stranger of Paradise literally looks like a Ps3 game most of the time and consists of relatively small and linear levels....and somehow it struggles to hit 60fps on ps5 despite a relatively low resolution and horrible IQ full of shimmering.

Of course their open world will run like crap.

Variahunter

This game might not be exactly what I expected, on the graphics and perhaps even gameplay point.

But I'll support Team Ninja nonetheless, they made games that cattered for me, and on paper this one would have too.

Going open world is not a small feat, and recreating 3 big cities from Bakumatsu Japan is unprecedented, even Ghost of Tsushima (and FFXVI) didn't have any cities, because they're hard to do, especially tackling it for the first time.

The gameplay seems a bit slowed down from NioH, but has much more variety given that the number of stances per weapon is much higher than in Nioh 2. They also had to implement a better stealth system.

I'm fine with their ambition on the story, but I'll admit graphics don't support well that ambition.

So I'll double dip even on PC to support them, but their next open world game will have to do a lot better on the graphics part, here it's hardly acceptable with this price point.

mrcroket

It's sad with how cutting edge they were in the graphics and optimization of the games in the late 90s and 00s. Games like Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast or Ninja Gaiden on the og. Xbox. Since then they have only gone in decline.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not had any major issues frame-rate wise with any of Team Ninja's games really, even Final Fantasy Origins which ran like ass during its demo and preview stages was fine and played great in the final version.

Honestly, graphics whores are just going to do what they do. If they want games that look great but play average well, and are happy with that. Fine. Personally I'll take games that play great and look average any day of the week, because truth is, the novelty wears off pretty quick usually.

proandrad

Will wait for Pro before picking this up I guess.
Same, holding off on purchasing all future PS5 games until the PRO. If dragons dogma is optimized I might just get it on pc. Stella Blade the exception of course. Need to support it for the culture.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I love Team Ninja games but I knew this would be a mess as soon as they announced it as a big open world game. Their engine stinks even in small environments like Wo Long.

I hope they make Nioh 3 next because both of those games are fucking awesome. Or even a sequel to Stranger of Paradise. Stick to what you’re good at. Not everything has to be inspired by Ass Creed.

I feel a bit bad for RoR, Dragon's Dogma 2 seems to be stealing all of it's thunder. Hopefully it reviews well enough and doesn't disappoint, but I really feel like strategically speaking, it did not end up being good timing to launch it on 3/22. Dragon's Dogma is sucking up all the energy and buzz.

Top Bottom