• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of The Ronin | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Rise of the Ronin will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 38 14.1%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 75 27.8%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • 86-89%

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 96-100%

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
People suddenly paying attention to MC scores!.In my thread everyone was too cool for school and would never let a mc score effect their purchase, what changed?.
are you gonna cry basketball wives GIF by VH1

fart town usa

Gold Member
People suddenly paying attention to MC scores!.In my thread everyone was too cool for school and would never let a mc score effect their purchase, what changed?.
Gamers love to be talked out of playing games
Once you've tasted the freedom of playing what you want to play, regardless of reviews, mainstream gaming culture comes off as depressing. Like an abused dog who is scared of their tail. It's sad. 😞

"more assassin's creed than Nioh"

A part of me wonders if this game came out too soon. I think an AC game by Team Ninja sounds like a fun idea, but everyone is so jaded by the AC games that it feels like they're taking it out on RotR.

This feels like when the PS360 generation was flooded with third person shooters and reviews were mixed on Binary Domain.

200% chance, count on it.

Sony doesn't pay for 3rd party Japanese IP exclusivity, unless the IP is from their first/second console having a massive installed based/unit sales.

This is all on Team Ninja, and they will port this over to PC and possibly Xbox and Switch 2, after releasing the DLC's, just like NioH 1&2.

Cool thanks. I'm getting a way of the samurai 4 vibe from this. Love triple B games.

SABRE220

Seems like a very divisive game, some love it and others are really harsh on it will wait for player impressions on this one.

Reactions: Isa

fart town usa

Gold Member
A part of me wonders if this game came out too soon. I think an AC game by Team Ninja sounds like a fun idea, but everyone is so jaded by the AC games that it feels like they're taking it out on RotR.

This feels like when the PS360 generation was flooded with third person shooters and reviews were mixed on Binary Domain.
The thing that kills me is that so many people rightfully dog on AC/Ubisoft style open worlds but many of these people still play AC games at launch. Makes no sense.

Also, some of the few open world titles I like were dogged for having Ubisoft bloat but as someone who stopped playing AC games over a decade ago, it just seems weird to me. The vast majority of open world titles all feel the same to me, it's the gameplay that engages me.

Ronin has captured my attention for some reason despite me not liking open world the majority of the time, I'm looking forward to playing it.

Last edited:

gow3isben

Damn was hoping this would do well not gonna waste time on another cookie cutter open world.

Premise seemed really cool too.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think Noisy Pixel's review was fair, mentioning flaws and good points alike. I'm still looking forward to it, got it installed and ready to go. I'm particularly interested in the story paths and dialogue options.
Noisy Pixel is one of the few outlets that I'm actually interested in what they have to say. Always comes off as thoughtful and they do a great job with covering obscure titles.

Isa

Noisy Pixel is one of the few outlets that I'm actually interested in what they have to say. Always comes off as thoughtful and they do a great job with covering obscure titles.
I feel the same way, their willingness to cover titles that might be passed by larger outlets along with seemingly offering legitimate concerns, likes or grievances is at least to me more trustworthy than most. One can definitely see their fan-based roots instead of the media industry at large.

Nioh is already an absurdly bloated, repetitive series, so an open world version being a day late and dollar short on the AssCreed formula doesn't surprise me. They always nail combat but I really wish they'd make a game around their killer combat even half as good as Ninja Gaiden again.

Never thought I'd legit have zero interest in Team Ninja games but between Wo Long and this, no thanks.

havoc00

For those curious about length and content

you’ll find yourself immersed in a game which will provide you with well over 50 hours of content in a first playthrough

Mr Hyde

I'm kinda burnt out on open world at the moment. Never liked Nioh either so middling reviews makes me want to sit this one out. I haven't even started Rebirth yet so even thinking of buying another 100+ hour action-rpg makes my brain go mush. Will probably grab it when it gets a good discount.

Fabieter

200% chance, count on it.

Sony doesn't pay for 3rd party Japanese IP exclusivity, unless the IP is from their first/second console having a massive installed based/unit sales.

This is all on Team Ninja, and they will port this over to PC and possibly Xbox and Switch 2, after releasing the DLC's, just like NioH 1&2.

It will come for pc for sure but I wouldn't count on switch 2 and xbox.

RAIDEN1

From the review I saw on Push Square they say it's another run of the mill hack and slash, the next Ninja Gaiden this isn't...

Red5

Sounds like a Steam Summer Sale buy in 2025. Like the setting but asking 70$ for an AC clone in feudal Japan is too much.

Mid 80s for now, but i am not far yet so who knows. Fextralife had good takes on story and companions that i haven’t had the chance to experience yet.
It’s performance inconsistency is the only real issue for me.

I've seen several reports that while the framerate does drop at times, it's not dropping all the time and isn't that bad for a game with "performance inconsistency"

(Certainly gonna be smoother than Dragons Dogma 2!)

havoc00

My playthrough of Rise of the Ronin took around 55 hours, and I barely scratched the surface of the additional content. I had a 60% completion rate in Yokohama, and then a 37% and 11% completion rate for the next two cities. There are still many enemy camps I haven’t cleared yet, 60 more cats to pet, Bond Missions I have not completed, tons of side quests, weapon stance upgrades from the Dojo, fugitives still running loose and a ton more.

When considering a game’s pricepoint, we take into account the amount of content available, the experience impact, and the value of purchasing a game right away versus waiting for patches or a sale. Priced at $69.99, Rise of the Ronin is a content-complete game with some very well done systems and a good combat system, which I argue outweighs the poor graphical quality.

Sounds good to me

Last edited:
Top Bottom