• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I has a puppy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a week... Me and my girlfriend have been planning to get a dog for over 3 years now(knowing that an Icelandic Sheepdog would be a perfect fit for us), and when he finally moved into a house November 2009, we agreed that the time was right. After visiting various kennels and breeders we settled down with a breeder who was very nice and seemed more than competent, the plan was to buy a puppy from the litter of puppies she was going to have by the end us this summer.

Fast forward to last week where we got an email from her explaining that another breeder, who has used her male dog as the father, has 1 puppy left. The puppy's nature was very fitting for first time dog owners and he was exceptionally built on top of that. So after discussing it for about a week and visiting the breeder and Vikingur as the puppy is named we decided to do it...

After so many years I finally have a fucking dog! And holy shit it's overwhelming (all these thoughts going through your head, will you be able to the job, what if anything happens to the dog, what about when we are gonna have kids, etc.). But aside from only 3 hours sleep tonight it's been absolutely amazing to live with Vikingur: Dreaming in his sleep, those eyes..., his curiousness, so happy, THOSE EYES! ;_;

Anyway here are some pictures!

Bringing Vikingur home and playing with his mom and aunts one last time.
viking1.jpg

viking2.jpg

After a 4 hour drive (in which he slept all the time) he enters the house... We thought we had made it 'puppy-safe'... we thought wrong XD Had to arrange a few carpets, cords, plants etc.
viking3.jpg

viking4.jpg

Those eys... I think I'm in love!
viking5.jpg

The future is defintely gonna be exciting! Right now I can't get that smile away from my face eventhough I'm exhausted as hell.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
My neighbor too got a dog. Didn't stop barking till 10:30 pm. The cops we called.

Don't be a bad neighbor.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
otake said:
My neighbor too got a dog. Didn't stop barking till 10:30 pm. The cops we called.

Don't be a bad neighbor.

did you call the cops day one?

otake said:

Don't be a bad neighbor.

My upstairs neighbors have a dog, one of those little ones that never grow bigger. Each day, each fucking day, the damn dog starts barking at 7a.m. and stops only about 2 hours later. He barks literally for two straight hours!

Don't be that kind of dog owner.

levious

otake said:
I thought about it. What if I did?

I was thinking it'd be lame to call right away, wondering if you waited a day or two or what. Or did you mean to type "the cops were called"?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I miss having pets :(.

LM4sure

Banned
Is that corgi a fluffy? We have one of those. Great dog although she does bark a lot. I guess we're bad neighbors in that respect. I encourage it.

otake said:

Don't be a bad neighbor.
The icelandic sheepdog is actually prone to bark a lot(especially at birds). It's their way of communicating that something exciting is happening, but as soon as things has settled down it'll stop barking as well (we are talking about 5-10 barks if a stranger comes to the door, sees a cat through the window, etc.). You can control it to some extent which is a huge priority for me and my gf.

Luckily my neightbour had twins last year, so he's in debt to us when it comes to annoying noises :p

Here's a small clip of Vikingur when we came to pick him up

otake

levious said:
I was thinking it'd be lame to call right away, wondering if you waited a day or two or what. Or did you mean to type "the cops were called"?

My neighbors called the cops. This dog had been barking non-stop since 06:00 pm. It was loud as fuck. I live in an apartment complex full of young professionals, people that need to wake up early to go to work. All the owner had to do was let the dog inside. Crate the dog if you must, but it should be the owners inconvenience not the entire complex.

LovingSteam said:
Really? Calling the cops? For a dog barking? FFS. Talk about being a bad neighbor.
There was a guy across the street who would leave his dog out almost everyday for hours on end and it would bark endlessly. I spoke to him about it once and he got real pissed off at me, calling me a liar and saying his dog never barked; meanwhile I could stand in the street, look into his backyard and see this dog barking.

Anyway, it was bad enough and loud enough where we couldn't have any of our windows or balcony doors open while the dog was barking (Beautiful spring Saturday? mid 70s? Want a breeze? Sorry, no. Not between the hours of 1pm-7pm), so yeah, we did call the cops on him. At which point it cut back significantly.

levious

otake said:
My neighbors called the cops. This dog had been barking non-stop since 06:00 pm. It was loud as fuck. I live in an apartment complex full of young professionals, people that need to wake up early to go to work. All the owner had to do was let the dog inside. Crate the dog if you must, but it should be the owners inconvenience not the entire complex.

gotcha, where do they keep it outside though? Seems weird in an apartment.

otake

levious said:
gotcha, where do they keep it outside though? Seems weird in an apartment.

Each apartment has a small balcony (?). It's like a small outside area where you keep plants, sit and enjoy the weather, etc.

Kaako said:
Congrats, raise it well. :)
Thanks! and thanks for all the other comments.

Seeing as we are both first time owners we are without doubt going to attend a Puppy Training Course and further courses in the future.

otake

Metroid Killer said:
Thanks! and thanks for all the other comments.

Seeing as we are both first time owners we are without doubt going to attend a Puppy Training Course and further courses in the future.

Read the Dog Whisperer books, at least one. He is right on the money on almost everything. Walk the shit out of your puppy. Walk him at least 2 miles twice a day and you will have less potty accidents , less home destruction, and a happier dog.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
otake said:
Read the Dog Whisperer books, at least one. He is right on the money on almost everything. Walk the shit out of your puppy. Walk him at least 2 miles twice a day and you will have less potty accidents , less home destruction, and a happier dog.
Damn, maybe I should get a puppy as well. That's good exercise.

Amakusa

My Gret dane would eat your little puppy, and still have room for 6 kittens, 2 whole pizza's, some pink pop corn and a turkey leg.... just wanted you to know

Cute pics
<( ^.^)b

otake

Kaako said:
Damn, maybe I should get a puppy as well. That's good exercise.

It is indeed. Dogs that aren't walked enough tend to bark the most, want to play all the time, need more attention, etc. People usually don't know what their getting into with a dog. The bigger the dog, the more you have to walk it. A shiba inu needs two 2 mile walks a day. A boxer, it needs a good run, maybe 5 miles a day. Otherwise, you're fucked.

joelseph

otake said:

Everyone agrees that exercise is good for pets, beyond that Cesar Millan is a fucking hack.

And the next time a neighbor gets a new dog, specially in an apartment complex full of young proffesionals, instead of calling the cops over excessive barking leave a bottle of wine and a note explaining the situation. You could even make friends, gasp.

otake

joelseph said:
Everyone agrees that exercise is good for pets, beyond that Cesar Millan is a fucking hack.

And the next time a neighbor gets a new dog, specially in an apartment complex full of young proffesionals, instead of calling the cops over excessive barking leave a bottle of wine and a note explaining the situation. You could even make friends, gasp.

He's not a hack. I'm a former dog person as well. His advice is spot on.

On the subject of the neighbors, get real. In an apartment complex, the dog shouldn't be sleeping outside anyway. People need to sleep here, we aren't college students or musicians. Most of us have real jobs that require us to wake up bright and early. By the way, this is a very dog friendly community. Every other person has a dog and they don't let this happen. If your dog won't stop barking for hours, do something about it. Walk him, give him attention. Don't just lock him in the balcony to bark at the building.

Zoe

Combichristoffersen said:
Cats don't bark. Be a good neighbour and get a spayed/neutered cat instead.

My cat howls for a bit when she gets kicked out of the bedroom :lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
otake said:

I totally understand this. I live in a town house and when our neighbor first got their dog it would bark and cry all day, it was really fucking annoying, especially when my wife had to work nights and had to sleep during the day.

Mumei

joelseph said:
OMG <33333

I was just going to tell Otaku to read that book!

Every puppy owner should read this book.

Glad to see you've read it, too!

I learned about it when I worked at a dog daycare, because we had to read a few excerpts from it. I ended up reading the whole thing, since I really found it fascinating. It definitely helped with some problem dogs. Most dogs are even more obedient in large groups than they are on their own, probably due to this weird sort of group social pressure thing. "Well, everyone else is listening to him, so he must be in charge. I guess I'll listen, too," seems to be the thought process. But some are stubborn or scared in a new environment or just a bit dense, so it really helped with those problem dogs. So understanding their body language and using the positioning of your own body to get them to do what you wanted (mostly come to a certain spot) and helped us see potential problems before they had fully manifested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom