• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My family has owned a lot of pet's. I want to tell you about them

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I think my family had some sort of addiction to pets. We've always had a ton of them. I'm kind of missing them all tonight so I thought I'd share a bit about them. Here is what I remember as best as I can remember.

Lucky
Grey cat
1993 - 2010
This was my first pet. We got her from a pet store. She was a mean ole bitch. Wouldn't let anyone near her. Once gashed my neighbor who broke into our house to put out a fire he saw while we weren't home. I had her my entire childhood and well into my adulthood. She mellowed out in her later years and ended up being quiet affectionate. Went through a lot with this cat.

Tiger
Tiger striped tabby
1993-2002
My dad brought this guy home not long after we got Lucky. He was a nice cat. Very chill and affectionate. Just wanted to hang out. He ended up dieing of liver disease during my freshmen year of high school. I still have his ashes.

Mozart
Fluffy white cat
1993-2008ish
A stray we took in. He was basically my grandma's cat until she passed away. He was sort of skittish. Especially when my grandma was alive. After she died, he relaxed a lot.

Oliver
Orange tabby
1995ish-2002
He was a big chunky boy. Named after Oliver from Oliver and Company. Very friendly. Very loving. Loved to sit near the telephone and hang up your calls. Died shortly after Tiger died. Not sure why. Was a hell of a 1-2 punch

Rio
Black Shitzu
1997- 2008
My sister got me this dog as a birthday present. We never really clicked. She didn't like me and I didn't like her. She was aggressive and mean. One time I tried kissing her and she bit through my nose. My parents loved her though.

Misty
Cute little kitten
A kitten my parents adopted. I like her a log and would write about her a lot for school assignments. She died suddenly not long after we got her.

Pumpkin
Calico cat
2004-???? (Last seen 2017)
A stray we took in. She was meowing at our front door one night while it was raining. Very sweet cat. Loved being warm. Had a huge nose. Later on, she became an outdoor cat. My parents
move out of state and forgot to take her with them.

Pouncer
Silver tabby
2007 - ???? ( Last seen 2016)
This guy was a fucking bad ass. Another stray we took in. He got his name because he liked to murder birds and moles. Would rip them out a tree. When he wasn't murdering things, he just wanted to chill and cuddle. Was ultra affectionate and would often sleep in my bed. This is probably my favorite cat in all honesty. He was my bro cat. He went missing during July 4th, 2016. I was heart broken. I hope someone took him in and loved him as much as I did.

Bella
Rottweiler
2009- 2019
My sister brought her home one day. She had bought her from a breeder next door. Little rollypolly fucker. I wasn't happy at first. Didn't like dogs at the time due my first dog. Soon fell in love with her though. She was super loyal and intelligent. The epitome of a real dog. Loved to wrestle and play, but knew her own strength and how to not hurt you. She wasn't the most graceful dog. She'd often knock shit over. She just wanted to keep you happy. My parents moved out of state in 2017. Fortunately i was able to see her one last time in 2019 before she passed. She was having a lot of health problems by then and you could tell she was in pain.
Amazing dog and I can't say enough good things about her. I miss her all the time. The day she passed away, it destroyed me. I cried all day. Just absolutely stellar of an animal

Elsa
White and black cat
2011 - Still alive
My coworker rescued her from a dumpster and asked me if I could take her in. She has beautiful blue eyes. She's pretty chill. My parents took her with them when she moved out of state.

Cyberpunkd

Pet, pets, pet's, rogue, rouge.

80S Ok GIF

My family have been more into cats. Had some dogs along the way but we've had a fucking army of cats lol.

Off the top of my head there was:

Tibby (late 60's or early 70s) who was my grandparents cat that my mum grew up with. They had 3 other cats around the same time but I can't remember their names. In the 90s to early 00's they had Sam, Patch, and Patch II.
My aunties 2 cats I can't remember from the late 80s/early 90s. Afterwards she had two cats called Spike and Spike II from the 90s right up until 2017.
My other auntie had another cat called Tibby II in the 90s. She has two cats now called Belle and Tinkles.
My cousin had a cat called Spike III (her mum had Spike and Spike II) and now she has a cat called Beau.
I've had 6 cats. Simba, Cheekz, and Tiggy. They lived to ages 15-21 (~1996 and 2003 to 2016-2017). My current kitties are Tibby III, Mox, and Kerya. Tibby III and Kerya are 4.5 years old and Mox is 13 months.
My uncle had Patch III.

I'm probably forgetting some!

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

You’re pets don’t seem to live that long.
Hmm? Most of them lived at least 10 years. If you average all my cats, that's 11 years, which is in the average lifespan for cats (10-13 years). A few them lived a hella long time, Lucky and Mozart

My shitzu was 11 when she died, which is in the range for an average shitzu life span (10-16 years)
My rottweiler was 10 years old, which is in the upper range of "average" for a rottweiler lifespan (8-10 years).

So I dunno, personally I think my pets all had average length lives. They seemed pretty happy though.

killatopak

Same. Dozens even.

Most of my dogs are bought or given but my cats are all 100% strays. Oh you like to stay near our house, you’re our pet now.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Pfff, cats and dogs? Get on my level.

Currently have:

Corn Snake (Pantherophis guttatus, super orange morph)
Orange Baboon Tarantula (Pterinochilus murinus)
Green Bottle Blue Tarantula (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)
Guyana Pink Toe Tarantula (Avicularia avicularia)
Asian Forest Scorpion (Heterometrus spinifer)
Bearded Dragon (Pogona Vitticeps)

and a dog.

sedg87

Banned
Pfff, cats and dogs? Get on my level.

Currently have:

Corn Snake (Pantherophis guttatus, super orange morph)
Orange Baboon Tarantula (Pterinochilus murinus)
Green Bottle Blue Tarantula (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)
Guyana Pink Toe Tarantula (Avicularia avicularia)
Asian Forest Scorpion (Heterometrus spinifer)
Bearded Dragon (Pogona Vitticeps)

and a dog.

I have a corn snake, too! She's recently turned 23. Beautiful creatures.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I have a corn snake, too! She's recently turned 23. Beautiful creatures.

Wow!! 23!! Gotta be proud of that. Great job on the husbandry!

Corns are beautiful. I think they're way too overlooked these days for Ball Pythons. Which are great, but geeze. Every reptile show it's 95% Ball Pythons.

sedg87

Banned
Wow!! 23!! Gotta be proud of that. Great job on the husbandry!

Corns are beautiful. I think they're way too overlooked these days for Ball Pythons. Which are great, but geeze. Every reptile show it's 95% Ball Pythons.

Thank you.

Corn snakes all the way. Don't think I'd ever want a ball python.

Always liked the idea of a tarantula or bearded dragon. Maybe one day.

NecrosaroIII

Thank you.

Corn snakes all the way. Don't think I'd ever want a ball python.

Always liked the idea of a tarantula or bearded dragon. Maybe one day.

Can snakes be affectionate with their owners? Do you play with him?

Can snakes be affectionate with their owners? Do you play with him?
In my experience they don’t express affection like mammals, but they can become very comfortable with you if you put in some work which is rewarding. The only game you play is dangling a thawed out rodent for then to strike and eat, but it’s a good little ritual to bond with them.

Batiman

Banned
Hmm? Most of them lived at least 10 years. If you average all my cats, that's 11 years, which is in the average lifespan for cats (10-13 years). A few them lived a hella long time, Lucky and Mozart

My shitzu was 11 when she died, which is in the range for an average shitzu life span (10-16 years)
My rottweiler was 10 years old, which is in the upper range of "average" for a rottweiler lifespan (8-10 years).

So I dunno, personally I think my pets all had average length lives. They seemed pretty happy though.
I didn’t know Rottweilers have such short lives TBH. Most cats I’ve known live closer to around 15+ years. Then again outdoor cats usually don’t tend to live as long. I could be wrong but I thought shitZus live closer to like 15 years.

I dunno, I guess this is a reminder to cherish my dogs last years. He’s 10 now but still seems young and healthy. Still gotta prepare myself

Yerd

I didn’t know Rottweilers have such short lives TBH. Most cats I’ve known live closer to around 15+ years. Then again outdoor cats usually don’t tend to live as long. I could be wrong but I thought shitZus live closer to like 15 years.

I dunno, I guess this is a reminder to cherish my dogs last years. He’s 10 now but still seems young and healthy. Still gotta prepare myself
Every cat I've owned has been an in/out cat. They lived at minimum 15yrs.

Maybe when you say outdoor cat, you mean strictly outdoor. Like a barn cat, I can't comment on a cat like that.

Batiman

Banned
Every cat I've owned has been an in/out cat. They lived at minimum 15yrs.

Maybe when you say outdoor cat, you mean strictly outdoor. Like a barn cat, I can't comment on a cat like that.
That’s why I found it odd OP is saying cats normally live around 10 years. Out door cats seem to take more of a beating throughout their lives. Scrapping with other cats and wildlife sure kills some of their 9 lives throughout their lives.

Maybe OP got that average age based off all cats including feral ones? I dunno. 10-11 years does not seem right from my experience

Top Bottom