• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gina Carano was going to get her own Star Wars spin-off before the internet mob got her fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody was actually boycotting the shitty Star Wars show over Carano tweets. That's Hogwarts Legacy levels of delusion. C'mon, go to some nerd con and poll everyone, "are you a lapsed Star Wars fan? if so why?" without priming them about Twitter politics and see if you can find even one that says something about her.

Which law are you specifically citing. You made a generic claim with no evidence to back it up. I presume you haven't even read through the lawsuit. I've actually reviewed all 59 pages of the filing. Good luck to her winning that law suit in California. If it was Texas, maybe she could win. In Cali, no chance.

The first claim is that Disney was in violation of 1101b "Controlling or directing, or tending to control or direct the political activities or affiliations of employees". Except, that was not the case. As with all companies, you must not inflict reputational damage to the company. You're free to participate in your political activities but, if you bring reputational damage to the company, then they're are free to fire you. It's one of the things that's bog standard in most employee contracts. If you've ever read worked for a big company, go review your contract and the employee handbook. You'll see it as it's one of the terms of employment.

Her second claim is basically her first claim but again, that will be easily debunked.

The third claim is for sexual discrimination which is beyond laughable. The whole lawsuit is selectively crafted to tell a narrative that doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. She was blacklisted from Disney before but by filing this lawsuit, she's completely blacklisted herself from all of Hollywood. Nobody will hire an actress that sues their employer period. There are just way too many wannabe actresses willing to take your position.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No, it doesn't.

All the Tweet is trying to highlight is the divide and conquer tactic that the powerful have used since the dawn of civilization. You're insane if you think she's equating the holocaust with being a conservative in America. She's not. We all know she's not. She's shining a light on a divisive political tools we should all be aware of.

And again, we live in an era where one side is allowed to use Hitler / Nazi / Genocide comparisons to Republicans and no one beats an eye.

Susan Sarandon can tweet the same exact thing and no one beats an eye.

Stop this nonsense.
Pretty sure people were calling for Sarandon's stuff to be removed from the Disney catalog.
Carano definitely got hit extra hard because of being right wing - but there is another difference. She made these comparisons on behalf of herself, whereas Sarandon and the Pedro tweet were making these comparisons on behalf of other people.
Saying I see a parallel between how these people are being treated and the jews in the holocaust is much more acceptable than I see a parallel between how I am being treated and the jews in the holocaust.

Which law are you specifically citing. You made a generic claim with no evidence to back it up.
I looked it up. California employment law does not allow political retaliation in the workplace because of political activity that took place on your own time. If you want a specific law, that would be California Labor Code section 1101 and California Labor Code section 1102.

Here's someone talking about it on you tube, although without the specific labor codes:

As with all companies, you must not inflict reputational damage to the company. You're free to participate in your political activities but, if you bring reputational damage to the company, then they're are free to fire you.
Not when it violates the law. See civil rights example above.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Pretty sure people were calling for Sarandon's stuff to be removed from the Disney catalog.
Carano definitely got hit extra hard because of being right wing - but there is another difference. She made these comparisons on behalf of herself, whereas Sarandon and the Pedro tweet were making these comparisons on behalf of other people.
Saying I see a parallel between how these people are being treated and the jews in the holocaust is much more acceptable than I see a parallel between how I am being treated and the jews in the holocaust.

In what way was Gina compare herself to Jews in the holocaust? Genuinely can't see that.

ManaByte

Gold Member
About that, this just dropped.

ManaByte ManaByte

Judge Joe Brown GIF

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Her little outburts saved Disney a lot of money then I guess. Their spin offs and mini-series have been extremely hit or miss. I don't think she would have been able to carry one on her own.

Fbh

Nah you would've watched a Faverau/Filoni series with Carano as an Alderaanian Shock Trooper flying around the galaxy fucking up Imperials.

Nah I'm pretty much done with SW shows and movies.
Might give it another chance if/when they change the creative team and make something set 100 years before or after the OT.

I'm still up for future games though, fun gameplay can make up for mediocre stories and characters like Respawn games.

NickFire

You're the one missing the context. If Disney feels Carano's involvement would lead to lower profitability, it is perfectly valid to fire her for underperformance. If the fans don't want to see the content because of you and it's affecting Disney's bottom line, they can fire you. In fact, it's not like they fired her out of the blue. She was warned several times but it's like she had Headstrong by Trapt playing in her head constantly. She's not the first person Disney has fired for public controversy and she won't be the last. Social media has given people a false sense of "empowerment" with a false belief that there are no consequence for your actions. As a result, everyone and their mother want to tell you "their truth".
Yes they can fire people. But let's not pretend that Disney fired her for affecting their bottom line. She was fired for the same reason companies keep making shitty movies that flop. To make the twitter mob happy (in my opinion at least). Nothing more. Nothing less.

Last edited:

deathsaber

I did not like her firing, and I'm a democrat. Just don't think people should be fired for political talk or whatever. I don't agree with a lot of what she has to say politically, but I enjoyed her work and her character on the show and she shouldn't have been fired over the tweets. She expressed opinions and didn't break any laws. Melissa Barrera shouldn't have been fired from Scream also, for same reasons. It's just crap when people lose their livelihood for having legal discourse on crap happening in the world.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

So did James Gunn, but Disney re-hired him. They're using that in the lawsuit as well.

And yes, she was targeted. The guy from i09 admitted to basically harassing Disney via phone calls "for months" until they fired her.
Gunn got rehired because of his moves with Warners. Disney realised they needed him when they saw he got support elsewhere.

Winter John

Gold Member
I'm not saying women's MMA wasn't a thing. Clearly it was. Just that Gina's potential appeal meant that broadcasters like CBS and Showtime were willing to take a chance on her and therefore women's MMA in general. When Gina fought on CBS the ratings went up, when her fight ended they went back down. It's something that promoters and broadcasters notice and look to build on. That's why Strikeforce main evented with her. That show was a huge breakthrough moment for women's MMA and the promotional appeal came from Carano, not Cyborg. After all, with the EliteXC show on CBS, Gina was on the main card on network TV and Cyborg was on the unaired prelims despite Cyborg's fight being for that division's title.

This isn't about how good a fighter she was or wasn't. It's about the appeal she had and how that grew the women's divisions as a result. She was a huge part of the reason Elite XC and Strikeforce pushed their women's divisions.

Yeh Valentina Shevchenko and Amanda Nunez are clearly better fighters than Gina ever was. But how big were the shows they were fighting on before Gina was a thing? Not exactly on a CBS or Showtime level. were they? In the timeline of women's MMA there's before Gina Carano and after Gina Carano. It took a step up because of her and then took another because of Ronda Rousey.

Bethe Correia, Holly Holm and Joanna Jędrzejczyk hadn't fought in MMA before Gina's fights.

Ronda might not have gotten into MMA if Strikeforce weren't showcasing its women's divisions and therefore creating a path to a decent career rather than just small regional shows. Her having medalled in Judo was no guarantee she would then move to MMA.

Also, people were speculating on Gina returning to MMA for years after her retirement.
Dude I don’t know where you’re getting your info from but Cyborg wasn’t some nobody. The promo appeal didn’t come from a fighter with a 6-0 record. The appeal came from a known fighter from Top Team who had a reputation for beating the living shit out of her opponents. You think anyone gave a fuck about Carano? Come on guy. There wasn’t a single MMA fan who wasn’t salivating at the thought of seeing Cyborg go to town on her. The betting odds on that night alone were enough to put off anyone who didn’t have 10 grand to spare.

As for Valentina. You know the MMA world goes beyond CBS right? Valentina was a star long before she arrived on the US circuit. Fuck I remember Rogan telling us she was gonna be massive back in 2007. We were all, yeah no shit Sherlock.

Holm was fighting MMA matches down in Mexico City long before Gina ever appeared. I know because I saw her ish ish ish a bunch of times down there. I once saw her beat the Christ out of one of Paes’s team mates one night. That chick looked like she’d been run over by an 18 ton truck.

I know it looks like I’m hand waving Carano’s career. I probably am for the most part. I guess that article rubs me the wrong way in how it portrays her as having this central role in WMMA when the reality is she was outclassed by a bunch of other fighters before Cyborg came along and beat the fuck out of her

DKehoe

Dude I don’t know where you’re getting your info from but Cyborg wasn’t some nobody. The promo appeal didn’t come from a fighter with a 6-0 record. The appeal came from a known fighter from Top Team who had a reputation for beating the living shit out of her opponents. You think anyone gave a fuck about Carano? Come on guy. There wasn’t a single MMA fan who wasn’t salivating at the thought of seeing Cyborg go to town on her. The betting odds on that night alone were enough to put off anyone who didn’t have 10 grand to spare.

As for Valentina. You know the MMA world goes beyond CBS right? Valentina was a star long before she arrived on the US circuit. Fuck I remember Rogan telling us she was gonna be massive back in 2007. We were all, yeah no shit Sherlock.

Holm was fighting MMA matches down in Mexico City long before Gina ever appeared. I know because I saw her ish ish ish a bunch of times down there. I once saw her beat the Christ out of one of Paes’s team mates one night. That chick looked like she’d been run over by an 18 ton truck.

I know it looks like I’m hand waving Carano’s career. I probably am for the most part. I guess that article rubs me the wrong way in how it portrays her as having this central role in WMMA when the reality is she was outclassed by a bunch of other fighters before Cyborg came along and beat the fuck out of her
Cyborg wasn’t some total nobody but Carano was the bigger star. Why was Cyborg’s title fight on the unaired prelims of that EliteXC card while Carano was on the main card? Do you really think that the promotional appeal that led to Carano vs Cyborg headlining a Strikeforce show came from where Cyborg trained?

Listen to the difference in reaction the two got at the weigh in. Carano is even being called “the face of women’s MMA” for a fight where she’s not the champion.

Yeh MMA goes beyond CBS. But Shevchenko’s closest fight to 2007 was in 2006 at a small show in Russia. If we’re talking impact on the sport and the growth of WMMA you really can’t compare those.

I feel like we’re maybe taking about different things here. How good Carano was is kinda beside the point. I’m not claiming she was a top level talent. She can be outclassed by a bunch of other fighters while also having a key role in WMMA. What I’m taking about is the spotlight she brought to women’s MMA at the time. The promotional nature of MMA means that someone doesn’t have to be good to be important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom