• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a kindle, what should I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esiquio

I just got the Kindle (3G) for Valentine's Day from my wonderful wife after having to sell my previous Kindle (2nd Gen) when I needed cash badly. I really missed my Kindle for several months until my wife totally surprised me last week.

So, you can do a lot of cool things with your Kindle, jailbreak or not. Personally, I jailbreak pretty much any electronic I own, but I make an exception for the Kindle. The extra functionality isn't worth it to me to ruin the warranty (although I hear certain things won't void your warranty), and make no mistake, the customer service is fantastic. With my old Kindle, I got a small scratch on the screen and I felt the battery wasn't lasting as long as I'd like. I called customer service and they replaced the thing THE NEXT DAY.

Anyways, some shortcuts:

Take a screenshot: Alt + Shift + G
You can seen the screenshots in the \documents folder when you connect it to a computer. It looks like this:

screen_shot-16896.gif

Screen refresh: Alt + G
Sometimes this is good for the Kindle Daily Post. In case you haven't noticed, the pages there turn differently...i.e. the whole screen doesn't refresh, just the main body of text, making "page turns" very fast. The 3rd Gen Kindle's screen is noticeably better than the 2nd Gen one, so this command isn't totally needed very often.

Minesweeper & GoMoku: Alt + Shift + M
GoMoku is very fun, but I was never really into Minesweeper. There are several games you can download on the Kindle, some free, some not. Everything from Word Search to Chess. Personally, I love that the Kindle is really just focused on reading. With my iPhone I get too easily distracted...

Alt + Spacebar: Play music! You can also do this from the Experimental screen. As far as I know, you can only play MP3's, but the quality is quite nice. The 3rd Gen speakers seem somewhat quieter than the 2nd Gen ones, but that might be just me.

View Images: Open the Kindle up on the computer and create a new folder in root named "pictures". Create another folder within this and then place the pictures in there. You will then see it in the Home screen.

There are MANY other shortcuts and tricks, here's a list to the absolutely most thorough list that exists:

http://blog.diannegorman.net/2010/09/kindle-3-keyboard-shortcuts-et-al/

Calculator & Modem Info Menu:

There are all sorts of nerdy tricks you can do, like use the search bar as a calculator and even do trig functions and assign variables. I like going to the Settings screen and looking at the secret information screens. Look at your keyboard. Notice how there is no numbers on it, like there was on the previous Kindles. Well, pressing and holding Alt + Q will type a 1. Alt + W is 2. I think you get the point. Try 311, 411, 611 & 711 in Settings.

3.1 Firmware Update:

Also, I highly recommend downloading the 3.1 firmware if you already haven't. The way it manages magazines and blogs is much better. This page has the download link and instructions:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelg?nodeId=200529700

Manage Your Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle
From there, you can manage all your subscriptions, LEND BOOKS, etc.

Kindle Customer Support:
1-866-321-8851
Like I said before, they are pretty fantastic and picked up the phone within a minute every time I called. If they can't fix your problem quickly they'll elevate you to specialized support as well.

If have any other questions, feel free to ask! KindleGAF unite!

Kano On The Phone said:
You understand that the whole "buy an iPad" as a response to eReader threads is a running joke, right? No one with higher brain functions would suggest an iPad over a Kindle for any reading that isn't comic books.
But he wasn't talking about people with higher brain functions, he's talking about Apple fans.

FACE!

Davedough

Esiquio said:
I just got the Kindle (3G) for Valentine's Day from my wonderful wife after having to sell my previous Kindle (2nd Gen) when I needed cash badly. I really missed my Kindle for several months until my wife totally surprised me last week.

So, you can do a lot of cool things with your Kindle, jailbreak or not. Personally, I jailbreak pretty much any electronic I own, but I make an exception for the Kindle. The extra functionality isn't worth it to me to ruin the warranty (although I hear certain things won't void your warranty), and make no mistake, the customer service is fantastic. With my old Kindle, I got a small scratch on the screen and I felt the battery wasn't lasting as long as I'd like. I called customer service and they replaced the thing THE NEXT DAY.

Anyways, some shortcuts:

Take a screenshot: Alt + Shift + G
You can seen the screenshots in the \documents folder when you connect it to a computer. It looks like this:

Screen refresh: Alt + G
Sometimes this is good for the Kindle Daily Post. In case you haven't noticed, the pages there turn differently...i.e. the whole screen doesn't refresh, just the main body of text, making "page turns" very fast. The 3rd Gen Kindle's screen is noticeably better than the 2nd Gen one, so this command isn't totally needed very often.

Minesweeper & GoMoku: Alt + Shift + M
GoMoku is very fun, but I was never really into Minesweeper. There are several games you can download on the Kindle, some free, some not. Everything from Word Search to Chess. Personally, I love that the Kindle is really just focused on reading. With my iPhone I get too easily distracted...

Alt + Spacebar: Play music! You can also do this from the Experimental screen. As far as I know, you can only play MP3's, but the quality is quite nice. The 3rd Gen speakers seem somewhat quieter than the 2nd Gen ones, but that might be just me.

View Images: Open the Kindle up on the computer and create a new folder in root named "pictures". Create another folder within this and then place the pictures in there. You will then see it in the Home screen.

There are MANY other shortcuts and tricks, here's a list to the absolutely most thorough list that exists:

http://blog.diannegorman.net/2010/09/kindle-3-keyboard-shortcuts-et-al/

Calculator & Modem Info Menu:

There are all sorts of nerdy tricks you can do, like use the search bar as a calculator and even do trig functions and assign variables. I like going to the Settings screen and looking at the secret information screens. Look at your keyboard. Notice how there is no numbers on it, like there was on the previous Kindles. Well, pressing and holding Alt + Q will type a 1. Alt + W is 2. I think you get the point. Try 311, 411, 611 & 711 in Settings.

3.1 Firmware Update:

Also, I highly recommend downloading the 3.1 firmware if you already haven't. The way it manages magazines and blogs is much better. This page has the download link and instructions:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelg?nodeId=200529700

Manage Your Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle
From there, you can manage all your subscriptions, LEND BOOKS, etc.

Kindle Customer Support:
1-866-321-8851
Like I said before, they are pretty fantastic and picked up the phone within a minute every time I called. If they can't fix your problem quickly they'll elevate you to specialized support as well.

If have any other questions, feel free to ask! KindleGAF unite!

Between this and the Mangle link, I just fell in love with my Kindle 3 again. Thanks for that.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I found these guides helpful :

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

Easy way of hacking the Kindle to replace the awful 'dead author' screen saver images on it with whatever you want, as well as a hack to change the reading/system fonts.

I replaced my default font with the Droid family and I prefer it - they have heaps of different options there, check it out.

Actually - take note, just saw this :

Update 3.1 Warning
Update 3.1 broke the jailbreak. Don't update a hacked Kindle unless you know what you're getting into (Check the latest pages [as of right now, around pg. 92] for more details).

While that refers to updating an already-hacked Kindle, guess you can't be too careful. I updated mine when it was at 3.0.1 so went smoothly. If yours is already 3.1, not sure how it'd go.

Mangle is all well and good and I tried it out for a while but the problem is that the memory space is so limited on the kindle. It's clearly meant for ebooks primarily and having tens of converted manga pdfs on there is going to take up a large amount of room. The normal size kindle is also too small to read a lot of manga comfortably.

I find that overall it really isn't that useful for that purpose.

bengraven

SnakeswithLasers said:
But he wasn't talking about people with higher brain functions, he's talking about Apple fans.

FACE!

high-ass_five.jpg

Wormdundee said:
Mangle is all well and good and I tried it out for a while but the problem is that the memory space is so limited on the kindle. It's clearly meant for ebooks primarily and having tens of converted manga pdfs on there is going to take up a large amount of room. The normal size kindle is also too small to read a lot of manga comfortably.

I find that overall it really isn't that useful for that purpose.

This was what I asked earlier. Do they convert the PDFs to a smaller file format? I can't put that many PDFs on my Kindle. Hell, I have more room on my cell phone than my Kindle and it's not even a smart phone.

I'd LOVE to finally finish Akira, but I have 1200 books on my Kindle and I don't want to delete half of them to make it work.

holmes182

Neo Member
Just got one of these for my missus for her birthday. She's a big book fan and it took me ages to convince her to get one. Now she's got it though she absolutely loves it. The fact she can always have access to a book and not have to go to the shop to buy one is the biggest selling point.

Aad

bengraven said:
how does this work anyway? Have you tried it? I was going to do it on a Sunday afternoon while my kid was napping but the instructions looked a bit complicated and I was worried there wouldn't be much space for more than just a handful of books on the Kindle afterwards.

Follow the instructions on the mangle site (it's a breeze). The final result is great and the program compresses the images in size so volumes don't take up much space.

Yes I use it myself occasionally.

Davedough

I just did the Mangle thing... its friggen brilliant. Sure, there might be space constraints... I dont even know what my Kindle 3 can hold, but I've got 200 books on mine and just added my first manga volume. Looks really good and very crisp.

Esiquio

vazel said:
The Kindle should've come with an ebook instruction manual in its memory.
It does! It's just not quite as thorough as some websites out there.

Davedough said:
I just did the Mangle thing... its friggen brilliant. Sure, there might be space constraints... I dont even know what my Kindle 3 can hold, but I've got 200 books on mine and just added my first manga volume. Looks really good and very crisp.
The Kindle 3rd Gen can hold a little over 3GB. If you press Menu the top-left of the screen will display your free space.

One of the bigger things I found out when I first got my Kindle 3 was that classic books are put up for free. So awesome. I also got a screen protector and one of those fake leather bindings with the plug in light. So god damn useful. If you like reading you'll love the Kindle.

Gallbaro

Banned
I have two, a wifi and a dx.

Oh and the DX is awesome for PDF's.

Between the DX and my Droid X I am covered in all the functionality I believe I need.

Edit: Every once in a while you can find ebooks 99% off, because of this beautiful capitalist system we live in. My theory is the publishers are trying to get the sales ranking up and so they collapse price every so often.

Edit2: I am so damn paranoid about the DRM risk though, so I do create a backup of the books I buy and strip them of the DRM.

bengraven

Trent Strong said:
But he's saving countless trees, and reducing global warming.

Don't feed the troll. This particular species is ebookus paperus. They like to come out in every e-book reader thread. Most of the time they don't care one way or the other, they're just technophobes or people who are such dedicated readers that they fear the plight of paper.

This one exhausted, however, I'm assuming has already fed earlier. He's just trying to get a few kills in before going off to bed.

movie_club

Petrie said:
I keep running into the problem when I try to read PDFs of blank pages all over, and then I tried Calibre, and every single time there would be 2 "L"'s in a row, it removes one of them. Readable, but it is driving me insane thus far. Anything else worth trying?
Cant you email it to your kindle email adress and have it converted?

bengraven said:
Don't feed the troll. This particular species is ebookus paperus. They like to come out in every e-book reader thread. Most of the time they don't care one way or the other, they're just technophobes or people who are such dedicated readers that they fear the plight of paper.

This one exhausted, however, I'm assuming has already fed earlier. He's just trying to get a few kills in before going off to bed.

smilie gif.

risk

was about to post a link to mangkle. I don't have a kindle, but that would be the first app i'd get.

Petrie

Banned
movie_club said:
Cant you email it to your kindle email adress and have it converted?

I tried this but I keep getting the same PDF sent back, possibly because the kindle 2 is supposed to be able to read PDFs?

I dunno where you live, but one thing I've noticed about my Kindle is that it's terrible in the cold. I live in New England and if I stick it in my backpack and take it outside in the winter, it's completely unresponsive until I take it back in and let it warm up for a while. The manual says the low point of the operating temp is somewhere around 32 degrees F. That's pretty inconvenient for people in northern states.

Sethtimus Prime

Neo Member
Junior Asparagus said:
I dunno where you live, but one thing I've noticed about my Kindle is that it's terrible in the cold. I live in New England and if I stick it in my backpack and take it outside in the winter, it's completely unresponsive until I take it back in and let it warm up for a while. The manual says the low point of the operating temp is somewhere around 32 degrees F. That's pretty inconvenient for people in northern states.

There is also some ghosting on the screen when you first turn it on and it's a little cold. It goes away after a few minutes of use though, and is really only noticeable when in the menus, so it's not a huge issue. I love my Kindle. I was able to get my non Amazon books to sync my place over Whispernet in the android Kindle app on my phone.

Madds

Man, I really feel for you, OP. I am having the exact same problem, but it doesn't look like you're getting the answers you're looking for in this thread.

Using Calibre, I converted a bunch of books to PDF and manually added them to the Kindle. About 3/4 of the way through each chapter, all the remaining pages would be blank. I haven't found a solution yet, but I'll let you know if I do.

It sucks, but what I've found is that the Kindle is fantastic for books purchased on Amazon that have the .azw format, but it stinks for almost everything else. I also have a Sony Reader Pocket, which is pretty cheap (I think you can find them for $120 now) and is much more format friendly (LRF, PDF, EPUB, etc).

Edit: According to this link, books converted to the MOBI format work better on the Kindle than PDF.

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2009/08/million-free-google-books-in-epub-for.html

Esiquio

OP, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that PDF's sent through USB are mostly fine but have some blank pages? And converting them yields different problems? You do have the Kindle 3, right? You can try updating the firmware, or send me a copy of the PDF if it isn't something personal that you don't want to share. I can take a look at it for sure. I've used Calibre a lot and personally have seen the Harry Potter books on PDF on the Kindle, which comes of perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom