• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Can't Get Into Stargate

I've actually watched quite a few episodes on the Meteor antenna channel. They play about three or four episodes in one day as reruns.

I don't know but there's just something I cannot get into this show and I love science fiction. The characters other than Richard Dean Anderson really don't interest me, I think the set pieces look really cheap especially even compared to something like Star Trek the Next Generation. There doesn't seem to be a ton of action and everybody looks like a human being. Sometimes some human being type guy shows up and he sounds robotic and monotonous but I'm guessing that's the little Go'Ould worms or whatever that can have at their body.

Recently, I got into Farscape and I'm enjoying that a lot more especially all the weird aliens that pop up. My only complaint with that show would be is it's really bizarre.

I guess I'm trying to figure out why Stargate is so popular. It's just my personal opinion but I find it very boring. I don't know if there's anyone who could convince me otherwise. I should be specific and say that I'm watching Stargate SG-1.

Liljagare

Something is wrong with you.

Try to watch Babylon 5 too so we can properly diagnose you!! :9

Naw, there are too many hit or miss episodes in early Stargate, but S3 is epic, so don't feel bad. :) Farscape was pretty awesome, don't skip the movies.

Then do yourself a favour and watch Lexx.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I dont know how good the tv show was, but the movie was terrible.

How Dare You Greta GIF

The movie was great!

Doom85

the spice.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

I never watched Stargate (well, the shows, I couldn’t even make it halfway through the movie) so this confuses me. When one is talking about sci-fi and spice, Dune is what one would normally think of. Is spice relevant to Stargate as well?

Back in the day the transition from the movie to the show was pretty smooth. IIRC they even shared a couple of minor actors. There was full-frontal nudity in the pilot!

-Minsc-

I liked SG1 back when I watched it 20-some years ago. Would I like it know? Hard to say.

Keep watching to understand the context of this.

j0YWn5o.jpg

Vyse

Gold Member
I actually started with Atlantis and loved it. Started up SG1 and absolutely loved it until the end. Fun ride that didn’t take itself that seriously.

On a side note, love how so many shows that were filmed in Canada had the same actors jump from show to show.

ahtlas7

Give Stargate Atlantis a try. It’s top tv scify, imo. Great cast, interesting stories and locations, nice sets, decent budget.

Facism

Been binging the shyte out of stargate this last month and a half. Looked up a chronological watch list and have finished sg1, it's movies and am currently season 5 in atlantis.

Annoyed universe died so early.

Annoyed universe died so early.
Really? Thought it was a total turd top-to-bottom. Though I kind of got a laugh how their discount Jonah Hill got friend-zoned in such a brutal fashion... Sorry, so much for living vicariously through that guy, Stargate nerds!

For me it's the original movie plus SG-1 for I guess the first five seasons? It didn't survive the move to Syfy. Whatever intrigue it had faded and everything got schlocky. I always meant to try to watch it again, I haven't watched any of it since its original run.

Atlantis was just kind of okay. Liked McKay... even kinda liked the commander chick... I think the doctor from Star Trek Voyager was on that show for some reason? That ugly chick they had to try to do the girl-version of Teal'C was terrible, and should never have been on TV, let alone a series regular.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've actually watched quite a few episodes on the Meteor antenna channel. They play about three or four episodes in one day as reruns.

I don't know but there's just something I cannot get into this show and I love science fiction. The characters other than Richard Dean Anderson really don't interest me, I think the set pieces look really cheap especially even compared to something like Star Trek the Next Generation. There doesn't seem to be a ton of action and everybody looks like a human being. Sometimes some human being type guy shows up and he sounds robotic and monotonous but I'm guessing that's the little Go'Ould worms or whatever that can have at their body.

Recently, I got into Farscape and I'm enjoying that a lot more especially all the weird aliens that pop up. My only complaint with that show would be is it's really bizarre.

I guess I'm trying to figure out why Stargate is so popular. It's just my personal opinion but I find it very boring. I don't know if there's anyone who could convince me otherwise. I should be specific and say that I'm watching Stargate SG-1.

Farscape is real good - the bizarrely nature of it is well intended. Well worth sticking with it.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Stargate is amazing. But the beginning is a little weak. Try to do all of season one. If by he end of it you are still uninterested, this is not for you. But Richard Dean Anderson will still be the best in the series so that will not change at least.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Push through season 1. When you get to the episode with the blue men crew singing just go to the next episode.

The thing about Stargate is that it just keeps going. You ever watch a show and be like "man it would be crazy if the show actually goes there." Well they go there. Over and over. And it just keeps going.

I tried a few years ago too. Couldn't do it. Loved the movie though. Same with Star Trek: Deep Space 9. Just not for me, or I gotta be in a completely different mood to even be receptive to it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
my favorite series. Currently rewatching universe which is the weakest of the group.
The best part.....BY FAR...of that show

Vwdy26X.jpg

That whole show was so miserable, so negative, just a compete missed opportunity and total misunderstanding of what people wanted from Stargate.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I loved the Stargate movies/series. But I think they've aged badly. A reboot wouldn't be bad, the same with Battlestar Galactica.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It is because you are a terrible person. Only terrible people don’t like Stargate. You don’t want to be a terrible person, do you?

Also, Amazon bought mgm years ago. When is it coming to prime?!

Kenpachii

Vwdy26X.jpg

That whole show was so miserable, so negative, just a compete missed opportunity and total misunderstanding of what people wanted from Stargate.

The serie just felt like they had nothing to work with really. Most actors had dreadful story's or lines. Rush the lead scientist guy was the most negative piece of shit to look at nobody could cheer for a second for, eli got cucked so hard in the series and never did anything useful really, everybody else just felt like filler nobody really stood out.

I think the concept was probably the best, and it would be really interesting to see what they would do with it. But the aliens / enemy's and shitty story lines killed it off really fast.

They tried to pull the old cast from the other series into universe more and the same enemy's, but it kind a didn't fit the whole serie as it was supposed to be a departure of the other ones. So that misfired as well.

While being the worst stargate, still its stargate and i am a sucker for stargate so watch it now and then when i forgot about it.

But i agree with you, that chick had some knockers.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The serie just felt like they had nothing to work with really. Most actors had dreadful story's or lines. Rush the lead scientist guy was the most negative piece of shit to look at nobody could cheer for a second for, eli got cucked so hard in the series and never did anything useful really, everybody else just felt like filler nobody really stood out.

I think the concept was probably the best, and it would be really interesting to see what they would do with it. But the aliens / enemy's and shitty story lines killed it off really fast.

They tried to pull the old cast from the other series into universe more and the same enemy's, but it kind a didn't fit the whole serie as it was supposed to be a departure of the other ones. So that misfired as well.

While being the worst stargate, still its stargate and i am a sucker for stargate so watch it now and then when i forgot about it.

But i agree with you, that chick had some knockers.
Yeah, the entire concept was flawed. The problem with "we are WAAAAAY out there and are trying to get home" is you then lose any continuity and are highly dependent on an ever changing external environment. Its the reverse of "earth/B5 is home base, we go to random planets each episode" because you can still go back to a previous planet and have still on Earth. But SGU (and Voyager) were stuck on a small ship and ought to be moving so fast they are basically outrunning any local response. It's not a "fish out of water" story like Andromeda, Dark Matter, or Farscape either, where at least those crews had touchpoints and recurring locations. Even Lexx, which was just silly and kinda nonsensical, had a more grounded premise than SGU.

Throw in a very unlikable cast with a dearth of professionalism and competence...yikes. They never really gelled, never really found the uniting external threat, and for a massive ancient spaceship, the hulk itself was woefully underutilized.

RAÏSanÏa

Indeed.

I liked the movie and the first couple seasons of Atlantis for their takes on strange aliens, but wouldn't insist anyone watch them without nuanced interest in strange aliens.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The only SG1 episode that still stands out for me was the bodyswap one. That was class.

Oh, and maybe wormhole extreme.

Stargate is honestly better than most of Star Trek.

Watch the show in order. It's mostly episodic but there are running story threads that progress sporadically over the episodes and the characters actually get significant development over each season.

The only SG1 episode that still stands out for me was the bodyswap one. That was class.
Holiday, really? Its generally considered a weaker episode.

Last edited:

NahaNago

The only stargate tv show I didnt like was the one with the crew stuck on the ship in space. I would love another stargate movie. They could even make it a trilogy. Stargate the show and Atlantis were good as well .

Last edited:

RaduN

The TV show is B-tier material (or worse). Low budget, B movie actors, B movie directors and writers. I mean, even back then it was bad compared to other shows, but it was watchable (Atlantis even more so).
I guess by today's standards, you might as well skip it, it is simply not worth it, in any shape or form.

Your gonna have to disclose your age because this show is about 25 years old, that’s a quarter of a century.
For me and my peers that saw the original Stargate movie in theaters as teenagers. It was the fucking tits!

Then a few years later there’s a tv show that continues the storyline from the movie and on top of that it stars fucking McGuiver….

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The TV show is B-tier material (or worse). Low budget, B movie actors, B movie directors and writers. I mean, even back then it was bad compared to other shows, but it was watchable (Atlantis even more so).
I guess by today's standards, you might as well skip it, it is simply not worth it, in any shape or form.
Fuck You Ash Ketchum GIF by Mashed

Vwdy26X.jpg

The show had so much going for it.
I thought the ship design was spot on for being what? 66 million years old.

The idea of it barreling through the universe heading heading towards the singularity of the Big Bang cause of an artificial radio signal?(refresh my memory) and it’s a ship created before the Stargate's were even operational but has a prototype gate on the ship knowing the gates would eventually come to fruition. I really liked the idea of it and the show had a few great moments in it. And the fact that stars Francis (Franco) Begbie (Robert Carlyle) was a plus…. Oh what could’ve been and that was the last we heard of Stargate.

Top Bottom