• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

I'm pretty sure saying people should be killed/shot/die in a fire/etc. for trivial reasons is a bannable offense, or at least it used to be (back when Dragona and Red Scarlet were mods).

This game is incredible. It didn't unseat Galaxy 2 for my game of the year but it was a close second.
I beat all the levels with all the puzzle pieces and KONG letters but I doubt I'll give the gold medals a shot. Speed runs aren't really my thing. Wasn't there something else though- beating levels without getting hit? Maybe I'll give that a go.

I loved how difficult this game was. My wife was laughing at me swearing at the TV a few times.

Yeah, you're thinking of Mirror Mode where you have to beat every level as DK only without getting hit... While the entire level is reversed. Takes quite awhile to get your head around due to how pretty much very platformer ever created is right-to-left, but it's satisfying when you complete them.

JoeFenix

Threi said:
love em.

and the dude that did all the gold trials on youtube (and posted them here) said he didn't mind the motion controls at all either. Maybe his opinion changed though for some reason, i dunno.

Yeah, I'm the guy you're talking about and I had zero issues with the motion controls while going for Shiny Gold medals in time trials.

I'm so sick of hearing people say that the controls are broken for time trials....

mclem

It's a weird concept, but I think it's valid to say that the level design had personality. Even if said personality *was* a murderous psychopath half the time.

My girlfriend and I have had this game since it came out and have yet to beat it. Granted, we don't have all that much time with school and work. We're on the last world.

Her 8 year old sister got a Wii and this game about a month back. We went home to visit this past weekend, and she had already beaten this game.

Of course, she acted like it's no big deal, while we're stuck and can't get past the the last rocket-jet (or whatever it's called) stage.

Why are little kids so good at games?

Cyan said:
Damn, you gaming siders are way uptight.

If it makes you feel any better, backseat modding is also a bannable offense.
Warning someone that they're breaking the rules != backseat modding. If that was the case, you'd also be backseat modding just by telling me that I'm backseat modding.

Yuterald

Kind of missed the boat with all the discussion and hype on Gaf with this game because I did not have an account when it was released, but I played the shit out of it and got all Shiny Gold Medals. DKCR is definitely one of my favorite platformers ever and it's probably my favorite Wii game.

If anyone cares to look I posted videos of all my Shiny Gold Medal runs on youtube. I know there are tons of videos for these now, probably with better times too, but I think I was one of the first people in the world to earn every Shiny Gold Medal. Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlbertWeskerUMB#p/u/3/meivyTDuXvk

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
up to (what seems to be) the last boss, and there's a glaring design flaw in it. if you die on the first attempt of reaching him you lose Diddy (and the extra hearts he provides) and any subsequent attempts on the boss have to be done with only two hearts. makes the fight so fucking hard.

why design it so that the first attempt you have 4 hearts, but all remaining attempts you have only 2?

also the bounce back collision on the boss's head is too large. makes it so fucking hard to land on the red button as the fight progresses and the reaction time to jump on it gets reduced.

this boss is probably the only example i can give in DKCR of flawed and frustrating design. the rest of the game is amazing though.

jintek

Banned
Cyan said:
Aaaand finally done. Probably won't go back and get shiny golds on everything, unless I can use a classic controller. :/

Final verdict: fucking awesome game. One of my favorite Wii games period. There's something so pure about a 2d platformer. Don't get me wrong; I loved both Galaxies. But this was platforming perfection.

Completely agreed! I actually consider DKCR and Super Meat Boy to be the best 2D platformer's this gen. And up there w/ Yoshi's Island, MM2/9, and SMB3 for the best I've ever played.

I recently just got back into finishing up my Time Attack runs (World 5 onward), and so far I'm a man defeated. Getting Shiny Golds is no joke! Although it does shine a light on how impressive and deep the level design was in DKCR, it really accommodated almost all skill levels.

I also love how this is one of the only recent big title platformers where the weight of the character actually is accounted for and used. You can almost feel DK's weight in this game, I can't imagine how long that took to get right. The transitions (aside from the loading screens) were great in here as well. Notably the respawn time, which was pitch perfect.

I hope Retro was just being coy about "no current plans for a sequel", because this is one of the few games I'd love to see one. Considering that World 7 and Golden Temple were probably where Retro really took the gloves off design wise, I'd love to see them build on that in a sequel.

Edit: Playing on a CC Pro myself for speed runs. But I beat the game w/ the Wiimote held sideways.

Grampasso

peppermints said:
My girlfriend and I have had this game since it came out and have yet to beat it. Granted, we don't have all that much time with school and work. We're on the last world.

Her 8 year old sister got a Wii and this game about a month back. We went home to visit this past weekend, and she had already beaten this game.

Of course, she acted like it's no big deal, while we're stuck and can't get past the the last rocket-jet (or whatever it's called) stage.

Why are little kids so good at games?
As kids, they have no set mind scheme yet.
Adults do, and you know, it's difficult to put something else in a cup already filled ;)

Sofo

My only problem with this game is that both characters aren't completely independant thus sometimes rendering one of the user mad at the other one. I would trade that for no clipping between them (just like NSMBWii) and give Donkey something that functions as Diddy's rockets. Also wall jump, please!

Other than that, love the game and how mean it is. With my fiancé we reached the third world and we were getting our asses handed repeatedly. ):

I'm in the line of thinking that Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong-Quest is one of the greatest sidescrollers ever made, and that its so good that afterwords the Donkey Kong Country series had no where else to go but down, and Donkey Kong Country returns did not change my opinion on that.

I think the biggest thing that kills this game are the motion controls. I'm a big fan of motion controls. I think when done right they absolutely improve games. The Metroid Prime Trilogy, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes, and Okami are good examples. On the other hand, I feel that there are games where motion controls do not belong and Donkey Kong Country Returns is one of them. They don't jell with the game, they are blatantly shoe horned in, and they are extremely distracting and unnatural feeling. If I was to give the game a score out of ten, it lost two points due to how bad of an idea forcing motion controls into this game where, and the lack of an option on not using them.

I think another failure on the part of the game is the music. Too many of the songs are remixes from Donkey Kong Country 1 and the original songs are extremely forgettable. I can't recall a single one. Donkey Kong Country 2's soundtrack was so much better in every way.

I'm also not a fan of the visuals. They're well animated and rendered, but they just seem lifeless to me I also would have preferred they used prerendered 3D models like they did in the original trilogy and gone balls out with it. Over all, I feel Donkey Kong Country 2 is still more aesthetically pleasing. I also think the environments chosen retread on areas the series has already covered. The silhouette levels look great though.

The enemies are also very inferior compared to Donkey Kong Country 2's enemy variety in both purpose and charm. Every enemy in Donkey Kong Country served as a very specific obstacle and purpose in and of themselves. Way to many of the enemies in DKCR are jump fodder. Also, Tikis? Really?

The levels are good, but I find myself unable to enjoy them because of all the baggage holding the game down. I'm also really disappointed over Rambi being the only animal buddy. Sqwauks was awesome in Donkey Kong Country 2. I hate the Rocket Barrel Levels. I guess they provide the experience of riding a rocket made of wood, but that isn't exactly a fun thing. I'm also not a fan of the return to DCK1 style mine cart levels. Providing the mine carts each with their own specific gimmick in Donkey Kong Country 2 worked very well. Target Terror, Rickety Race, and Haunted Hallway, all had their own special gimmicks that made the levels more fun and interesting aside from the fact that you were riding a mine cart (Or roller coaster cart)

I stopped playing Donkey Kong Country Returns after I beat the valley boss. When it comes to video game series, I have a hard time playing games from the series when I feel the game I'm playing is drastically inferior to another entry in the series. I have a hard time playing Sonic 1 and 2 because I prefer Sonic 3&Knuckles so much over the other two games. Its the same with the 2D Metroid games and Mario games as well and its the same way with Donkey Kong Country Returns. All it did was remind me just how much I really love Donkey Kong Country 2.

Over all, I'd call it an 8 out of 10 game, but man I don't care for it at all.

dwu8991

Banned
OK NINTENDO CLUB POINTS

FOR UK ONLY

PUOSDDF6UIE125X

There is one letter missing! You have to guess what the last letter is!!!

Finally got the game this monday. And what a platformer! Easily rivaling NSMBW and Galaxy 2 so far (I'm on the 3rd world). The levels are insanely dense, every nook and cranny is acounted for, Retro being good at being Retro I guess :)
Played a few levels with my girlfriend as well, just as fun as NSMBW co-op.

The difficulty is really nice, except for the time trials. What the hell is up with that? I think I used a couple of hours yesterday trying to get just 1 gold medal. Closest I got was 1 second short in 1-1... I don't know if I'm missing a shortcut or something, but holy shit they are hard. Do you miss out on anything good by not getting all gold medals?

Can't wait for whatever game Retro is working on now.

Matchew

Can someone please help me? I think my game is broke, in stage 2-2 on the beach. I forgot what the name of the level is, but I know it is level 2-2 when you hit the second checkpoint you have to then ground pound the DK platform. When I do this the DK platform doesn't go all the way down and the back ground never comes up. I moved my controllers up and down as fast as I could and he does the pound but the platform doesn't go all the way down, please someone help.

I am at what I think is the final boss now
in the Volcano?

Wow, totally stuck on this one, it's really mean and for the first time in this game I would say its frustrating and unfair.
Firstly, having only 1 chance per continue to have Diddy with you is simply cunty, making the boss incredibly tricky to beat. If it wasn't for the stupid barrel sequence I would probably drop out and retry and have him with me.

The boss itself is unfair too at times; hitting the edge of his hand instead of the red part takes away a heart and the heart on the fire in the second phase? Fuck off, that's just unfair.

I'll do it in the end but currently I am feeling a little cheated by him, and seeing as the rest of the game was absolutely awesome its a shame the final boss has to be a shithead.

/rant.

ismaboof

KennyLinder said:
I am at what I think is the final boss now
in the Volcano?

Wow, totally stuck on this one, it's really mean and for the first time in this game I would say its frustrating and unfair.
Firstly, having only 1 chance per continue to have Diddy with you is simply cunty, making the boss incredibly tricky to beat. If it wasn't for the stupid barrel sequence I would probably drop out and retry and have him with me.

The boss itself is unfair too at times; hitting the edge of his hand instead of the red part takes away a heart and the heart on the fire in the second phase? Fuck off, that's just unfair.

I'll do it in the end but currently I am feeling a little cheated by him, and seeing as the rest of the game was absolutely awesome its a shame the final boss has to be a shithead.

/rant.

Not having a DK barrel at the beginning really was a dick move. But when you beat him having only start as DK, you feel like a boss

hyduK

Banned
Mortrialus said:
I'm in the line of thinking that Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong-Quest is one of the greatest sidescrollers ever made, and that its so good that afterwords the Donkey Kong Country series had no where else to go but down, and Donkey Kong Country returns did not change my opinion on that.

I think the biggest thing that kills this game are the motion controls. I'm a big fan of motion controls. I think when done right they absolutely improve games. The Metroid Prime Trilogy, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes, and Okami are good examples. On the other hand, I feel that there are games where motion controls do not belong and Donkey Kong Country Returns is one of them. They don't jell with the game, they are blatantly shoe horned in, and they are extremely distracting and unnatural feeling. If I was to give the game a score out of ten, it lost two points due to how bad of an idea forcing motion controls into this game where, and the lack of an option on not using them.

I think another failure on the part of the game is the music. Too many of the songs are remixes from Donkey Kong Country 1 and the original songs are extremely forgettable. I can't recall a single one. Donkey Kong Country 2's soundtrack was so much better in every way.

I'm also not a fan of the visuals. They're well animated and rendered, but they just seem lifeless to me I also would have preferred they used prerendered 3D models like they did in the original trilogy and gone balls out with it. Over all, I feel Donkey Kong Country 2 is still more aesthetically pleasing. I also think the environments chosen retread on areas the series has already covered. The silhouette levels look great though.

The enemies are also very inferior compared to Donkey Kong Country 2's enemy variety in both purpose and charm. Every enemy in Donkey Kong Country served as a very specific obstacle and purpose in and of themselves. Way to many of the enemies in DKCR are jump fodder. Also, Tikis? Really?

The levels are good, but I find myself unable to enjoy them because of all the baggage holding the game down. I'm also really disappointed over Rambi being the only animal buddy. Sqwauks was awesome in Donkey Kong Country 2. I hate the Rocket Barrel Levels. I guess they provide the experience of riding a rocket made of wood, but that isn't exactly a fun thing. I'm also not a fan of the return to DCK1 style mine cart levels. Providing the mine carts each with their own specific gimmick in Donkey Kong Country 2 worked very well. Target Terror, Rickety Race, and Haunted Hallway, all had their own special gimmicks that made the levels more fun and interesting aside from the fact that you were riding a mine cart (Or roller coaster cart)

I stopped playing Donkey Kong Country Returns after I beat the valley boss. When it comes to video game series, I have a hard time playing games from the series when I feel the game I'm playing is drastically inferior to another entry in the series. I have a hard time playing Sonic 1 and 2 because I prefer Sonic 3&Knuckles so much over the other two games. Its the same with the 2D Metroid games and Mario games as well and its the same way with Donkey Kong Country Returns. All it did was remind me just how much I really love Donkey Kong Country 2.

Over all, I'd call it an 8 out of 10 game, but man I don't care for it at all.

Donkey Kong Country 2 simply had a ridiculous level of charm to it. The music, enemies, locales, everything just meshed so fucking perfectly. DKC was pretty good in that regard too, but not on the same level as DKC2.

It did have some memorable music though:

Treetop Rock
Fear Factory

My biggest gripe with DKCR and DKC3 were the enemies. DKC3 just felt really cartoony, and DKCR didn't have any memorable enemies.

Finally beat the game. I decided over the weekend I was going to give it another shot. Had to turn down my co-op buddy though as that's what killed the mood on this game the first time around. Losing double lives each time was just way too much.

Final Boss stuff. I went into the final level with around 72 lives and ended with 33. Took me awhile to not die on the first jet pack part but once you get to the final boss it just killed me. Once I lost once with Diddy and not getting another barrel, it was way harder than it should be. I watched a YouTube video and when you have Diddy, it's a million times easier.

That's actually my only complaint for the game anymore. Either the game needed more Diddy barrels throughout each level or they shouldn't have given him a jet pack. It just isn't fair. Still, I found the game so much more enjoyable this time around. Guess I learned not every game can or should be played with a co-op partner just because you can.

I think DKC3 still retains my favorite Donkey Kong game though. This could be second. I really liked the music and gameplay. Some better enemies would be nice. I think if they did less tiki enemies and more actual animals it would have been better. The few levels with the hippos(?) on the poles they looked great. I would rather have had to dodge some other forest animals. There's plenty to choose from if you didn't want to go crocodiles again.

It's funny so many people like DKC2 as that was my least favorite at the time. Maybe I'll go back and play it again one day. After 1 and 3 of course. :p

Cyan said:
He's actually kind of a pushover once you work out his patterns. Clap = get to the outside and bounce on the edge of one hand. Slice = duck and stay put. Slapdown = get out the way, then hit him.

And the second form is easy once you get down the timing of him smashing down on you.

Oh man, I wish I thought of that. I ended up just doing a rolling jump to dodge it.

gerg said:
You said, and I quote:

Is this "bad" or not?

Is this "bad" or not?
No not necessarily "bad". Just inappropriate and jarring. They still technically work reliably.

gerg said:
Admittedly, the extent of your criticism regarding the minecart levels seems to be simply that they are unenjoyable.
Perhaps I could have explained it better. I don't enjoy minecart levels on the bases of them fixing your running speed. With Donkey Kong Country 2, there are three minecart levels that vastly improve upon the fixed running thing: Each minecart level had a specific gimmick that tied into the level fixing your running speed. Target Terror involved you having to open gates, Rickety Race was an actual race, and Haunted Hallway was a race against the clock to survive against Kackle. The added elements in addition with you auto running put them heads and shoulders above the DKCR ones.

fI must of tried a hundred times now to kill the final boss and I just can't do it.
The first phase is easy, but the 2nd phase with the enemies on fire its mean. The worst part is unless you jump TO THE PIXEL you get knocked back when jumping on his open mouth to hit the button. He is only open for such a short period of time on the 3rd "mouth open" bit that its VERY VERY hard.

It's ruined the game for me a bit actually because I feel cheated by its cheapness :(

Hiltz

KennyLinder said:
fI must of tried a hundred times now to kill the final boss and I just can't do it.
The first phase is easy, but the 2nd phase with the enemies on fire its mean. The worst part is unless you jump TO THE PIXEL you get knocked back when jumping on his open mouth to hit the button. He is only open for such a short period of time on the 3rd "mouth open" bit that its VERY VERY hard.

It's ruined the game for me a bit actually because I feel cheated by its cheapness :(

If you're getting too frustrated, you can always use the banana juice potion.

KarmaCow

KennyLinder said:

The window is short but it's easy to know when that window will be open. Roll jumping over the flames worked well for me.

KennyLinder said:

Cheapnes? Oh, don't go saying things like that. I thought he was quite easy myself (easier than a couple of the other bosses, anyway), so unless I'm a really cool person, he's not cheap. And I noticed nothing like having to be exact "to the pixel." Perhaps you are doing something wrong?

You know that on the third "mouth open" bit, you have to jump over the fire and land on the button in a single jump, right? You can't land in between, like you can on the other hits. That might be your problem.

gerg

Mortrialus said:
No not necessarily "bad". Just inappropriate and jarring. They still technically work reliably.

Perhaps I could have explained it better. I don't enjoy minecart levels on the bases of them fixing your running speed. With Donkey Kong Country 2, there are three minecart levels that vastly improve upon the fixed running thing: Each minecart level had a specific gimmick that tied into the level fixing your running speed. Target Terror involved you having to open gates, Rickety Race was an actual race, and Haunted Hallway was a race against the clock to survive against Kackle. The added elements in addition with you auto running put them heads and shoulders above the DKCR ones.

I'm now too tired to debate how one would should evaluate the quality of music and controls and whatnot, but I think the main problem is that you wrote (in the other thread) that the game was "bad" and an "insult" to DKC2 - whichever game people prefer, if you toned down the hyperbole lots more people would agree with you. I'm not sure why this should even be that disagreeable considering that you go to great lengths in your post in this thread to say that lots of the elements of the game are good and that you just don't enjoy them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Well, I finally beat the game after picking it up at launch.

What I enjoyed; the presentation is outstanding. The levels are varied and mostly unique. There are challenging platforming elements which I enjoy, and there's plenty of content. The music for the game was okay, albeit a bit repetitive in portions. Obviously there was a lot of music straight from, or inspired by the older titles which was nice.

What I didn't like; level design. Unlike what I consider God tier level designs in the Mario series (NSMBWii, World, 3), this game heavily punishes the player by having numerous leaps of faith, not letting the player know what they were suppose to do to progress. Thus, there are numerous levels which you learn, then die, then progress a bit more to learn the next step, and die once more. This is especially true if you're trying to collect puzzle pieces and letters.

A lot of designs seem to be based more on 'this will look really cool', rather than 'this will be a good challenge'. I'm not a fan, and the game screams at me that a bunch of design decisions were made by rookie platform developers/project managers. Even the last level which I mostly really enjoyed for being a pure skilled platforming level had a gigantic flaw
The bananas toward the end that swing around, the perspective is idiotic, expecting the player to know when to jump

I didn't find the controls to be incredibly tight, or responsive in every situation either.. and I'm not just talking about the 'should have been mapped' waggle controls. If you're going to put me in a situation where I have to make split second decisions without knowing what's next, at least make sure I have the tight controls to do it with. Especially ducking. I don't know.. maybe it's just me, but I find ducking the least responsive of any of the button controls. I tried changing Wiimotes up, playing from harddrive, playing from disc. But I'm now convinced it's just buggy. And as others have said, the Jet Barrels are a nightmare. I thought the first couple were entertaining, but after a while..

And while I said there's a lot of content, I didn't experience it all. I collected all the KONG letters and finished the bonus worlds.. but the puzzle pieces just didn't interest me after the first few worlds.. and time trailers, given my complaints about the controls would have killed me (literally) after a while.

I'm glad to see Donkey Kong Country reborn, and the title has its charms.. but ranks way down there on the Wii's list of incredible platforming titles.

Scrow said:
up to (what seems to be) the last boss, and there's a glaring design flaw in it. if you die on the first attempt of reaching him you lose Diddy (and the extra hearts he provides) and any subsequent attempts on the boss have to be done with only two hearts. makes the fight so fucking hard.

why design it so that the first attempt you have 4 hearts, but all remaining attempts you have only 2?

also the bounce back collision on the boss's head is too large. makes it so fucking hard to land on the red button as the fight progresses and the reaction time to jump on it gets reduced.

this boss is probably the only example i can give in DKCR of flawed and frustrating design. the rest of the game is amazing though.

Having Diddy is more of a bonus than anything else. I don't see this as a design flaw since the entire game is designed around just having Donkey Kong, i.e. there are no platforms, jumps, challenges, and bosses that require you have have Diddy to complete. Having Diddy just makes challenges a bit more easy.

The bosses mechanics are all pattern and timing based. Some, like the last boss have more elaborate patterns and very precise timing, that take some time to nail down.

Meier

Finally got around to it. It's a DKC game alright. They did a nice job with it but for me personally I think it's a bit repetitive in today's environment and I absolutely loath motion controls soooo yeah.

thomaser

Finally managed to beat all levels, including bonus levels, a couple of days ago. One of the best 2D platformers ever, in my opinion. I still like NSMB Wii better, both when it comes to controls, level design and overall gameplay, but DKCR definitely ranks up there with the best Mario games. It's just so tightly designed. And I love that the levels are laid out to accomodate speedrunners and expert players, just like in NSMB. I'm no expert myself, but it's always fascinating to see videos of what the best players can do. The only thing I didn't like was the blowing, which felt out of place, and was hard to do at first. But it's just another of those things you get good at as you get a feel for DK's momentum.

Sagitario

Meier said:
They did a nice job with it but for me personally I think it's a bit repetitive in today's environment...

What do you mean?

For me, the game was always throwing something new in each world/level.

damn I had like 60 lives all saved up for a few KONG runs i still need & my 5 year old niece went through them all on the first 2 levels. serves me right for not setting up her own save file.

Brother and I just beat the 3rd boss today, which was pretty awesome. There have been a lot of awesome moments so far, but it's hard to keep going because we keep dying...

Gomu Gomu

cooljeanius said:
Brother and I just beat the 3rd boss today, which was pretty awesome. There have been a lot of awesome moments so far, but it's hard to keep going because we keep dying...
It's only going to get harder as you go on. Trying to beat this game in co-op proved to be a super difficult task.

Throavium

Chuckpebble said:
I wanted to post this for two reasons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLFMKkGPHKQ

1. It briefly sums up how I feel about the game.
2. I want to present a friendly challenge to those who are playing the game without the motion controls. If you can record, even with a cell phone, I'd like to see if it can produce better results.

That kind of looks like a speed run, something I've yet to see for DKCR.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Throavium said:
That kind of looks like a speed run, something I've yet to see for DKCR.

Someone earlier in the thread did a ton of really fantastic speed runs, but I cant for the life of me remember who.

Chuckpebble

I was concerned about using that setup at first because the nunchuck seemed to be better suited. The reason being, the joystick takes care of running with analog. I thought I would be grabbing a bunch of vines by accident because I'd be holding down 1 to run. Then I realized that there's no need to hold the run button during speed runs.

While I'm fine with the control options, choice of controls has always been one of my favorite features in a Wii game, so I can sympathize with those that hate the motion controls. It just makes me a little sad that it seems some haven't given the game... a fair shake ...based on the control method alone.

I was actually just going to bump this thready myself...

Playing through this game, sipping it like a fine wine. Just started world 5 finally and I cannot praise it enough...it easily represents a spot in the upper crust for best games of the generation without breaking a sweat. Everything I knew and loved about the genre pre 1996 is modernized and represented with such pristine attention to the fun of it all. I was saying to some people that I'm actually developing a platformer right now but this one IS the bar for us all.

Yes, yes, hyperbole, but I believe the game certainly warrants praise. There was a moment at the beginning of some level in an earlier world where you start standing in some ancient aqua-duct with a hint of a water slide to your right. And just the FEEL of the game makes you realize this even looks fun. We were remarking that even the look of the scene makes us WANT to go for a water slide down there.

Humongous pat on the back to Retro for this one. It's joining a short list of textbook lessons on fine game development for this generation :)

Meh. I wanted a continuation of the old DKC series, not a reboot. Retro was given a very prestigious license to do what they wanted with and that they did: they made it "their" DKC without regard for even the gameplay advancements of previous games (no playing Diddy in single player mode--WTF?!). Unfortunately for myself, the result was not what I had been waiting for since 1996.

Either the regular Kong crew (Funky, Candy, Swanky), King K. Rool and single player character swapping return in the next game or Retro Studios can kiss my candy ass.

My brother and I decided to pick this up again. Whoever decided that an entire world of minecart levels would be a good idea deserves to be slapped.

Top Bottom