• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I prefer the modern Donkey Kong Country reboots to the SNES originals.... Here's why

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
OK, here's a thread that isn't inflammatory. I hope.

I think the original SNES Donkey Kong Country games were quite decent for what they were. The music and graphics carried a lot of the aspects about the game.
I'll concede that if we're going for a game with atmosphere and music, the original DKC games on SNES are better than the reboots... But i really feel like the Reboots nail the level design and gameplay to such an extent that I have a hard time going back to the first few. Returns and Tropical Freeze are some of the best 2D platformers I've played.

Donkey Kong feels so weighty and bouncy to move around in. In the SNES games he felt too floaty and fast, and the fast part was combined with how big he was on the screen and how little real estate you had to see where you were moving. Since you're playing on a wide HD television though, that isn't an issue. The control and movement in the new reboots are actually some of my favorites in a platformer, up there with Pizza Tower and Mario World's level of control and freedom. Some people may find it super slow, but for me it's the perfect weight and gravity for a giant ape running around, this ain't light athletic Mario. I love the feeling of bouncing on multiple enemies and seeing the large weighty bounce that comes from it, it feels so alive and good to play.

And on top of that, the level design for the DKC reboots just feels more thought up and well designed than the originals. There are more puzzles, interesting gameplay interactions, and the wider screen really helps you get a good look of your surroundings. Admittedly, the originals levels felt a bit more sprawling and vertical, but I'm not sure if that was because of the low aspect ratio or the actual level design. And either way, The reboots puzzle solving abilities and such make up for that.

Those 2 aspects in the newer games are a major reason why they're some of my favorite 2D platformers of all time. While I can understand the love for the Rare games and their music, These newer installments are pure gold to me. I can't wait for Retro Studios next one after they get done with Prime 4, whenever the hell that is.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They're very different beyond the obvious similarities.

DKC was essentially an 8-bit platformer with shiny graphics and good, accessible gameplay.
DKC2 is one of the best designed platformers of all time. As much as the Retro duology is better in many aspects, the level-by-level design in DKC2 is outstanding and never ceases to amaze me.
DKC3 is too much of a good thing. Solid game but with very little soul, and a clear step back.

Returns and Tropical Freeze are much more about the setpieces, thanks to the better tech. They can do things the SNES games really couldn't. I see them as a spectacular mix of the gameplay from DKC1 and the overall design from DKC2, but ultimately lacking the finesse of the latter. They play extremely well and offer a neverending supply of surprises. Plus, those extra levels are Kaizo worthy and completing them feels supremely rewarding. There's a lack of verticality, as you observed, and while they control well, they feel a bit too heavy for me at times, while I loved Diddy's souplesse in the Rare games.

If DKC2 wasn't such a tremendously good game I'd give the edge to the Retro series, but to tell the truth, I could pick up and play DKC2 at any time, while I never finished Retro's DK games twice.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Tropical Freeze is the best of the DKC games. I'd put Returns somewhere a little below DKC 2, but still above DKC 1 with DKC 3 just barely behind the pack and still a great game.
To be honest I was a bit disappointed that tropical freeze was so similar to returns but the additions they made to the formula makes it a superior game, anyways.

mrcroket

I agreed, a big part of the appeal of the snes games was their prerendered style graphics, and while they were fun to play, they were not up to the mechanics and gameplay of other games like mario world. In fact, gameplay felt like an 8 bit game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I prefer the atmosphere and art direction of the SNES first 2 games (i haven't played the 3rd one).

Modern takes are way too bright and colorful.
Yeah, the more contrasting look of the older games and their better music suits me more. That being said the new games look good for what they are, certainly better looking than the NSMB games

Neff

Nah. They're great games for sure but I dislike the way many of the game's secrets and hidden paths simply unlock art or whatnot without a direct impact on gameplay. I also thought Tropical Freeze was way too easy, despite being one of the most amazing looking/sounding/playing 2D platformers ever. The first two SNES games are still king imo.

Where's my Returns Switch port, Nintendo?

Griffon

DKC on SNES is so different that I don't even consider it as part of the same series.

The DKCR duology is a lot closer to Yoshi Island in gameplay and level design than it ever was to DKC.

I do prefer the SNES DKCs personally.

Last edited:

Edder1

Donkey Kong Country 2 to this day is in top 3, 5 best games ever made along with Super Mario World. This isn't just my opinion, it's the general consensus on internet. Personally I have Sonic 3 & Knuckles over those as my favourite, but there's no arguing that they're better games and deserve to be held in such high regard.

Last edited:

Tg89

The Rare trilogy is just superior imo. If I had to rank them I’d say 2 >> 1 >>>> 3 > TF >>>>> Returns.

I can see why you’d prefer the controls/movement of the new ones, I think it’s largely a preference thing. To me the big differentiator is atmosphere which covers everything from art style to music to enemies, etc. I think the original trilogy mops the floor with the new ones in that regard, 2 in particular is overflowing with those qualities. Kremlings are way cooler than whatever the hell was in TF.

It’s too bad since atmosphere was one of the things Retro absolutely nailed when bringing Metroid into 3D. If they could have done the same with DKC I think the games would have been much much better, because like you said the level design and mechanics are really solid.

Robb

Gold Member
Returns was OK, Tropical Freeze is probably my favorite in the series. I’d put it above all three of Rares titles.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The DKCR duology is a lot closer to Yoshi Island in gameplay and level design than it ever was to DKC.
that's a weird comparison imo. lack of anything similar to the flutter kick, no ability to store barrels for throwing, level design isn't as vertical as a yoshis island game.... what makes you think that

Tg89

that's a weird comparison imo. lack of anything similar to the flutter kick, no ability to store barrels for throwing, level design isn't as vertical as a yoshis island game.... what makes you think that
I do think the way diddy/dixie operate in DKC TF feels somewhat like fluttering in YI (and honestly just feels bad, imo). Otherwise yeah, not really sure I see it.

Cashon

Banned
I actually prefer Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D over Tropical Freeze (and both over all three SNES games), solely for the fact that I'm not really a fan of pretty much the entirety of Island 4 in Tropical Freeze, whereas I enjoyed every area in Returns 3D (plus no wag controls and added stereoscopic 3D).

On a related and coincidental note, I played through the first island of Tropical Freeze with my girlfriend last night, passing the controller when one of us finished a level, because she had never played it. She enjoyed it and I still liked it.

I agree, 64bitmodels, that the weightiness of Donkey Kong and the fluidity of motion just feels so good.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I enjoyed every area in Returns 3D (plus no wag controls and added stereoscopic 3D).
to be a bit of a PCMR cunt for a moment (or an Xbot since retroarch is available on that) you can emulate the games via dolphin and map the terrible waggle to button presses, that's what i did and the game plays super smooth and fun that way.

I am one of the few defenders of the 3DS 3d function, but it really isn't worth it when Wii has 60fps and better visuals all around.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
dixie operate in DKC TF feels somewhat like fluttering in YI
for Diddy nah, but can see dixie. her flight follows a similar pattern to how Yoshi would fly up when doing the flutter. That's about it, though. Yoshi's island and DKC, reboot or not play completely different LOL

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There's a lack of verticality, as you observed
When i were playing the Retro games i had this feeling to collect as many collectibles in the level as i could. get all the puzzle pieces and the KONG letters. I never really felt that when playing the original games. I think that a lot of it has to come to down to the aforementioned lack of verticality and the screen real estate. When you can see pretty much everything you need to, and you don't need to run around a maze to find what you want, you feel more inclined to go out of your way to get the shiny stuff even if it might not give much back in return. The more methodical and weighted controls likely helped with that too, less room for error.

In the originals however I never really felt that, i just felt like getting through the level because bothering with other stuff like the letters felt like too much of a hassle.

I love verticality and open level design don't get me wrong, but a straightforward, basic approach has its advantages too.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I'm the opposite. I tried the new ones multiple times but they feel flat and boring. The originals had so much soul at the time. Plus first impression of DKC stuck with me to this day.

Cashon

Banned
to be a bit of a PCMR cunt for a moment (or an Xbot since retroarch is available on that) you can emulate the games via dolphin and map the terrible waggle to button presses, that's what i did and the game plays super smooth and fun that way.

I am one of the few defenders of the 3DS 3d function, but it really isn't worth it when Wii has 60fps and better visuals all around.
I've never cared about frame rate (I couldn't tell you what the frame rate is in either game). Visuals look perfectly good to me on 3DS.

Ozzie666

Feels like comparing original Star Wars trilogy to the newest set of movies. Not sure you can or should do it. But the original 1994 DKC, I guess you had to be there to appreciate the game in the moment. Yes, a very flawed and basic game with revolutionary graphics. Even Nintendo didn't fully believe in it in terms of game play offered. The newer releases are great in their own right too. The music is still top notch too.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I didn't play DKCR, but I liked Tropical Freeze, however I still think DKC2 is the GOAT platformer ever.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Going by dkc returns only, no. Not really. For me, these games relies too much on the spectacle, rather than the level design. There is always something going down on the background that will make you jump on a certain moment or either you are dead. It's almost like a platform on rails at times. The original trilogy were much more inventive even using static backgrounds.

LRKD

I don’t like dkc returns. Played the entire game on 3ds, and a little bit of tf on Wii U. Massive disappointments, I just replay the snes classics

Top 3 platforming games of all time, in no particular order:

Klonoa
Yoshi’s Island
Donkey Kong Country 2

Returns was fun. Tropical Freeze was graphically and musically stunning, but felt shallow. As someone else said, almost like a platformer on rails.

RAIDEN1

Donkey Kong Country was a "in-your-face" at the time to Sega, (and any other competitor for that matter) in that it looked SO good you would have been mistaken for thinking it was on a 32-bit platform, but no it was on hardware from 1990! I mean when you look at other games that came out at the time, Ecco the Dolphin looked like a huge generation behind in comparison...

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yeah, Tropical Freeze was sick. The art, the gameplay, the music.

You all have to go listen to Pitter Patter Panel and tell me I'm wrong. It's very Retro Studios.

EDIT: OK so here it is. Bow down

Last edited:
Top Bottom