• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 | NeoGAF Racing League & NRPC

UFRA

upq8Q.jpg

bcq6a.jpg

(You can click each name to see a photo of them in action during the race.)

Replay files:

Team Rankings:
enAiy.jpg

Individual Rankings:
8JPld.jpg

Videos:
Coming soon!

Screenshots:
Brentech Recaps™
Kaze13's Pics™

The mega post on this page is updated and we will now be accepting sign-ups for Deep Forest.

Note: Remember if you have already participated in Trial Mountain, you are now "locked in" with the car you used for the race. No car switching will be allowed for the remainder of the season.

Those who have not participated in Trial Mountain today may still change their mind about their car at this point.

Thanks!

UFRA said:
We have no rules against this. However, we test every car for the league and in some cases that includes cars which are over-powered and then limited to 414HP.

That's interesting. I've never played with the limiter much, but wouldn't one vehicle with a flat power curve completely trounce the same vehicle which has a peaked curve? Obviously I'm comparing max power.

Another question if you don't mind! I'm a junior and I was wondering if the GAF held more casual races? Thanks

Wow, sick looking race today guys. Looks like we are finally starting to get everyone up to a solid league standard. Really glad to see that.

Kaze13, great league debut, looks like you will be a solid addition to the NGL.

Oh man, still looks like I am still the only car on the grid with zero downforce, hahah. Should make Deep Forest interesting. I am up for it though.

UFRA

33-Hit-Combo said:
That's interesting. I've never played with the limiter much, but wouldn't one vehicle with a flat power curve completely trounce the same vehicle which has a peaked curve? Obviously I'm comparing max power.

Another question if you don't mind! I'm a junior and I was wondering if the GAF held more casual races? Thanks

That's a fair question, but so far we haven't noticed any of the power-limited cars having any kinds of unfair advantage.

A good example is my car (the C 63 AMG) which has well over 414HP, but even though I have over 550ft/lbs of torque and a flat power curve, my car weighs 1403kg and so it turns out to be fair and even vs. the other cars.

As for casual races, in the league we really don't have much as far as that goes, but you are welcome to show up to practice sessions (which we post in this thread) and join us for practice races! Those are very fun in their own way.

brentech

33-Hit-Combo said:

The cars are limited in a few ways that probably prevent that type of issue.
1) They can't be tuner cars like 'amuse', 'sema', and the likes. Or of the race car variety.
2) There is a minimum weight limit. So, with a power limit, and a weight limit, cars that have to use the limiter generally have a harder time getting to the minimum weight.
3) As UFRA stated, all the cars are tested. They have to clock in a certain range on the test tracks and be approved by the league. Some cars, like the NSX '02, meet all the SPEC requirements, but are simply too fast and therefore are not allowed.

The last change was just put into place after the first two rounds were a little out of whack with car discrepancies.

UFRA said:
That's a fair question, but so far we haven't noticed any of the power-limited cars having any kinds of unfair advantage.

A good example is my car (the C 63 AMG) which has well over 414HP, but even though I have over 550ft/lbs of torque and a flat power curve, my car weighs 1403kg and so it turns out to be fair and even vs. the other cars.

As for casual races, in the league we really don't have much as far as that goes, but you are welcome to show up to practice sessions (which we post in this thread) and join us for practice races! Those are very fun in their own way.

Fair enough, I suppose as long as nobody takes the biscuit with tuning then it's a fair sport.

Are practice sessions/races fairly spontaneous? I've noticed there aren't timetabled in your updates. Thanks for the invite, will definitely have to participate at some point.

UFRA

33-Hit-Combo said:
Fair enough, I suppose as long as nobody takes the biscuit with tuning then it's a fair sport.

Are practice sessions/races fairly spontaneous? I've noticed there aren't timetabled in your updates. Thanks for the invite, will definitely have to participate at some point.

Yes, for the most part practices are spontaneous. However, they usually last a couple hours, so if you don't notice it up right away you can still hop in late.

Usually, practices happen during the week around the usual time of the Saturday race events (21:00GMT). Keep an eye on the thread around that time to see if anyone posts a practice up.

In the meantime, add the PSN ID "GT5NRL" to your friends list so you can join the lounge (we only race in private lounges).

Please use one of the allowed cars from the list we have posted above if you do come to a practice. If you find that you like it, there is a chance we may need additional members yet, so consider that as a possibility. :)

Kaze13

gutterboy44 said:
Wow, sick looking race today guys. Looks like we are finally starting to get everyone up to a solid league standard. Really glad to see that.

Kaze13, great league debut, looks like you will be a solid addition to the NGL.

Oh man, still looks like I am still the only car on the grid with zero downforce, hahah. Should make Deep Forest interesting. I am up for it though.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm still feeling out the other racers on the track. Once I feel more comfortable, I'll be more aggressive (without being a douche mind you haha). I only made one big mistake and it cost me a possible win. I'll try not to do the same mistake next go around.

Why didn't you race today btw?

On to Deep Forest concerns. The left before the right into the first tunnel. There is a big chance to cut that corner. Do we use that asphalt or do we use the candy stripes as the correct boundary?

Broseybrose

brentech said:

MISSED THE CONTEXT, BUT TOX ENDS UP HAVING TO GO THROUGH GRASS

TOX ABLE TO REGAIN CONTROL AND CARRY LEAD
I was watching the race at this point and i was following MetalMurphy's car (the California '08 was performing like a champ). It looked to me like MetalMurphy bumped him off-course. I have no idea how Toxa managed to keep the lead. Im positive MM slowed down after the bump so as not to overtake him.

Kaze13

My pics

Recipe for disaster?
Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit.jpg

Nope

Sizing up MM and the pass

MM likes it close. REALLY close lol

Peek a boo!

MM aggressiveness result lol. You were a great dance partner MM.

Finally, a pic of Team Fast Windmills through Chemistry in action

Broseybrose

Looks like a great race and im sorry i quit the league before... people were just giving me a real hard time last time i raced. This is my first time league racing and really respecting other's positions so it took getting used to.

But im definitely in for the next race, i just have to settle between the Tuscan Speed Six (which i handle fine!), Mazda RX-8 (just got it), and Fairlady Z34 (old standby). I couldnt get a Trial Mountain lap time better than 1:27 in any of them. :( Maybe i should try an M3, both M3s seem to get lotsa love on the spreadsheet.

And then theres the question of whether i should choose a FWD car, since that's my team now... is the WRX STI '10 for sure for sure banned, even for a beginner like me? :D

Dead Man

So... I am quite happy with the Aston, but if any of the car testers can be bothered I would love a ruling on the Ferrari 599. It is slightly faster than my Aston, but quite a bit slower than the Scud or the NSX-R was. If it is not allowed, or there is no time to test it that's cool.

Kaze13 said:
My pics

More great images
Wow, those are awesome pics too, thanks.

Broseybrose said:
Looks like a great race and im sorry i quit the league before... people were just giving me a real hard time last time i raced. This is my first time league racing and really respecting other's positions so it took getting used to.

But im definitely in for the next race, i just have to settle between the Tuscan Speed Six (which i handle fine!), Mazda RX-8 (just got it), and Fairlady Z34 (old standby). I couldnt get a Trial Mountain lap time better than 1:27 in any of them. :(

And then theres the question of whether i should choose a FWD car, since that's my team now... is the WRX STI '10 for sure for sure banned, even for a beginner like me? :D

Brosey I can guarantee you that nobody would get mad at you if you're a few seconds a lap slower then them. The problem is that you are far far FAR too wild and reckless by yourself and around other people. You need to work on driving without bouncy off the walls, driving around other people and about "racing etiquette". And with all do respect for how you feel about the Tuscon Speed 6, it's not the car for you. I would highly recommend you try an AWD car. There are plenty that have been approved, the Audi TTS, Lancer Evos, Skylines, and Imprezas. If you can't afford to try them all then the next time you're in the lobby just ask around if anyone could share them in their profile so you can try them.

Broseybrose

weekend_warrior said:
Brosey I can guarantee you that nobody would get mad at you if you're a few seconds a lap slower then them. The problem is that you are far far FAR too wild and reckless by yourself and around other people. You need to work on driving without bouncy off the walls, driving around other people and about "racing etiquette". And with all do respect for how you feel about the Tuscon Speed 6, it's not the car for you. I would highly recommend you try an AWD car. There are plenty that have been approved, the Audi TTS, Lancer Evos, Skylines, and Imprezas. If you can't afford to try them all then the next time you're in the lobby just ask around if anyone could share them in their profile so you can try them.
I hear you, and i have been practicing. Like i said, i was new to racing with and respecting other drivers. But people were acting like i was doing the shit on purpose when the reality was i wasnt used to reduced grip of the online tracks, plus once you get damaged the car is even harder to control.

I just dont need the hassle of feeling like im not wanted.

But like i said, i have been practicing the right way and im ready to race. I was ready to race today. :)

Thanks for the constructive feedback!

Kaze13

UFRA said:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_hLSdk2QnQXA/TXxSC8tWDfI/AAAAAAAABB4/onQTofAtI7k/s720/Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit.jpg[IMG]

Love this pic.

Thanks for the photos Kaze![/QUOTE]

Thanks. Upon request, I can take more (of other people lol).

[QUOTE=Dead Man]
Wow, those are awesome pics too, thanks.[/QUOTE]

:thumbup even though it's just plain ol me. lol

[QUOTE=Broseybrose]I hear you, and i have been practicing. Like i said, i was new to racing with and respecting other drivers. But people were acting like i was doing the shit on purpose when the reality was i wasnt used to reduced grip of the online tracks, plus once you get damaged the car is even harder to control.

I just dont need the hassle of feeling like im not wanted.

But like i said, i have been practicing the right way and im ready to race. I was ready to race today. :)

Thanks for the constructive feedback![/QUOTE]

I suggest attending practice sessions (and practice race starts). Also, watching actual racing will give you an idea of race etiquette. I can give you pointers in race lines and whatnot too. If you watch the replay of the last race and view my point of view, I basically go through every single passing phase (failed passing, line correction, getting back in the correct line after failing in passing, passing under braking, drafting, corner and exit speed, etc.) If you have questions, ask em. It'll make you a better racer so why not?

Broseybrose

Kaze13 said:
I suggest attending practice sessions (and practice race starts). Also, watching actual racing will give you an idea of race etiquette. I can give you pointers in race lines and whatnot too. If you watch the replay of the last race and view my point of view, I basically go through every single passing phase (failed passing, line correction, getting back in the correct line after failing in passing, passing under braking, drafting, corner and exit speed, etc.) If you have questions, ask em. It'll make you a better racer so why not?
Im with you 100% and my attitude is as you suggest. I will need advice tuning my ride once i choose it at least. And im open to all the criticism in the world as long as its kept constructive. All i want is to become a better driver, get the most from my car, get the most from the league, and just have fun racing everyone.

The race today was great. My mother and father and i watched it on our 52" while we ate lunch, amazed at the fact that each of those cars was another person, in another house somewhere maybe across an ocean... all racing each other. And we talked about just how cool it is to live in a time where tech is exploding at a rate that really flaunts its true exponential nature.

Dead Man

Broseybrose said:
Im with you 100% and my attitude is as you suggest. I will need advice tuning my ride once i choose it at least. And im open to all the criticism in the world as long as its kept constructive. All i want is to become a better driver, get the most from my car, get the most from the league, and just have fun racing everyone.

The race today was great. My mother and father and i watched it on our 52" while we ate lunch, amazed at the fact that each of those cars was another person, in another house somewhere maybe across an ocean... all racing each other. And we talked about just how cool it is to live in a time where tech is exploding at a rate that really flaunts its true exponential nature.
That's pretty cool.

Toxa

congrats nab (again)

thanks for the pics, really good (brentech and kaze13)

@kaze13 it seems that MM wanted to get rid of Windmills team yesterday xD

btw I can race at DF

ashk

Great pics brentech and kaze! Glad there isn't a pic of me going off the track and waiting for people to pass, that was embarrassing lol.

Dead Man

So... umm... another slightly strange request. Can we get a ruling on the Lambo Miura and the Murcialago LP 640? I know the advice was that all supercars would probably be too fast, but again, these seem about the same as my Aston when detuned.

Also again, if there is no time, or they are banned, I understand.

I has more questions! I understand the minimum vehicle weight is 1100kg, and similarly with my previous question; is it possible to lighten your vehicle to below 1100 and then ballast it up back to 1100?

Thanks

brentech

33-Hit-Combo said:
I has more questions! I understand the minimum vehicle weight is 1100kg, and similarly with my previous question; is it possible to lighten your vehicle to below 1100 and then ballast it up back to 1100?

Thanks
Of course.

Dead Man said:
So... umm... another slightly strange request. Can we get a ruling on the Lambo Miura and the Murcialago LP 640? I know the advice was that all supercars would probably be too fast, but again, these seem about the same as my Aston when detuned.

Also again, if there is no time, or they are banned, I understand.

There's no way the Murcialago will be allowed since it's a bonefide supercar and all the other supercars have been banned, and besides it doesn't fit within the type of cars the league is encouraging.

And do you have a Miura or plan on grinding for one? Because it's 15,000,000 credits.

UFRA

Toxa said:
btw I can race at DF

Are you just letting your teammates know that or do you want to be signed up? :p

To Team Redline:

Konosuke and h3ro, if either of you want to race at Deep Forest, you guys get first choice.

Let me know if you want to or not. :)

I've been testing out some of the cars on the list that I already own, with the imposed limits. I'm going to guess that if the car is faster sideways than poised, that driving style isn't welcome? XD

On a serious note, do you have to be associated with a team? If so, should I be speaking to the captains to discuss joining?

UFRA

33-Hit-Combo said:
I've been testing out some of the cars on the list that I already own, with the imposed limits. I'm going to guess that if the car is faster sideways than poised, that driving style isn't welcome? XD

On a serious note, do you have to be associated with a team? If so, should I be speaking to the captains to discuss joining?

Join us in our practice the next time we have one to make sure you like it.

Our practice sessions usually consist of 4-5 lap races, several at a time. So you'll get a good idea this way of how our driving styles are and the etiquette of the league.

Very glad to see you're interested in joining. :)

We have added you to the GT5NRL friends list, so you may now join our lounge.

UFRA

Everyone, please put your league car up for "Share with Friends" temporarily so that we can obtain a thumbnail photo of it for the roster.

Notice the mega post to see the idea we're going for. Please post in the thread when your car is shared so we can minimize the inconvenience for you.

Once your car is shown above you may remove it from sharing.

Thanks!

Toxa

UFRA said:
Are you just letting your teammates know that or do you want to be signed up? :p

yeah just an information for my team ;)

I didn't know they've allowed to detuned car like the ferrari california .

I tried the california and the car is glued to the track and I managed to easily blow up the fastest lap at trial Mountain "1.24.938"

that's explain how niks managed to make quickly 1.25.5 and why MM was suddenly faster than me

IMO the california should be retested

Toxa

UFRA said:
Everyone, please put your league car up for "Share with Friends" temporarily so that we can obtain a thumbnail photo of it for the roster.

Notice the mega post to see the idea we're going for. Please post in the thread when your car is shared so we can minimize the inconvenience for you.

Once your car is shown above you may remove it from sharing.

Thanks!

done ;)

UFRA

Toxa and brentech, your cars are done, thanks.

As far as the Ferrari California goes, because it was a last minute addition it was only quickly tested pre-race, and approved. MM entered it with the knowledge that it would be further tested and if later banned that his race result would be penalized, which is what is going to happen.

When I get a chance to race for team Windmills I would like to race in a Camaro SS, I didn't see it on the list but you guys have the corvette approved. It is probably OK right?

Kaze13

What is the reasoning towards having 4 racers per team but only 2 can race at the track? I'm asking because we now have Mush signed up for DF. We also have Toxa and I for the remaining spot and now have Lead Farmer interested as well. Is it just because we seem to be more active now?

I can race for another team if it means I can race regularly. I'll just put that out there. The FWTC name is really growing on me though lol.

UFRA

Kaze13 said:
What is the reasoning towards having 4 racers per team but only 2 can race at the track? I'm asking because we now have Mush signed up for DF. We also have Toxa and I for the remaining spot and now have Lead Farmer interested as well. Is it just because we seem to be more active now?

I can race for another team if it means I can race regularly. I'll just put that out there. The FWTC name is really growing on me though lol.

The reason is that not everyone is available for every race, and so having 4 members allows your team a better chance to always participate with 2 racers.

You'll have to decide with your teammates how to work it out as far as who races next.

All of the teams have 4 members right now, so we can't move you anywhere since that will make your team 3 and another 5, which is kinda pointless lol. ;)

Kaze13

UFRA said:
The reason is that not everyone is available for every race, and so having 4 members allows your team a better chance to always participate with 2 racers.

You'll have to decide with your teammates how to work it out as far as who races next.

All of the teams have 4 members right now, so we can't move you anywhere since that will make your team 3 and another 5, which is kinda pointless lol. ;)

I'm kind of thinking substituting for another team that is shorthanded.

Team FWTC: Would you guys feel weird if I go and do that? I'd like dibs on first open spot if possible.

UFRA

Kaze13 said:
I'm kind of thinking substituting for another team that is shorthanded.

Team FWTC: Would you guys feel weird if I go and do that? I'd like dibs on first open spot if possible.

Yes, you're welcome to volunteer as a substitute for any of the races that you're not scheduled to be in.

However, keep in mind:

-Your points will only go towards your personal standings, NOT the team you're racing for (so in other words your own team FWTC will not be affected in any way)

-Any team member of the racer who can't make it will get priority over you (i.e. If Konosuke and brentech are scheduled to race, but brentech suddenly bails out, I would get to sub for him before you)

Kaze13

UFRA said:
Yes, you're welcome to volunteer as a substitute for any of the races that you're not scheduled to be in.

However, keep in mind:

-Your points will only go towards your personal standings, NOT the team you're racing for (so in other words your own team FWTC will not be affected in any way)

-Any team member of the racer who can't make it will get priority over you (i.e. If Konosuke and brentech are scheduled to race, but brentech suddenly bails out, I would get to sub for him before you)

Gotcha. Thanks for the quick ass update. Gonna upload my car in a couple of minutes.

UFRA

brentech said:
I like the car imaging. Can understand it's a slight pain, but neat to see all uniform.

Yeah, it looks really cool. It will be great once everyone's car is up there.

Credit to MM for the idea and work on that.

Top Bottom