• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90% of Forza Motorsport Xbox players haven't completed a single online race

SkylineRKR

Online racing has always been shit to me.

There always happens something that shouldn't be allowed. In GT7 I had this start from 9 ish position, and then a guy in front row just happens to be stationary. I don't expect this in a race and can't react, crash, and lose 5+ positions making the remainder of the race a waste of time. Or guys move erratically, don't ghost, I basically get a colission because of their weird ass driving and I get penalized. Another waste of time.

Back in the days, without ghosting etc, players would deliberately push you off track or spin you at the first corner.

That + the fact you usually have to wait like 15 minutes to get into a race make online racing a complete waste to me.

Bond007

Ive put many hours into GT7 and 0% into online racing.
Just not my thing. I find myself more angry and frustrated than anything- and that isnt what i game for.

As for the latest Forza- i had huge expectations and was excited since im not a Horizon fan. The grinding aspect turned me off instantly and haven't touched it after the initial 3-4hrs i put in.

Mr Moose

Console racing games have low MP racing stats. Forza MS's online % is now 23% if you click the OP's link to see the gamer's updated achievement stats. It says 23% across about 50,000 tracked gamers.

GT is no better.

GT Sport had an estimated 85% of players playing zero sport races as of last month across a 90,000 gamer survey. So only 15% competed online and that game came out in 2017.

The online servers closed last month. Come back in another month and repost your comment saying 100% of Sport players played zero online races.

Elysium44

Banned
Console racing games have low MP racing stats. Forza MS's online % is now 23% if you click the OP's link to see the gamer's updated achievement stats. It says 23% across about 50,000 tracked gamers.

GT is no better.

GT Sport had an estimated 85% of players playing zero sport races as of last month across a 90,000 gamer survey. So only 15% competed online and that game came out in 2017.

So only 5% of GT Sport players completed more than 10 races, a game aimed squarely at online racing. That's a shambles.

And then they blocked Kudos Prime access for GT7 so we can't see basic stuff like this.

A plague on both GT7 and Forza's houses, both lazy and complacent. At least GT7 is pretty I guess. Not too much else going for it, as a game.

Elysium44

Banned
The online servers closed last month. Come back in another month and repost your comment saying 100% of Sport players played zero online races.

Is it not lifetime stats? Also only 30% of people completed the trophy for viewing the tutorials which allow access to playing online Sport mode. So certainly no more than 30% have played any races online, and many of those will have done the tutorials only without venturing further, or only doing one or two races. AFAIK there are no other trophies which directly indicate online participation.

Mr Moose

Is it not lifetime stats? Also only 30% of people completed the trophy for viewing the tutorials which allow access to playing online Sport mode. So certainly no more than 30% have played any races online, and many of those will have done the tutorials only without venturing further, or only doing one or two races. AFAIK there are no other trophies which directly indicate online participation.
Statistics based on 92,142 players representing 18,428,400 players (18,114,600 of the final game) on 2024-01-29. Data refreshed once a month. *: Any "Active" players period ends at the date of the statistics generation.
Not sure. I do know that I never played online races though lol.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you read the links, the stat tracker link had data to Jan 29, 2024 which is before the servers went down end of month.

In the forum link, someone posted similar stats back in 2022 when he looked at the stat tracker back then.

Sep 21, 2022
GT7 keeps the numbers under lock and key, yet for GT Sport, a title focused on sport mode:
84% of players never did a single sport race
Only 5% of players did more than 20 sport mode races

Last edited:

Mr Moose

If you read the links, the stat tracker link had data to Jan 29, 2024 which is before the servers went down end of month.

In the forum link, someone posted similar stats back in 2022 when he looked at the stat tracker back then.

Sep 21, 2022
GT7 keeps the numbers under lock and key, yet for GT Sport, a title focused on sport mode:
84% of players never did a single sport race
Only 5% of players did more than 20 sport mode races
I might've read your comment and the stats wrong, thought you said in the last month :messenger_weary:

I've personally never played GTSport or 7 online (against other players).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I might've read your comment and the stats wrong, thought you said in the last month :messenger_weary:

I've personally never played GTSport or 7 online (against other players).
There's no stated or estmated GT7 online racing stats when I googled it. Even the forums said there isnt any at that time.

Never the less, it looks like both Forza (the OP data was taken a month after launch, and the link has updated % to 23%) and GT Sport data taken around 5-7 years after launch are pretty similar. Even though the data is using a big gamer base as a survey both games have small MP gaming. Most gamers for these games play SP. So as odd as it seems despite marketing showing big online racing matches, most gamers just play SP against bots.

Last edited:

TheShocker

I’ve played a significant amount of every single Forza and Forza Horizon and never played it online. Same goes for GT Sport and GT7. Its just never been my thing.

//DEVIL//

I tried it and didn't like it.

It takes forever to play a race. You have to do qualifiers first and then wait till others do just to start a race and you get surrounded by idiots.

2 races and that was it for me .

I honestly regret buying that game. Even from a 3rd party seller for like 50$ Canadian and still regret buying it.

Figured it would have an amazing graphics too on PC with 4090 and shit. Fucking ps4 port of gt7 has probably more detailed bolts and screws on the car than the PC version of Forza Motorsports.

6 years it took them to built this.... Everyone in that team should get fired.

Last edited:

Phobos Base

I play a lot of racing games, but never online. In my experience lobbies will just be full of people who will be out of sight after the first few corners, or rammers out to ruin it for everyone.

Ive put many hours into GT7 and 0% into online racing.
Just not my thing. I find myself more angry and frustrated than anything- and that isnt what i game for.

As for the latest Forza- i had huge expectations and was excited since im not a Horizon fan. The grinding aspect turned me off instantly and haven't touched it after the initial 3-4hrs i put in.

I was going to say the same. I played GT sport a lot but I don't think I ever went online even once.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I play a lot of racing games, but never online. In my experience lobbies will just be full of people who will be out of sight after the first few corners, or rammers out to ruin it for everyone.
I barely played Forza online against randoms in the past, but I did play against people on my friends list and i admit I was a rammer.

I thought it was going to be big laughs with us all smashing each other going around corners scrambling for a win. Kind of like playing shooters and were all smack talking for shits and giggles. But I was the only guy in the lobby t-boning others going around a turn. Everyone else was serious about racing. Ooops. I guess I was odd man out. lol. And the funny thing is some of the people are the same in both kinds of games.

Nvzman

I never liked online races in GT or Forza because it either requires a) tuning the shit out of your car (which is not my thing) or b) forcing every car to a similar performance rating which effectively means auto-tuning and destroying the "stock" feeling of a car.
On top of this Forza Motorsport just fucking sucks. I do like GT7 (although the single player progression is terrible compared to previous GT games), and I think GT7 is definitely worth the money and has plenty of content. Forza, however, is a complete joke. It looks kind of crappy, reuses tons of assets from prior Forza games (like even way before 7), the races are snoozefests, and the single player is awful, like FAR worse than GT7's, it's extremely boring.
Forza Motorsport was one of the worst games of 2023 imo, how they managed to release something that vapid and clumsy after like 6 years of dev time is insane to me. The Horizon series is the only thing keeping Forza relevant at this point.

Allandor

Well I don't play such games in multiplayer mode. I'm to bad for such a competitive game ;)
And i like those games more just to drive without stressful competition.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I haven't either, why would I even want to?

Now back on FM7 I remember Ybarra hosting online races and several nights we would hold events on Mixer (RIP)

He would even let people have access to his Xbox while he was at work and still stream people trying to race like that until someone sold one of his most expensive cars for super cheap to his own account (which Mike promptly banned him from Xbox)
Who? I am assuming this is a last name, maybe?

Last edited:

Dorago

It offers nothing compelling over the single player experience so people don't use it.

"but we spent millions!"

exactly

stn

I like playing arcade racers online, but not sims. The only time I would play a sim online is if its with friends, so that way if I bump them or crash by accident they won't be toxic and shit, lolz.

lem0n

The only way you would EVER catch me playing online on a Forza Motorsport game is in private lobbies with friends. I'm not dealing with those mouth-breathing knuckle draggers that ram you in every corner.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Mike Ybarra when he was VP at Xbox he would give some of us control over his home console to try that remote play feature
Sorry, didn’t know. I don’t pay attention to QA folks or developers, just the product. Thanks for letting me know.

Edit: You said VP at the Xbox, didn’t pick that up.

Last edited:
I did my part! Pretty good first race too!

e8H1OXR.jpg

TheMan

I’ve raced a handful of times, but mostly when the feeling strikes me I get turned off by having to wait 30 minutes (or 1hr+ if I want to race on a particular track in the rotation) and I just do something else

I'm not surprised. Too many purists play FM in my experience and I like to race dirty. Let's just say that my kind of behaviour in those kinds of racing games isn't tolerated very well. I'll absolutely use your car to brake around a corner and slash a few milliseconds off my lap.

When I first played FM online back on the OG Xbox, I got absolutely hounded by a lobby for my driving. I didn't even realise that wasn't 'the way to play the game'. Haven't bothered since.

I'll also add that it's not a problem, that style of play just isn't for me.

Last edited:
online was all I was interested in, but the format stank. Wait wait wait…and I thought GT7 took sometime to get used to waiting for events. GT7 feels like ranked fighting game matches in comparison.

I did complete the online race in Forza tho. This is the Gamepass effect of just checking it out…why go online when the flags are there offline. Just bail.

DaGwaphics

I barely played Forza online against randoms in the past, but I did play against people on my friends list and i admit I was a rammer.

I thought it was going to be big laughs with us all smashing each other going around corners scrambling for a win. Kind of like playing shooters and were all smack talking for shits and giggles. But I was the only guy in the lobby t-boning others going around a turn. Everyone else was serious about racing. Ooops. I guess I was odd man out. lol. And the funny thing is some of the people are the same in both kinds of games.

Mario Kart would probably be a better fit.

I'm the same though, I never really do online with racers because I absolutely push cars into walls etc. to improve my position. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

WitchHunter

Banned
90-of-forza-motorsport-xbox-players-havent-completed-a-single-online-race.jpg

The In the Big Leagues achievement is one of the first achievements players will unlock when jumping into Featured Multiplayer — it's awarded when players complete their first introductory race in the multiplayer mode, and it's essentially impossible to miss if you are playing online. According to global Xbox achievement data, just 10% of Forza Motorsport Xbox players have the In the Big Leagues achievement, which means 90% haven't are yet to complete a single online race. Out of the Forza Motorsport players on TrueAchievements, around 20% have unlocked the achievement (we need to pump that percentage up, people!).

It's a similar story over on Steam. According to Steam global achievement unlock data, around 27% of all Forza Motorsport players on the platform have the In the Big Leagues achievement, and while it is higher than the Xbox percentage, it's still surprisingly low. Of course, the reason why the percentage is likely higher here is down to Game Pass once again. Steam players would have had to purchase the game, meaning they are likely more invested than Xbox with its Game Pass subscribers, who maybe fired up Forza Motorsport through their subscriptions to see what it was all about before going back to something else.

A few other interesting Forza Motorsport achievements tidbits relating to Featured Multiplayer include: Only 8% of players have completed a clean qualifying lap, just 6% of players have managed a podium finish, and around 1% of players have held an S-rank Safety Rating across five consecutive Featured Multiplayer events. Of course, the achievement for holding a S-Rank Safety Rating across ten consecutive Featured Multiplayer events is even lower.

Mehehe Human bots playing games

Last edited:
Top Bottom