• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Game Freak wasted just doing Pokemon?

markot

Banned
>.>?

I love pokemon and all, but given that they spawned.... pokemon and all the billions it made for Nintendo, why arent they given more.... stuff to do?

Are they happy just working on one franchise? I mean, wouldnt they get bored >.<?

Also, what kind of relationship is it between Nintendo/Game Freak and Creatures inc? it seems weird?

GCX

BigBadShamoo said:
I've always wondered this too. I don't know of a single game thats not pokemon coming from them.
RzLZG.jpg

GhaleonQ

BigBadShamoo said:
I don't know of a single game thats not pokemon coming from them.

*cries*

They are really skilled developers. Personally, I don't buy that good franchises stop being good after _ entries, but I think it was gross for Nintendo to make them do a 2nd DS entry instead of an original title. New, remake, original title seems like an ideal creative and fiscal cycle per generation.

Go_Ly_Dow

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Make a proper 3D (not 3D's) version.

Black/White was a step in the right direction.

I eagerly await the first Pokemon 3DS reveal. Hopefully they started work on it a while ago. I don't feel like waiting long.

Wazzim

Banned
I was talking about this with my little brother after seeing the Black/White intro, they really should try a big RPG outside of Pokemon.

Izayoi

Banned
Wazzim said:
I was talking about this with my little brother after seeing the Black/White intro, they really should try a big RPG outside of Pokemon.
If you see the end of the game you would think that even more.

As a matter of fact, I think the 3DS iteration of the series is going to surprise a lot of people.

What they did with Black and White as far as story goes is so far removed from the rest of the series that I'm really excited to see what they do next.

A different RPG series by them would be fantastic, yeah, but I'm selfish and I love Pokemon and I think they should keep doing it.

faridmon

BigBadShamoo said:
I've always wondered this too. I don't know of a single game thats not pokemon coming from them.
shame on you.

The thing is, they tried going all out with Drill Dozer and it floped big time sales wise. Why would you give up a multi-billion property for a game that require more R&D and give you less revenue.

2San

Smiles and Cries said:
that's why we don't deserve nice things
Never heard of it. Just youtube'd it though. It looks amazing. :O I think we can only blame ourselves. If that game didn't sell. :(

Boney

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
*cries*

They are really skilled developers. Personally, I don't buy that good franchises stop being good after _ entries, but I think it was gross for Nintendo to make them do a 2nd DS entry instead of an original title. New, remake, original title seems like an ideal creative and fiscal cycle per generation.
I thought GameFreaks themselves thought it was a good idea to make a new Pokemon for it.

2San said:
Never heard of it. Just youtube'd it though. It looks amazing. :O
You know what to do son.

GhaleonQ

Boney said:
I thought GameFreaks themselves thought it was a good idea to make a new Pokemon for it.

kidnap1.jpg

2San said:
Never heard of it. Just youtube'd it though. It looks amazing. :O I think we can only blame ourselves. If that game didn't sell. :(

Quinty, Yoshi's Egg, Mario And Wario, and Pulseman are all awesome, too (especially Quinty).

Wazzim

Banned
Izayoi said:
If you see the end of the game you would think that even more.

As a matter of fact, I think the 3DS iteration of the series is going to surprise a lot of people.

What they did with Black and White as far as story goes is so far removed from the rest of the series that I'm really excited to see what they do next.

A different RPG series by them would be fantastic, yeah, but I'm selfish and I love Pokemon and I think they should keep doing it.
I don't care if it's still Pokemon or not, just a new formula.
Start the game in a battle sequence in a bad guy center that's almost going to blow up. You having to fight your way outside with only a few minutes left. The heat makes you unable to walk, your Pokemon split up (you controlling them now) and look for friends that are searching for you. Once rescued, you wake up in a ride to a big city in hands of one of the Elite Pokemon Masters and settle down in a motel. From there, the adventure begins.

coldvein

Banned
Izayoi said:
Really? Why?

to be honest i was never CRAZY about the games in the first place, but i played a couple of them. just bored with the general formula at this point i guess. i don't stick around long-running series very often.

Boney

Banned
Wazzim said:
Start the game in a battle sequence in a bad guy center that's almost going to blow up. You having to fight your way outside with only a few minutes left. The heat makes you unable to walk, your Pokemon split up (you controlling them now) and look for friends that are searching for you. Once rescued, you wake up in a ride to a big city in hands of one of the Elite Pokemon Masters and settle down in a motel. From there, the adventure begins.
Do you get amnesia as well?

Izayoi

Banned
Wazzim said:
You're describing the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games almost perfectly up until the last part.

But we'll never see something that serious in the main games, sorry. That's just a little too grimdark I think. Honestly I'm surprised how far they took it in BW.

coldvein said:
to be honest i was never CRAZY about the games in the first place, but i played a couple of them. just bored with the general formula at this point i guess. i don't stick around long-running series very often.
Have you played BW? It blows the others out of the water gameplay-wise.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
At the end of the day being a game developer is a job. Nintendo probably splits a nice sum of royalties to these guys everytime they make a million selling Pokemon entry. Everyone is wealthy and probably satisfied that so many people play their games.

GhaleonQ said:
*cries*

I'm not convinced that a developer can be called "skilled" when they're only known for one thing, and they make only minor tweaks here and there with each new release.

I'm not calling the quality of Pokemon into question, as I've been a fan right from the start, but it takes more than one series which has changed very little over the years for me to hold a developer in high reverence.

I know they made Drill Dozer, but that didn't exactly set the world on fire.

EDIT: On second thought, I think I'm being overly harsh. Drill Dozer does look pretty good, actually. But I would like to see them experiment a bit more. Even if it's just within the Pokemon games themselves. I'm just tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.

Boney

Banned
Ben2749 said:
What has this got to do with anything.

I wouldn't call Treyarch highly skilled developers, and WaW and Blops lit the world on fire.

Izayoi

Banned
coldvein said:
i have not. i feel like i should, perhaps, but.. i dunno. i think i can hold off for now.
If you even remotely enjoyed the series in the past this is the perfect time to get back into it. It's pretty much unanimously agreed that BW are the best games in the series, bar none.

Tons of annoyances removed, fantastic presentation, new leveling curve and an actual story... It really is great. At least borrow it from a friend if you can.

Gravijah

Maybe. Probably.

They should try making another new game. But it would have to be a turn based RPG. They're such a dying breed. :(

Kozak

Banned
$$$$$

I don't think Gamefreaks, as a business, really mind that all they get to create is Pokemon. In fact I bet the employees, who probably have families, don't mind either.

$$$$$

rpmurphy

They could probably do another RPG and get great results from it. But they could also spend that effort into revamping Pokemon for the 3DS, which would also be an exciting prospect. If they do a new IP though, they and Nintendo should put great effort into its design, since the last thing anyone would want to see is their reputation being tarnished if it's not well-received, which will also have an impact on the Pokemon franchise.

Vanille

Izayoi said:

Let's not get carried away. It's a minor improvement at best.

Davey Cakes

I honestly thought that, while my playtime with Drill Dozer was relatively pleasant, the "drilling" got a bit old after a while. Then again, I never finished the game (or really got close) so maybe I should get back into it.

But for $2.50 new, it's hard to complain. (got it from the FYE clearance section).

As for Pokemon Black/White, I'm looking forward to playing it. Maybe when a deal pops up somewhere.

As for Game Freak in general, I see no problem with them sticking with what they're good at, especially if Pokemon Black/White are an indication of improvement for the series. However, the good that comes out of games like Drill Dozer shows that the team is capable of doing other things, so maybe it would be nice to see them take on something a bit different in the future.

Ezalc

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think of this before. It seems like they'd get bored of making basically the same old game over and over. There was drill dozer, but I didn't really enjoy it all that much, however, it was a new idea and I wish they had the chance to keep doing new things. I'm still waiting for the end all pokemon game though, with litereally everything in it. Regions, pokemon, gyms, etc. What really annoys me about the Pokemon games is that Gold and Silver were the only ones with more than one region to explore after you're done with the first one. Why haven't they put that in another game? It's great to revisit regions and add things you couldn't before. Also I wish they made a new console Pokemon game, I don't know if gamefreak are the ones that made Colosseum and all of them but if they aren't then I say give them a shot at making a new one.

Gravijah

Ezalc said:
I'd be lying if I said I didn't think of this before. It seems like they'd get bored of making basically the same old game over and over. There was drill dozer, but I didn't really enjoy it all that much, however, it was a new idea and I wish they had the chance to keep doing new things. I'm still waiting for the end all pokemon game though, with litereally everything in it. Regions, pokemon, gyms, etc. What really annoys me about the Pokemon games is that Gold and Silver were the only ones with more than one region to explore after you're done with the first one. Why haven't they put that in another game? It's great to revisit regions and add things you couldn't before. Also I wish they made a new console Pokemon game, I don't know if gamefreak are the ones that made Colosseum and all of them but if they aren't then I say give them a shot at making a new one.

Game Freak have only made the handheld games. Which is why most of the console games suck.

GhaleonQ

Ben2749 said:
I'm not convinced that a developer can be called "skilled" when they're only known for one thing, and they make only minor tweaks here and there with each new release.

I'm not calling the quality of Pokemon into question, as I've been a fan right from the start, but it takes more than one series which has changed very little over the years for me to hold a developer in high reverence.

EDIT: On second thought, I think I'm being overly harsh. Drill Dozer does look pretty good, actually. But I would like to see them experiment a bit more. Even if it's just within the Pokemon games themselves. I'm just tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.

And, as stated, I'm pretty sure the people from the pre-Pokemon days are still there. And, as stated, those pre-Pokemon games are TOTES AWESOME.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'd say yes just because of the Pokemon MMO brainbug that clouds my thoughts whenever I think of the franchise, but they make great games regardless of them being the same format. It'd be interested to see them try to expand outside of what they've done for the past fifteen years, but that isn't to say their talents are wasted. The pour creativity into all of their products (not massive changes, but enough to keep it fresh and most of all addictive). If their creative talent enjoys making handheld Pokemon games, then I have nothing against letting them do it indefinitely. I can imagine it'd be a lot of fun to create new creatures and charming region styles anyway.

I'd just like another team to make an expansion-pack based Pokemon game so I don't go back to square one every new gen.

radcliff

From the latest Nintendo Power:

Nintendo Power: Before the Pokemon series, GF was famous for making great side-scrolling action games. Do you plan to return to that genre one day?

Junichi Masuda: Yes [smiles]

Ken Sugimori: We felt that way before, so we made Drill Dozer.

NP: I'm surprised you haven't done a side-scrolling Pokemon game yet.

KS: If we hear from our fans that they would want one, we would love to do it.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
There is a severe lack of Mendel Palace in this thread. Game Freak's first title(?) on the NES an absolutely weird one.

Also Pulseman! Who looks like a certain electric ghost pokemon.

And didn't they make the Game Boy Camera software?

Top Bottom