• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VI coming to PlayStation Network (PS1 Classic)

Mael

Pyrokai said:
Pardon my ignorance, but wasn't this an SNES game? Was there a PS1 version that came out that I'm unaware of that qualifies this as a PSone Classics title, or is it just being randomly branded as such?

It was released on PS1 as a Final Fantasy collection thingy, kinda like how God of War I & II are ps3 games if you will.

FFV is really a SFC game though?

xero273

Pyrokai said:
Pardon my ignorance, but wasn't this an SNES game? Was there a PS1 version that came out that I'm unaware of that qualifies this as a PSone Classics title, or is it just being randomly branded as such?

yes, a ps1 version did come out.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Pyrokai said:
After the success of FFVII, Squaresoft hired TOSE to port all the golden-oldies (some being based on the recently updated Wonderswan Color versions) to the Playstation. They released them in compilations: Origins for FFI and II, Anthology for FFV and VI, and Chronicles for IV and Chrono Trigger.

Lyonaz

Why doesn't the US PSN have FFI and FFII for PSP like the EU?

I hope Sony manage to get all the pre-PS2 Final Fantasies on their PSN, PS2 FFs in a HD collection please.

rataven

Aw yea, one of my favorite FFs. Hope this gets more people to try it out who may have missed it before.

Interesting that it's the PSX version, though I guess of course it would be. But for some reason, my PS3 HATES FFV and just refuses to play it. No idea why. Don't have problems with any other PSX games.

Synless

Stumpokapow said:
In case anyone was wondering, complete US catalogues, bold for unreleased on PS1 classics.

Squaresoft:
Tobal No. 1
Final Fantasy VII
Bushido Blade - jpn
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Tactics
SaGa Frontier - jpn
Einhänder - jpn
Xenogears
Bushido Blade 2 - jpn
Final Fantasy V
Parasite Eve

Brave Fencer Musashi - jpn
Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring - jpn
Chocobo's Dungeon 2 - jpn
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy VI
Chocobo Racing - jpn
SaGa Frontier 2 - jpn
Legend of Mana
Front Mission 3

Threads of Fate - jpn
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross

Parasite Eve II - jpn
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy - jpn
Final Fantasy II - jpn

Enix: (all unreleased)
Bust a Groove
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Bust a Groove 2
Torneko: The Last Hope
Valkyrie Profile
Dragon Warrior VII

Why do they hate Chrono so much?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Aru said:
Complete Collection of what ? The game and the OVA ?
I'd buy it. Might be a little late in the day for PSP releases, although, hope against hope, Square Enix are still releasing a new game for the console each month. FFIV CC is next, so maybe if that's a success they'll consider remastering this one too.

PK Gaming

I'm not particularly excited. I already own the GBA version, so I didn't see a point to buying it. Still, if you've never played FFV this is a good chance to get into it now. (Although i'd urge you to buy the GBA remake before attempting to buy the PSN version.)

vocab

Synless said:

The PS1 version of Chrono Trigger is fucking horrible. Load times on every battle. Complete slow down during the first part of Lavos. I like fighting at 5-10 fps!

I don't care about CC.

vocab said:
The PS1 version of Chrono Trigger is fucking horrible. Load times on every battle. Complete slow down during the first part of Lavos. I like fighting at 5-10 fps!
It was decent at the time as the only version that existed was the snes version and find a copy of it was a pricing predicament. Nowadays, with the great DS version out there, well, yeah, it plays especially like shit. And I bet that when it gets released on the psn network it will still sell like hotcakes.

Aru

Cataferal said:
I'd buy it. Might be a little late in the day for PSP releases, although, hope against hope, Square Enix are still releasing a new game for the console each month. FFIV CC is next, so maybe if that's a success they'll consider remastering this one too.

I think Type-0 will be the last S-E PSP game or at least the last original one. What else could they remake on the platform ? FFV going on PSN and FFVI on VC (and surely PSN soon) pretty much confirm that no remake of those games is coming any time soon.
Chrono Cross has been announced for JPSN Games Archive and should arrive by next year on US PSN.
Chrono Trigger ? The PS1 version could be coming on PSN since the VC is getting this month IIRC.
Aside from a few PS1 Classics that will only see a downloadable re-release at best, I can't think of any more game from S-E coming to PSP.

Synless said:

I think CC has been confirmed for JP release.

Dark Schala said:
I think another good question here is: "why do they hate the Enix catalogue so much"?

I want Dragon Quest VII, darnit. :(

I want it too, or IV with subtitles, but I doubt it's happening, it's more likely to show up on WW at this point to be honest.

ShdwDrake

Banned
FFV is awesome! Grinding Jobs is soo much fun. I'd rather have it on my iPhone though playing through FF3 is a blast.

FFV is great, but this port is a pile of dog shit.

Back in the day, I salivated over the Anthology release and tolerated the ridiculous load times (almost as bad as CT PSone) and atrocious translation. Not anymore. There's really no excuse with FFV Advance on the market.

Hopefully, there is a PSP or 3DS version in the works ala FFIV Complete.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nice, the best FF game. Too bad they can't hack in the GBA FF5 Advance translation to the PS1 version... from what I remember the PS1 translation was pretty poop. Also hopefully due to the game being a downloadable, the load times are drastically reduced.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
PK Gaming said:
I'm not particularly excited. I already own the GBA version, so I didn't see a point to buying it. Still, if you've never played FFV this is a good chance to get into it now. (Although i'd urge you to buy the GBA remake before attempting to buy the PSN version.)
Different sound chip, maybe. The GBA's can mess up good sound sometimes, imo. I'm one of those people who value good sound in my games, and if I've played the original version, the portable version's sound will bug me a little bit.

For example:
The Decisive Battle (SNES Ver)
vs
The Decisive Battle (GBA Ver)

and:

Clash on the Big Bridge (SNES Ver)
vs
Clash on the Big Bridge (GBA Ver)

and:

The Last Battle (SNES Version)
vs
The Last Battle (GBA Version)

and:
Battle 1 (SNES Version)
vs
Battle 1 (GBA Version)

As far as I know, the PS1 and SNES versions of FF5 are nearly the same in terms of music quality. Obviously the GBA version will differ because it's a different sound chip altogether. The GBA versions of some of the FF5 themes sound quite... busy... in comparison to the original SNES tracks. The GBA soundchip was very good for bass, imo.

This can also be slightly detrimental, though.
Undersea Palace (SNES Ver)
vs
Undersea Palace (PSX Ver)

But the DS version sounds fine to me: Undersea Palace (DS Version)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDPRvcKVjMI

There used to be a pretty good vid on youtube showing the differences, but I think you can hear them clearly. One has echo. One does not. One has more dynamics. One does not. Piano's more prominent in one than the other. Overall, one of the points against the PS1 version of CT (aside from load times) was the hit that some of the music took. I can't recall the reason why some of these pieces were changed (other than arranging the music to make it sound better, or worse, depending on how you look at it). Both tracks showed up differently on both the SNES and PS1 albums.

IIRC, "World Revolution" was also different on both albums. Edit: Yep: SNES Version, PSX Version, and DS Version

Sure it sounds like a purist's argument, but again, I'm one of those people who's pretty picky about these things.

Clott

I don't think I have played this one, I bet it has a bit of an identity crisis being the one right before VI. I can't stomach most of the old school RPG's anymore, I am glad I got to play a bunch years ago.

Good news, but I probably won't be buying it. I am so used to the GBA version I don't think I could go back to this one. Especially because of the translation. But, it is FF V and I hope people who haven't played it yet get to play this great game because of this.

AColdDay

DMeisterJ said:
I forgot about Saga Frontier! I want that!
Saga frontier 1 is a flawed classic. When I buy a PS3 I hope they have it available in the US because I would really like to play it again someday.

I wish that another game would implement the multiple scenarios system that SF1 had. I loved how a random NPC from one persons perspective could be a playable character with a cool backstory for someone else. So much diversity in the main characters and locations too:. a vampire, a superhero, a robot are all characters you could play as.

The only modern game I can think of that has anything like it were the origin stories in dragon age origins, but in that game only the first hour or two were different between characters. In SF, the entire game would be different depending on who you chose to experience the world as.

Squalltdx

I tried to play V years ago (Anthology version), but couldn't do anything because of the save game bug when playing on the PS3. I eventually got the GBA version to play. I was having fun with it but I ended up stopping at a certain point pretty far into the game and had to stop for several reasons. I haven't touched it since and that was around 2 years ago :( It's the only one out of all the FF games I've bought that I haven't finished atleast once. Even though it would be nice to have a portable version for my eventual NGP purchase, I wish it could be the GBA version instead

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Are Square Enix afraid we won't buy their mediocre products if they release them after their greatest titles? Where is the Final Fantasy IV, VI and Chrono Trigger annoucements?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Squalltdx said:
I tried to play V years ago (Anthology version), but couldn't do anything because of the save game bug when playing on the PS3. I eventually got the GBA version to play. I was having fun with it but I ended up stopping at a certain point pretty far into the game and had to stop for several reasons. I haven't touched it since and that was around 2 years ago :( It's the only one out of all the FF games I've bought that I haven't finished atleast once. Even though it would be nice to have a portable version for my eventual NGP purchase, I wish it could be the GBA version instead
If there was a bug in the internal PSone emulator of the PS3, then it's surely been fixed in firmware updates by now to accommodate the PSN release mentioned in this thread. The game data of this PSN download should be identical to your FF Anthology FFV disc. So unless you want to play on a PSP/NGP, just play your disc.

kinoki said:
Are Square Enix afraid we won't buy their mediocre products if they release them after their greatest titles? Where is the Final Fantasy IV, VI and Chrono Trigger annoucements?

Is that what you're saying about FFV?

Personally I preferred V to IV. (Not to mention IV is getting the Complete Collection this month.)

Magnus

Pointless with the GBA version around, and a potential PSP mega version coming in the future, a la the FFIV package incoming this year.

kinoki said:
They'll be released after Kingdom Hearts 3.

Huzzah! As my PSN library continues to grow, announcements like this one are very welcome... now I`ll be able to replay V on my PSP Go and (coming soon!) NGP instead of using my PSX rip on my CFW 1000...

Squalltdx

BocoDragon said:
If there was a bug in the internal PSone emulator of the PS3, then it's surely been fixed in firmware updates by now to accommodate the PSN release mentioned in this thread. The game data of this PSN download should be identical to your FF Anthology FFV disc. So unless you want to play on a PSP/NGP, just play your disc.

Yeah, but my issue now is I'm not sure if I can go back to playing the PSX version after almost playing the GBA version to completion.

Zophar

FFV on PS1 is atrocious. I love FFV to death but I could never bring myself to place the PS1 version ever again, it's that bad.

Morn

Banned
Pyrokai said:

Square released all of the FF games on the PS1.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stumpokapow said:
In case anyone was wondering, complete US catalogues, bold for unreleased on PS1 classics.

Squaresoft:
Tobal No. 1
Final Fantasy VII
Bushido Blade - jpn
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Tactics
SaGa Frontier - jpn
Einhänder - jpn
Xenogears
Bushido Blade 2 - jpn
Final Fantasy V
Parasite Eve

Brave Fencer Musashi - jpn
Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring - jpn
Chocobo's Dungeon 2 - jpn
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy VI
Chocobo Racing - jpn
SaGa Frontier 2 - jpn
Legend of Mana
Front Mission 3

Threads of Fate - jpn
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross

Parasite Eve II - jpn
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy - jpn
Final Fantasy II - jpn

Enix: (all unreleased)
Bust a Groove
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Bust a Groove 2
Torneko: The Last Hope
Valkyrie Profile
Dragon Warrior VII
Square, you trolls. You know people want Einhander. It's selling for over a cnote on Ebay.

Aeana

Dark Schala said:
Different sound chip, maybe. The GBA's can mess up good sound sometimes, imo. I'm one of those people who value good sound in my games, and if I've played the original version, the portable version's sound will bug me a little bit.

As far as I know, the PS1 and SNES versions of FF5 are nearly the same in terms of music quality. Obviously the GBA version will differ because it's a different sound chip altogether. The GBA versions of some of the FF5 themes sound quite... busy... in comparison to the original SNES tracks. The GBA soundchip was very good for bass, imo.

Sure it sounds like a purist's argument, but again, I'm one of those people who's pretty picky about these things.

The GBA version of FF5's final music product sounds really good, I think. It isn't identical; they changed a lot of instrument samples and such to optimize it for the GBA, but the end result is more than acceptable. As for the reason why, well... first, FF5's original music isn't particularly complex and doesn't make use of many of the SNES sound chip's extra features, so conversion to a platform without those was much easier. Also, the SNES's sound chip used 32khz samples and had 8 sound channels, as well as several effects such as echo and volume envelopes. By contrast, the GBA had only 6 sound channels, with the catch being that 4 of them are the GameBoy Color sound channels - 3 square waves, 1 noise. The other two are only capable of playing 8-bit signed PCM samples, which is fairly low quality as it is. What that means is that any game that used more than two simultaneous PCM sounds had to mix them together with the CPU before outputting to one of the two PCM channels, often reducing the sample quality further (sometimes to as low as 8khz) in order to spend less CPU time doing the mixing. In light of that, games like Mother 3 in particular are incredible, but FF5 is even moreso because the actual sound quality is quite good compared to other GBA games. The changes they made (selecting samples that sound better under the constraints) were for the better in FF5a's case.

It's fine to prefer the SNES originals, but I really don't think FF5 suffered very much, and certainly not as much as 6 did.

Top Bottom