• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix CEO Takashi Kiryu - Sales of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Final Fantasy XVI and Foamstars Short of Expectations

leo-j

Has everyone forgotten why games are exclusive in the first place? To sell the console…… if all games were available on switch day 1 nobody would buy a PS(tbh people completely forget the tech gap between the consoles as well). And people act like a pc version is going to save the game, and make it double its sales. i wonder what the sales split was for FF XV.

Can we blame square for releasing 250 games 240 of which are mediocre or sub par? They dropped FF VII remake after releasing a mid FF game in XV. People might just be turned off by FF. Especially when there are other big rpgs of higher quality, and 250 GAAs honkai / genshin games. I know this is anecdotal, but FF fans I know, some haven’t touched XVI and haven’t even played rebirth, because they are on honkai, or genshin, or another big live service PC/Console MMO. Not to say they can’t get there eventually, but the marketing lasted what? Half a month? Rebirth is the highest rated FF game in decades, they can advertise that, release an ad, best FF game, experience the consoles best exclusive rpg, etc…. I saw ads for Elden ring months after the game came out.

Last edited:
Maybe but do you think Sony expected F7 remake to be split up into multiple games?

One second thought they may have liked the idea of FF7 split into each new console!! 😂 😢 😔

I'm still convinced that the ending part of Remake was designed to make it plausible to have the story end at Midgar, if they had decided that doing multiple parts wasn't going to work out.

StereoVsn

Depends if they offer good rewards.I think I read one can totally bypass the mini games in this though.
You don’t have to bother with vast majority of mini-games if you don’t want to. I didn’t for the most part and was just fine for the main game.

Minsc

Gold Member
16 runs like shit, Rebirth looks like ass (seriously it's a last gen looking game) and Foamstars, fuck that.

If this is the best they can do, they don't deserve to be AAA anymore.

I'll proudly take this win.

These are fun to read now.

Last edited:
I know, some haven’t touched XVI and haven’t even played rebirth, because they are on honkai, or genshin, or another big live service PC/Console MMO.

It's not anecdotal at all. A big chunk of the FF fanbase don't like the new vibe and they go for an experience that reminds them of the old ones, and as I said in a previous post, Hoyoverse games are this-era-Final Fantasy, in terms of zeitgeist. It's also very revealing that they have more memorable (and recognizable) characters than modern FFs. Square had to remake its flagship title and make it a saga because they are unable to replicate the same old success with the new entries.

I’ve been a FF fanboy since the early 90s and I was totally onboard with the shift to action combat + mature GoT style story.
Me too!
The problem was that the execution just sucked. As an action game, it sucked because enemies just stand there like training dummies while you cycle through your skills off cooldown chipping away at their health. As a JRPG it sucks because it’s loaded with boring sidequests, boring + lifeless dialog scenes, an empty world with nothing interesting to find, totally pointless crafting system, no interesting choices in character growth/loadout, no choice of party composition , etc etc
The difficulty was very much my biggest issue with the game, yeah... The other things you mentioned are an issue too, just as relevant, but I could tolerate it if the game wasn't so lacking in any challenge.

Because it creates this distracting disconnect. The epic music, visual effects, the intensity of everything is like cranked up to 11, but you don't actually FEEL it.

Is like... You know that annoyed feeling you get when you are playing FF 9, and you enter a random battle, music is going, setting the stage, and then you see a Goblin that even Vivi or Dagger will defeat in one hit, with no magic? Now imagine this same feeling being extended for 70% of the battles in the game.

That's how FF 16 feels, to me. It's annoying, man.
Yoshi-P in charge, new mature direction, described as “like Final Fantasy V as an action game”… I was so hyped. It ended up being one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever
I didn't hear about that description, but man that seems really exciting! Bummer that it wasn't that way...

Seems like theyve reached the point of where most of final fantasy fans are in retirement homes or gone and they havent managed to make enough new ones. Dragon quest is not popular enough in the west to save them, their attempts at new series havent went exactly well and after getting rid of eidos and crystal dynamics i unfortunately dont see a way out of this situation for them.
That's because the FF games have no identity any more, so the brand has no meaning.
Does playing FF XV or FFXVI evoke any of the same experience one had playing FFVII or FFVIII? And if not, what's the point of naming it FF other than a marketing gimmick that the consumer has now completely caught on to and aren't falling for.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

That's what Square Enix says every year.. Something is wrong with their expectations.
They need
gonnyJ6.jpeg

(sorry couldn't help myself)

The ‘FFXV hurt the series reputation’ talk has always been nonsense pulled out of the hat to try to explain sales decline after an - in hindsight - unwise exclusivity strategy.
I bought a PS3 to play Final Fantasy Versus XIII, but two demos of Final Fantasy XV on PS4 made me pass on the game completely. I could borrow it with no strings attached but why would I even bother? It is not a captivating game. It is a bunch of filler stringing together an unfinished story. I haven't bought any new titles from Square Enix since with the exception of Strangers of Paradise because I like Team Ninja and it has great mechanics. If they would mix that gameplay design with the adventure aspect of Final Fantasy XII and a solid story I would jump back in.

P.S. Square Enix always has absurd sales expectations.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Time to stop selling timed exclusivity deals to Sony.

Release your games for all platforms if you want to be successful.

You're not wrong.

FF15 was sold on 3 platforms at launch and has sold 10~11 million, no FF game released since then has come close. VII Remake is also present on 3 platforms (over-time) and reached 7 million since launch.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
FF16 looked bland and isn't anything special so I'm not surprised and FFVIII Rebirth
Well you are selling Remake & Rebirth as bundle which is cheaper then buying them separately sooo why not just wait for all 3 parts.
And given the release window for part 3 is gonna be around when PS6 hits
All 3 will probably get a PS6 port.
And what's worse is they will be bundled at discount price.
It's a really messy release schedule which messes the customers time and patience.
What the actual point of buying them now.
They should of thought about this before spreading a release on 1 game over a decade and 3 generations.
The games are great and people do want to play them.
They just don't want 5 years in-between what use to be switching discs.
Once the whole trilogy is out you'll see the sales, until then anybody with a brain should expect this.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

You're not wrong.

FF15 was sold on 3 platforms at launch and has sold 10~11 million, no FF game released since then has come close. VII Remake is also present on 3 platforms (over-time) and reached 7 million since launch.
True but that was back when the Xbox userbase was still buying their games. When you have publishers/developers outright admitting that putting their game on the Xbox platform makes little sense or is a gamble then I highly doubt releasing on Xbox would have had significant impact on FF sales in this day and age.

Nydius

That's what Square Enix says every year.. Something is wrong with their expectations.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to write. They’ve said this exact same thing for damn near every game they’ve published this entire generation.

Hell, I found this thread here from over a year ago which itself was a rehashed topic from the year before.

Something is very wrong with the “expectations” at SE if everything fails to meet them. Take Foamstars: They expected sell copies when they handed it out to everyone with PS+, which is required, as a multiplayer only title, to play it? Then act shocked that no one bought it especially after they got to sample how mediocre it was at no cost? 🙄

Hardensoul

Gold Member
They do.

I'm saying based on the poor performance of their flagship series, I hope they don't take that as a sign FF is dead.

Cause it's not, it just lost its magic...er mana.
In the article the mention reorganizing into 5 console teams and one of them still FF.

Mentioned in this locked thread. Apparently Bloomberg requires login.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Foamstars is a piece of trash, I don't know how they expected that Game to sell, I guess it was on plus on day 1 for the same reason.

As for FF, it isn't that popular as it used to be, FFXIII and XV sold much more but also hurt the series reputation, too Many people saying those are Bad games. I think FFVII Rebirth and FFXVI sold pretty well despite that. Not much Will change if they decide to make FF multiplatform again, we saw how FFVII crisis core sold almost nothing on switch and Xbox.
Yep 16's sales are not 16's fault. As someone relatively new to the series (got in on 7 remake and have bought and platinumed every release since) it was my GOTY 2023 and overall seemed loved by those who played it. We went from an entire trilogy of 13 games after the first got tons of hate to the continuous delays and mixed reception of 15 to ps5 just getting out of covid shortages and still being $500 when ff16 came out. They should have gotten it into bundles that holiday to placate square and held them out since the game is an absolute banger

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sony's always been happy with console exclusivity because they rightly consider PC to be a parallel market.

The plain truth is that the potential size of the PC market would make putting a price-tag on paying a publisher not to release on PC very hard to estimate and likely very high, so I strongly doubt it ever happens.

Devs often avoid going PC on day#1 because frankly its a lot of work not only to accommodate all the things modern PC gamers expect, but also the obvious fact that they can't optimize for a certain performance profile, they need to factor in a broad range.

Console exclusivity is another matter because every gen the manufacturers need to re-establish their brand and thus are willing to pay handsomely for an advantage.

paolo11

Sorry for asking an ignorant question but what does it mean for the future of ff7 part 3? Will they half bake it?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sorry for asking an ignorant question but what does it mean for the future of ff7 part 3? Will they half bake it?
I mean… I’m sure they’re taking its sales potential into account when deciding how much time/money they’re willing to spend on it. It would be meaningless speculation to say anymore than that though.

adamsapple

True but that was back when the Xbox userbase was still buying their games. When you have publishers/developers outright admitting that putting their game on the Xbox platform makes little sense or is a gamble then I highly doubt releasing on Xbox would have had significant impact on FF sales in this day and age.

Which published said that?

adamsapple

Several. I believe a few of them explained why there was no Xbox version on Limited Run and why several SE and Capcom games released on PS4/5 and Switch but not Xbox.

Outside of comments from folks like Dring "I've heard from so and so", I can't find an actual source-able quote of a publisher rep saying this, if I'm missing something please share.

For publishers like SE and Capcom, this topic is pretty much SE themselves saying that they intend to change that policy. The only Capcom game I can see recently is MH stories, which is a thoroughly last-gen game, didn't even get a PS5 version.

Gambit2483

Outside of comments from folks like Dring "I've heard from so and so", I can't find an actual source-able quote of a publisher rep saying this, if I'm missing something please share.

For publishers like SE and Capcom, this topic is pretty much SE themselves saying that they intend to change that policy. The only Capcom game I can see recently is MH stories, which is a thoroughly last-gen game, didn't even get a PS5 version.

It's kotaku but I'm sure there were other sources. As for the Limited Run one, it was revealed that the Xbox version simply don't sell enough copies to warrant the development time and minimum order profit or something to that extent

Last edited:
Releasing on PC day one would increase development time. It's not as simple as saying fuck Sony and giving up all that sweet free marketing plus releasing the game 12 months sooner. All this costs money.

adamsapple

Right, that's linking to the same Chris Dring line I mentioned in my post.

Anyway, like I said. This very topic itself shows that SE are pivoting hard from their original strategy and will focus on all major platforms for their new games including Xbox and Nintendo's next one. Their exclusivity-strategy for marquee games isn't working out for them that well.

A good chunk of the remainder of the story takes place in areas already covered in the first two games, so the scope was always going to be less.

I think the main thing is that they probally won't spend any effort upgrading the graphics for a game likely not coming out until 2028.

Gambit2483

Right, that's linking to the same Chris Dring line I mentioned in my post.

Anyway, like I said. This very topic itself shows that SE are pivoting hard from their original strategy and will focus on all major platforms for their new games including Xbox and Nintendo's next one. Their exclusivity-strategy for marquee games isn't working out for them that well.
Capcom and SE gets paid to put their games there (expect when they don't) and aren't going to openly say why they aren't putting certain games on it but there are publishers that have spoken out. If the sales aren't there Publishers are going to question their support.

"It's not that we can't develop Xbox ports or that we're too cheap to do it, it's that we don't earn anything on the game digitally. Physical game sales are not high enough on Xbox to offset our development costs, so we have no option but to skip Xbox on these titles."

Top Bottom