• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Square Enix) sales of FF16, FF7 Rebirth and Foamstars fell shorts of expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Square Enix said:
-FF16 sales fell short of expectations. Initial momentum was in line with expectations, but the games failed to reach FY goal as its momentum slowed. No updates from sales number last announced at 3 million
-FF7 Rebirth sales fell short of expectations. Initial momentum didn't reach an internal target. No sales number to share
-Foamstars fell short of expectations. Initial momentum didn't reach an internal target. No sales number to share
-Remains confident FF16 can achieve its goal over the original 18-month sales plan. Also, sales of Rebirth and Foamstars aren't necessarily bad.
-Reorganized develoment team into five console teams, one smartphone game team
-Has been relied too much on an individual's creativity. Will promote sharing game making how-how among teams and will seek best balance of individual creativity and organizational discipline
-DQ12 remains under development.

//DEVIL//

Because their expectations is 200 million copies for Foamstars that was on PS+ day one and 1 billion for each final fantasy.
They sold 3 Million copies of final fantasy 16 on ps5 alone when it was released and the ps5 was barely 3 years in.

How many fucking copies you want from a midcore game outside of the boss battles ???

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
5 console teams?

1. DQ team
2. FF online team
3. FF16 team
4. Rebirth team

What’s the 5th? Forespken team? Thought they were integrated into other teams

And people are gonna still tell me with a straight face that the Final Fantasy brand isn't damaged...
They spent 2 decades making mediocre games. They can't expect to repair that damage with a few game releases.

I'm still traumatized by those 3 FFXIII games, FFXV, etc...all that happened in a 15 year period. The exception was FFXIV and even that one released so bad that they had to re-release it later.

Varteras

Gold Member

the rock wwe GIF

Fbh

FFXVI doesn't surprise me. The game kinda sucked, hype was high which seems in line with the initial momentum, but word of mouth was probably quite poor once people realized it's an ok action game locked to super easy mode and then merged with a 4/10 RPG.

Shame about Rebirth , from what I've heard it's a pretty solid game and released only 4 years after the last one which is pretty decent for modern standards. Personally I skipped it because of the terrible presentation in the demo, games are too expensive now to pay full price on anything but the best of the best.

Foamstars... lol.

And people are gonna still tell me with a straight face that the Final Fantasy brand isn't damaged...

The Square brand is damaged.
There was a time knowing a game was made by Square was enough to get me hyped, sort of like From Software these days.
Now it's pretty hit or miss. There hasn't been a good mainline FF (at least non MMO) in like 18 years (some would argue longer) and the smaller titles are very inconsistent in quality, you've got awesome stuff like Triangle Strategy and mediocre stuff like Diofield Chronicle. It's ok for games to have different budgets and scopes but everything should at least have a minimum standard in regard to story and gameplay.

The retarded names probably don't help either.

Last edited:

bigdad2007

SE is a broken record at this point it’s every time they release a game with broad appeal on not every platform and wonder why sales don’t meet expectations .

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Reallink

They lost like 2-3+ million full priced FF16 sales and 2-3+ million full priced Rebirth sales they'll never get back thanks to Sony's money hats. You got to be braindead as fuck to trade $100's of millions in sales for $10-$30 million dollar exclusivity contracts, it's not 1997 anymore.

Last edited:
bro.... again... no hate... just harsh reality... SE has been so fucking mismanaged that they neeed to go under and rise from the ashes. they suuck hard at everything.

feynoob

Gold Member
They lost like 2-3+ million full priced FF16 sales and 2-3+ million full priced Rebirth sales they'll never get back thanks to Sony's money hats. You got to be braindead as fuck to trade $100's of millions in sales for $10-$30 million dollar exclusivity contracts, it's not 1997 anymore.
Square invested in nfts. Lost their fundings on that crap.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Maybe Square should do the Legend of Zelda model. A 2D and a 3D FF versions. I want the old school 2D turn base. Pixels art or any other 2D art.

-Has been relied too much on an individual's creativity. Will promote sharing game making how-how among teams and will seek best balance of individual creativity and organizational discipline

This sounds like a good move. Wonder why it took them so long to make this change.

At this rate maybe in a couple of decades they will start making decent games.

Aenima

Square Enix expectations just lack common sense.

They made a main FF game (FF16) that is more an action game than a JRPG, what did you expect? (I loved FF16 for the combat, but is not the type of game FF fans expect from a main FF)

They made a remake of one of the most beloved FF games but splited a story already told between 3 games, are you expecting to sell more copies of the episode 2 compared to episode 1?

Square Enix expectations just lack common sense.

They made a main FF game (FF16) that is more an action game than a JRPG, what did you expect? (I loved FF16 for the combat, but is not the type of game FF fans expect from a main FF)

They made a remake of one of the most beloved FF games but splited a story already told between 3 games, are you expecting to sell more copies of the episode 2 compared to episode 1?

FF is such a big IP it can’t stand as an exclusive, its budget requires it to be released on as many platforms as possible to recoup the investment and make it profitable, e.g: Capcom managing the Resident Evil IP.

Btw FF XVI being a pure JRPG wouldn’t make it sell more copies, enough of excuses with it. Just another bland FF entry

ProtoByte

XVI was never going to be a groundbreaker. I still remember my locked thread for explaining (one of the reasons) why.

Allandor

SE is a broken record at this point it’s every time they release a game with broad appeal on not every platform and wonder why sales don’t meet expectations .
This. When FF xv and ff7 remake came out, it was on an already established ps4 with a lot more console sales. Currently PS5 has not been sold that many times (not like ps4 at the time of the release) and so the audience is smaller. Also they made FF to be just another action game instead of a real jrpg FF. So they also lost much of their fan base there. Multiplatform release could have helped but that would have to include the switch.

Btw, FF7 rebirth was a nice nostalgic trip, but they changed so much, not everyone really liked it (including me). So they also lost some Fans of the series there, who will not pay full price or buy it at all.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
And now it's all they have. They put all their eggs in one basket. The only IP to be excited about from them is Dragon Quest and maybe the odd AA game or two.

Their best games have been Octopath and SO2R.

Give us lower budget AA games and stop chasing graphics so your games don't need to sell 10 million copies per game to be a success, and don't need 5-6 years of development.

Fabieter

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wikipedia has them listed as a subsidiary of Square Enix, so if Square as a whole is doing poorly, Tri Ace may suffer budget cuts and talent poaching.

You are right strange as they did games for alot of different publishers.

Tri-Ace isn't a Square Enix subsidiary. They just have a really strong publishing partnership with them. They're owned by a holdings company.

Hopefully this doesn't affect FF7 Part 3 too much. They need to finish this strong, it's basically the reason they exist as they do today. Do players right with your big game and the rest will take care of itself.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Hopefully this doesn't affect FF7 Part 3 too much. They need to finish this strong, it's basically the reason they exist as they do today. Do players right with your big game and the rest will take care of itself.
I wouldn't expect much. They are going down the KH story path. I don't really find the story all that compelling in regards to OG FF7. And I don't think the combat system on it's own is gonna carry FF7 like they think it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom