• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix says sales of Final Fantasy 16 are “extremely strong”, telling IGN the game has sold well relative to the PS5 install base

There are four or five games that can sell with every PS5 (Horizon, God of War, a Spider-Man title, FF16). This will be one of those. I wouldn't anticipate a price drop or sale until Thanksgiving.
or buy used. Some many people claim they list the game for dirt cheap price since they hate it so much.

ergem

It's time they use Decima Engine or UE5 and bring back the world map and sense of wonderment and exploration.

I loved FFXVI for its story and I enjoyed the gameplay. But I think they really should bring back open world. Open world really sells to a lot of audience.

But keep the story tight. They were able to do it in ff7-ff9 era.

Last edited:

ergem

The meaning illision of open world. Does it even matter it is open world but withj only 1 destonation

Put some hidden treasures, hidden caves (not thousands of them like Hogwarts), points of interest, etc, in between the destinations. Give us a sense of exploration and wonderment. Environmental story-telling. Make the biggest open world in history spanning continents like it used to be in the old FFs. I know it's a lot of work, but I thought using Decima or UE5 would make it feasible.

Oof85

Not gonna argue the difference between "doing extremely well" and "extremely strong". It's not that serious. SE seems pleased so far so I'm not interested in all the "yeah, buts".
My post wasn't referring to the variable degrees between extremely well or extremely strong but what SE was making a statement on.

Their printed words were initial sales, ie opening sales ie launch sales.

They put out a statement saying they were pleased with the 3 million ww sold in three days, which is on par for the series recent outings.

You said that they said the game is selling extremely well, and that's not what they said.

Do you not see the difference?

That's what I addressed, not anything about the difference between extremely well vs extremely strong.

IAmRei

The weirdos that want 16 to be a failure are in shambles
3m sales aint small, i'm agree, there is some moves in the net, people wants ff16 fails so bad, but 3m is not even close to fail. maybe not so big than before, but for one platform only, still damn fine

Put some hidden treasures, hidden caves (not thousands of them like Hogwarts), points of interest, etc, in between the destinations. Give us a sense of exploration and wonderment. Environmental story-telling. Make the biggest open world in history spanning continents like it used to be in the old FFs. I know it's a lot of work, but I thought using Decima or UE5 would make it feasible.
They are all pretty meaningless tbh. People look at guide and will go straigh to their destination.

ergem

They are all pretty meaningless tbh. People look at guide and will go straigh to their destination.

Let them do it. The open world would still increase the sales of this franchise. What we do not want is open world at the expense of story telling. I would rather have tight story telling than open world. But if we look at ff7-ff9 and imagine the world map as a flesh out open world, we know they can pull off a good story in an open world.

It's just... a lot of work. But perhaps Decima or UE5 can help with that.

EDMIX

Aside from FFXV, it's never really been open world.

yea..thats not really true at all.

FF literally started as an open world game, so if you started playing FFX or something, I understand if you didn't know that was a thing, but FF very much is mostly an open world series.

I mean, you literally have an airship and go place to place....town to town.

So from FF1, FF2, FF3, FF4, FFV, FFVI and even FFVII, they are open world, with towns, dungeons and airships to travel. I'd argue MOST of the series is actually fucking open world to then play FFXIII or something and then start arguing "never really been" based on...what, 3 fucking titles? smh

So yea, I don't know about all that now lol

I mean, did you really not know that older FF titles had vehicles to travel across the open world like Airships and cars etc? Did you just think that FFXV was the first to do this or? lol

E ergem Agreed. I love FFXVI right now, its a great game, with a great story, but that element of open world from the classic concept is missing a great deal. So I hope the next major FF title has a return to a traditional FF format with open world, airships, different towns etc.

Last edited:

Pejo

Well I will be fully transparent here, I was hoping the game would fail spectacularly. Not for platform fanboyism reasons, I just don't like the new direction that they're taking the series. 16 really seems like a "Final Fantasy for people who hate Final Fantasy", and shifting it to Yoshi P (who admittedly "saved" FFXIV by making it the most mainstream nostalgia baiting WoW clone he could make) seemed like another casualization and bastardization of a storied JRPG series, which it was.

That said, 3 million in a month is "good" for a month on a single platform, but I doubt S-E is sitting there patting each other on the back about it. Plus the sales took a nosedive as early as the 2nd week despite the week 1 sales looking really impressive. I don't think there's a publisher out there that's ruining or ignoring IPs that I love worse (in my opinion), with exception of maybe Konami. I'm really concerned about DQ12 if I'm being honest. Over the last 10 years, S-E has gone from one bad trend chase to another, with some NFT worship shoved in. They have this insistence that the only way they can succeed is to take all of their properties and try to make western-appealing casualized theme park pump and dump games.

Anyways, all of that said, I still would like to play FF16 someday if it comes out on PC, at a discount. I like character action games quite a bit, so I'm sure I could still have fun with the spectacle and combat.

What's up with the last line of the title?
That depict negative connotation.

People really can't handle the facts do they? It's apparent that it sold well and it's a HIT by standards but these cynics.

Rykan

Which press statements went out saying they were so happy of the success of Forespoken?
They don't typically release press releases commenting on their games' sales. This statement was in response to an inquiry from IGN. If there's no inquiry asking about the early sales of Forspoken, there's not going to be a response.

We found out about SE's thoughts about Forspoken in the same place where we find all their thoughts about their games performance: In their financial reports.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Well I will be fully transparent here, I was hoping the game would fail spectacularly. Not for platform fanboyism reasons, I just don't like the new direction that they're taking the series.

the series?

Sir...this is just for FF16, the whole series has been about being different from title to title, which means certain elements from 1 title to another may not be in a future title.

FFXV and FFXVI literally have 2 different directions in regards to the core design to really be worried about direction of the series. So for all you know, the next FF title is nothing like FFXVI, but shit look at the differences from FFXV to FFXVI.

Pejo

the series?

Sir...this is just for FF16, the whole series has been about being different from title to title, which means certain elements from 1 title to another may not be in a future title.

FFXV and FFXVI literally have 2 different directions in regards to the core design to really be worried about direction of the series. So for all you know, the next FF title is nothing like FFXVI, but shit look at the differences from FFXV to FFXVI.
This argument is as old as the IP, and might as well be an auto-reply from blind fanboys whenever somebody says that they don't like the new direction of Final Fantasy. I get what you're saying, but you can't ignore 35~ years of a general flow of gameplay style and then release something this DRASTICALLY different and say "dude what do you mean, Final Fantasy always changes lol". This game had zero need to be called "Final Fantasy", other than S-E wanting the brand recognition and EZ fanboy sales from calling it such.

I really don't want to get into another argument about this same old shit, so I'm dipping out, I was just giving my honest opinions about this game and its sales.

EDMIX

This argument is as old as the IP, and might as well be an auto-reply from blind fanboys whenever somebody says that they don't like the new direction of Final Fantasy. I get what you're saying, but you can't ignore 35~ years of a general flow of gameplay style and then release something this DRASTICALLY different and say "dude what do you mean, Final Fantasy always changes lol". This game had zero need to be called "Final Fantasy", other than S-E wanting the brand recognition and EZ fanboy sales from calling it such.

I really don't want to get into another argument about this same old shit, so I'm dipping out, I was just giving my honest opinions about this game and its sales.

That has nothing to fucking do with "fanboys", the series has always had different designs, concepts, battle systems etc from game to game.

Its why FFXVI clearly isn't like FFXV.

Shit, you can't even fucking worry about 1 fucking game to another game to then pretend this is something to worry about for the whole SERIES, that simply doesn't make sense when you objectively look at the evidence. Thats like someone saying they are worried that FFXIII will make the whole series like that....the FFXIV is an MMO, then FFXV is more open world and then FFXVI is linear lol

Fuck you worried about exactly? Like what feature are you talking about ? The games are different from title to title lol
So as someone that actually plays the whole series and completely loving FFXVI, it 100% is a Final Fantasy game. You didn't buy and are not playing this game to be telling folks what it is or isn't lol

So this comment regarding "Plus the sales took a nosedive" is irrelevant.

You are literally talking about just about every major single player game.

Using your logic, GTA V bombed, flopped, took a "nosedive", I don't understand, did you just assume all single player games continue to sell millions weeks after release in regards to charting? If one of the best selling games of all time, literally dropped off of those charts to the tone of 82%, I think maybe...juuuuuuust maybe, you need to put that theory to rest.

I've heard more then enough people citing this shit with zero information, back up, evidence that selling BEYOND that is the norm in regards to statistics.

Using your logic sir, Zelda ToK flopped and bombed too lol

https://www.pockettactics.com/zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom/uk-sales

So...I have no clue who keeps pushing this fudd, but please stop using the second month or second week or some shit of sales dropping as some massive find of evidence of some "odd" or "different" thing that is going on.

Nothing points that being something to worry about.

Last edited:

Pejo

User removed from the thread for low effort trolling.
That has nothing to fucking do with "fanboys", the series has always had different designs, concepts, battle systems etc from game to game.

Its why FFXVI clearly isn't like FFXV.

Shit, you can't even fucking worry about 1 fucking game to another game to then pretend this is something to worry about for the whole SERIES, that simply doesn't make sense when you objectively look at the evidence. Thats like someone saying they are worried that FFXIII will make the whole series like that....the FFXIV is an MMO, then FFXV is more open world and then FFXVI is linear lol

Fuck you worried about exactly? Like what feature are you talking about ? The games are different from title to title lol

So this comment regarding "Plus the sales took a nosedive" is irrelevant.

You are literally talking about just about every major single player game.

Using your logic, GTA V bombed, flopped, took a "nosedive", I don't understand, did you just assume all single player games continue to sell millions weeks after release in regards to charting? If one of the best selling games of all time, literally dropped off of those charts to the tone of 82%, I think maybe...juuuuuuust maybe, you need to put that theory to rest.

I've heard more then enough people citing this shit with zero information, back up, evidence that selling BEYOND that is the norm in regards to statistics.

Using your logic sir, Zelda ToK flopped and bombed too lol

https://www.pockettactics.com/zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom/uk-sales

So...I have no clue who keeps pushing this fudd, but please stop using the second month or second week or some shit of sales dropping as some massive find of evidence of some "odd" or "different" thing that is going on.

Nothing points that being something to worry about.
Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

EDMIX

lol why are you even in this thread? Your trolling "concern" regarding its sales doesn't make any sense and this fake "worry" about its direction is just as meaningless when you can't even name these elements that have even carried from 1 title to the next to "worry" about.

So, I think you are just triggered as to why you've resorted to this, "blind fanboys" argument and suddenly you can't read when actual data is given to you that directly contradicts anything you are saying.

so...I mean you spent more time looking for a picture then any evidence to support really anything in your post so.....good luck lol

Last edited:

X-Wing

Well I will be fully transparent here, I was hoping the game would fail spectacularly. Not for platform fanboyism reasons, I just don't like the new direction that they're taking the series. 16 really seems like a "Final Fantasy for people who hate Final Fantasy", and shifting it to Yoshi P (who admittedly "saved" FFXIV by making it the most mainstream nostalgia baiting WoW clone he could make) seemed like another casualization and bastardization of a storied JRPG series, which it was.

That said, 3 million in a month is "good" for a month on a single platform, but I doubt S-E is sitting there patting each other on the back about it. Plus the sales took a nosedive as early as the 2nd week despite the week 1 sales looking really impressive. I don't think there's a publisher out there that's ruining or ignoring IPs that I love worse (in my opinion), with exception of maybe Konami. I'm really concerned about DQ12 if I'm being honest. Over the last 10 years, S-E has gone from one bad trend chase to another, with some NFT worship shoved in. They have this insistence that the only way they can succeed is to take all of their properties and try to make western-appealing casualized theme park pump and dump games.

Anyways, all of that said, I still would like to play FF16 someday if it comes out on PC, at a discount. I like character action games quite a bit, so I'm sure I could still have fun with the spectacle and combat.

Such strong negative opinions whitout ever playing the game.

Last edited:
lol why are you even in this thread? Your trolling "concern" regarding its sales doesn't make any sense and this fake "worry" about its direction is just as meaningless when you can't even name these elements that have even carried from 1 title to the next to "worry" about.

So, I think you are just triggered as to why you've resorted to this, "blind fanboys" argument and suddenly you can't read when actual data is given to you that directly contradicts anything you are saying.

so...I mean you spent more time looking for a picture then any evidence to support really anything in your post so.....good luck lol
The thing is: i am not sure he is trolling... some are true believer to their causes. Like in the locked ot thread. Some of us talk about the game is good with the issues then some peoeple like him pop up and complete trash the game., going as far are lying about the game.

mortal

Gold Member
The FUD surrounding FFXVI is kind of bizarre. I don't understand where it's coming from or why it's even happening.
It's done relatively well despite the slowdown. Will likely get a second wind once it comes to PC.

It's like any popular release that doesn't achieve Elden Ring or Zelda numbers is automatically a failure according to some people.

ByWatterson

The meaning illision of open world. Does it even matter it is open world but withj only 1 destonation

Right. Early FF games (1-6) had an overworld, not really an open world. They were about as open world as Ocarina of Time, at least until the last third of the game when you get an airship. But even then you pretty much just flew to a spot and did stuff THERE, not in the overworld. You fought monsters in the overworld, that's about it.

That's not meaningfully different from the obelisk mechanic + littered monsters in FFXVI.

kevm3

FF16 was fantastic. Glad they didn't do the typical trend-following and did their own thing with this game. Clive is the best FF protagonist in a long while.

EDMIX

Right. Early FF games (1-6) had an overworld, not really an open world.

it semantics, you traveled through a world with vehicles bud, town to town.

I don't see how doing that in 3D suddenly made it a different genre as if the thing happening in FFXV, conceptually was never done before or something in regards to design. So "oVeRwoRlDz" is simply another type of open world game....

Last edited:

ByWatterson

it semantics, you traveled through a world with vehicles bud, town to town.

I don't see how doing that in 3D suddenly made it a different genre as if the thing happening in FFXV, conceptually was never done before or something in regards to design. So "oVeRwoRlDz" is simply another type of open world game....

I guess? But it's a bad kind unless it's so tight as to make it unnecessary. Ubisoft drove it into the ground.

Now, if they took an Elden Ring/TOTK approach, where you just explore and find stuff and have intrinsic motivation to keep exploring, I could get into that, but linearity at the service of narrative (which has been FF's primary strength since FFIV) is grossly underrated as a game design.

Those older games were very linear until the story was nearly complete. Best to keep it that way.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Now, if they took an Elden Ring/TOTK approach, where you just explore and find stuff and have intrinsic motivation to keep exploring, I could get into that, but linearity at the service of narrative (which has been FF's primary strength since FFIV) is grossly underrated as a game design.
I would not mind if they did that in a FF title or 2.

Those older games were very linear until the story was nearly complete. Best to keep it that way.
Sure, but having an one world never stopped them from being very linear, sure you had some optional towns, quest etc, but that open world lends to both concepts as its not really an either or.

Could be wrong but when I look at the numbers for uncharted and horizon, first week ff16 did better?

Both went on to sell 15mil and 20 mil respectively, so I don't know why people want to call ff16 a failure so quickly after it comes out even after square enix themselves called the performance"extremely strong". This is all while ignoring how much competition so far this year for players time on Playstation compared to what Horizon and uncharted 4 faced. Also shouldn't ignore the higher price tag for ff16.

It is funny, a game like octopath traveller 2, which is a turn based classic rpg took until june to reach 1 million copies on a huge install base, doing worse than its predecessor and not one peep out of people.

Guaranteed square looks at that and thinks it did the right moves with ff16
Is this a joke? Octopath Traveler 2 has like 1% of the budget of FFXVI.

MrA

Banned
And yet 3.4 million in a month for tomb raider 2013 wasn't good enough, square enix bias against their former western studios was crazy,
So I wonder which is true 3 million for ff16 is fine and sqe bias against their western studios actually lead them to sell profitable ips and studios for a pittance or ff16 actually isn't going that hot and their pride won't let them admit it
Maybe in the middle?
Personally I'm wagering the former letting their bias against their western studios could their judgement

Danwan224

And yet 3.4 million in a month for tomb raider 2013 wasn't good enough, square enix bias against their former western studios was crazy,
So I wonder which is true 3 million for ff16 is fine and sqe bias against their western studios actually lead them to sell profitable ips and studios for a pittance or ff16 actually isn't going that hot and their pride won't let them admit it
Maybe in the middle?
Personally I'm wagering the former letting their bias against their western studios could their judgement
Tomb Raider definitely costed more

Tomb Raider definitely costed more

It was PS3 era game. Budgets used to be 15-30 million back then.

And it sold for $60, marginally lower cost than FF16.

Profitability of Tomb Raider wouldn't be on same planet compared to FF16, which must've costed $100 million + to make.

lyan

Any proof besides tomb raiders shorter development time and smaller staff? Oh wait those point to a lower cost
They stated the Western titles under-performed while Japan sales were strong that year and the segment resulted in a loss, so it is a logical conclusion unless they cooked their books.

Top Bottom