• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 sales results were in the range of their expectations, feel the penetration of PS5 performance was quite good.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Update:

Likely a translation snafu in the earnings call.

-

Sales of Final Fantasy 16 did not meet Square Enix's high expectations, said president Takashi Kiryu.

Last week the company's latest earnings report was released and while net sales increased, operating profit dropped 79 percent from ¥14.4bn to just ¥3.0bn.

During a post-earnings call to analysts, Kiryu said the high end of the company's expectations were not met and the slow adoption of the PlayStation 5 was a limiting factor, Bloomberg reports.

Square Enix will now take steps to boost sales of the game now that hardware supply is less constricted and the console userbase continues to expand.

The company's net sales for HD games had increased, thanks to the launch of Final Fantasy 16 and the Pixel Remasters, although operating income was down due to the cost of development.

For MMOs, net sales decreased compared to the previous year. However, this is due to the success of Final Fantasy 14's Endwalker expansion last year; this year will be a lull in sales ahead of next year's Dawntrail expansion.

As a result of the low profit numbers, stock has fallen as much as 15 percent in Tokyo, with shares trading at around ¥5,620 - their lowest since May last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

squarealex

erf... stop posting viral shit source...
Because the source of the Eurogamer news is ....

Written by...

When once (again) misinterpreted...

4668ddad0b446f63a5cb274035b0e56abc81c592.png

This is the same guys saying PSVR2 flopping hard or Sony failed some report, because people buy less PS5 game

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Then Its their fault for spending so much on the game.
It could do without 50% of side quests and all side quests quality bloat in the story.
It could be at least 30% smaller and it would be a better game.

They overspend on the game and then whine.

jm89

Not as much as on Playstation,

But it's still an extra 1m copies minimum depending on the game.
Lol.

Ms has conditioned there userbase to not buy games. that may have been the case a decade ago.

Xbox is a dead platform for japanese games sales, if they release it it's because phil begged for it and some hope he pays for it to be on gamepass on day one or somewhere down the line. Only metric they will do well in is some bullshit overinflated gamepass engagement numbers.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Do outlets really post articles on baseless stuff like this. It might be true but this is filled with assumptions at best.

peish

interest in ff16 dropped like a rock, it got bad word of mouth. it failed.

back to the drawing board, i hope they allow yoshi p another crack at ff17. but not the last remnant producer guy coming back.

the last interesting square game was nier automata...perhaps rope those producers for ff17...

funny ff16 team and influencers were making big hype about its english script and VA. here we have small belgium team with BG3, and the english voices sound better acted and written already!

Draugoth

Gold Member
Ms has conditioned there userbase to not buy games. that may have been the case a decade ago.

The exclusivity paid for a game like FFXVI on GP would be very high
Xbox is a dead platform for japanese games sales, if they release it it's because phil begged for it and some hope he pays for it to be on gamepass on day one or somewhere down the line. Only metric they will do well in is some bullshit overinflated gamepass engagement numbers.

FFXVI on Xbox would be for western audiences, not japanese. There's a lot of people on Xbox who wants to play Rebirth and FFXVI, but at this point they probably already played on PC and PS5

Eotheod

Lol.

Wasn't there some stats showing a rather high uptick in sales after a game went onto game pass? Something along the lines of people using the system as a demo platform and if they liked it enough they'd buy it to retain.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
3 million is not bad for a game like that. They were probably expecting Hogwarts sales but if you want that you need to release on all platforms at once. Xbox splits are usually 20% with PC bringing in another 15%. They couldve hit 5 million had they not taken Sony's money hat to buy themselves yahcts, cocaine and hookers.

You would hope after Tomb Raider and FFXV that the sales projection team would return to Earth a little.

BTW, platinumed FFXVI last night and the quality drops off during the second half of the game. Fucking side quests.

Draugoth

Gold Member
3 million is not bad for a game like that. They were probably expecting Hogwarts sales but if you want that you need to release on all platforms at once. Xbox splits are usually 20% with PC bringing in another 15%. They couldve hit 5 million had they not taken Sony's money hat to buy themselves yahcts, cocaine and hookers.

FFXV sold 5 million units on it's first month across all platforms, not sure how much Sony paid for the exclusivity but it seems it wasnt worth it.

Last edited:

jm89

The exclusivity paid for a game like FFXVI on GP would be very high

FFXVI on Xbox would be for western audiences, not japanese. There's a lot of people on Xbox who wants to play Rebirth and FFXVI, but at this point they probably already played on PC and PS5
I'm sure the whatever they get paid to put it on GP would be high, but we are talking about sales here, 1 million on xbox that quick is a fairy tale.

jm89

Wasn't there some stats showing a rather high uptick in sales after a game went onto game pass? Something along the lines of people using the system as a demo platform and if they liked it enough they'd buy it to retain.
Nah there is no trend showing that. One or two games having some positive uptick is meaningless.

Flabagast

Game is good and one of the rare examples of a true next gen visual showcase. However it's far from perfect of course, but I hope it manages to have some legs

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
erf... stop posting viral shit source...
Because the source of the Eurogamer news is ....

Written by...

When once (again) misinterpreted...

4668ddad0b446f63a5cb274035b0e56abc81c592.png

This is the same guys saying PSVR2 flopping hard or Sony failed some report, because people buy less PS5 game

Thank god for David Gibson. I don't know the nationality of Takashi Mochizuki, but it feels odd that a white man was able to better translate something on a Japanese call than him. It's embarrassing actually.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I was so excited for this game until impressions came out and stated it was light on rpg elements. I haven't played it, but it seems like they went hard on the action and particle effects in an effort to bring in the adhd Tik Tok generation and totally alienated long time fans.

Like I said I haven't played it but that was the reaction I got from impressions and word of mouth here at GAF.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

How do you know the actual game would have run as well as it does without Playstation's engineering help?

Go_Ly_Dow

I feel like they say this about every game.

I wonder if word of mouth about the actual game deflated the demo hype.

I gotta see the expectations for Square one of these days because they must think every game is going to sell 100 million copies easy.

They wanted to sell 20m copies in a week, they arent getting that with FF unless they release toi all platforms or wait 6 years

Slow adoption of the PlayStation 5 as a reason.
What is SE smoking because please share

Fallen for fake/distorted news take.

Also, Eurogamer at this point has most definitely become an unpologetic clickbait website. Must be losing a lot of web traffic over the past years to other gaming websites and YouTube.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I feel like they say this about every game.

Square Enix execs are so out of touch its genuinely amusing at this point.
They expect every game to sell 10 hundred million dollars, and regardless of whether the game is profitable or not, if it doesnt make 10 hundred million dollars they are disappointed.

Im glad Crystal Dynamics and Eidos are out from under them cuz they were basically setting up those studios for failure constantly.
Yes Tomb Raider is popular.....No its not going to do 15 million units, but scoffing at 8 - 10 million units is beyond deluded.

Top Bottom