• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please Stop Posting Paul Gale Network News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
sCX6K.png

Retro Studios is hot off a four game win streak thanks to Donkey Kong Country Returns and the Metroid Prime trilogy, but according to them, what they’re working on for Wii’s successor is “a project everyone wants us to do”.

I spoke with two different people at the Austin, Texas based first party developer for Nintendo to see if I could get any more information on the “Wii 2″ which many are calling Project Cafe. Whatever the system’s name ends up being, my sources at Retro Studios said that their company was amongst the very first to receive a development kit and that they’ve been on board developing a new project ever since.

What could they be working on? Something that “everyone wants them to do” means one of two things to me. First off, it could be a new, ‘built from the ground up’ first person shooter…something that many gamers have been begging them to do. It makes sense and the way I see it, it would be the modern equivelant to what Perfect Dark was to Goldeneye 007 on the Nintendo 64.

PD and Goldeneye were both by Rare, with 007 being from an existing frachise and rather than a sequel, the company used it as foundation for creating an original ip. I can see and personally hope that this is the case with what Retro Studios has cooking.

The second thing that I’ve seen a lot of gamers ask for is a Zelda game made by the same people that brought us Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns. I don’t know how likely that one is, but who knows…it certainly is possible.

One thing is certain and that is us getting something great from Retro Studios. Hopefully we’ll find more at E3.

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...n-a-project-everyone-wants-us-to-do-on-wii-2/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Vic said:
Metroid Dread.

I would buy a thousand Wii 2s for this.

Edit: Assuming it didn't follow in the shit-filled footsteps of Other M. Dread (or whatever the next Metroid game is) needs to be a "classic" Metroid title.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't want a FPS. Guess I'm a nobody. ;_;

I want Super Unirally 3D eXtreme Ultra.

Shiggy

I hope it's something you would not expect from Nintendo. Metroid Prime was something like that, whereas a DKC game could've been done at another developer (my opinion of course).
After playing MP3 right now (don't really care about MP1&MP2, though my father enjoys the second one right now), I'm a Retro Studios believer though :D

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Wait a second. What people have been requesting Retro to produce lately? I remember one guy asking for Retro to do a Petz kinda game o_O

V_Ben

Banned
Actually, what other franchises could they do? I'd love to see them do an action RPG set in Hyrule, or a brand new Starfox. I can dream.

gdt

Retro can do whatever they want. So I'm very much looking forward to it.

I'd bet................... a new IP. They're not looking to return to Metroid yet, I don't think. They could certainly be in charge of a 3DS Metroid though.

antonz

Starfox or F-Zero are the options I would wager.

Zelda is a pipe dream that will never happen unless Nintendo really wants to shake things up and its not planned for release for another 3 years or more

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Wii 2 Music.

Seriously though, Metroid Dread would be the big one fans have been demanding for years from them.

Though what I would like them to do, but that I know no one is asking for, is a new Mach Rider game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Vic said:
Wait a second. What people have been requesting Retro to produce lately? I remember one guy asking for Retro to do a Petz kinda game o_O

I believe people want them to make another Metroid game, since the prime series was so sucessful.

Seriously, what else should everyone want them to do?

List of RS games
NELbo.png

After Metroid and Donkey Kong Country, it's obviously StarFox or F-Zero.

And I bet on F-Zero.

It can't be Zelda. Retro Studios are rebooters. Zelda don't need a Reboot.

KenOD said:
Wii 2 Music.

Seriously though, Metroid Dread would be the big one fans have been demanding for years from them.
Twii Music :p

I guess it's an older franchise which we would like to see renewed. No Zelda, Metroid or Mario, but something like Ice Climbers, Star Fox Adventures or New Donkey Kong Returns.

F-Zero is also an option, but I think that would be better of at a studio that can handle superfast arcade racing.

First thing I thought of was Zelda. But then, I remembered people want them to do DKC Returns 2 and Metroid Dread as well, so... yeah.

V_Ben said:
Whatever it is, I'm getting it.
As someone who isn't a huge fan of the Metroid Prime games... I agree. I guess I'm in love with Retro after DKC.

Akihabara said:
It can't be Zelda. Retro Studios are rebooters. Zelda don't need a Reboot.
Just because they have done re-boots doesn't mean that that's all they're going to do.

Shiggy

Sn4ke_911 said:
I believe people want them to make another Metroid game, since the prime series was so sucessful.

Seriously, what else should everyone want them to do?

I want them to do their Zelda game again or something new (impossible with current Nintendo).

Mojojo said:
Raven Blade !

It hasn't aged well...
2.jpg

From reading comments here and elsewhere, I'd say the thing most people ask for isL ket them loose on an original IP.

If this rumour is accurate, then what better time to try new IP from a strong dev than at the launch of a new system?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Retro's Metroid work is some of my favourite gaming of all time so if it must be an existing IP I want Prime HD. I hate the idea of a first person Zelda. Star Fox is good, but I'll take Metroid over Fox and co quite easily.

Otherwise, I want a new IP. New IP from Retro to bring in a new generation.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Shiggy said:
After playing MP3 right now (don't really care about MP1&MP2, though my father enjoys the second one right now), I'm a Retro Studios believer though :D
Your father has better taste than you.

wsippel

Banned
Posting it again, from Retros latest company profile (released about a week ago):

Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms.

tzare

i was going to skip Nintendo HW for a while, but a 'next-gen' Metroid is a must have. Killzone-like atmosphere with samus, soooo good.

I also think they're doing F-Zero. This is not just wishful thinking, I just don't see them doing a Zelda game when there's already OOT remake and Skyward Sword coming. Another DKCR would be too soon. Starfox could be possible, but I don't think so because of the 3DS remake. I have a feeling that Retro wanted to a different genre again after DKCR, so F-Zero would be the most likely Nintendo IP based creative challenge for them. I think it would also make sense to have a "core" racing game like F-Zero ready at Wii 2's launch.

plank

I keep hearing people wanting them to do a Zelda game. But wouldn't be surprised if it was a metroid title.

Shiggy

blu said:
Your father has better taste than you.

Hehe, I felt lost in MP1 and I don't want to play all three games at once ;)
Bought the trilogy because it cost only 10 Euros more than the normal game.

It won't be a mainline Zelda title. Those should always stay with EAD.

But I wouldn't rule out a spinoff, like the oft-rumored Sheik game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom