• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro made Donkey Kong all these years instead of Metroid Prime because it was easier for them

Gusy

Exactly what I said.

Because the Prime series killed Metroid.

Chris Pratt What GIF

Shifty

Exactly what I said.

Because the Prime series killed Metroid.
Understood - a snappy-sounding yet ultimately false statement borne from salt over your favourite toy changing identity.

You and the OP are a perfect fit for one another.

Variahunter

Even if I loved DKC, and with DKCR et TP being really good platformers, I can't help but think that the atmosphere was not on par with the original trilogy.

As for Metroid, the Prime games were really great for spin offs. But not on the level of Super Metroid greatness.

There was something lost during the transition to 3D.

And it's not only in the controls, that were less subtle mechanically than Super Metroid. It's like they've seen Super Metroid, but did not play it. Or choose to completely ignore how important platforming was for the series, and the skills required to master Samus agility and flow.

Instead, we have tank Samus in Prime. Do we owe that to the FPS view ? Yes, for sure. What the FPS view adds to the immersion, it removes to the agility of Samus. She seriously feels like a Mech from Mechwarriors... And only one stick to control her only adds up to that feeling.

So because of that FPS view, we get far less interesting level design (even if it's a really good one for a FPS), way less vertical, no wall jump, no Shinespark, no speedbooster, a scripted grapple etc... all of this for more shooting mechanics. I mean we're lucky to even have the morphball, but I think they were kinda obligated to include it as it's a staple in the series.

The atmosphere is great. But again, it was very different from the 2D series, at least until Super. Sure, you got loneliness, great atmospheric music.

But the tone is completely changed. Gone is the horror alien vibe. Gone is the pressure. The tone is more... contemplative and mysterious. You're supposed to be in awe with Phendrana or Tallon Surface. Chozo ruins are mysterious in atmosphere.

Super Metroid doesn't evoke contemplation. It evokes heavy pressure, horror, and yes mystery. And the world / graphics / level design constantly being harsh/agressive contributes to that feeling.

Just compare the music and tone from the arrival on Zebes and Tallon. Tallon has an contemplative music, almost welcoming, whereas Zebes has an cold / eerie ambiant music. It really sums up the big difference between the main series and the Prime spin offs. Even when Prime 2 tried to be darker, it didn't reach the horror vibe at all. It's darkness but just in colors, not themes or presentation.

We already have 3 FPS Primes. What could another one bring to the table ? More of the same yeah, which, considering Retro has not done anything since 2014, would be cool.

But I don't see that episode having the novelty of the immersion factor the first Prime had. And I hope they won't replicate once again the same contemplative ambiance.

Nintendo doesn't seem to know what to do with Metroid in 3D... I mean Other M wasn't good not only because of the controls, but also because of the plot, Samus, bad level design, bad music, and the simplified gameplay.

I still don't get why they don't try a free 3D camera, like in Sekiro for example. It could reaaly be a good template. It has everything, jump, run, wall jump, shuriken as the beam, new items to discover.

They could even add 2 views, one where you play like in Sekiro with auto targetting that would be less precise (let's say 30% but could be augmented up to 70%), and another one behind the back like in Gears of War when you aim by pressing the left trigger, and where you would be 100% precise.

This way you can retain the platformers roots of the 2D series.

Even if I loved DKC, and with DKCR et TP being really good platformers, I can't help but think that the atmosphere was not on par with the original trilogy.

As for Metroid, the Prime games were really great for spin offs. But not on the level of Super Metroid greatness.

There was something lost during the transition to 3D.

And it's not only in the controls, that were less subtle mechanically than Super Metroid. It's like they've seen Super Metroid, but did not play it. Or choose to completely ignore how important platforming was for the series, and the skills required to master Samus agility and flow.

Instead, we have tank Samus in Prime. Do we owe that to the FPS view ? Yes, for sure. What the FPS view adds to the immersion, it removes to the agility of Samus. She seriously feels like a Mech from Mechwarriors... And only one stick to control her only adds up to that feeling.

So because of that FPS view, we get far less interesting level design (even if it's a really good one for a FPS), way less vertical, no wall jump, no Shinespark, no speedbooster, a scripted grapple etc... all of this for more shooting mechanics. I mean we're lucky to even have the morphball, but I think they were kinda obligated to include it as it's a staple in the series.

The atmosphere is great. But again, it was very different from the 2D series, at least until Super. Sure, you got loneliness, great atmospheric music.

But the tone is completely changed. Gone is the horror alien vibe. Gone is the pressure. The tone is more... contemplative and mysterious. You're supposed to be in awe with Phendrana or Tallon Surface. Chozo ruins are mysterious in atmosphere.

Super Metroid doesn't evoke contemplation. It evokes heavy pressure, horror, and yes mystery. And the world / graphics / level design constantly being harsh/agressive contributes to that feeling.

Just compare the music and tone from the arrival on Zebes and Tallon. Tallon has an contemplative music, almost welcoming, whereas Zebes has an cold / eerie ambiant music. It really sums up the big difference between the main series and the Prime spin offs. Even when Prime 2 tried to be darker, it didn't reach the horror vibe at all. It's darkness but just in colors, not themes or presentation.

We already have 3 FPS Primes. What could another one bring to the table ? More of the same yeah, which, considering Retro has not done anything since 2014, would be cool.

But I don't see that episode having the novelty of the immersion factor the first Prime had. And I hope they won't replicate once again the same contemplative ambiance.

Nintendo doesn't seem to know what to do with Metroid in 3D... I mean Other M wasn't good not only because of the controls, but also because of the plot, Samus, bad level design, bad music, and the simplified gameplay.

I still don't get why they don't try a free 3D camera, like in Sekiro for example. It could reaaly be a good template. It has everything, jump, run, wall jump, shuriken as the beam, new items to discover.

They could even add 2 views, one where you play like in Sekiro with auto targetting that would be less precise (let's say 30% but could be augmented up to 70%), and another one behind the back like in Gears of War when you aim by pressing the left trigger, and where you would be 100% precise.

This way you can retain the platformers roots of the 2D series.

Metroid Prime 1 has a 97 metacritic, Super Metroid would have been lucky to score in the 80s (even during it's time).

Last edited:

Tams

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is amazing and sold well for a sidescroller and a Wii U game.

So shut your cake hole OP.

blacktout

A good 3D Metroid could have made the console more appealing to core gamers.

How many additional Wii Us do you think a Prime sequel would have sold? This is a series that had only sold a couple million copies on a good day. Even if by some miracle those two million people all passed on the Wii U and all would have bought it if Retro had made Prime 4 instead of Tropical Freeze ... that's fucking nothing. The system would still have been a huge failure.

No, I'm glad they "took the easy way out" and made one of the greatest 2D platformers of all time instead.

Astral Dog

I don't get it, the article sounds fairly positive but op is just shitting on Retro.

look, im a big Metroid fan, but DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze are fucking rad games, to think making a 2D platformer of that quality is easy its just dumb, we didn't see more Metroid at the time because Nintendo's own ambitious Other M project burned them, had it been a success, more Metroid projects in that style would have been greenlighted.

Miyamoto was looking to make a new Donkey Kong Country at the time, and he handpicked Retro Studios because they were the BEST , and had just finished their Prime trilogy so they were available for a new project, simple as that, it was a big hit, so a sequel was inevitable and just made sense.

i believe Nintendo has nothing but goodwill for Metroid, and they have been looking to revive the Prime series and the 2D line all this time, but sometimes these projects take years to materialize, and sometimes things can go off the path and they have to reboot development, shit happens, but they are trying to release the best quality possible to their fans.

Personally i hope to see a brand new Donkey Kong game soon,its been so long since the last one even if its not developed by Retro Studios, its a cool series that deserves new games

Last edited:
Top Bottom