• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember ENDER's GAME, well Twilight Producers Have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BruceLeeRoy said:
How did this go from being in the hands of James Cameron, Steven Spielberg and now Summit. Uhhhhh today is off to a great start.

This was never in the hands of Cameron or Spielberg.

This will be a terrible adaptation of my favourite book. Gavin Hood is going to earn a lot of scorn from me in the coming years.

Done by the right director it could be a brilliant film. Done like this it will kill any chance of us seeing the novel's true potential.

curiouswitch

Neo Member
My first instinct is to say that this is going to be terrible.

On that same note.. I also once though Heath Ledger was going to be a terrible Joker (when first announced). There is no romance in this book for them to even try to spin it into a teenie crap movie. I'd be more concerned about who wrote the script....

curiouswitch said:
My first instinct is to say that this is going to be terrible.

On that same note.. I also once though Heath Ledger was going to be a terrible Joker (when first announced). There is no romance in this book for them to even try to spin it into a teenie crap movie. I'd be more concerned about who wrote the script....

Gavin Hood wrote and will be directing. His last studio film was WOLVERINE. -_-

Scullibundo said:
Gavin Hood wrote and will be directing. His last studio film was WOLVERINE. -_-

Wolverine is the worst supercomic movie adaptation ever, even if it had quite the competition right there.

Shit, is going to SUUUUUCK so much, a shame I loved the book.

Who are the 'major' child actors these day? I can't think of one let alone an entire cast. They'd definitely ruin Bean
Someone like Ghibli should get the rights.

Cyan

Banned
Apple Sauce said:
Who are the 'major' child actors these day? I can't think of one let alone an entire cast. They'd definitely ruin Bean
Someone like Ghibli should get the rights.
Goddamn, that would be so much better.

And I don't even like anime.

Morn said:
He didn't write Wolverine.

What's your point? He hasn't got enough pull as director to adapt Ender's Game faithfully, especially when the studio fronting the bill wants to market it as another teenage series. He's also not a very good director, Tsotsi or otherwise.

Cyan said:
Goddamn, that would be so much better.

And I don't even like anime.

Fuck that shit, man.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ender's Game is quite literally the perfect fit for Spielberg. Here's a quote from another thread where I posted my idea.

Scullibundo said:
Ender's Game.

Director: Steven Spielberg.

The biggest problem plaguing Ender's Game as an adaptation is obviously the need of child-actors who are anything but child-like in their range as actors. There is also the problem that the story is supposed to take place over roughly 7 years, which would normally invite a huge bout of change from a 6 year old Ender Wiggin. Add the headache of trying to represent a character like Bean faithfully and having children getting into naked shower fights and I believe that the ideal route would to be to go the Tintin route. This is why - on top of Ender's Game being an amalgamation of Spielberg's strengths (Child-centric, morally ambiguous, sci-fi, military) - he would be the perfect man for the job.

So it could be perf-capped, like Tintin, like Avatar. Imagine being able to have a troupe of adult actors able to play the kids in Battle School. And their ages could be tweaked according to the story, rather than feel like Battle School takes place over the course of a week, you could see the changes.

And 3D. Yes, I know 3D gets bad buzz right now. But more than the perf-cap tech being perfect for it, the material is. If you go back to my very first impressions after getting home from Avatar, you'll notice that the moment the movie blew my mind was when Jake woke up in the cryo-bay and I saw the depth of the chamber as the med-techs drifted around in null-G. A part of me knew right then that the Battle Room was destined to be seen in 3D.

A couple of weeks ago I had also had a conversation with a friend of mine as to who on Earth could play Col. Graff. I had somebody like Geoffrey Rush in mind (based on how he played his character Ephraim in Munich), but still wasn't sure. Then my friend suggested Tom Hanks and - thinking of something in between his performances of Captain Miller and more so Carl Handratty (also Spielberg films), I realized that to me, Hanks is a perfect fit for Col. Graff.

Obviously I would prefer an R rating given the material, but knowing how Spielberg can stretch - or rather, creatively construct a dark PG13 film like WotW or Minority Report, I could accept a PG13 from him.

Add Williams to score obviously and get Januz to supervise the lighting techs and we've got ourselves a movie. Just keep OSC away from the script because whilst he has an absolute mastery over prose narrative form, if you've ever seen him discuss films or read the few pages released from his initial first draft of the screenplay for Ender's Game, you'll know he can't be trusted.

Scullibundo said:
Fuck that shit, man.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ender's Game is quite literally the perfect fit for Spielberg. Here's a quote from another thread where I posted my idea.

Sorry Sculi, but Hanks as Graff?

Naaaaah thank you.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I have little faith in this, and I'd prefer for Orson Scott Card not to get more money. So let's just not, and say we did.

That said, I could be more or less persuaded by Scullibundo's ideas. Just lose the 3D. And I'm not yet sold on performance capture as a primary filmmaking tool.

I tend to imagine it as an anime actually.

Sigmond

They're definitely going to up the characters' ages, not just for the sake of attracting a teenage audience, but because having almost the whole cast be played by <12 year olds just doesn't seem feasible at all (and Ender is even younger than that, as is Bean). They'll have to fiddle with the script quite a bit (for instance, Peter and Valentine taking over the world via internet message boards can and should be cut entirely), but that's all right, as long as they don't introduce romantic elements or anything like that.

The two major challenges, I think, are casting a convincing Ender, and making the Zero Gravity scenes work. If they can do that, they might just make a good adaptation.

Snaku

Banned
Well there's really no fucking way they can adapt this into a Twilight-esque film. It's just impossible.

StormyTheRabbit said:
Sorry Sculi, but Hanks as Graff?

Naaaaah thank you.

Just stew on it and think of Hanks as he was in Catch Me If You Can.

Dan: I think Cameron's (and now Spielberg and Jackson's) method of perf-cap would work really well for this. You could literally have somebody like DDL play Ender and have him still look 6 years old and age him accordingly.

The 3D is obviously not a personal choice, but ever since the opening to avatar where all the med-techs were floating around the cryo-bay, I've wanted to see the battle room in 3D.

My guess is that most of the Ender's Game haters have never actually read the book and instead judge its quality based on Orson Scott Card's idiotic rants.

Cyan

Banned
Scullibundo said:
My guess is that most of the Ender's Game haters have never actually read the book and instead judge its quality based on Orson Scott Card's idiotic rants.
Ah, of course. Makes sense.

yeah count me among those who hope this movie never gets made. It just won't work at as a movie there's way too much introspection and I can't imagine a child actor pulling it off. Plus the special effects would have to be Avatar-ish to pull off some of the scenes in the book

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Scullibundo said:

Either that, or they let the awesomeness of the original get tainted by the so-so to terrible quality of the endless sequels/side stories. It doesn't take very long to get sick of OSC's irritating writing style.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Scullibundo said:
Dan: I think Cameron's (and now Spielberg and Jackson's) method of perf-cap would work really well for this. You could literally have somebody like DDL play Ender and have him still look 6 years old and age him accordingly.
Tintin will be a big test for me. I'll see how that goes. Even then, I doubt I'll be convinced that it's better than true animation, outside of letting live-action directors get into the game.

I read the first 3.25 books. Dug the first, liked the second, trudged through the third, and gave up on the fourth when I realized it was 90% Mormon proselytizing. My hatred of OSC as a person is certainly a stain on what I actually read read of his and enjoyed. I have a hard time distancing him from his work considering how much his beliefs started impacting the stories.

Thaedolus said:
Either that, or they let the awesomeness of the original get tainted by the so-so to terrible quality of the endless sequels/side stories. It doesn't take very long to get sick of OSC's irritating writing style.

Speaker For The Dead was a better book than Ender's Game in my own opinion. But don't get me wrong, I LOVED Ender's Game.

Trent Strong said:
It's a million times better than any of the Harry Potter books. Not that that's saying much.

Ok back off bitch 0.o

I am a massive Enders Game fan....but no one bashes Harry Potter on my watch.

Dan said:
Tintin will be a big test for me. I'll see how that goes. Even then, I doubt I'll be convinced that it's better than true animation, outside of letting live-action directors get into the game.

I read the first 3.25 books. Dug the first, liked the second, trudged through the third, and gave up on the fourth when I realized it was 90% Mormon proselytizing. My hatred of OSC as a person is certainly a stain on what I actually read read of his and enjoyed. I have a hard time distancing him from his work considering how much his beliefs started impacting the stories.

Yeah Tintin will be a big test.

As for his Mormon beliefs impacting his stories, well that is absolutely true - but that doesn't ruin the stories for me. Hell, I even enjoyed his Homecoming series which is spun off of the Mormon books (which I didn't find out till later). They're still great Sci-fi stories, regardless of their inspiration.

Speaker for the Dead is a brilliant book and Xenocide is great as well. I recently revisited Children of the Mind and now think its alright, where as I used to dislike it a lot.

As for the Bean saga - I enjoyed them quite a bit, but the books don't hold a candle to the Ender saga.

RickA238

Fuck that shit. Why do they need to try and spoil one of the best books I've ever read with stupid live actors. While we're at it, fuck Twilight even though I haven't watched one second of the movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom