• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET Rumor: Hackers Planning Third Attack Against Sony, Publicizing Data

Hey guys, I have an idea. Let's refer to hacking console firmware as "modding", get it legitimised by the DMCA, and then you guys can go ahead with your bizarre totalitarian plans to push for censorship of the word "hacker" on GAF, and the rest of us can get on with our lives without having to listen to your asinine equivalence arguments.

"A group of hackers says it is planning another wave of cyberattacks against Sony in retaliation for its handling of the PlayStation Network breach."

Oh really? That makes sense. Carry on, then, with your stealing/and or fanboy attacks.

X26 said:
I don't even have a PSN account or a PS3 for that matter and all I can say regarding your posts is: shut the the fuck up you stupid weeaboo motherfucker

can only imagine what someone who acutally uses the service thinks when reading your garbage

Listen up you zit faced cocksucker, you can talk all that shit you want behind a computer. I swear that if you said that to my face, then you would have Timbaland footprints all over your forehand.

Eat a dick straight up.

Huff

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Don't they both boil down to blaming a whole group for the actions of a small few?

I, technically, am a hacker as I have CFW on my PSP and Wii and have modded games before. Not all hackers hack databases and steal information and CC numbers. Criminals do. You can be a criminal and a hacker but you don't have to be a criminal to be a hacker.

I understand this. And I am not personally blaming all hackers/CFW users for the PSN shutdown.

But you do understand that while the actual action of blaming many because of a few is true, the level and severity of the two different group judgments are so different, that the comparison is laughable, right?

To someone that doesn't have much knowledge into the "hacking scene", blaming all hackers for the PSN problems is so much more reasonable and likely than someone blaming all blacks for one black kid stealing their son's bike.

Shin Dynamo X said:
Listen up you zit faced cocksucker, you can talk all that shit you want behind a computer. I swear that if you said that to my face, then you would have Timbaland footprints all over your forehand.

Ironic.

The Faceless Master said:
then you have nothing to say to me.

I know now.

BroHuffman said:
You honestly believe that blaming all Africans for the action of a group of Africans is on the same level of hating/blaming all hackers because of the action of a group of hackers?

If you honestly do, then I have nothing to say to convince you otherwise.
then you have nothing to say to me.

Shin Dynamo X said:

Eat a dick straight up.
Ban coming in 3.....2.......1

onQ123

Shin Dynamo X said:

Eat a dick straight up.

calm-down.jpg

Stitch

Gold Member
aaww man why have i always ignored the PSN hack threads!?

they are filled with rage, tears and epic lulz :D

IonicSnake said:
How can they have access to the severs if they are offline?
well, technically, they could be online, just not available to the general public. since the PSN will require a new firmware to connect, there could be a totally redesigned connection method and the new firmware hasn't been deployed yet, meaning current consoles would have no way to know the PSN is 'online' and have no way to connect while Sony continues their preparations and testing.

but more than likely, it's just cnet being cnet.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Shin Dynamo X said:

Eat a dick straight up.

Just got done reading the thread, and wow. People getting really pissed. You dont see people going off like that often on GAF.

This story smells like bullshit anyway, though we never know for sure until it actually happens.

NeededSleep

All i wanted to do was transfer my PS3/PSN games to my psp before i leave for vacation... :( I really wanted to play Legend of Mana on the flight.

Too bad i leave tomorrow, doubt it will even be back up if things like this are going to keep happening.

onQ123

can't speak for the other guy, but i've been on GAF before anonymous even existed

because you created them , you're their Master, I cracked the code I hacked the hacker

well, technically, they could be online, just not available to the general public. since the PSN will require a new firmware to connect, there could be a totally redesigned connection method and the new firmware hasn't been deployed yet, meaning current consoles would have no way to know the PSN is 'online' and have no way to connect while Sony continues their preparations and testing.

but more than likely, it's just cnet being cnet.
Dude, just tell your freinds stop fucking with sony so they can put PSN back online. Please? Shit man.

larvi

IonicSnake said:

They didn't specifically say the PSN servers, I read it as other Sony servers. I.e. Sony.com is still up and running as is the Sonyshop servers.

Dai101

Banned
Shin Dynamo X said:

Eat a dick straight up.

scarjo_popcorn.gif

Amir0x

Banned
X26 and Shin Dynamo X, you guys just don't read the terms of service altogether. Don't insult other users. X26, you should know better. Long ban for you.

Shin Dynamo X, you won't get a chance to know better. Junior cull.

Smision said:
And this is why Sony is getting attacked and other networks haven't been this compromised.

this kind of shit is blood in the water for hackers. I hate to say "she was asking for it" but goddamn.

You guys are so staunch about defending Sony when they didn't fucking defend you!

Do people read what they using as a jumping point?

Spafford testified security experts discovered discussions on forums that talked about how the PSN's security was lacking.

He isn't speaking about what he knows in that particular quote. He is passing along conclusions that others have arrived at. He himself stated.

I have no information about what protections they had in place, although some
news reports indicate that Sony was running software that was badly out of date, and had
been warned about that risk.

Transcript is here.

Shin Dynamo X said:

Eat a dick straight up.
mcafl3.jpg

Yagharek

I have this vague impression of whats going on in this hacking saga. As near as I can put it, this is whats happened:

Anon perform DDOS attacks in early-mid April
<Someone unknown does the data stealing>
Sony discover a security breach, PSN taken offline
Another new group threatens an attack (rumour)

The only issue of the main hack is whether it was Anon, or whether it was someone who opportunistically hacked Sony whilst Anon was doing their DDOS.

Is that a fair summary at a basic level?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Third attack?

Isn't the PSN + SOE attack just one all together (thus no second attack)?

Ashodin

What they're doing is absolutely despicable with the confidential information.

But I really think Sony deserves the blow to their ego/shock to their system.

Honestly, how can you have a huge corporation like that and NOT protect your assets? Absolutely moronic.

obonicus

RandomVince said:
Is that a fair summary at a basic level?

Mostly. You're grouping the SOE and SCE hacks, but that's probably correct anyway. Also, we don't know if a group actually threatened anyone or if CNET, say, received an IRC log that contained a threat by someone who said they belonged to some group.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
If this is true, I hate these stupid piece of $hit fuck*rtards even more.
Even worse, they try to justify it with some stupid reasoning, thinking that they are the white knights for everyone against these evil corporations or something. Get some life you losers.

ElRenoRaven

Holy crap. You go to take a shower and a junior now lays dead on the ground while another poster is now in a hospital bed.

I love bad analogies. lol

Yagharek

obonicus said:
Mostly. You're grouping the SOE and SCE hacks, but that's probably correct anyway. Also, we don't know if a group actually threatened anyone or if CNET, say, received an IRC log that contained a threat by someone who said they belonged to some group.

I grouped the SOE/PSN attacks since they seem to have done the same sort of damage, so perhaps it might be the same people involved. Thats just speculation on my part though so happy to be proven wrong in the course of time.

I guess the real worry for PSN users is if that even once PSN is switched back on, whats to say that other groups wont step in and try more ddos attacks or similar. Im just cynical enough to suggest we havent seen anywhere near the last of this.

Wow, Sony sure has made several glaring oversights when it came to the PS3. If there is indeed a third strike against them, I wonder what the long-term ramifications will be.

And while I can kind of understand showing Sony the weaknesses of the systems they have in place, this is hardly the way to go about it. Besides the fact that it is neither their responsibility nor right to do so, stealing and leaking personal information shows nothing but malicious intent. White-hat hacking is another matter and can be useful, but this is nothing short of criminal.

I just want to redeem my Portal 2 on Steam. :(

Dambrosi

Banned
kittoo said:
If this is true, I hate these stupid piece of $hit fuck*rtards even more.
Even worse, they try to justify it with some stupid reasoning, thinking that they are the white knights for everyone against these evil corporations or something. Get some life you losers.
Hey, Kittoo.

With the help of the MAGIC FAIRY DUST OF HATE.

X23, Shin Dynamo X:

1222662716303.jpg

I'll pour out a 40 for you both, brave Internet warriors.

28bw6ts.gif

Stupid hackers. Obviously the full reasons aren't known but if they think they're some "white knights" because they're taking down Sony their insane. Almost everyone wants to just play online and doesn't really care what Sony does with their security.

Necromanti said:
I just want to redeem my Portal 2 on Steam. :(

Yeah, didn't PSN go down that Tuesday? Really wish I didn't put it off. That may motivate me in the future to activate my codes when I get them.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
ChanDangle said:
Hackers need to stop effin with my fix man, PSN needs to come back and stay on.

My feelings as of right now.
k1qgw4.gif

Where's that GIF from?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shin Dynamo X said:

Eat a dick straight up.

ByeBye.gif

Top Bottom