• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET Rumor: Hackers Planning Third Attack Against Sony, Publicizing Data

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
uh oh

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20060227-260.html

Exclusive: Third attack against Sony planned
by Erica Ogg

Print

12 comments

A group of hackers says it is planning another wave of cyberattacks against Sony in retaliation for its handling of the PlayStation Network breach.

An observer of the Internet Relay Chat channel used by the hackers told CNET today that a third major attack is planned this weekend against Sony's Web site. The people involved plan to publicize all or some of the information they are able to copy from Sony's servers, which could include customer names, credit card numbers, and addresses, according to the source. The hackers claim they currently have access to some of Sony's servers.

Should the planned attack succeed, it would be the latest blow in a series of devastating security breaches of Sony's servers over the past month. The failure of Sony's server security has ignited investigations by the FBI, the Department of Justice, Congress, and the New York State Attorney General, a well as data security and privacy authorities in the U.K., Canada, and Taiwan.

Several weeks ago the hacker group known as Anonymous targeted several Sony Web sites, including Sony.com and SonyStyle.com, with a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack in retaliation for what its members saw as Sony's unfair legal action against hacker George Hotz. Two weeks ago Sony's PlayStation Network, along with its Qriocity service and Sony Online, were the target of an attack that exposed the personal information of more than 100 million Sony customers. Sony was forced to shut down PSN, Qriocity, and Sony Online, and is currently working to bring them back online after rebuilding the security of its servers.

Sony says it doesn't know who orchestrated what it's calling a "highly sophisticated, planned" attack, but it has dropped hints that the group Anonymous is involved. Kazuo Hirai, chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment, told a Congressional subcommittee in a letter yesterday that the intruders on its servers planted a file named "Anonymous" containing the statement "We are Legion," part of the group's tagline.

Anonymous issued a statement yesterday denying it was involved in the PSN breach. "While we are a distributed and decentralized group, our 'leadership' does not condone credit card theft," the statement said.

Now it seems the same group of hackers that was able to infiltrate the PSN servers is planning to hit back against Sony.

Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20060227-260.html#ixzz1LWmOpMjL

ElRenoRaven

ombz said:
This is ridiculous. These people should be arrested.

Yes they should. These groups like Annonymous say they don't want hurt the consumers but it sure seems that they do. Things like this really don't help their cause either. Granted it's a different group but still it makes all hackers look bad. Sadly I'll admit it has changed my perception of all hackers now and not for the better.

Kaze13

Really smart to make the public aware of this especially when Sony just hired a bunch of people to find and prosecute those responsible for these types of acts. Leads me to believe that this is just FUD. Never mind that it is anecdotal at best....bravo cnet.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Is this last attack because Sony pissed them off or because Sony's protection is still weak? Do they ever try to these mass attacks against MS?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Nice knowing you SONY.

I don't give a shit about the hackers at this point. It's god damned fucking embarrassing Sony has such a shitty network people can just plan this.

But again, I'll believe it when I see it.

If there is any legitimacy to this report at all...

Can't Sony bring every one of their IT employees in to monitor their server traffic manually, and pull the plug the second an unusual spike or series of spikes are spotted? Play them double overtime if you have to.

Given their current negative PR bottomless pit, it doesn't seem unreasonable. I mean, they can't really afford more bad news at the moment, can they?

There's no way to verify how credible this article is. It also claims Anonymous did their DDoS attacks because they felt Sony had acted wrongly against GeoHotz, when in fact they stated they did them because Sony got personal information on everybody who had visited his website and seen his YT videos.

All that said, I really hope this doesn't delay the relaunch and that it isn't hacked again once it's up.

Averon

flyinpiranha said:
I don't give a shit about the hackers at this point. It's god damned fucking embarrassing Sony has such a shitty network people can just plan this.

But again, I'll believe it when I see it.

It's all talk at this point. Though, it'll be pretty stupid to announce this to the world with the FBI involved.

godhandiscen said:
Is this last attack because Sony pissed them off or because Sony's protection is still weak? Do they ever try to these mass attacks against MS?

I recall DoS attacks against MS. Not sure if a hacker has even gotten some usefull data from MS>

GDGF

Soothsayer
damn!.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
Fucking scum.

... but if they succeed, Sony are also scum for still not having adequate security for customers' personal details.

Everyone is scum!

And the only innocent party, the customers, are crying over it.

Staticks

Banned
Even if this is true, as long as this attack is on servers separate from those for PSN (and PSN continues its resurrection on schedule) then I'll be just fine.

Attacks on "Sony's website." Which one(s)? Sonystyle.com? Sony.com?

androvsky

Dedication Through Light said:
How can they currently have access to the servers? Isnt PSN offline now?

Given this is third-hand info and how bad reporting on this story has been in general, who knows. I'd like to think the security firms and FBI set up some honeypots, but they can't go up too far ahead of the real servers or it'll be obvious what's going on.

Elios83

Considering that probably all the things related to Sony are now under control of security agencies both private and not (like FBI) this is clearly a stupid time to make an attack.
So well...........this could be further sensationalism from the press......

Riposte

Anonymous issued a statement yesterday denying it was involved in the PSN breach. "While we are a distributed and decentralized group, our 'leadership' does not condone credit card theft," the statement said.

Think about it CNET. The statement devalues the statement. Still seeing the phrase "Anonymous issued a statement..." makes me smirk. There is no leadership.

fernoca

Giriath_89 said:
when in fact they stated they did them because Sony got personal information on everybody who had visited his website and seen his YT videos.
Was that confirmed?
I know that Sony requested it..and I know a third-party got some info, to perform an investigation..and only to focus on the people living in California, not everybody.

But I'm outdated in that aspect, so don't know...

Top Bottom