• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steering Wheel-age (or why you should try rFactor)

mclaren777

I did a lot of extensive testing when I got my GTX 460 and found that rFactor actually does a great job of making itself look pretty.

If you're on Nvidia hardware just use the Level 5 AA preset and then crank the in-game settings up as high as your framerate will allow.

I also made this GIF...

HnB53.gif

1-D_FTW

Do you normally not use triple buffering? Or were just letting the framerate go that high for testing purposes?

I'm gonna have to compare later, but it really did seem like the Sparse Grid SSAA was a significant improvement.

mclaren777

I ran a bunch of side-by-side tests using many combinations but using L5 AA with 16x AF worked equally well as anything else and it allowed the frame rate to remain high. I normally run rFactor command-locked at 60fps so it only pushes my GPU about 50%.

TylerD

I have to dust the G25 and WSP off and start doing some sim racing again since I'm not doing any karting this year. Some of these rfactor mods look really good.

edit: F40 on Targa is pretty good ;)

mclaren777

New WIP shots of rFactor 2 and these still don't have the post-processing effects active yet. Apparently turning on the FX makes a big difference, but they aren't fully ready for the world to see.

yk34e.jpg

XxkvD.jpg

glp7L.jpg

rUMA5.jpg

Niks

mclaren777 said:
New WIP shots of rFactor 2 and these still don't have the post-processing effects active yet. Apparently turning on the FX makes a big difference, but they aren't fully ready for the world to see.

Indeed these screenshots dont look very good...
Why bother releasing these ones then? hmmm

Can anyone share DFGT settings for rFactor? If there are none, any guidelines/tips to set it up? Thanks.

mclaren777

Niks just reminded me that I promised you guys a must-play car/track list for rFactor. I will work on that over the next week or so but I wanted to share something with you now...

• Radical SR3 (with liveries)
• My favorite version of Imola

Download

p805c.jpg

rudii

mclaren777 said:

rUMA5.jpg

this looks pretty tasty to me.

big thanks for upping that Radical SR3. looks awesome

AcridMeat

Banned
NervousXtian said:
So, my old racing wheel is dead.

What's the word on what's good these days?

Wheels for people with a budget, the Driving Force GT is great. I just received mine in the mail a month or so ago and it's been great fun. If you've got money to spend the g27 or one of the Porsche Fanatic wheels.

Arucardo

mclaren777 said:
Niks just reminded me that I promised you guys a must-play car/track list for rFactor.
Very much looking forward to this. It's always a little bit intimidating to get tracks and cars for rF simply because there's so much to choose from.

EDIT: Downloading Targa Florio now, just gotta pick a car I want to do the lap in :) .

mclaren777

Arucardo said:
Downloading Targa Florio now, just gotta pick a car I want to do the lap in.
The Radical SR3 might be a good choice because the lap is so long (30+ minutes).

Just make sure to add enough fuel. ;)

1-D_FTW

Pretty sure Targa is the first game to ever take my 460 GTX VRAM to 1023/1024MB used.

Well, GTA IV can go higher with settings, but I'm talking in-game usage while playing.

TylerD

Arucardo said:
It's always a little bit intimidating to get tracks and cars for rF simply because there's so much to choose from.

EDIT: Downloading Targa Florio now, just gotta pick a car I want to do the lap in :) .

I have about 40 zip files i need to extract to my rF directory after one night of crazed downloading over the weekend. I have dirt ovals with late models and midgits, rally trails and offroad courses with lots of Subies and classic rally cars, V8 Factor + Bathurst, endurance mod with classic Le Mans, a big rig mod, BRKart mod with Karting courses, etc etc etc.

There is a Monaco track for the 2011 F1 series that is really impressive. I did a 20 lap race with 30 Renault Clio Cup cars and had a safety car period after 3 cars crashed and stopped on track.

McLaren, do you use realfeel and do you change the settings depending on what you are running? I have just been using Leosmod (think that is what it is called) since last week and it helped me get a better feel for the grip of all 4 tyres but I haven't tried realfeel yet.

I woke up to reality when I realized that I had steering assistance on low. Once I turned that off, the difficulty and satisfaction skyrocketed. My favorite mod (997 UK Porsche Carrera Cup 09) is so much more fun when I am on the limit.

1-D_FTW

TylerD said:
I have about 40 zip files i need to extract to my rF directory after one night of crazed downloading over the weekend. I have dirt ovals with late models and midgits, rally trails and offroad courses with lots of Subies and classic rally cars, V8 Factor + Bathurst, endurance mod with classic Le Mans, a big rig mod, BRKart mod with Karting courses, etc etc etc.

There is a Monaco track for the 2011 F1 series that is really impressive. I did a 20 lap race with 30 Renault Clio Cup cars and had a safety car period after 3 cars crashed and stopped on track.

McLaren, do you use realfeel and do you change the settings depending on what you are running? I have just been using Leosmod (think that is what it is called) since last week and it helped me get a better feel for the grip of all 4 tyres but I haven't tried realfeel yet.

I woke up to reality when I realized that I had steering assistance on low. Once I turned that off, the difficulty and satisfaction skyrocketed. My favorite mod (997 UK Porsche Carrera Cup 09) is so much more fun when I am on the limit.

Sounds like me when I first got it. And let me tell you, I've got a back up of those files on a second partition and on another hard drive. I'm not going through that again:)

I do have my desktop litered with a bunch of downloads Mclaren has recommended. I really need to get all those bad boys in place.

For the time being, I blissfully ignore the rfactor folder that contains another 20 bookmarks I made for future reference.

mclaren777

TylerD said:
I actually prefer standard rFactor FFB over Real Feel or Leo's version, but I think I'm in the minority on that.

And Targa really is up there with the Nurgurgring in terms of epic drives!

PY2MQ.jpg

I've borrowed a Logitech G27 for some days now and really want to try it out, is rFactor the best simulator or is there any better out there?

1-D_FTW

I'm sure many would say ircacing is the best, but IMO the differences are small. And unlike iracing, where you have to pay a pretty heft price for any new content (cars or tracks), rfactor has the most DLC of any racing game out there. And it's all free.

iracing = Best online community. Maybe a slightly better driving model. Outrageously expensive if you want variety.

rfactor = More content than you'll ever dream of playing. Still a great driving model. One time purchase price.

mclaren777

I was just digging through some old e-mails and I stumbled upon something you guys might enjoy.

Back in early 2007 I organized a full season of racing on a website that I used to below to (you can read the official rules here). I even talked the author of the mod into adding two teams for us (BMW and Super Aguri) and fix an unexpected shadow issue later in the season.

I think you guys will enjoy these...

Download
Shadow Patch

2oOxi.jpg

mclaren777

2010 FIA GT3

List of cars:
- Alpina B6 GT3
- Aston Martin DBRS9
- Audi R8 LMS
- BMW Z4 GT3
- Corvette GT3
- Ford GT GT3
- Gallardo GT3
- Porsche 997 GT3 R

Download

layUn.png

mclaren777

If you want to be included in the crowd for rFactor 2, please shoot me a PM. I can probably still get you in even though the deadline has passed.

Info

dmi3p.jpg

mclaren777

mclaren777 said:
First look at tons of new models = I'M SO EXCITED!!

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/downloads/wallpaper/

JMG83.jpg

Tim Wheatley, community manager for ISI, just dropped this little nugget about that image...

[That's] definitely not all of them. But the Q&A did give some idea about which will [make initial release]. And that wallpaper didn't actually show all of them, there is content you guys don't know about yet which has actually been more fun for me to drive personally than anything else in 10 years.

Dommel

So I want to buy a racing wheel, read and watched a lot of reviews and I'm not sure which one to buy.

Fanatac has a great deal in which you get the Fanatec Carrera wheel -and- the Rennsport V2 wheelstand for €200.

Or i can buy the G27 for €249 but then I will still need a wheelstand, Ordering one of those separately is another €100 easily (inc. shipping etc).

I'm going to use it mainly for GT5 but I can see myself upgrading to iRacing or Rfactor2 when I'm done with GT5.

Is the G27 worth the extra money?

Would be nice to see a Lotus 7-style car, a BTCC-style car and maybe a Japanese drift monster on that wallpaper. Other than that, they seem to have most bases covered.

mclaren777

Dommel said:
Is the G27 worth the extra money?
I've never use a Fanatec wheel so it's hard for me to judge. I love my G27 and, from what I've heard, the two wheels are quite similar. You can't go wrong with either of them so it might be best to just let your budget decide.

mclaren777

Orgun said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgnxlWXs_CY&feature=player_embedded

I wants it but god damn that's expensive €400 for the base unit and €100-200 for the "rigs"
Even if I was wealthy I would have a hard time justifying that purchase given that the G27 is such a fantastic wheel.

And this recently appeared on ISI's Twitter feed...

"We're plugging in some of the 'effects' and 'post fx'. Media should start to look more representative of the final quality soon."

Niks

mclaren777 said:
Niks just reminded me that I promised you guys a must-play car/track list for rFactor. I will work on that over the next week or so but I wanted to share something with you now...

Just saw the thread being bumped.
Any updates on the list? Even a partial list would be golden.
Thanks again for taking the time to share it.

theRizzle

Just finished reading this thread while sitting in my office unable to do any work because my primary work computer is fried and am waiting on a replacement.

I think I've got the hunger... mostly for some online racing. How do the rFactor races work that you guys were talking about a page or two back? Are there only time trials? Is it possible to cheat? Like having a modified version of one of the mods? Will it allow you to enter/compete in the race if your mod doesn't match what everyone else is running?

Do any of you guys run a triple monitor setup? Or have something like the Fanatec wheel stand or cockpit?

mclaren777

rFactor has a great system for dealing with mismatches and I've never suspected anybody of cheating. Racing in pick-up servers can be annoying so I would recommend joining a league or Race2Play (you'll also get rF2 for free if you act fast).

And I have a Playseat for my G27 that I really like.

Hi guys, I bought a Logitech DriveFX for my son this morning (£3 at a car boot sale), seems to work fine but I didn't get a PSU with it, anyone know what one I need?

cheers.

1-D_FTW

drugstore_cowboy said:
Hi guys, I bought a Logitech DriveFX for my son this morning (£3 at a car boot sale), seems to work fine but I didn't get a PSU with it, anyone know what one I need?

cheers.

I wonder if it was sold because the FF didn't work.

Try and get somebody with that steering wheel to give you the model number of the power supply. My G27 is Asian Power Device DA-42H24 (Yes, it's a US model).

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=nsBsTpD1FYHAtgfG0aXhBQ&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAg

Would be easy enough to find a store on google, although kind of steep if it turns out FF is defective.

Thanks guys, just ordered one from HK, it was only £10 so no big deal if the ffb is dog and ducked.

I've managed to lose one of the plastic mounting bolts already though, I don't suppose any UK people who have hard mounted your Logitech wheels have one spare, do you? They appear to be the same size as my old MOMO and G25's but I'll edit with measurements later.

I can pop a couple of quid in the post to cover costs if so, pm me for details.

thanks again.

gwarm01

How big of a difference is there between something like the Driving Force GT and a Mad Catz MC2 Micro wheel? Before anyone starts, I know the Mad Catz wheel is a cheap piece of crap. However, I bought it because I wasn't willing to spend a lot of cash on something I might only play with once or twice.

Well, turns out I absolutely fell in love with playing with the racing wheel. What sort of improvements could I expect if I upgrade? Keep in mind that my wife would kill me if I spent the kind of money I'd need to get a G27.

Kyaw

gwarm01 said:
How big of a difference is there between something like the Driving Force GT and a Mad Catz MC2 Micro wheel? Before anyone starts, I know the Mad Catz wheel is a cheap piece of crap. However, I bought it because I wasn't willing to spend a lot of cash on something I might only play with once or twice.

Well, turns out I absolutely fell in love with playing with the racing wheel. What sort of improvements could I expect if I upgrade? Keep in mind that my wife would kill me if I spent the kind of money I'd need to get a G27.

It's kinda massive. Driving Force GT will have much better force feedback compared to vibration/rumble and center spring only Mad Catz wheel. Then there's the 900 degrees of rotation in DFGT compared to 270. The DFGT wheel will be physically bigger as well.

There's also the tuning knob on DFGT that gives you quite an advantage over those who doesn't have one. (lets you change brake bias in GT5 among other things)

1-D_FTW

gwarm01 said:

gwarm01 said:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=147614&t=3290264

How much of a price difference is there, anyways? Logitech is giving away 50 percent off coupons if you follow the directions in the Slickdeals thread. That's 74.99 + free shipping.

Honestly, doing a quick google of that Mad Catz wheel, I wouldn't take it for free. I'm not being mean, just saying these things take some space up and it's not worth the hassle and inconvenience for a product of such low quality. For something like that, I'd just recommend using a 360 controller if you couldn't swing the 75 dollars for the Force GT.

gwarm01

That's why I'm so interested in buying a nice wheel. If I'm having this much fun with the PoS wheel, I'd imagine a good one would be amazing. It's just a shame that there aren't many options for 360 and PS3, not to mention I can't seem to find a single 360 wheel on Amazon.

theRizzle

If anyone in Canada is looking for a G27, Amazon.ca is selling them for $280 bucks right now, and obviously it qualifies for free shipping. I know that isn't a fantastic deal, but it's much better than the $349 ($310 on sale right now) at Newegg or $369.99 at Futureshop.

Is anyone here using the T500 RS on a wheelstand, ideally the RennSport?

I'm wondering how it holds up to the strength of forces and weight of the wheel itself.

mclaren777

drugstore_cowboy said:
Is anyone here using the T500 RS on a wheelstand, ideally the RennSport?

I'm wondering how it holds up to the strength of forces and weight of the wheel itself.
Are you planning to get a T500 RS? Because I can think of better ways to spend your money.

Top Bottom