• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steering Wheel-age (or why you should try rFactor)

mclaren777

dubc35 said:
If I buy it now would I be able to download it again, or should I wait until I reinstall?
You have five license renewals and if you run out you can e-mail them to get five more. You can also "physically" backup your license file and then restore it on the fresh OS.

What kind of hardware are you running on?

dubc35

Cool, thanks for the info. My setup is:

Sony Vaio laptop
Win XP
Core 2 Duo P8400 @2.26GHz
3GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 9300M GS

GTR2 runs pretty well and the rFactor demo ran pretty well. I think you mentioned previously in this thread that the demo is an older version though. I downloaded the one from Fan Gaming (via rFactor website) that is v1255.

Orgun

Oh man, I played so much Race07 this weekend :) Touring cars are fun to drive online.

Haven't actually put that much time into rfactor yet, I just keep on downloading mods :)

1-D_FTW

AcridMeat said:
After playing a good deal of Race 07 today (and a F1 mod for it), how does rFactor play with a 360 pad? Is it worth it? I'm not bad in 07 with it.

I'm not sure how good the public demo is, but you could give it a try and at least test the handling. I wouldn't judge anything else, but you could see how well you could control the car.

dubc35 said:
I tried rFactor a while back and wasn't too impressed (the demo). Currently downloading again to try it out. I've been playing a lot of GTR2 lately so it should mesh well. I'm not sure if my laptop will be able to handle all the delicious mods though (it can't run the GTR2 Le Mans mod, not sure how it compares in size/reqs to some of the RF mods though).

Even with mods, it's incredibly easy on the system. The only plug-in I've had issue with is the on-screen map. It would send my GTX 460 into overdrive and totally corrupt some tracks. Seemed like there were quite a few users with 460s that had this issue. Not sure if it's specific to that card, Nvidia, driver, etc. But that was just a broken plug-in. Everything else is ridiculously low resource. I play at 1080P, triple buffered locked at 60fps, AA/AF cranked in the NVidia settings, and my GTX 460 still only runs at mid (DVD) voltage. Doesn't need to run at gaming clocks.

mclaren777

1-D_FTW said:
I play at 1080P, triple buffered locked at 60fps, AA/AF cranked in the NVidia settings, and my GTX 460 still only runs at mid (DVD) voltage. Doesn't need to run at gaming clocks.
Same here. GTX 460 at stock settings, 1080p, locked 60fps, everything cranked, and a 24-car field only uses 25-50% of my GPU's available power.

And I have some advice for new rFactor players: you should have a go-to track for testing new vehicle mods and a go-to car for testing new track mods.

My go-to car is the Radical SR3 and my go-to track is Toban with updated textures, which you can download here.

p805c.jpg

Orgun

Is multiplayer in rfactor just broken or what? Tried to join several servers in the browser and nothing, I made a server and Stop It couldn't see it. I added Stop It to my friends list, he made a server and couldn't see it. Or is there a mod to fix all this as well? :)

mclaren777

I just stumbled upon an amazing track that's currently in development. Apparently it'll be at least 60km long when it's finished and he hasn't even started work on vegetation or trackside objects yet but I think it looks stunning!

BLHAg.jpg

IMACOMPUTA

mclaren777 said:
I just stumbled upon an amazing track that's currently in development. Apparently it'll be at least 60km long when it's finished and he hasn't even started work on vegetation or trackside objects yet but I think it looks stunning!

This is beautiful!!

AcridMeat

Banned
mclaren777 said:
Holy fu-road
They need to release it like that, gorgeous.
Orgun said:
I'm supposed to be working but all I can think about is getting home, opening those ports and playing some multiplayer rfactor.
It's because it's 3am, but you can guess where my mind went with this. I was a bit disappointed when the sentence ended in rfactor.

mclaren777

Orgun said:
Bathurst Legends 1972 on Troyton raceway, a car type i've never driven and a track ive never drove on = crash crash crash
What a fascinating circuit. Perhaps I'll jump online tomorrow and give it a shot. How are the Bathurst Legends cars?

dCQtk.jpg

Orgun said:
Just discovered the rFactor community server, I didn't have the correct mods so it just downloaded and installed them for me :) Also...Bathurst Legends 1972 on Troyton raceway, a car type i've never driven and a track ive never drove on = crash crash crash hehe

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/community_server/
simraceway.com used to be pretty cool, almost a bit like iracing. different races every week or so. not sure how it is now, been a while since I played on there. but probably worth checking out. they have a pay service, but there should be free races as well. not sure if the client that download all mod/setting requirements per race is on there still, it seemed like that stuff got incorporated into rfactorcentral.

mclaren777 said:
Simraceway is a pariah among many modders and fans. You can read more at the link below.
yeah, I know. this is the reason why the 1 click install stuff was moved to rfactorcentral from simraceway and rfactorcentral was never shut down anyway. but there used to be some good competition on there, it's worth checking out to see what it's like these days.

mclaren777

Haha!

I signed up for the American version of that series earlier tonight so it'll be interesting to compare notes when we're done. ;)

I'm also planning to compete in this rF3 series --> link

Orgun

mclaren777 said:
Haha!

I signed up for the American version of that series earlier tonight so it'll be interesting to compare notes when we're done. ;)

I'm also planning to compete in this rF3 series --> link

I've got to head out but maybe you can help me. I''ve been going over the site and can't find any information on how to connect and what server to connect to for the race. Nevermind I figured it out :)

edit: I'll probably end up signing up for that rF3 series also, if I don't cause too many accidents today heh.

Orgun

Son of a bitch! I qualified 14th out of 17 and was up to 12th when...the game froze! I had to go to the task manager and back but by then my rear wing was gone.
I limped back to the pits for a 34 seconds pit stop while I was lapped by the entire field and even after the repair my car was listing to the left, retired early. No sense in being a mobile checane with a list to the left :)

Watching the race from the pits now, Stop It is up to 13th.

mclaren777

I'm sorry to hear that things didn't work out well for you, Orgun.

I just spent some time working on a setup for my race tonight and I can turn a 1:25.0 with 30L of fuel on board so hopefully I can finish in the top five.

iqqjN.png

mclaren777

One hour to go and I have everything set up and ready to rock (including custom skins). It has been four years since I last participated in an rFactor league.

Wish me luck!

UOC2Q.jpg

Orgun

mclaren777 said:
I'm sorry to hear that things didn't work out well for you, Orgun.

I just spent some time working on a setup for my race tonight and I can turn a 1:25.0 with 30L of fuel on board so hopefully I can finish in the top five.

http://i.imgur.com/iqqjN.png

Hope it went well for ya! The fastest time I could manage in practice/quali was a 1:27.0.

Even though I crashed out early on I really enjoyed watching the rest of the race, there was a really close battle between 3rd and 4th for pretty much the entire race.

Going to sign up for some more events this evening I think.

Orgun

AcridMeat said:
We should try to get in on some Race 07 ones.

I'm definitely going to sign up for a couple Touring car races, just need to find one that is open and at a good time.

justin.au

I played the shit out of this wonderful game last year and sort of burnt myself out on racing games. I've played iRacing as well, and although I would have to say iRacing's physics and tracks are superior, rFactor isn't too far behind (and the costs of iRacing are pretty prohibitive).

V8Factor was my favourite mod. Loved fanging it round Bathurst. I liked the comprehensiveness of the CTDP F1 2006 mod as well, but the F1s were just beyond my ability.

Can't wait for rFactor 2 to come out. A couple more, higher quality default maps would be my wishlist for #2.

1-D_FTW

justin.au said:
I played the shit out of this wonderful game last year and sort of burnt myself out on racing games. I've played iRacing as well, and although I would have to say iRacing's physics and tracks are superior, rFactor isn't too far behind (and the costs of iRacing are pretty prohibitive).

V8Factor was my favourite mod. Loved fanging it round Bathurst. I liked the comprehensiveness of the CTDP F1 2006 mod as well, but the F1s were just beyond my ability.

Can't wait for rFactor 2 to come out. A couple more, higher quality default maps would be my wishlist for #2.

That was my issue. I just couldn't psyche myself up to get out of the beginner bracket when it meant I'd have to buy new cars and tracks. Killed all incentive for me. It's a hard grind and that's the incentive? Pass.

mclaren777

My race last night didn't go quite to plan. I finished third, but I really should have finished second. I was consistently turning 1:25.0-1:25.2 in practice on full fuel but I never got near that during the race. I almost suspect that I forgot to load the car setup I had been working on. Regardless, it was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to the next event.

I just hope I show up in time to qualify--last night I didn't.

Composite video of best laps
Full details of the entire event

Orgun

Cool tool, i'll have to have a play with that on the weekend.

Looks like i'm going to resub to iRacing! Just received an offer of $10 for 3 months.

mclaren777

I asked the guys at ISI about the four images below and whether rF2 will look much better when it's finally released. The response I got is also included below.

Y38F7.jpg

W6wVL.jpg

1Lhhf.jpg

IhoSF.jpg

Scott Juliano said:
Well, the vegetation textures have received another pass and look much better, our poly usage is strong, and much of the temporary textures have been replaced. I think once we have our final post fx in place we will look current. If you've seen some of the other recent games with post fx turned off, where it is only base art and lighting being looked at, they look pretty plain, too.

So yes, I think we'll look better than what you see in those early screens.

With such a small art team (Luc doing textures and some props and myself doing the modeling, object placement, etc) you have to work in passes. We can't work a track from start to finish in one go for two reasons:

1) If Gjon says it's time to ship we have to have content. If we worked a track from start to finish then we may end up with two GREAT looking tracks and that's it--not cool. So, we work all the tracks up to a certain level, and if we have time, we work them up to the next level, and so on. I'd rather have several decent looking tracks at release that can be updated as opposed to only one or two completely finished tracks.

2) We are STILL adding new features to the graphics engine, so we couldn't completely finish a track completely yet even if we wanted to.

Anyway, I have to admit, once you're in and racing the visuals just seem to become secondary anyway--you are so focused on racing, caring for the tires, watching the weather, etc., that you don't have time to find flaws. I'm not saying this is an excuse so we can produce mediocre tracks, which is why we are doing pass after pass to make them look as good as possible, but it does play into our hands that we could maybe let slip a few glitz things that we want to put in and add them later if we feel that it's time to ship the product. If that makes sense... It does to me anyway.

mclaren777

There are still a few slots available in the upcoming rF3 race at Shanghai if any of you are interested.

-> Sign up here <-

I just spent 90 minutes working on a setup that allows me to run 2:02.25 on 30L of fuel. It still needs some more work because the rear end becomes less stable as the tires warm, but I'll probably share it with you guys tomorrow.

V02R2.jpg

Orgun

mclaren777 said:
There are still a few slots available in the upcoming rF3 race at Shanghai if any of you are interested.

-> Sign up here <-

I just spent 90 minutes working on a setup that allows me to run 2:02.25 on 30L of fuel. It still needs some more work because the rear end becomes less stable as the tires warm, but I'll probably share it with you guys tomorrow.

http://i.imgur.com/V02R2.jpg

Ah shit, just realised i'm going to be at a tennis tournament when the race starts, i'll have to unsign :( I was looking forward to that too.

mclaren777

The DRM Team has just released its Revival mod, bringing some of the most spectacular Group 5 sports cars to rFactor.

The mod includes:
- Porsche 935
- BMW 320
- Lancia Beta Monte Carlo
- Ford Capri
- BMW M1

Every car model comes with unique physics and the cars feature plenty of historic liveries with matching sounds.

Download

ntJNR.jpg

Bulk_Rate

Joseph Merrick said:
looks fantastic

IS fantastic, been playing it all afternoon.

Capri and M1 engine sound (once the oil is warmed up, heh) from 7000 to redline should be considered a controlled substance.

Awesome mod, strikes a great balance between drivability and hard-core, while offering distinct differences between the various cars.

This mod is a particular treat for Children of the 80's like yours truly. Flares, turbos, wings - invented and perfected in the 70's and 80's yo! Take that Fast n Furious kiddies!

Back to Sebring I go, the 935 is calling me.

mclaren777

mclaren777 said:
I just realized that I never gave an update on how my rF3 race at Shanghai turned out...

These cars are notoriously twitchy but the race wasn't as chaotic as I was expecting. I lost three positions on the opening lap due to someone spinning in front of me but I made them all back up in short order. I then got into a battle with the guy in sixth place and accidentally clipped a kerb after making a successful pass on him. I spun harmlessly and then spent the rest of the race fruitlessly trying to get that position back. Overall it was a lot of fun, though I really don't like the layout at Shanghai.

Video

Top Bottom