• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steering Wheel-age (or why you should try rFactor)

mclaren777

New screenshot of rFactor 2 and a work-in-progress video of classic Spa...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohSJGipTO-I

uq6Vn.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Looks like rFactor's on sale at Amazon right now for $20, I'm assuming related to Black Friday.

1-D_FTW

No. That's their normal price. Gogamer also has it for 19.99 incase anyone is ever ordering a bunch of discount games and wants another title to bump up to free Priority upgrade.

Nice bump though. I finally got my copy on Wednesday and am going through this thread open tabbing everything that looks interesting.:lol

EDIT: I really don't understand Rfactor Central's download policy. They say you're limited to 3 fast downloads with a free account, then have to use public. But after using my 3, download options are voided and they take me to the sign up for $$ page.

How assine. Just create a new account and reset the download count to 0. What's the point of this charade?

The way everyone makes you join crap for their downloads is really annoying. Definitely be making a backup of all my downloads when done because I am not doing this again.

1-D_FTW

As somebody earlier in the thread said, this thing really is the Linux of racers. I went through a 2 hour period where I don't think I had a single thing go right.

And then I finally got my G27 working correctly again (can't get the LED mod to work) and driving the F1 1969 mod with realfeel steering and no driver aids is, well, :D .

1-D_FTW

Because he couldn't help himself with GT 5. He got banned two weeks and immediately went right back at it. In hindsight, he probably had a lot of good points, but he couldn't just ignore it.

And let me say: The Ring, G27, and real feel is a religious experience. The way you just let those banks guide you through is incredible. I was fighting the course at first. But once I went zen, I saw the light. Amazing. To say that course is genius is an understatement. Never understood it till I felt those banks like I do in this game.

LCfiner

drugstore_cowboy said:
Do you guys reckon it's worth ditching my G25 and MS wireless wheel to get Fanatec's GT2 Clubsport Edition? I could get around £300 for both on ebay at the moment.

Is there anything the Logitech does better?

I say do it. the G27 is great but the MS wheel pales in comparison so it's hindering your future FM4 enjoyment :)

G27 has a better H shifter than the fanatec but the fanatec has the better pedals (since you're going for the real deal clubsports), the better ffb mechanism (quieter, smoother) and, of course, the cross compatibility with the 360. oh, and as a personal preference, i like how the d-pad and main buttons are on the wheel and not the shifter module.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LCfiner said:
I say do it. the G27 is great but the MS wheel pales in comparison so it's hindering your future FM4 enjoyment :)

G27 has a better H shifter than the fanatec but the fanatec has the better pedals (since you're going for the real deal clubsports), the better ffb mechanism (quieter, smoother) and, of course, the cross compatibility with the 360. oh, and as a personal preference, i like how the d-pad and main buttons are on the wheel and not the shifter module.
Don't forget that Fanatec is planning a clubsport shifter, which will likely be a lot better than any stock shifter options that come with any other wheel. Would likely be pricier, of course.

1-D_FTW

Definitely wish the d-pad was on the G27 wheel. In a game like F1 2010, where you have to use the d-pad to call for pit instructions, it's a massive PITA if you use manual transmission. When you need to call for rain tires, your only hope is to start issuing orders at the start of a long straightway. And even then, you have to switch the shifter to the left side or else you can't issue orders and upshift.

mclaren777

I know this information is six weeks old now but I wanted to make sure that it still got posted in here.

Video of heat haze

MnK7O.jpg

wIQPO.jpg

We've started making the last pass on the tracks, which involves up-sizing textures when and where we can–where it makes sense to do so–as well as adding little pieces of glitz art. Do remember, we are trying to simulate large grids at good frame rates across a variety of machines–even with graphic options there still has to be give and take. There really is only so much GPU and CPU bandwidth to go around.

I also just finished reworking all the car/terrain reaction VFX. If you recall in rF1, our particles weren't bad but they weren't great either. The programmers have added some elements so we can control particles better. We can now get gravel kicking up and falling back to the ground as you traverse over a sandtrap, or grass and chunks of dirt that get kicked up when you spin the tires while offroad. All the skid marks have had a makeover, as well as dust and various smoke. Oh, and our fire now looks like fire should.

I've also created particles for new features that hopefully can be added before we release. If not, they are there for us to implement in post-release updates.

I also just finished adding animated team members to the pit area on one of our tracks as a test to see if it's worth it. These include some guys standing around talking, as well as people sitting at the telemetry stations going about their business. These aren't really meant to directly interact with the cars–they're just there to give the pit lane some life. For a first pass, it actually does what I intended–the pit lane doesn't look like a barren wasteland devoid of people any more. Obviously we can't have hundreds of crew members walking around but it's far better than none at all.

Luc has been doing some work on an rF1 track "update" that should be included with rF2 in what we're calling the "mod" section. The purpose of this track is to show you how any rF1 track might look with just enough work done to it to get it running in rF2. And he's roughing out some documentation of the procedures involved (which we will expand on post-release). The idea is to show you that it will take some work to get an rF1 track up and running, and a bit more work to get it running with the ability to use new features, but none of this work should be too difficult.

Our Post FX work is progressing and hopefully we'll have some early shots to show when we think it's okay to do so.

And finally, Gjon and I spoke today about adding another historic track to rF2, hopefully for release. It seems reasonable to do it in the time we think we have left, but it is a track not to be taken lightly from an artist's point of view. No, I won't tell you what it is–it's a surprise and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up in case it doesn't make initial release. If it doesn't make it then it'll be a great addition to our first post-release update. I will tell you that I'm very excited to be working on it though.

Anyway, that's about it for this update–think I've used up my allotment of virtual ink for this one. Oh, I will add one more thing. The AI programmer has been doing a good amount of work in that area lately. The AI is not quite where we want it yet, but I can honestly say I'm having fun racing the AI now, and I could never say that about rF1's AI. They are challenging and a lot smarter about who is around them on track. Again, there's still work to be done, but even at this stage the difference is night and day so kudos to him.

mclaren777

I'll do my best. ;)

And you should have seen the look on my friend's face when I told him that I was banned for (apparently) hating on GT5. His response was something to the effect of: "But you're the biggest GT fanboy I've ever met! You even did both of the 24-hour endurance races in GT4!"

Live and learn, I guess.

1-D_FTW

Love Autumn Ring.

Unfortunately, it's one of numerous tracks that flat out won't work for me. Same issue as when I try Fuji or Cleveland Cart. The loading bar never moves on the track info screen. And when I hit enter, I immediately crash to desktop.

mclaren777

It might be time to install a second instance of rFactor. If those tracks work on a fresh install, then just move over your favorite mods to the new location and delete your previous version. I know many people who run multiple installs of rFactor so they can race in various leagues and still mess around with files to their heart's content.

Also, might I recommend the AE86 Club mod if you haven't already tried it.

ut3IO.jpg

1-D_FTW

Unfortunately I bought the retail because EVERYONE was selling it for 19.99 and the website wanted 39.99. I can't believe Rfactor Lite only works if you've purchased the DD version. Making multiple copies is such a pain/waste to do. I don't suppose there's anything I'm missing here. Can Rfactor lite be done with the retail version?

And I've really got a mess with only 1 version installed. I'd like to have 5 or 6 versions. Rfactor Lite is no joke. It really would make mod management a 1000 times better.

mclaren777

Couldn't you just install from the disc to a new folder within Program Files? Call it 'rFactor Fresh' or something like that.

And you might be able to use rFactor Lite. In fact, there's no harm in trying it out. What's the worst that could happen?

1-D_FTW

Yeah. I suppose I will just do clean installs from the disk. For some reason I thought the base game was taking like 4-5 GB.

I tried doing the whole Lite thing. It takes you to the "store/already purchased and forgot your code?" splash screen. Having the DVD in the drive does nothing.

I know I'll be buying the digital version of Rfactor 2.

mclaren777

The full, final version on the official site is exactly 1GB so I can't imagine your DVD copy is any different in size.

And do you have any recent mods to recommend? I'll be building a new computer next week and I'm curious to see how rFactor looks at 1080p.

jlevel13

1-D_FTW said:
Love Autumn Ring.

Unfortunately, it's one of numerous tracks that flat out won't work for me. Same issue as when I try Fuji or Cleveland Cart. The loading bar never moves on the track info screen. And when I hit enter, I immediately crash to desktop.

I noticed with autumn ring, when you extract the file you get a folder called "autumnring" with another folder inside called "AutumnRing." That second folder is the one you want to drop into your locations folder. At least that worked for me.

1-D_FTW

mclaren777 said:
The full, final version on the official site is exactly 1GB so I can't imagine your DVD copy is any different in size.

And do you have any recent mods to recommend? I'll be building a new computer next week and I'm curious to see how rFactor looks at 1080p.

No. Although if you have a GTX 460 I can STRONGLY recommend you don't install the map plugin. Without it, my GTX 460 runs at mild GPU utilization at reduced DVD voltage. With it, my GPU runs almost at load at full voltage. And not only that, certain maps are pushed so hard, there is massive texture corruption. Took me a while to figure it out. There were lots of threads where people with GTX 460s were complaining about tracks being completely corrupted in certain sections. Turns out that map plugin is quite possibly the most poorly coded plugin ever developed.

jlevel13 said:
I noticed with autumn ring, when you extract the file you get a folder called "autumnring" with another folder inside called "AutumnRing." That second folder is the one you want to drop into your locations folder. At least that worked for me.

Cool. Worked. Probably what's wrong with the others (though Cleveland appears to be something else.)

1-D_FTW

Finally downloaded the Porshe Fabcar. Now I know why InsideSimRacing has it rated so highly. That's a fun car to drive. The weight feels so good.

One of these days I'm just going to install a bunch of rfactor installs and give each mod it's own install (that includes AE86). My game is such a mess inside.

mclaren777

I have two installs--one for testing out new mods and another for online racing.

A couple times a year I'll go on a bender where I download 4GB+ worth of mods and spend the entire day testing them, then I just add my favorites to the 'keeper' install afterwards. It's a great way to make sure that your primary rFactor folder stays neat and tidy and it also allows you to try tons of fantastic mods (see below) without fear of messing things up.

PBXcz.jpg

mclaren777

I recently helped with the development of the Palatov DP4 mod. The real version of this car is in the final stages of development and I've been following its progress since it was just a file in SolidWorks. The creator lives not far from me and I've seen it at a couple of local track days. If you'd like to try the digital version for yourself, here's the link.

The engine sound isn't great and it will probably be updated in a few months when our wet weather clears up (Pacific Northwest). The current engine sounds were recorded indoors, without engine load, with an iPhone. Hardly the ideal setup. ;)

Youtube video of the real car

45pSzl.jpg

Grayman

I really should have hitched my wagon to rfactor instead of GTR Evo. rfactor 2 is coming out this year i believe? I will choose the right game this time.

I like to drive the production cars that typically are only in Gran Turismo games but from this thread it looks like rfactor has cars i would like to drive available.

I used the trial version and installed a few mods but I hate how some of these mods (lambo and Pagani mods) install their own obnoxious UI into the game. Is there a way to switch those off? Or do I have to install differen instances of these mods to play the game normally?

mclaren777

@Arucardo - If they get the FFB to register correctly (ie, feel like a PC/PS3 game) I might just consider getting an Xbox 360 for Forza 4 (and Miner Dig Deep).

@ Grayman - Yes, rFactor 2 should be out within the next few months. It sounds like they're just doing final polishing now.

@ PjotrStroganov - I also hate UI changes like that, especially the often-terrible music. You can try using the All Cars & Tracks 'mod', which will allow you to browse everything at once with the standard interface.

1-D_FTW

Cool links, McClaren.

You keep posting pics with the Historix mod. It was always my intention to pick GT Legends up (played the demo quit a bit), but there's just so much stuff in rfactor it's easy to put off. One of these days.

mclaren777

I finally installed rFactor on my new computer (2600K+GTX460) and it's really quite amazing. 1080p@60fps only uses 20-50% of my GPU even while sitting at the back of a 20-car grid with max AA, AF, and quality settings.

I hope to make some videos in the near future so stay tuned for that!

fGWBS.jpg

mclaren777

Now that I have a strong computer I'm looking for old mods that I might have passed up at the time because they were too taxing for my old Dell. Do any old mods/tracks spring to mind for you guys?

And it's only a matter of time until this thing is released...

CXCCi.jpg

mclaren777

rFactor 2 - Tire damage information

Did you just flatspot your tire? Is the rubber beginning to grain? Having a hard time feeling what the problem is? Not anymore. Just open your eyes.

This is something I've certainly never seen before and is another one of those things that makes my jaw drop.

If you flatspot a tire in rFactor 2 not only will the flatspot be simulated, it'll be mechanically simulated in the spot you actually wore down. Not only that, but it will be visually represented in the correct spot.

If you are wearing out your tires and they're beginning to grain on one side, you'll see the graining on that side.

Whatever damage your tire has, you'll see it and feel it.

Below is a series which shows the code in its most basic form (general tire wear).

pXqj0.jpg

awesome. did you see the dry line timelapse video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLH_8PxiD5E

this game is going to be a monster

from youtube comments,

ROONTANG : So with cars running on the track while it's damp, the race line will dry out before the rest of the surface? Looks very cool, can't wait for release.

ImageSpaceInc : @ROONTANG Yes. If you take a turn in a particular place you will rubber in that area or in the wet may dry it. It's affected by the actual action going on.

1-D_FTW

mclaren777 said:
I just discovered a fantastic version of Spa that I think you guys might enjoy...

Link

DorzL.jpg

Do you like that better than:

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Spa Francorchamp

I realize it's an older layout, but IMO the graphics are significantly better. And more than that, on the 07 layout, when I hit 6th gear in the Porsche fabcar on the opening straight, it's starts bouncing like a mofu right before the first turn. I'm talking NFS: Shift bad. And that's the first time I've ever had a bouncing car in this game. And it's not just there. On a couple of the next turns (between gears 2-4), I also get significant bouncing. Once I get through that section, the rest of the track is good.

mclaren777 said:
Now that I have a strong computer I'm looking for old mods that I might have passed up at the time because they were too taxing for my old Dell. Do any old mods/tracks spring to mind for you guys?

And it's only a matter of time until this thing is released...

CXCCi.jpg

I wonder how this car will handle in Rfactor, it handles incredibly unrealistic in GT5. Should be interesting to see. Make a video when you get the mod mclaren.

mclaren777

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Make a video when you get the mod mclaren.
Will do.

And you rally fans might want to check out Varshko-Ovragi, a new off-road track located in Russia. It comes with four different layouts and two seasons (July and February), offering both ice & gravel racing. It's all based on Google satellite data and tons of reference photographs.

Download

qibDz.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ok, downloaded the demo and need help badly.

Firstly, I don't mind the idea of a 60 minute demo if its 60 minutes of trying out the driving model. but with this its like 60 minutes of attempting to decode the UI and settings before you can even drive anything!

Firstly I had no FFB (DFGT), so I installed the logitech profiler. (software controllable steering stops, nice!). But now the FFB is odd. There is nothing when the steering wheel is centered, and then tons when I start to move the wheel, pulling my wheel in the direction I'm steering.

And is there any way to get different cars? I'd like to try something like a lotus elise or similar, but I'm stuck with this green thing like a stock car. Just not the sort of thing I like to drive.

any other tips on setting it up quickly so I can get a feel for it, its very unfriendly at the moment.

1-D_FTW

mrklaw said:
ok, downloaded the demo and need help badly.

Firstly, I don't mind the idea of a 60 minute demo if its 60 minutes of trying out the driving model. but with this its like 60 minutes of attempting to decode the UI and settings before you can even drive anything!

Firstly I had no FFB (DFGT), so I installed the logitech profiler. (software controllable steering stops, nice!). But now the FFB is odd. There is nothing when the steering wheel is centered, and then tons when I start to move the wheel, pulling my wheel in the direction I'm steering.

And is there any way to get different cars? I'd like to try something like a lotus elise or similar, but I'm stuck with this green thing like a stock car. Just not the sort of thing I like to drive.

any other tips on setting it up quickly so I can get a feel for it, its very unfriendly at the moment.

Took me a while to became remotely competent with the settings. I still don't really know what I'm doing, so I pretty much brute my way through. Maybe somebody else can answer your specifics.

The steering issue is an easy fix though: You need to reverse the feedback. Whether it's currently set to positive or negative, reverse it. Your description is the classic symptom of FFB that needs reversing. Do this with the in-game settings (NOT the profiler).

Angst

GTP_Daverytimes said:
I wonder how this car will handle in Rfactor, it handles incredibly unrealistic in GT5. Should be interesting to see. Make a video when you get the mod mclaren.
Lol. An imaginary car handles unrealistically?
Yeah, I take the X2010 to work everyday and it sure handles differently in GT5. ;)

Top Bottom