• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steering Wheel-age (or why you should try rFactor)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yoritomo said:
Only thing compatible with all three is the Fanatec Porsche Wheel Turbo S

250 for just the wheel. It's awesome though.
Yep, it's an awesome wheel for the price.

Ezalc

kikonawa said:
logitech G27 .. but i think you should loose the xbox

Yeah I'm about to. I barely play it and I still can't stand the concept of paying for online when the only feature I'll use is multiplayer and nothing else.

So I guess one that's only compatible with the PC and PS3 then. That porsche one sounds awesome but that's a big price tag on it.

1-D_FTW

Ezalc said:
Yeah I'm about to. I barely play it and I still can't stand the concept of paying for online when the only feature I'll use is multiplayer and nothing else.

So I guess one that's only compatible with the PC and PS3 then. That porsche one sounds awesome but that's a big price tag on it.

Logitech G25/27 if you can afford it. Hopefully GT 5 will support all the G27's features (including the led tachometer. Pretty nifty feature in F1 2010).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ezalc said:

It's only a $50 difference between the Fanatec and G27. $100 difference if you opt for the awesome upgraded pedals, which is actually a bargain considering those retail for $200 alone.

Ezalc

XiaNaphryz said:
It's only a $50 difference between the Fanatec and G27. $100 difference if you opt for the awesome upgraded pedals, which is actually a bargain considering those retail for $200 alone.

It kinda is a problem considering that I don't have a PS3 yet. I'm probably getting one next week. So it means I'd be wasting almost $1000.

mclaren777

KillerAJD said:
Finally finished my track. If you guys want to try it out, download it here. Check it out and tell me if you like it! It doesn't look fancy, but I think it's quite fun to take a spin around.

DJsqj.jpg
I just tried your track and it's pretty good. I used the WRC mod like you suggested and we (the AI) had a great time. I then tried it with the Formula Ford mod to test for bumpiness (FF don't like bumps) and I was pleasantly surprised. There are only two sections you might want to refine: the first "uphill" corner and the final corner leading onto the straight. The AIW file could also use some work because the AI seem to get confused sometimes (I watched Alistair McRae flip his car and Derek Ringer tumble down the hill). The curbing could also use some work--perhaps make it less jagged, especially on the insides of corners.

Other than that, it's a fantastic track!

How was working with BTB? Was that your first time building a track? And how long did it take? Any suggestions for someone like myself who also wants to build one?

(this schematic is now about 10 years old)
FjwbR.jpg

mclaren777

rFactor is normally $40 to download, but apparently you can get a DVD version here for just $20.

And I would also like to hear peoples' opinions of the beta/demo. I'm guessing some people are coming from more of a Burnout Paradise background, while others might be used to Simbin's various games. So what is the consensus on rFactor? More fun than good? Too hard? Hate dealing with PC software in general?

I'm always really curious what fans of other racing games think of it.

UZxeX.jpg

KillerAJD

mclaren777 said:
I just tried your track and it's pretty good. I used the WRC mod like you suggested and we (the AI) had a great time. I then tried it with the Formula Ford mod to test for bumpiness (FF don't like bumps) and I was pleasantly surprised. There are only two sections you might want to refine: the first "uphill" corner and the final corner leading onto the straight. The AIW file could also use some work because the AI seem to get confused sometimes (I watched Alistair McRae flip his car and Derek Ringer tumble down the hill). The curbing could also use some work--perhaps make it less jagged, especially on the insides of corners.

Other than that, it's a fantastic track!

How was working with BTB? Was that your first time building a track? And how long did it take? Any suggestions for someone like myself who also wants to build one?

(this schematic is now about 10 years old)
Thanks, glad you liked (most) of it! It was indeed my first track in BTB, and for a few days I was lost as all hell. Ended up watching a few videos from "Bob" himself (Link) to get an idea of what I needed to do. It ended up taking about a week to get it totally complete. A lot of time was, well, wasted, trying to figure out how to get the KML files (I used the path tool in Google Earth and then imported it into BTB) to have their height data applied. I guess Google Earth doesn't include that in the KML files, so you have to use a third party site to convert it. (Here's some info) Unfortunately, it's not 100% accurate, and in the end I just made the height variations by hand by watching a video on one monitor and going turn by turn in BTB on the other. A pain in the ass, yes, but I liked the results better. I'd love to keep working on it, but BTB only has a 14 day demo before you have to pay (something like ~$70 USD) for a license. I'd love to get it, but I can't afford it atm. As far as AIW editing, I could actually do some of it without BTB, but it's such a pain in the ass, I don't know if I have enough patience in me to work on it, lol. (I was already trying to get a conversion to GTR2 to work..what a pain!)

Anyways, again, thanks for the feedback, hopefully I'll be able to fix some stuff in time. Just check around the forums if you have a problem with BTB, play around with the tools, watch some videos, etc. You should eventually figure it out. Oh, and multi-path tracks are a bitch, because you're essentially cheating the program (since BTB doesn't natively support it), so that why I ended up making the track only a single layout (although I was making progress on it a few days ago).

mclaren777

ISI is planning to have a Q&A about rF2 on Twitter and Facebook soon. Also, here's a sneak peek at rF2's rain system...

Gh9Ji.jpg

Ashes

Banned
Somebody quickly get Mclaren to call this sucker out on its shitty sub-par look. :lol
Oh wait... didn't he create this thread?

ps. This is why trolling is stupid and immature. :lol

mclaren777

Pepto said:
So is this the game you could import Forza 3 models to?
Yeah, but very little progress has been made so far with the conversions. I'd guess that we still have a couple more months until anything meaningful comes of it, but by then rFactor 2 will be on the horizon so modders will have to repackage everything again for the inevitable changes.

Yir2A.jpg

mclaren777

The guys behind rFactor and rFactor 2 just launched an official forum earlier today. It's obviously fairly empty right now but it'll be a good place to bookmark if you're interested in rF2's development.

http://isiforums.net/f/forum.php

Also, I spent my morning driving a Ferrari 458 (from FM3) around Grand Valley (of GT fame) inside of rFactor. It was a really odd experience, but also really enjoyable. :D

mclaren777

Excerpts from an interview with the lead guy behind rFactor 2
Source

Doug: Thanks Gjon (and Team ISI) for taking time while deep in rFactor 2 development to answer our questions. Let's hit the biggest question right-up-front. Is rFactor 2 still on schedule to be under our 2010 Christmas tree?

Gjon: I'm predicting less than a 48% chance. We still have much work to do, but let's see.

Doug: How does ISI's work with real teams and rFactor Pro help the development of consumer version of rFactor 2?

Gjon: All ISI products are built from the same platform. Working with rFactor Pro has further validated our simulation models against real world data from the engineers in the field. This type of interaction contributed to the development of our brand new tire model featured in rFactor 2.

Doug: Can you tell us how the weather feature has been implemented into rFactor 2?

Gjon: While the implementation of weather is not yet final, the plan is for a system that allows both a completely random experience, so you are never quite sure what will happen during a race weekend, to a completely scripted one, so that you can simulate the events of a past real-life race.

Doug: What other new options or sub-features will be available in single player and multiplayer?

Gjon: We have reworked the force feedback to be more direct like the RealFeel plugin. The new technology behind it attempts to eliminate input lag as much as possible in software, including some optional prediction. While it's impossible for ISI to overcome physical delays in the steering wheel's FFB motor, the good news is that the newer wheels tend to respond much faster than the older ones.

While we're implementing many requests from various league admins to enhance the online experience, probably the biggest feature that affects both single and multiplayer is our new dynamic racing surface technology, or RealRoad. The track will "rubber in" as the weekend unfolds, excessive rain can clean the track surface, drylines will appear as the cars dry out the track, and marbles begin to build up as the race unfolds. All of this is constantly affecting the grip level of the track, and none of it is predetermined, but rather it is based on where and how the cars are driven. It will especially make online racing a whole new experience.

Doug: With increased levels of detail and texturing available, will rFactor 2 be more difficult or easier for mod teams to create state-of-the-art mods that reflect the true graphics and physics capabilities of the new title?

Gjon: Difficult to answer. There will be more tools built into rFactor 2 to make modding easier. That is a strong focus of rFactor 2. However, there will be more work for a modder to do. For example, a modder may chose to support the new weather features of rFactor 2 if he wants to get most out of the platform. As for physics we are always improving in that area and with any new features comes a period of discovery on how to best exploit it.

Doug: What kind of SDK will be provided to mod makers to help them create tracks and cars that take full advantage of rFactor 2's capabilities?

Gjon: There will be a "mod mode" in rFactor 2 where one will be able to use many of the tools we use in our development effort. There will be examples included, but there will not be one specific "SDK" on how to create content, freeing modders to work within the constraints they choose.

(an image of the rFTools module is below)

Doug: Any thought to including a built-in mods, tracks, and car set loader/unloader? With so many different add-ons, it can make the installation huge.

Gjon: Yes we are working on that and hope to have that as part of rFactor2.

Doug: When ready, will we get a worldwide release, or will rFactor 2 be rolled-out regionally?

Gjon: Worldwide.

(click for full size)

SmokyDave

Excellent thread. Just dropped in here to subscribe (and to thank you again for the RBR suggestion. Game is amazing).

mclaren777

Yoritomo said:
There's some oversensitivity in that thread.
Fixed. :)

And thanks for sharing this article. Sim racing has a lot of potential and I could actually see it being broadcast on TV someday like MLG/Starcraft stuff is now.

After 3 months I just found out that my G27 came with a copy of rFactor. :lol

What are the best Logitech profiler and game settings for the wheel?

Ashes

Banned
mclaren777 said:
Fixed. :)
And thanks for sharing this article. Sim racing has a lot of potential and I could actually see it being broadcast on TV someday like MLG/Starcraft stuff is now.

grrr... self declared elitist... sim racing snobbery... that kind of thing? :p

@Yoritomo: I can post it in there for you if you like... :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
mclaren777 said:
And I would also like to hear peoples' opinions of the beta/demo. I'm guessing some people are coming from more of a Burnout Paradise background, while others might be used to Simbin's various games. So what is the consensus on rFactor? More fun than good? Too hard? Hate dealing with PC software in general?

I'm always really curious what fans of other racing games think of it.

I really want to like this game.
I tried the demo that came with my G-27 (which is the "modded" demo with RPM shifter LEDs working out of the box, without fazerbox's plug-in) but it was... not horrible maybe, but man I expected a very hard sim and something more "complete". Instead it was something too arcadey (for what I was expecting), which also looked not good at all (but I expect that to change with mods, skin, hr textures packs and son, right?). It felt similar to the disappointing Race-Pro back then with the X360. Up until now the most fun I had was with NFS Shift Overhaul Mod 1.3, which completely shift (argh I know) the game from arcadey extremZZZ to GT-simmy, with considerable changes to AI, driving model, physics..
I guess it's the demo's fault, otherwise F1 teams wouldn't use roughly the same engine and the mod community would've never gone this far, but it's hard putting down the money when the demo's so bad.

Yoritomo

Ashes1396 said:
grrr... self declared elitist... sim racing snobbery... that kind of thing? :p

@Yoritomo: I can post it in there for you if you like... :)

That's fine. Doesn't matter that much. I just knew that if *I* posted it there it would probably be considered an affront to "The Real Driving Simulator" since it mentions something that isn't GT.

And the rFactor demo is horrid as a representation of the game. The best parts about rFactor are the mods.

mclaren777

Yoritomo said:
And the rFactor demo is horrid as a representation of the game. The best parts about rFactor are the mods.
I actually think the ZR @ Toban is a fantastic combination.

@Dash I don't mean to insult you, but you did disable all of the driving aids, right?

19Kilo

PjotrStroganov said:
Is there a place where mods can be downloaded for free? rFactor central asks me to pay up.

Isn't it just the "1-click download" stuff that you have to pay for? I've always done manual installs and never had to pay anything.

19Kilo

mclaren777 said:
rFactor is normally $40 to download, but apparently you can get a DVD version here for just $20.

Fry's usually has it for $20 as well.

rFactor is awesome. I hated the base game when I first got it. The included cars and tracks felt really bad to me. When I finally got around to trying out some mods it totally came alive. Yeah, maybe not as accurate as iRacing or whatever, but there is just so much content out there and lots of fun to be had.

Some of my must-have mods:

Historic GT & Touring Cars - truly amazing mod, and worth the price of rFactor alone (Plus GT Legends). I suggest creating a separate install just for this and keep another install for all other mods (the mod's manual tells how to do this easily).

Grand Prix 1979 - best thing since Grand Prix Legends (actually a lot of the included tracks are conversions from GPL - shitty quality video of Kyalami).

V8Factor - Aussie V8 Supercars done right. Bathurst comes with the package.

Indycar 94-95 - Great feeling mod from my favorite period of American open-wheelers. Grab some classic tracks like Mid-Ohio, Road America, Laguna Seca, etc. and have a blast.

CART Factor - the '98 season, and a fantastic mod.

DRM-MOD - The ridiculously overpowered touring cars from the 1970's Deutsche Rennsport Meisterschaft.

Edit: Added some video links

TylerD

I haven't played rFactor since I upgraded from Vista 64 to Win 7 64 and now I can't launch a race without the game crashing. Running in compatibility mode for XP doesn't work, unplugging my G25 doesn't work, tried default Windows G25 drivers and logitech drivers. No dice.

I have the latest drivers for my HD 4850 and all the drivers on my computer are completely up to date. I was able to play it just fine on this same PC with Vista 64.

Any ideas?

1-D_FTW

19Kilo said:
Fry's usually has it for $20 as well.

rFactor is awesome. I hated the base game when I first got it. The included cars and tracks felt really bad to me. When I finally got around to trying out some mods it totally came alive. Yeah, maybe not as accurate as iRacing or whatever, but there is just so much content out there and lots of fun to be had.

Some of my must-have mods:

Historic GT & Touring Cars - truly amazing mod, and worth the price of rFactor alone (Plus GT Legends). I suggest creating a separate install just for this and keep another install for all other mods (the mod's manual tells how to do this easily).

Grand Prix 1979 - best thing since Grand Prix Legends (actually a lot of the included tracks are conversions from GPL - shitty quality video of Kyalami).

V8Factor - Aussie V8 Supercars done right. Bathurst comes with the package.

Indycar 94-95 - Great feeling mod from my favorite period of American open-wheelers. Grab some classic tracks like Mid-Ohio, Road America, Laguna Seca, etc. and have a blast.

CART Factor - the '98 season, and a fantastic mod.

DRM-MOD - The ridiculously overpowered touring cars from the 1970's Deutsche Rennsport Meisterschaft.

Edit: Added some video links

Holy crap. Now that's got me interested.

19Kilo

TylerD said:
I haven't played rFactor since I upgraded from Vista 64 to Win 7 64 and now I can't launch a race without the game crashing. Running in compatibility mode for XP doesn't work, unplugging my G25 doesn't work, tried default Windows G25 drivers and logitech drivers. No dice.

I have the latest drivers for my HD 4850 and all the drivers on my computer are completely up to date. I was able to play it just fine on this same PC with Vista 64.

Any ideas?

Did you do an upgrade or a fresh install of windows? Have you tried reinstalling the game? Maybe a rogue mod or DLL is screwing with something. I would download the rFactor Lite install (only contains one car and one track) to a different location and see if it runs. Dunno man, might want to search around racesimcentral forums or something.

19Kilo

1-D_FTW said:
Holy crap. Now that's got me interested.

Now that I read my post again, I realized that all but V8Factor are historic racing mods o_O

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of awesome mods for modern racing series too, but it looks like the historic stuff are my favored ones. :D

bee

you should check out, the power and the glory 2.1 mod for gtr2, it's better than historix at least until historix 2 comes out anyway

19Kilo

bee said:
you should check out, the power and the glory 2.1 mod for gtr2, it's better than historix at least until historix 2 comes out anyway

P&G is awesome as well. Very, very similar to Historix - I'd put them about equal, aside from multiplayer which Historix does better as it's in rFactor imho. I recommend the complete conversion standalone installation for that one too.

TylerD

19Kilo said:
Did you do an upgrade or a fresh install of windows? Have you tried reinstalling the game? Maybe a rogue mod or DLL is screwing with something. I would download the rFactor Lite install (only contains one car and one track) to a different location and see if it runs. Dunno man, might want to search around racesimcentral forums or something.

Aha! I got it. Just needed to run the program as admin.

jlevel13

mclaren777 said:
I think most people agree that BRKart is the best karting mod around.

Belated thanks for leading me to BRKart - I finally got around to installing it today and trying out a handful of tracks & I've been having a great time. There are some really nice kart tracks out there!

jlevel13

GRAB_015.jpg

Sometimes the problem with rFactor is too much content - it's so easy to make a whole day disappear just fooling around and trying different things out (like this pretty nice Honda Civic mod).

Question: is there a way to just turn on the rear and side view mirrors w/o turning on the three ugly default mirrors at the top of the screen too?

1-D_FTW

Are there any mods that give the AI cars dynamic racing lines?

I redownloaded the demo for LFS and RFactor (version that came with G27) and walked away from both. The AI in LFS were like freight trains on rails. They're glued to their line and if they're faster than you, they're going to ram right through you. RFactor seemed a touch less retarded, but only slightly.

With all those cool retro mods, I just want to be able to race moderately competent AI. I want to be able to suck at the track, turn the difficulty down, and still have fun. Is this possible? Or do you have to be able to run the tracks flawless, at near record times, or have glued to the line cars ram through you?

markao

1-D_FTW said:
Are there any mods that give the AI cars dynamic racing lines?
Little late, but No. rFactor AI is not the best (or for that the worst) in the genre and highly dependable on how much work the mod teams (tracks & cars) have done to the AIW files. So in short, kind of hit and mis ;)

And for those that like older F1 cars, F1-S-R has released their F1 1991 Historical Edition. Have not had the time to try it out, but based on earlier work, should be fun!

All info here: F1 1991 by F1-S-R – Historical Edition Released (@VirtualR net

xafe0-4b496c7ioksgke.jpg

xzzb0-4b496cshjf7gug.jpg

xzpcr-4b496c7injvger.jpg

xa0g9-4b496cucokgghv.jpg

Top Bottom