• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

ajim

Did you guys that found it easy play on 'easy'? Because I'm playing on 'normal' and its no walk in the park. In the November missions I'm struggling to win and get good ranks :(

And yes, I like the story, but its mainly attributed to the characters and their personalities and how they play through the story.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ajim said:
been playing the absolute fuck out of this, and loving it so much. just got passed the part
where cosette had to cut the red wire and defuse the bomb
. so good. story is pretty sweet. but the best thing for me about this game are the characters and their personalities. all so good.

also. the game is pretty damn difficult.

looove it.

also; the girls are all hotties. aliasse <3

Really? Of all the females to single out after stating all the girls are hotties you single out Aliasse?

Why not Coleen, Marion, Anisette, etc.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Hcoregamer00 said:
Really? Of all the females to single out after stating all the girls are hotties you single out Aliasse?

bc Ali is so kawaii.

Though my fav is Juliana

dat pool scene :p

I am getting a bit tired of this game, and I am only in August.

I fucking hate it when you're destroying the opposite side, only looking for the last guy (e.g. for a 'defend for X turns' missions, which really means 'kill em all if you don't want a sucky rating'), then he decides to wake up from wherever shit corner he was hiding in, captures a completely irrelevant base, to spawn more dudes who eventually capture my mother base by just walking there. You know, that place where you start, and where, by the half of any battle going well, should be completely empty of people unless you like wasting unit spots by having a guy there doing nothing.

Also not digging the limit of 6 guys on the map at all. Very frustrating.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

lol, hcore. Dude likes Ali (and Julianna). Why you gotta hate? :p

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
harriet the spy said:

I fucking hate it when you're destroying the opposite side, only looking for the last guy (e.g. for a 'defend for X turns' missions, which really means 'kill em all if you don't want a sucky rating'), then he decides to wake up from wherever shit corner he was hiding in, captures a completely irrelevant base, to spawn more dudes who eventually capture my mother base by just walking there.

I know this feeling all too well.

Ellis Kim

Banned
harriet the spy said:

I fucking hate it when you're destroying the opposite side, only looking for the last guy (e.g. for a 'defend for X turns' missions, which really means 'kill em all if you don't want a sucky rating'), then he decides to wake up from wherever shit corner he was hiding in, captures a completely irrelevant base, to spawn more dudes who eventually capture my mother base by just walking there. You know, that place where you start, and where, by the half of any battle going well, should be completely empty of people unless you like wasting unit spots by having a guy there doing nothing.

Also not digging the limit of 6 guys on the map at all. Very frustrating.
The trick is to spawn a scout at home base and either run them through the grassy areas (their sight allows them to spot enemies in grass better than other classes), OR you can use one of the enemy location orders that eats a chunk of your CP.

I know its frustrating, but it also means you need to reasses how you approach those types of missions.

As for the unit number limitation, you'll be happy to know that VC3 raises the max number you can have on the field. The japanese demo is very much worth checking out.

maskrider

New DLCs for JP VC3

3/24 Selvaria and her battle, bonus : Selvaria + Ruhm + Maximilian
3/31 Rebellion Valkyria, bonus : Valkyria Riela (in special Valkyria costume) + &#12456;&#12540;&#12505;&#12523;&#12472;&#12517; (strongest giant sword from VC2)
4/7 War ended, journey on, bonus: Yeager + Auto sniper rifle &#12450;&#12473;&#12460;&#12523;
4/14 Bomber at the opposite shore, bonus: A strong mortar lance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxxs6l9hqAc

mjemirzian said:
VC2 is less prone to imbalanced features such as orders, scout rushes, and save/loading. Thus while in VC1 you could get away with loading Alicia up with orders or save/loading until someone procs Invincible or something and get an easy win, VC2 you may have to employ more strategy.

Also VC2's scoring system is more demanding than VC with more objectives and a score penalty for incapacitations.

That is why I also consider VC2 to be more difficult than VC in an objective analysis of difficulty - you can't utilize imbalanced features for easy wins, and the scoring system has a higher skill cap.

Pretty much this; kept getting into an argument about how the Armored Tech class was overpowered and pretty much told them the same thing (with the exception of VC2 actually being more dificult; I foudn it easier then the first one).

EDIT: ...wow, everyones clocking in at over 60 hours? I beat it in only 33, with the original around 28. (Then again, I bought it at launch day and only beat it a week ago; didn't wanna rush through it.)

Oyashiro

Been playing the hell out of this lately, it's SO addictive! Story is lol, I'm just getting used to skipping every single cutscene now. I'm in April right now and so far have an advanced Shocktrooper, advanced Scout, and Avan is a Fencer. Tearing some shit up with my team. Is there a good mission to get credits/experience at? I wanna advance some more of my characters. Also, any other general tips?

Dunan

Oyashiro said:
Been playing the hell out of this lately, it's SO addictive! Story is lol, I'm just getting used to skipping every single cutscene now. I'm in April right now and so far have an advanced Shocktrooper, advanced Scout, and Avan is a Fencer. Tearing some shit up with my team. Is there a good mission to get credits/experience at? I wanna advance some more of my characters. Also, any other general tips?

The experience point totals tend to rise in lockstep with the passing months and the differences between missions in a given month are negligible. What you want to look at instead, if you're just looking for experience points, is missions that can be completed in a single turn. Rewards for taking out tanks and key targets, and penalties for having soldiers fall, are small compared to what you get for finishing with a good rank, so don't risk lowering your rank just to shoot a few more people. Do go after the aces, though, as they carry plans for distinctive weapons and tank gear that you can get a lot of use out of back at R&D.

Before each mission (hit Square to browse the details without actually gearing up to deploy) you'll see which credits are available on the left side of the screen. Match those up with the credits you need to advance your soldiers to higher classes by pressing Triangle on the Change Class screen at the Training Grounds. Then select the soldiers that can make the best use of the credits that are available in a given mission.

I'm surprised how much I like this game given the anime-tropiness and the weak first few months. Given that Lanseal Academy takes cadets ranging in age from teens to thirties, I wish they'd had more 20s and 30s cadets to choose from and to interact with, but what they did have wasn't too bad. August brought an insane difficulty spike for me until I finally developed a soldier class that could hit that boss!

Now I'm in December and am about to finish. I had dropped this game entirely to focus on the superior VC3, but then decided I might as well play them in order. Maybe it's the fact that I know a much better game is waiting for me as soon as this finishes that suddenly made this game so much more tolerable.

Oyashiro

Cool, thanks for that bit of advice. I did find a mission I think in March where you have to defeat a really strong leader. I managed to beat it in one go by placing Fencer Avan as close to him as it would allow me and then just rushing over there and smacking him twice.

Also, what are some recommended classes/advanced classes to go for? I usually just use lots of Scouts, some Shocktroopers, one shield guy, and Lancers when I need to take down a tank. Do Engineers have ANY purpose? I never use them and I seem to do just fine.

EDIT: Also, how exactly does credit distribution work? I know you said that every stage has a certain amount of credits/materials that you get, but how exactly do you get them? Are they dropped by enemies, so whoever kills that enemy has a chance of getting the item, or are they just randomly distributed to the characters you used to beat the map? For example, if I only use Avan in a map, will he get all the credits and stuff?

Dunan

The credits aren't "dropped" by certain enemies; rather, all the participants in the battle are evaluated, a 'top' and a 'runner-up' (literally a 'valedictorian' and a 'salutatorian') are selected. The valedictorian might have a 70% chance of getting Support X, 30% of getting Support; the salutatorian might have 50% and 50% for those, respectively, and then the rest of the honorees have smaller percentages. The top two honorees' chances always sum to 100, implying that they get one or the other, but the other honorees' percentages sum to over 100, so it might be that the top two are guaranteed one of the special credits and then everybody gets the other credits with certain probabilities. I'm still trying to understand it myself.

I'm also still trying to figure out how the soldiers are evaluated (i. e., what earns them points -- it feels like there are a lot of positive things you can do that might not, as baseball fans like to say, show up in the scorebook. A Scout who runs out into the field and reveals the presence of a tank in the distance before returning to behind the sandbags while a Lancer takes two CP to get behind that tank and shoot its radiator clearly deserves the 'assist' on that kill even if he hasn't accomplished anything that will earn him points.

Rescuing fallen allies seems to earn you a lot of points, as I once had a valedictorian who never fired a shot -- he did, however, run through covering fire to touch two downed allies.

I've been trying to give "playing time" to as many soldiers as I can in each battle so that many people will pick up credits. Typically I'll have 11 or 12 people obtaining at least something when the battle is over.

(Credit names, incidentally, are a little more informative in the Japanese version, where they do a better job of sounding like something off a college transcript. The "X" credits are in fact &#20778; (y&#363;), which corresponds to an A in the Japanese grading system.)

As for how material drops work, let me spend some more time with the book and see if I can find anything. Having basically done all the missions in the order they appear, I've been acquiring material steadily and have usually had the right ones in hand when items requiring them become available.

Duffyside

Banned
So, I love Valkyria, but never owned a PSP. I plan to get a Vita at launch: will I be able to buy Valkyria 2 on the PSN store and play it on my Vita? Or do I just need to grab a PSP now that they're cheap?

I've just finished Persona 3 Portable, leaving me with no more handheld games to play. I've been meaning to get this for a while due to really enjoying the first, but after the news that Peace Walker is going to PS3 I wouldn't be surprised that this'll go over too. The fact VCIII isn't announced in the west yet makes me think some kind of HD collection is even more likely.

Would it be a good idea to wait? I'd only be saving about £10...but..I don't want to buy it twice.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Spiffy_1st said:
I've just finished Persona 3 Portable, leaving me with no more handheld games to play. I've been meaning to get this for a while due to really enjoying the first, but after the news that Peace Walker is going to PS3 I wouldn't be surprised that this'll go over too. The fact VCIII isn't announced in the west yet makes me think some kind of HD collection is even more likely.

Would it be a good idea to wait? I'd only be saving about £10...but..I don't want to buy it twice.

I would say just pick it up now. It's cheap, and VCII lends itself more to portable play; it's heavy on dialogue.

Rarutos

Giolon said:
Looks like the Valkyria Chronicles II artbook will be getting a US release by UDON!
Glorious. I don't mind double dipping for a translated version, no siree!

I'm actually one of the few people who did like II quite a bit, very happy to have the Design Archive translated!

Giolon said:
Looks like the Valkyria Chronicles II artbook will be getting a US release by UDON!

To be perfectly honest, I can't get excited about this. How long have we been waiting for the original fucking book? A year now? Yeah, almost literally a fucking year. I enjoyed vc 2, but there is no way in hell im even thinking about ordering this art book until I get the other one first. Nothing would leave a more sour taste in my mouth than having vc2 archive and not having vc1's.

Giolon

Onion_Relish said:
To be perfectly honest, I can't get excited about this. How long have we been waiting for the original fucking book? A year now? Yeah, almost literally a fucking year. I enjoyed vc 2, but there is no way in hell im even thinking about ordering this art book until I get the other one first. Nothing would leave a more sour taste in my mouth than having vc2 archive and not having vc1's.

It's being brought over by the same people. I highly doubt they're gonna have this ready before the first one. XD They did supposedly have special unbound editions of the VC1 artbook at Comic-Con...at least that's what they announced.

I always love a good art book, regardless of how I necessarily feel about the related product. While VCII was a letdown in so many ways, I thought the art book was great.

Giolon said:
It's being brought over by the same people. I highly doubt they're gonna have this ready before the first one. XD They did supposedly have special unbound editions of the VC1 artbook at Comic-Con...at least that's what they announced.

I always love a good art book, regardless of how I necessarily feel about the related product. While VCII was a letdown in so many ways, I thought the art book was great.

Yeah, im not going to pretend like VC2 is my favorite game ever. It really isn't. I got it for 17 bucks or whatever when it was on psn sale and i'd be lying if i said i hadnt got my moneys worth, but i still havent finished the game due to it dragging on for so long. And yes i know Udon is doing it and their quality is excellent hence why i'm so excited for the first design book. I was one of the ones that actually got a signed copy of VC1 due to winning those VC2 contests they had going (and i had to wait a fucking life time for that too)

People have confirmed seeing the book at comic con and that it was still coming, so im going to hang my hat on that and keep on keepin on.

Also Giolon, you wouldnt happen to know where i could get a decent price on the end of eternity art book would you?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Giolon said:
Oh, most excellent! I'd been putting off buying the Japanese art book, and it looks like it payed off.

Now if only someone would bring over the MGS art books so I don't have to pay kinokuniya import markups :S

Lesiroth said:
What DLC? The extra missions? How exactly do they make the game easier?
weapon unlocks.

Koren

Lesiroth said:
What DLC? The extra missions? How exactly do they make the game easier?
I didn't know there was a DLC for VC2... Also in Europe? Will check tomorrow.

(But I don't think personally that the game need to be easier, even if some missions are a bit more challenging than in VC1, I found both games far too easy. The second one is insanely long (and cheap) if you want to unlock everything, but that's not a difficulty issue.)

Ellis Kim said:
weapon unlocks.
Do you really need more powerful weapons when you can kill the final boss with a single shot?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Koren said:
Do you really need more powerful weapons when you can kill the final boss with a single shot?
Long and boring months separate the beginning and the end, pal.

Not to mention, being able to kill the armored goons swiftly throughout the missions helps a lot. The DLC includes a ton of ridiculously hard missions as well, if that's an incentive for you.

Ellis Kim said:

Not to mention, being able to kill the armored goons swiftly throughout the missions helps a lot. The DLC includes a ton of ridiculously hard missions as well, if that's an incentive for you.

Tell me about it. I put in about 60 hours and I'm only at August. Is the DLC immediately available or do you have to purchase it in Lavinia's shop?

Moofers

So did VC3 come out in Japan yet? I'm thinking about importing since it won't be coming to the U.S. I'm not even sure where to import from nowadays. Any recommendations?

Koren

Ellis Kim said:

Not to mention, being able to kill the armored goons swiftly throughout the missions helps a lot.
Those were the most interesting mission, I'd say, because you couldn't face them openly without thinking. My best memory of VC2 is the mission with Dirk in
the academy
, since this was an interesting hide'n seek battle.

The time I spent "speedrunning" all missions in VC1 probably help me getting a hold on the tricks that helps a lot in VC2, I guess. If those DLC helps other people enjoying the game, then I'm all for it. I'm just (honestly) surprised hearing that.

And I don't know where you went in VC2, but "long and boring" describes very well the game after the end (after the second year, I mean). Damn this grinding for ore and parts to complete the alternate paths of weapon development is dull, stupid, long and boring.

That and the 10 million ducats for next-to-nothing (even if money grinding is quick in this one).

Ellis Kim said:
The DLC includes a ton of ridiculously hard missions as well, if that's an incentive for you.
That's a BIG incencitive, yes (even if I'm cautious when reading 'ridiculously hard', I've yet to see that in VC).

Thanks, if the DLC is available here, it's definitively sold.

Man, i just popped in VC1 and it still looks gorgeous. If they insist on keeping it to Handhelds, i'm hoping a PSV version will bring back that look. Do it Sega.

Rarutos

rainking187 said:
Is there a Valkyria Chronicles III artbook? I wonder if Udon would consider releasing one even though we aren't getting the game.
They might, they did Tony Taka's Shining Works which included Shining Wind, which we also didn't get. The Atelier Chronicle also features the first 6 Atelier games or so that we also didn't get as well. So it's a possibility!

Oh, and there's no VCIII book yet, but I'm sure there will be soon enough!

Ellis Kim

Banned
Moofers said:
VC3 was definitely canned for U.S. release, right?
I'd hate to think that Sega's THAT stupid, but I think it very may well be.

Presently, the only thing that's keeping me afloat is the fact that western details for Final Fantasy Type-0 remains unclear/unannounced. It leaves room for speculation that these latter-life PSP games may see release as VITA and PS3 Remaster ports.

Moofers

I have no idea how well VC2 sold in the states, but with PSP sales in general being slow, I kind of wonder if they wouldn't just say why bother? Plus, I could've sworn I heard something like a month ago on the boards here about VC3 likely being japan only. Maybe my mind just connected the dots on its own though.

I see its on Play-Asia for about $60. Might be worth it if that's the only way to play it. Time to start brushing up on my hiragana and katakana, eh?

Ellis Kim

Banned
The best thing that could happen right now is if it saw a standalone VITA port at VITA's launch (lol psp piracy), along with a VC2+3 HD remasters PS3 collection w/ 1080p anime cutscenes.

That's if we lived in a universe where things were slightly more optimistic than our own.

i'm fine with a vita port. i've still not lost hope though, we might get it for PSP somehow.

at least the situation isn't as bleak as with growlanser :eek:

Top Bottom