• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 Japanese Original |OT| Vinlandic Release Date TBA

Dunan

戦場のヴァルキュリア4!Valkyria Chronicles 4!

71DAYf3MJ2L._SL1000_.jpg

It’s not often you get exactly what you want when a video game sequel is announced, but VC1 fans who have been pining for a return to the original are getting just that with VC4, released on March 21 in Japan, around the same time in Hong Kong (with Japanese voices and Chinese text), and TBA in North America and Europe.
The original story was just one part of a much larger war, and at the time it looked like many other great stories could be told about it. VC2 took us two years into the future, to a short-lived rebellion in 1937 Gallia, but the third game returned to the main war and told a story of a penal unit comprising a bunch of misfits (and anime tropes) exiled to this dangerous squad for various infractions. Now we have a story from the perspective of the barely-touched-on Atlantic Federation, the western power that makes up the Europan equivalents of France and the United Kingdom.

GM0z3R4.jpg

The developers have given the name Edinburgh to their faux UK and its huge army takes on Gallian volunteers: this is where our protagonists hail from.

7udCCuR.jpg

We get to see a little more of Europa than we have previously: we finally get to see the equivalent of Scandinavia, and Gallia’s two small independent neighbors (Nemur and Emmen) are labeled clearly.

Y7IZrE8.jpg

The Federation institutes Operation Northern Cross to attach the Schwartzgrad, the imperial capital 1500 kilometers inland, from the north. We'll be moving across snowfields and traversing icy oceans in this game.

Q18otwe.jpg

And how about the actual gameplay? It's back. And it's basically exactly what we have come to love:

6qxNbh1.jpg

qZtrcJj.jpg

(We get to see the excerpt from the Federation's anthem for the first time since the kidnapping mission in VC1. Admit it: you paid close attention to this part when playing that mission just so you could read this, didn't you? Now it's a big part of the game.)

Ace enemy soldiers are back -- Image with very minor spoilers here: Yts8E9w.jpg on IMGUR -- and the battles are the same aesthetic triumph that they were in VC1.

The beautiful hybrid German-Fraktur-letters-with-Irish-numbers font is used everywhere again, and it looks as great as it always has. The developers even got to make use of things they had always wanted to use, such as this numerical signaling board that you might remember from the VC1 artbook:

jYjFnvR.jpg

In between battles you'll be developing your weapons and tanks just like you always have:

3flVJNW.jpg

The slogan on the side of the tank is "It Will Be Done", which seems to be Squad E's motto. Your tank, the Hafen, is piloted by Claude Wallce, our new protagonist. I'm still in the early stages of the game and haven't gotten to know many of the supporting actors, but you've got leaders (who give extra turns to your squad when they're on the battlefield) as before, and people can die if left on the field while injured for three turns.

(Gun development with a minor trophy spoiler: look for 8PSOjfp.jpg on IMGUR)

And the mood-lightening sophomoric humor hasn't gone anywhere:

1R5y9OY.jpg

(Raz: "So she's a naval officer, huh? Check out that butt! Women of the sea, they're all right, yo!")

The rating system is back, too, and S-ranks (I hope they start with A again in the translated versions) aren't too hard to get, even on Normal mode:

KcIsqtD.jpg

If you can read Japanese, this game is available right now. Move out, Squad E!

JFkeXES.jpg

Last edited:

Dunan

All the images in the above post, plus a few outtakes, and the spoilery ones, can be seen in the gallery at: . No spoilers beyond the second chapter, so feel free to look unless you want to go in totally blind.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm sooo god damn hype for this, I hope this E3 we get solid release date fo west.

DonF

I'm playing 1 right now, played 2 on psp but I really can't remember much of it. Never got 3. Really looking forward for 4. There is not much like this series in the current gen...x com, maybe? I really like the setting, besides the combat.

staen

This kind of breaking my heart.:(
I don't think it's that bad. According to Famitsu, it had a sell through rate of 60-80%. We're also comparing a game sold on a portable(PSP) vs home console (PS4) in Japan, where portables are king. The user base at the time of 3's release also had +10 mil more users on the PSP than what the PS4 currently has in Japan. I think if the Switch version had released, we'd probably see a lot better numbers. If sales were on the lower end of that 60-80%, I guess calling it unsatisfactory may not be inaccurate but I still wouldn't say it did tremendously bad or anything.

Last edited:

Dunan

Circumstantial "don't panic" evidence: this game has a really high price: ¥8000 ($75) for the base game and ¥14,000 ($135) for the collector's edition. VC1 Remastered is super cheap: ¥2000 ($19). And the VC1 official guide, long out of print and selling used on Amazon, has suddenly spiked to above the cover price (when shipping is included). So people new to Valkyria or even veterans could be seeing this game's silly-high price and picking up VC1's remaster instead while waiting for a price drop.

Used prices of this game have not plummeted in the two weeks since the game has come out, like you sometimes see with awful games and even good games. (FFXV was also released with a super-high price, and could be had used for 30% less in just a week. And that game had a ton of DLC in the pipeline!) So people who have bought this game are holding on to it.

Shouta

I'm pretty interested in how this turned out but i don't have the bandwidth for the game right now.

sublimit

Banned
I envy all of you guys who know good enough Japanese to understand the story! Can't wait for the English release!

Dunan

I envy all of you guys who know good enough Japanese to understand the story! Can't wait for the English release!

The story is good, but nothing mind-blowing so far (I'm in Chapter 3). It's the gameplay that is the real draw; they brought everything back from VC1 and gave us more variety. So far we've stormed a base, done some gimmicky (but fun) things in a mid-sized town, and fought in a foggy night (bad visibilty) that turns to a clear dawn, plus a patrol mission in the rain. I'm looking forward to the snow battles -- VC2 had some in snow fields, but it wasn't snowing.

Maybe the story falls apart; I have no idea. But even with no Japanese I suspect the gameplay would be enough to carry it.

sublimit

Banned
The story is good, but nothing mind-blowing so far (I'm in Chapter 3). It's the gameplay that is the real draw; they brought everything back from VC1 and gave us more variety. So far we've stormed a base, done some gimmicky (but fun) things in a mid-sized town, and fought in a foggy night (bad visibilty) that turns to a clear dawn, plus a patrol mission in the rain. I'm looking forward to the snow battles -- VC2 had some in snow fields, but it wasn't snowing.

Maybe the story falls apart; I have no idea. But even with no Japanese I suspect the gameplay would be enough to carry it.

Yeah but even if the story was completely crap i still want to get the full experience from a game like VC4 and that's why it didn't even crossed my mind to import it. But man everything you say about the variety of the missions sounds sooo good to me!!
smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes_1f60d.png

Last edited:

Danjin44

Yeah but even if the story was completely crap i still want to get the full experience from a game like VC4 and that's why it didn't even crossed my mind to import it. But man everything you say about the variety of the missions sounds sooo good to me!!
smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes_1f60d.png
Ooooooooh yeah, I'm craving for VC gameplay for very, very long time.

Update: Amazon.com gives October 16, 2018 as a release date for North America. No idea if that's a placeholder or a real date.

I think upon a search I'd heard that date as well, I'd be ok with that but a summer release would also work and maybe work out better for sales as its not as close to the release of Red Dead Redemption.

Durask

Looked up sales figures.

Far Cry 5 sold more than VC4. Ouch. :(

Well, I'll do my part when it comes out over here.

Danjin44

Just reposting my review

tl;dr It's better than 1.
More reason for me to get hype for this game because VC1 was absolutely fantastic game and if VC4 manages to be better than VC1 then we are looking at one of the best games in 2018. I just we get release date soon.

Last edited:

Dunan

The official strategy guide is out:

61-qawnWmGL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The VC tax is in effect here too: the price is about $24 including tax, which is 50% more than VC1's book cost.

Also... notice something? The title is the English-language name of the game! (In Japan, when this game's name is written in English, they had been using "Gallian Chronicles" most of the time.)

My copy arrived and, not having completed the game, I'm trying not to look at it too deeply for fear of spoilers, But you definitely get a feel for how big the maps are when you look at them alongside the VC1 maps. There are roughly
missions in the main story and another
free and optional ones.

The book also comes with a downloadable custom theme for the PS4! (Haven't redeemed it so I don't know if it's good or not.)

So happy to see this game getting good reviews, selling decently, and getting a proper strategy book. It's a worthy sequel to the first!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I like the sniper

Always showing her ass

Day one for me

Top Bottom