• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who had the best graphics: DS or Ps1?

The ds. It has a z-buffer so everything looks where it should in a 3d space. The ps1 could push more poly's, but only the best ones used a software z-buffer and most all had no filter or perspective correction.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Try playing Playstation games on the PSOne with the screen attached. They look freaking amazing on such a small LCD.

K.Jack said:
Try playing Playstation games on the PSOne with the screen attached. They look freaking amazing on such a small LCD.
Wouldn't an LCD from 10 years ago suffer from both incredible lag and ghosting?

That COP game looks really good for like no reason. Good scale too. Puts everyone to shame.

Also DQ IX looks impressive for a DS game graphically. Problem is that the game looks really generic art wise :x

Goldmund

Bel Marduk said:
That COP game looks really good for like no reason. Good scale too. Puts everyone to shame.

Also DQ IX looks impressive for a DS game graphically. Problem is that the game looks really generic art wise :x
It doesn't look generic. It looks like it's based on Toriyama's art.

Goldmund said:
It doesn't look generic. It looks like it's based on Toriyama's art.

I'm mostly talking about the backgrounds and dungeons and towns and such. To me it seemed very plain and generic. Almost no impressive vistas either. DQ VIII was much better with this.

Mael

Bel Marduk said:
I'm mostly talking about the backgrounds and dungeons and towns and such. To me it seemed very plain and generic. Almost no impressive vistas either. DQ VIII was much better with this.
yeah but that 1)
that on ps2
and 2)
and compared to dq7?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's nothing on the DS that looks as good as Legend of Mana, though I expect that's mainly due to a lack of effort.

Polygons though? DS by a good green country mile. Not even close.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DS is definitely beyond the PSX. Aside from producing games running at higher framerates more often, it offers perspective correct texture mapping (the lack of which ruined the visuals of many a PSX game). It's simply more capable hardware (as it should be considering it was released more than 10 years after PSX). What's more of a shame is that 3DS doesn't seem to be up to the same level as Gamecube, XBOX, or even PS2. Of course, it's still early, so things could change.

Aeana

Man God said:
There's nothing on the DS that looks as good as Legend of Mana, though I expect that's mainly due to a lack of effort.

Polygons though? DS by a good green country mile. Not even close.
Does DSiWare count? Because I think Shantae: Risky's Revenge gives Legend of Mana a run for its money in some parts. It's just not super consistent (especially dungeons).

K.Jack

_dementia said:
Not that I ever experienced. Honestly on second though, I don't think it was an LCD.

Mael

dark10x said:
DS is definitely beyond the PSX. Aside from producing games running at higher framerates more often, it offers perspective correct texture mapping (the lack of which ruined the visuals of many a PSX game). It's simply more capable hardware (as it should be considering it was released more than 10 years after PSX). What's more of a shame is that 3DS doesn't seem to be up to the same level as Gamecube, XBOX, or even PS2. Of course, it's still early, so things could change.

I blame 3D for the whole 3DS clusterfuck myself

1-D_FTW

_dementia said:

I don't know about the lag on those sets (don't think they had any processing), but the old LCDs Sony used to use in their kiosks were a monstrosity when it came to ghosting. Made the launch PS2 look like a freaking Atari 2600 the way everything was a blocky, chunky mess.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Aeana said:
Does DSiWare count? Because I think Shantae: Risky's Revenge gives Legend of Mana a run for its money in some parts. It's just not super consistent (especially dungeons).

I was actually thinking the same thing minutes after I posted. LoM is a lot more consistent graphically though.

In Shantae though it really does seem like the game was once episodic and they rushed through the art on the later stages. The first few areas that you open up are jaw droppingly cool, especially the different layers in the forest. The dungeon is still a bit drab but hey, dungeon. Later on the landscape art calms down a bit.

K.Jack

Ac_cover.jpg

ONE.jpg

Could the DS pull off either of these games? Serious question.

Aeana said:
DQ9 definitely has framerate problems, but I don't really remember any severe drops in Solatorobo. Regardless, I remember M3d10n saying at one point that the modeling complexity is usually higher in DS games. I don't know a lot about this stuff personally, but he seems to know his stuff. I don't know if he ever weighed in on PSX vs. DS, but he did on DS vs. N64. I hope he stops by this thread.

The DS also has some sort of hardware antialiasing which is really noticeable in pretty much every game.
Really? It happened a lot to me during my Solatorobo play time :( Not as bad as Okamiden, but very noticeable? How odd.

But yes, DS models are usually more complex (because 3D modelling has come a long way since PS1 days), but the games on average seem to push far less polygons and usually have fewer enemies on screen. DS also struggles with some effects like transparency, that's why something like Tales of Eternia on PS1 has far prettier looking spells than Tales of Hearts.

jett

D-Member
The DS obviously, but it's relatively close. You also have to factor the fact that developers are much better today at modeling, animating and texturing than they were 15 years ago. :p

zoukka

jett said:
The DS obviously, but it's relatively close. You also have to factor the fact that developers are much better today at modeling, animating and texturing than they were 15 years ago. :p

Actually I'd say the gap isn't that big. Many artists of today don't have to touch low poly stuff at all. iOS is bringing the renaissance of low-poly back though!

Aeana

Gilgamesh said:
The last line of his post seems to imply PSX > DS.
How do you figure? "Games like Tales of Innocence and Nanostray 2 are borderline Dreamcast in models and texturing." says the opposite to me.

M3d10n

Aeana said:
Soon M3d10n will come in here and lay some knowledge down.
On your command.

I'd say it's a tie. The DS is better than the PS1 in a lot of areas, the PS1 advantages all contributing to making the top PS1 games look better (in overall) than DS games.

- Renders at 18-bit color: providing a clean image free of dithering;
- Perspective correct texture mapping avoids the "zig-zag" or "wavy" textures seen on PS1 games;
- Polygons shake/snap a lot less in DS games due to higher precision geometry transformations (32-bits versus 12-bits);
- True skeletal animation due to much faster CPU and hardware-accelerated transform & lighting;
- Hardware-accelerated polygon clipping and backface culling.
- Hardware support for cel-shading, outlines, stencil-buffer and reflection mapping;
- Free edge antialiasing.

But the PS1 had some advantages:
- 600~700MB discs (being able to use multiple discs if needed), while most DS games are smaller than 256MBs.
- Supports additive and substractive blending modes, while the DS only supports alpha-blending (like the N64 did);
- Higher polygon throughput (180K tris/s versus 120K tris/s on the DS);
- More flexible rendering pipeline (but harder to program for);
- The top-games had much bigger budgets than DS games;

The DS has a very strange way of dealing with polygons, in that it always runs at 60fps and draws 2048 polygons per frame. Only polygons which are visible on the screen count for that number (after clipping/culling) and anything over that is simply skipped. If you want your game to run at 30fps and get twice the polygons you need to jump through hoops and draw the scene in two passes, sacrificing some VRAM and dropping from 18bpp to 16bpp to do so.

The PS1 would just reduce the framerate if you pushed more than 3000 triangles per frame. So a 20fps game could push 9K triangles per frame (FFIX battles).

The budget/development philosophy was very different: the top PS1 games were bona-fied blockbusters where developers were constantly attempting to out-do each other in technical prowess while even the top DS games are developed with a safer and more budget-conscious approach.

Crash Bandicoot is a great example: there's nothing on the DS like it (but the Wizard of Oz game gets very close - and runs at 60fps). But if you read the article about it, there's nothing preventing a DS game from using the same streaming technique. But it's such a ludicrous and laborious technique that no DS dev would get a budget approved for that.

spats

M3d10n said:
On your command.

I'd say it's a tie. The DS is better than the PS1 in a lot of areas, the PS1 advantages all contributing to making the top PS1 games look better (in overall) than DS games.

- Perspective correct texture mapping avoids the "zig-zag" or "wavy" textures seen on PS1 games;
- Polygons shake/snap a lot less in DS games due to higher precision geometry transformations (32-bits versus 12-bits);
- True skeletal animation due to much faster CPU and hardware-accelerated transform & lighting;
- Hardware support for cel-shading, outlines, stencil-buffer and reflection mapping;

- 600~700MB discs (being able to use multiple discs if needed), while most DS games are smaller than 256MBs.
- Supports additive and substractive blending modes, while the DS only supports alpha-blending (like the N64 did);

The DS has a very strange way of dealing with polygons, in that it always runs at 60fps and draws 2048 polygons per frame. Only polygons which are visible on the screen count for that number (after clipping/culling) and anything over that is simply skipped. If you want your game to run at 30fps and get twice the polygons you need to jump through hoops and draw the scene in two passes, sacrificing some VRAM and dropping from 18bpp to 16bpp to do so.

The PS1 would just reduce the framerate if you pushed more than 3000 triangles per frame. So a 20fps game could push 9K triangles per frame (FFIX battles).

The budget/development philosophy was very different: the top PS1 games were bona-fied blockbusters where developers were constantly attempting to out-do each other in technical prowess while even the top DS games are developed with a safer and more budget-conscious approach.

Crash Bandicoot is a great example: there's nothing on the DS like it (but the Wizard of Oz game gets very close - and runs at 60fps). But if you read the article about it, there's nothing preventing a DS game from using the same streaming technique. But it's such a ludicrous and laborious technique that no DS dev would get a budget approved for that.

Very insightful and interesting, thanks for posting.

The PS1 was missing a very core component that the N64 & the DS had, something to do with keeping everything from stuttering. Every PS1 game that I ever saw stuttered whenever the camera moved because the system was struggling to make sure the polygons and textures stayed where they belonged.

It ruins games like Chrono Cross for me when I play them on PC with Bleem. It's a lot less noticeable on the PSP, but still very noticeable regardless.

Also the texture flickering problem always bugged me.

I was never a big fan of the PSX from a hardware standpoint.

Edit: Mentioned in better detail above.

Aeana

Jigsaw said:
ps1

just compare spyro to mario 64 ds,it's not even close

also soul reaver or silent bomber
Soul Reaver might not be the best aid to your argument since it seems to run at all of 10 FPS or something. Tried playing it recently and was really shocked.

M3d10n

I'd like to add that the DS has a clear advantage over the PS1 in 60fps games: it can use all of its VRAM for textures (the PS1 has less VRAM and must use some of it for front/back buffers), use the highest IQ and still have the entire CPU free for running the game.

On the PS1 the CPU was often the bottleneck. There was an interview about a canned PS1 port of Quake 1, done by Lobotomy (the guys who did the Saturn port). There they said the PS1 graphics chip ran circles around the Saturn's: it could run the same levels from the Saturn version at solid 60fps. But when they added collision and enemies, the CPU couldn't keep up and the game dropped to 30fps.

M3d10n said:
On your command.

Great post!

GeekyDad

Magicpaint said:
When DS games start to push polygons even close to the level of PS1 games the frame rate suffers definitely. DQIX suffers the moment more party members are added, Okamiden is sub-20fps a lot of times and Solatorobo crawls to a halt when more than three enemies are on screen. The cap on polygon crunching numbers hurts the DS imo.

Man, you are grossly exaggerating the framerate issues inherent in those games. Generally speaking, I've experienced a significant difference for the better with DS compared to PS1 games when it comes to framerate.

Mael

M3d10n said:
On your command.

Well that settles it then.

BDGAME said:
The choose of machines is very obvios: These 2 game devices had a low poligonal graphic with almost any kind of filter and beside that, these 2 machines became the leaders of their generations. A lot of hard work was put in theses 2 video games and now I want to now: Which of these machines developers were able to achieve the best graphics?

For me, looks like DS had the best graphics in the end. Is the DS hardware better than the Ps1 or the developers are better in nowdays?

The comparison is pointless not because it is "retro" but because

1. You are comparing a more powerful machine (the DS) with a weaker one (the PS1)

2. You are comparing tech and developer know how that is separated by a decade.

It is one thing to ask what looks people prefer, but to ask which one is more powerful, simply could have been solved by looking at the specs.

EDIT: NVM M3d10n put it best. Serves me right for not reading through thread.

BDGAME

staticneuron said:
The comparison is pointless not because it is "retro" but because

1. You are comparing a more powerful machine (the DS) with a weaker one (the PS1)

2. You are comparing tech and developer know how that is separated by a decade.

It is one thing to ask what looks people prefer, but to ask which one is more powerful, simply could have been solved by looking at the specs.

EDIT: NVM M3d10n put it best. Serves me right for not reading through thread.

If it were so simple, this topic would be a unanimous vote. But...

beril

Magicpaint said:
Chrono Cross, Xenogears and Gradia look far better than Dragon Quest IX imo.

Chrono Cross uses 2d backgrounds, Grandia and Xenogears uses sprites, while in DQIX pretty much everything is polygonal, except for NPCs. It also uses an outline effect on characters that definitely wouldn't be possible on PSX, and the texture resolution is generally much higher than in either of those games

Tain said:
PS1, pretty easily. The resolution factor is a big deal. Even in its lowest resolution modes (which, I think, are usually used in 2D games anyway), the PSX is stomping the DS.

The difference in resolution isn't really that great. Pretty much every ps1 game ran in 320x240, while the DS screens are 256x192. So the games that had the same view across both screens actually had more pixels, though admittedly in a very weird setup.

BDGAME said:
If it were so simple, this topic would be a unanimous vote. But...

I guess. I am just used to thinking that there should be a separation between technical facts and subjective opinion.

It rarely works out that way nowadays, though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So,C.O.P. and Asterix done by the same team?
Ok,on 3DS we could have PS3 graphics thanks to their FUC*ING SORCERY MAGIC. :lol

TheOGB

Banned
nincompoop said:
Nothing on DS can touch the Crash Bandicoot games.
Not even Crash Bandicoot?

That game was decent, but I totally agree with you. The DS is pretty capable, but even with Solatorobo, DQ and C.O.P., I don't think the DS could have done Crash Bandicoot.

...Or what M3d10n said

Ranger X

It's all in all equivalent when you play the game. It's just that the OP comparison is off. (like most people trying to make comparisons mind you).
You're comparing old footage in shit compression blown up in the screen vs newer, smaller, quality footage of the best looking DS games. This will push an advantage to the DS right there. Also, for the comparison to be valid, you'd have to compare the same types of games. The end product and what you can do visually is extremely dependant on the genre of game you make. And the more you go back in time, the more this is true.

Top Bottom