• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Direct Special: The Best Game Graphics of the Year 2023

kikkis

Can you time stamp which segment you're talking about? In the AW2 segment, he talked about their 'new geometry pipeline', which I think is just Mesh Shaders.

DICE gave the best technical achievement award to Elden Rings in 2022/23, over games like Forbidden West and Ragnarok, do you agree with that?
I think mesh shaders are used kind of like virtualized geom in alan wake 2. Gpu chooses what to render and what lod.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It’s High Fi Rush, what’s there to be salty about. It’s just funny 🤣

Well, yes, it is a funny game. Also one of the most visually striking ones, hence its presence in the top 10. :messenger_smiling:

More like $u$pect and at this rate Hellblade 2 will win everything from them.

Already setting up the talking points for the next years topic

Nick Offerman Smile GIF

adamsapple

Last edited:

Killer8

Kind of amazed Star Wars Jedi: Survivor was included in the list over Dead Space. While the cinematics are great, Jedi doesn't look impressive at all in moment to moment gameplay, particularly on console where the image quality and framerate is bad. Plus the PC version is going to remain borked forever now that they stopped updating it.

adamsapple

You must of read.

"Oh and there payee didn't release anything"

reading-is-fundamental-gxtth3.jpg

None of the top 3 games are Xbox published.

There's more PS console exclusives in their top 10 than Xbox console exclusives.

Where is your train of thought going? It is a mystery.

You already dodged my remark earlier about "DF is not a reliable source" this year, but I guess they were last year when they gave Horizon the win. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

midnightAI

2021 best looking game: Ratchet & Clank
2022 best looking game: Horizon Forbidden West
2023 best looking game: Not a PlayStation exclusive.

Conclusion: DF are so biased against Sony, damn shills!

The mental gymnastics are amazing.
Is anyone saying this though?

S0ULZB0URNE

None of the top 3 games are Xbox published.

There's more PS console exclusives in their top 10 than Xbox console exclusives.

Where is your train of thought going? It is a mystery.

You already dodged my remark earlier about "DF is not a reliable source" this year, but I guess they were last year when they gave Horizon the win. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Windows is M$
They are known as PC>PS suspect with Xbox.
They are never trustworthy but are good for basic performance metrics kinda like the laughable oled biased rtings so we use em and they are afloat.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The ability for the exact same posters to shit up every DF thread imaginable is quite impressive.

The list has both major PS5 exclusives for the year in it and they can still somehow cry about bias.

I'm quite confident DF can post a video of Alex giving Jim Ryan head and they would still complain about him not stroking the shaft enough.

2021 best looking game: Ratchet & Clank
2022 best looking game: Horizon Forbidden West
2023 best looking game: Not a PlayStation exclusive.

Conclusion: DF are so biased against Sony, damn shills!

The mental gymnastics are amazing.

I really don't see much, if any of this going on in this thread. It's actually been a very good discussion with different opinions presented and most people like myself generally agree with DF list.

You ok? Does the fact that it hasn't devolved into the scenario you described bother you?

midnightAI

Is that being done because PlayStstion didn't 'win' or just due to a general dislike of DF though?

I personally am not a fan of DF but that's more to do with the fact that they perpetuate 'system wars' more than anyone with their pointless comparison videos. That and Alex's complete disdain for anything not PC (GTAVI video being proof of that).

Zathalus

I really don't see much, if any of this going on in this thread. It's actually been a very good discussion with different opinions presented and most people like myself generally agree with DF list.

You ok? Does the fact that it hasn't devolved into the scenario you described bother you?
I always find it a bit amusing if people ask if somebody is ok on a forum if they post something they disagree with. Yes I'm fine, thank you for asking, it would be quite sad if somebody was not ok over posting on NeoGaf of all things.

Also, if you can't see the same posters piling on DF yet again in this thread then good on you. I can only assume you have those posters on ignore.

S0ULZB0URNE

I always find it a bit amusing if people ask if somebody is ok on a forum if they post something they disagree with. Yes I'm fine, thank you for asking, it would be quite sad if somebody was not ok over posting on NeoGaf of all things.

Also, if you can't see the same posters piling on DF yet again in this thread then good on you. I can only assume you have those posters on ignore.
Imagine having the nerve to claim nothing is off with DF and also *conveniently* pretending not to be a pcmr.

buenoblue

Playing Avatar on PS5 on QD OLED and it looks legit amazing at times. The mission where you get your flying mount and climb into the sky is the best graphics I've seen.

I just wish the whole game was set at this time of day. Night looks ok but sometimes there is a weird fog that makes everything look low res and shit.

Zathalus

Imagine having the nerve to claim nothing is off with DF and also *conveniently* pretending not to be a pcmr.
Nothing is really off with the choices DF made in this video. Complaining about bias against Sony when the previous two years has PlayStation exclusives as the winners and this year had both PlayStation exclusives in the top 10 is quite a feat.

S0ULZB0URNE

Nothing is really off with the choices DF made in this video. Complaining about bias against Sony when the previous two years has PlayStation exclusives as the winners and this year had both PlayStation exclusives in the top 10 is quite a feat.
The competitions selection was thinner those years.

Quote me when DF starts using XSX/xss vs PC with 3rd party games in they're main comparisons.

King Dazzar

Horizon quality mode was absolutely ridiculous
Superb in its performance mode too. Its reconstruction got even more refined when Burning Shores released. When you consider its a locked 60fps, I think its amazing. Plus there's a balanced 40fps mode. I genuinely cant wait to see more games using that engine. Where as something like Avatar, looks amazing on PC, but runs like arse on console. I get that you can switch on VRR, but that doesnt take you past the base low res thats being upscaled.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Superb in its performance mode too. Its reconstruction got even more refined when Burning Shores released. When you consider its a locked 60fps, I think its amazing. Plus there's a balanced 40fps mode. I genuinely cant wait to see more games using that engine. Where as something like Avatar, looks amazing on PC, but runs like arse on console. I get that you can switch on VRR, but that doesnt take you past the base low res thats being upscaled.
Death Stranding 2 PS5 only and the first game already looked amazing on PS4. Cant wait for that one

King Dazzar

Death Stranding 2 PS5 only and the first game already looked amazing on PS4. Cant wait for that one
Funny enough it was only this year I got into Death Stranding. Didn't like the game in the end and I had to drop it. But the graphics were amazing and with its superb HDR, it kept me playing far longer than I otherwise would have.

Jesb

I don’t follow DF too much but I enjoyed this video and the format. No problem with the top 2 that was picked.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
JyQZ0vJ.jpg

This is why I stopped buying racing games. Ultra detailed cars with Sega Saturn assets.
Every single game does this. What do you think LODs are? no game is going to render everything at max quality at all times. not even ue5 games like the matrix demo.

F7UXwbiWoAA23fZ

GEiD807.jpg

This is what Forza crowds look like during the race. This is one thing the game does right.
cXJRGW2.gif

SlimySnake

HFW shipped with a pretty poor performance mode itself. it took them almost 5 months to fix it. Avatar hits the same 1296p resolution (1800p cb) as HFW in its 60 fps mode though it does drop in combat encounters. Its 30 fps mode is how its meant to be played and goes all the way up to 1800p before being upscaled to 4k. that while doing far more foliage, ray traced GI, reflections and destruction than HFW.

If GG decides to push visual fidelity, the resolution of the 60 fps mode will take a hit. A game's graphics should only be judged by their 30 fps modes especially on consoles that have bottlenecks with cpu and vram bandwidth.

Playing Avatar on PS5 on QD OLED and it looks legit amazing at times. The mission where you get your flying mount and climb into the sky is the best graphics I've seen.

I just wish the whole game was set at this time of day. Night looks ok but sometimes there is a weird fog that makes everything look low res and shit.
try turning down the fine tune dark areas setting on your OLED. The night time is way too bright and looks washed out due to raised black levels in their hdr implementation. look up gamingtech's video and see what he recommends for your tv. I have set it to -13 for my LGCX and it looks much better at night now.

xR2mydw.gif

ptOCgwb.gif

Every single game does this. What do you think LODs are? no game is going to render everything at max quality at all times. not even ue5 games like the matrix demo.

F7UXwbiWoAA23fZ

GEiD807.jpg

This is what Forza crowds look like during the race. This is one thing the game does right.
cXJRGW2.gif
I don't play my games in a gif though. In the Matrix case those buildings are using orthogonal shapes, the character models in Forza are also almost like 500 ft from the camera it's instant immersion breaking; You see this amazing looking car model then right next to it you got some Crazy Taxi looking ass character model.

SlimySnake

I don't play my games in a gif though. In the Matrix case those buildings are using orthogonal shapes, the character models in Forza are also almost like 500 ft from the camera it's instant immersion breaking; You see this amazing looking car model then right next to it you got some Crazy Taxi looking ass character model.
you dont see those character models just like you dont see the buildings in the distance. thats the whole point.

Certinty

The moment you enter the open world in Avatar is hands down the most defining moment of this generation visually so far. I was lost for words.

SlimySnake

Why do people keep talking about Hogwarts? Its not even close to Avatar in terms of visuals.
Because DF are retarded and included Hifi Rush and Mario. Next to them, Hogwarts looks like avatar.

Id put Mortal Kombat 1, Dead Island 2, Atomic Heart, Starfield and Forza over Hogwarts. It does not belong in any top ten list, be it graphics or gameplay.

The moment you enter the open world in Avatar is hands down the most defining moment of this generation visually so far. I was lost for words.
100% I called it this gen's KZSF moment a few weeks ago.

The thing is, I am still floored by this game every now and then despite putting in almost 25 hours already. Like random fucking caves will look absolutely jaw dropping with amazing lighting, gorgeous plant life and especially reflections. I think people are sleeping on the art direction in this game. It is an astounding achievement in not just graphics rendering but an art style and scene composition that will stand the test of time for years to come even after we've reached photorealism.

It's simply beautiful.

People downplaying Avatar clearly haven’t played much of it. I thought burning shores looked better as well initially - but once you put a bit of time into it and roam around the jungle, it’s an undeniable generational leap over horizon. And as far as LOD issues while flying - Burning shores has that too, and you move way slower.
Because DF are retarded and included Hifi Rush and Mario. Next to them, Hogwarts looks like avatar.
Yeah they shouldn’t be on the list, frankly I’m not even sure Robocop should be on the list above Starfield or the other games you just mentioned. It’s just the environment that looks good in very specific areas.

SlimySnake

People downplaying Avatar clearly haven’t played much of it. I thought burning shores looked better as well initially - but once you put a bit of time into it and roam around the jungle, it’s an undeniable generational leap over horizon. And as far as LOD issues while flying - Burning shores has that too, and you move way slower.

Yeah they shouldn’t be on the list, frankly I’m not even sure Robocop should be on the list above Starfield or the other games you just mentioned. It’s just the environment that looks good in very specific areas.
Burning Shores does a few things better. Clouds and character rendering, and better vistas. At first I hate them using fog to mask their poor draw distance but now I can see that while avatar can render higher draw distances, they dont always look good from a cinematic point of view. Horizon adds fog everywhere so when you are flying at least it looks pretty. Avatar can look average when you are flying and can see everything down below.

The rest is all avatar and its not even close.

yeah, robocop felt like a very b game to me but i only played it for around 3 hours. its way better than other ue5 games but behind ue4 games like callisto and star wars that look far more expensive.

S0ULZB0URNE

Burning Shores does a few things better. Clouds and character rendering, and better vistas. At first I hate them using fog to mask their poor draw distance but now I can see that while avatar can render higher draw distances, they dont always look good from a cinematic point of view. Horizon adds fog everywhere so when you are flying at least it looks pretty. Avatar can look average when you are flying and can see everything down below.

The rest is all avatar and its not even close.

yeah, robocop felt like a very b game to me but i only played it for around 3 hours. its way better than other ue5 games but behind ue4 games like callisto and star wars that look far more expensive.
The final boss fight alone>>>every thing released in 2023.

where is last of us remake ?? Alan wake 2 looked great in places but image quality is really poor on both consoles and most pcs.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

HFW shipped with a pretty poor performance mode itself. it took them almost 5 months to fix it. Avatar hits the same 1296p resolution (1800p cb) as HFW in its 60 fps mode though it does drop in combat encounters. Its 30 fps mode is how its meant to be played and goes all the way up to 1800p before being upscaled to 4k. that while doing far more foliage, ray traced GI, reflections and destruction than HFW.

If GG decides to push visual fidelity, the resolution of the 60 fps mode will take a hit. A game's graphics should only be judged by their 30 fps modes especially on consoles that have bottlenecks with cpu and vram bandwidth.
Unfortunately I'm always going to judge console games in the mode I will play them in. And in that regard HFW at this time is significantly better than Avatar. Its a consistent locked frame rate, which can go far higher with VRR, doesn't drop to 800p ever in doing so, and simply gives a much better image with a super smooth frame rate. So it looks great, with regards motion fidelity too. For me thats a technical marvel - as its giving both an an excellent static image with brilliant motion fidelity.

I get why you want to only judge at 30fps to show Avatar at its finest, solely from a static perspective - which look very good. The vegetation is excellent. But, when you start dismissing the brilliance that HFW has become with its numerous frame rate options whilst giving excellent visuals. Then you lose me.

If Avatar is an indication of what FC7 will be like. Then I just hope the PS5 Pro makes up for Avatars 60fps poor demo. I'm happy to give it several months in the hope that it improves. But I just dont see Ubisoft dedicating themselves to optimising further for Avatar, like GG have done with HFW. I would love to be wrong.

Last edited:

buenoblue

try turning down the fine tune dark areas setting on your OLED. The night time is way too bright and looks washed out due to raised black levels in their hdr implementation. look up gamingtech's video and see what he recommends for your tv. I have set it to -13 for my LGCX and it looks much better at night now.

xR2mydw.gif

ptOCgwb.gif

I've started playing ps5 performance modes at 1440p or even 1080p so the it matches closer to the resolution of the game. Then let the tv upscale. Works pretty well, I can find performance modes outputting to 4k pretty blurry most times.

I miss native res on on the tv resolution😭😭😭. I feel the industry is regressing in this area. Fake resolution, fake frames just to put a number on the box. When I play older games at native 4k on PC on my OLED I'm shocked at how razer clean it is. I can't afford a 4090 though 😭😭😭

Top Bottom